Martin Campbell Wants Mark Strong As 'Sinestro'

• 64 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

The 'Green Lantern' director gives details on the upcoming film!

Just yesterday we reported on the rumor that actor Jackie Earle Haley who played Rorschach was up for the role of Sinestro in the upcoming Green Lantern movie which will star Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively. Well, those rumors are false, according to a recent interview with Martin Campbell, who is set to direct the upcoming film.

"No, that's completely wrong," said Campbell of the persistent rumor, which popped up again recently despite Haley denying any involvement with the "Green Lantern" movie. "In fact, we're in negotiations with Mark Strong to play Sinestro.

"He's not only a wonderful actor, but he looks like Sinestro," he added. "If you look up old pictures of Sinestro, he's very like him. The Jackie Earle Haley thing, somebody told me about it this morning; I had never heard it before in my life."

I could not agree more with Mr. Campbell, I think that Mark Strong does in fact look a lot like Sinestro! Not to mention, he is a phenomenal actor and has experience playing the bad guy very well, just look at the incredible job he did in the Sherlock Holmes film!

Campbell also elaborated on the cast of characters he would like to see in his upcoming film, which will include Kilowag, Tomar-Se and Abin-Sur.

"Well, Kilowag will be," said Campebll. " Tomar-Re is in it. Sinestro is in it. Abin Sur is in it. All the origin people. Carol [Ferris], of course, who will be played by Blake Lively. All the main characters are there, and it's a complex story. The origin story of Green Lantern is complex, probably one of the most complex, which makes it a challenge to get it right."

Is it just me, or does it seem like Campbell wants to involve the entire Green Lantern universe into this first film? I worry that incorporating too many characters at once will make things confusing for people that are not familiar with Green Lantern's origins. Green Lantern is already a very intricate universe, so having so much going on in an introductory film might mean that the film's plot would lack depth. What do you guys think? Do you think that it is a good idea to bring in all of these characters, or do you think it would make things hard to follow?
#1 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok THIS I could live with. I really wanted Hugo but THIS guy Mark is also a superior actor as well. Loved everything I've seen him in. Glad he got the part.
#2 Posted by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think I've seen anything with him

#3 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

I think , it will still mantain depth as long as they go for atleast a 3 hour running time, much like Watchmen
#4 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:
Rocknrolla , Sherlock Holmes & Stardust are his most recent work.
#5 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#6 Edited by ASKwhy (282 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me, or does it seem like Campbell wants to involve the entire Green Lantern universe into this first film? I worry that incorporating too many characters at once will make things confusing for people that are not familiar with Green Lantern's origins. Green Lantern is already a very intricate universe, so having so much going on in an introductory film might mean that the film's plot would lack depth. What do you guys think? Do you think that it is a good idea to bring in all of these characters, or do you think it would make things hard to follow?

I can see where fans might be concerned with overloading the film with too many characters who are integral to the Green Lantern mythos, but it is a film and no film can tell a good story with a handful of roles.  The story is about a guy joining an intergalactic police force, so there has to be some room for small supporting roles to add depth to the background story as well as cameos for the die hard fans.  Just as long as they don't pull out every Lantern that's ever been a part of the GLC, it should be okay.  Kilowog is an obvious choice since he is the Corps Drill Sargeant and Tomar-Re was close friends with Abin Sur, so seeing his reaction to Abin's replacement could provide some good character interaction in the film.  I would think another possible character could be Salaak as he is the Corps Protocol Officer.
#7 Posted by rudorudo (54 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Strong is an awesome actor - He was a complete badass in both RockNRolla and Body of Lies.

#8 Posted by Desiderina Redhead (4413 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO is Sam Worthington going to play GL? ;p  so many actors are being type cast right now, this guys i ALWAYS the bad guy in stuff!  

could not agree more with Mr. Campbell, I think that Mark Strong does in fact look a lot like Sinestro! Not to mention, he is a phenomenal actor and has experience playing the bad guy very well, just look at the incredible job he did in the Sherlock Holmes film!    

agree and disagree with you here Babs, would not say he is phenomenal but he does do a great villian!!
#9 Posted by Jamiracles (351 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think you guys really realize how good this movie is going to end up being...

#10 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

I really would have prefered Hugo Weaving.  Come on, the guy looks a lot more like Sinestro PLUS he's played the villain.  Guess this dude is a better choice than Jackie Earle Haley, and I don't say that because I don't like him but just couldn't see him in the role.   

Sounds like there will be A LOT of characters.  Whoa.  I can dig it but can the audience??
#11 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy has to play Sinestro he is the perfect fit for sinestro!!!!!
#12 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Desiderina Redhead said:
" LMAO is Sam Worthington going to play GL? ;p  so many actors are being type cast right now, this guys i ALWAYS the bad guy in stuff!  

could not agree more with Mr. Campbell, I think that Mark Strong does in fact look a lot like Sinestro! Not to mention, he is a phenomenal actor and has experience playing the bad guy very well, just look at the incredible job he did in the Sherlock Holmes film!    

agree and disagree with you here Babs, would not say he is phenomenal but he does do a great villian!! "
Ryan Reynolds was already cast as Jordan
#13 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll go with the other actor, "thank you very much"

#14 Posted by GreenGriffin (67 posts) - - Show Bio

i can live with it.
#15 Posted by DarkClown92 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk Babs, I mean I get what you are saying about the possibility of having too many characters being introduced in the films too early, but they do make sense. Hector Hammond is needed as the Earth villain, Legion is needed as the space villain to go against the Corps, and Sinestro is DEFINITELY needed because he was ALWAYS there in GL's history. And if they want to establish him as the villain in future movies, he needs to have a connection to Hal now. 

The only character I can't see making sense in the film is Alan Scott. I love the character but unless he has a funny wink-wink cameo, he will be totally misused. Let's just leave him on Smallville and go from there.

#16 Posted by Rabbit Tots (477 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, why not?

#17 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

wow....this.is.going.to.rock. 

I'm not worried about there being too many characters, since most of them will probably be quick cameos.
#18 Posted by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that they said that Sinestro wouldn't be a villain in this film?

#19 Posted by ASKwhy (282 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" I thought that they said that Sinestro wouldn't be a villain in this film? "
Well, if it is an origin story of sorts, he probably wouldn't become a villain until the end so as to set up any further sequels.
#20 Posted by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio
@ASKwhy said:
" @danhimself said:
" I thought that they said that Sinestro wouldn't be a villain in this film? "
Well, if it is an origin story of sorts, he probably wouldn't become a villain until the end so as to set up any further sequels. "
that's what I'm hoping for...it would be nice for them to have a clear idea of where they want future films to go and for them to set that stuff up in the first film
#21 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

He was AWESOME in Body of Lies

#22 Posted by HaHaManHV (234 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see why this universe would be any more complicated to get into than other sci-fi universes. Just because there will be an abundance of aliens doesn't mean anything. I mean, they can have that first "WHOA" shot and then just move on with it, like they do in the comics. The fact that Kilowag and Tomar-Re are in it make the little fanboy in me so happy :D

#23 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
This is good.
#24 Posted by NightFang (9982 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Mark Strong but I think he should play another villain. Maybe Atrocitus or Kanjar Ro.  

#25 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds good to me.

#26 Posted by Gank (51 posts) - - Show Bio

He's definitely the right actor for the job - was awesome as the villain in Sherlock Holmes. Slap the mustache on him and call it a done deal.

#27 Posted by Justize (328 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great news!!!!

#28 Posted by Justize (328 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO "
YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!
#29 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

I was talking with someone last week saying I'd love to see him in the role, great news!

#30 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Desiderina Redhead said:
" LMAO is Sam Worthington going to play GL? ;p  so many actors are being type cast right now, this guys i ALWAYS the bad guy in stuff!  

agree and disagree with you here Babs, would not say he is phenomenal but he does do a great villian!! "
Ryan Reynolds was already cast as Jordan "
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
#31 Posted by greenenvy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok ok I can see him as sinestro too cool.
#32 Edited by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.  (:
this is a goooooood choice.

He was awesome in Sherlock!

#33 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@timrothsays said:

" @Babs said:

could not agree more with Mr. Campbell, I think that Mark Strong does in fact look a lot like  Sinestro! Not to mention, he is a phenomenal actor and has experience playing the bad guy very well, just look at the incredible job he did in the Sherlock Holmes film!    

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO "
CALM DOWNNNNNNNNNN

<3
#34 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

Come to think of it, Mark Strong does look a lot like Sinestro, he wouldn't be that bad at the job. I guess this is gonna start some sort of dispute whether Mark Strong or Jackie Earle Haley is gonna play Sinestro.
#35 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @timrothsays said:

" @Babs said:

could not agree more with Mr. Campbell, I think that Mark Strong does in fact look a lot like  Sinestro! Not to mention, he is a phenomenal actor and has experience playing the bad guy very well, just look at the incredible job he did in the Sherlock Holmes film!    

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO "
CALM DOWNNNNNNNNNN  <3 "
CAN'T. JUST CAN'T

:(
#36 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Strong would do it justice.  I'd be happy with him as Sinestro... but I'd still be pining for JEH.

#37 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome
he is a great actor
he does sweltering rage amazingly

#38 Posted by Desiderina Redhead (4413 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:

oh no was more meaning like that he is the villain version of Sam Worthington, he is in absolutely everything coming up.... joke missed lol
#39 Posted by r3bB@ (39 posts) - - Show Bio

I think these characters are pretty much vital to GL's origins. Maybe the one they could do without is Tomar-Se.
But Abin Sur and Kilowog are definitely needed, so I'm glad to hear they'll be there.

#40 Edited by ASKwhy (282 posts) - - Show Bio
@r3bB@ said:

" I think these characters are pretty much vital to GL's origins. Maybe the one they could do without is Tomar-Se. But Abin Sur and Kilowog are definitely needed, so I'm glad to hear they'll be there. "

I disagree with not wanting to include Tomar-Re.  Sinestro may have been Abin Sur's closest friend, but it was made clear that Tomar-Re was also a good friend of his, as well.  Tomar Re was saddened by Abin's death and didn't like the idea of Hal Jordan being his replacement.   

Plus, the two patrolled neighboring sectors (2813 & 2814) ...so, say if there's a short scene of Hal adjusting to his new duties, Tomar would be nearer than Sinestro.  Another likely character we might see would be Fentara Rrab (Sector 2815) as he apparently died in "Emerald Dawn" (the storyline featuring LEGION) and that happening could set up the later introduction of his daughter, Arisia, in a sequel.
#41 Posted by Dr. Detfink (460 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry I can't resist. Sam Worthington to play every super hero from here on out!  Boy, I hope not, no disrespect to Sam. lol. 

Mark Strong would be a GREAT Sinestro.

#42 Posted by Argentino_18 (955 posts) - - Show Bio

Hugo Weaving have more likeness... 

#43 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio

he does look alot like him. i was hopeing for hugo weaving

#44 Posted by glforthewin (2355 posts) - - Show Bio

if he looses his accent then he'd be a good sinestro

#45 Posted by pimpnerd88 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally a good casting decision for this movie. I'm still having a hard time with Reynolds as Hal. I mean, Jordan doesn't exactly scream wiseass like Ryan Reynolds does, hell he's made a whole career out of it. And Blake Lively? She's just a party girl. She can't act. She's like 22 or something but well on her way to looking like a used up thirtysomething. but Mark Strong will be fantastic!

#46 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@glforthewin: wat do you mean. sinestro isnt american y does he even have to lose the accent
#47 Posted by TheSavageAssasin (2761 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet!

#48 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

A cosmic police force with magical rings. seems a little too complictaed for the average movie person.

#49 Posted by THEBlaqueBasterd (384 posts) - - Show Bio
Anyone who underestimates Mr Strong as an actor has either extremely bad taste, hasnt seen him act, or like most ppl dont actually recognise the guy because he NEVER looks  the same in any of the films he's in: He plays "Haani" in Body of Lies & IMHO outshines BOTH DiCaprio & Russel Crowe,  "Sorter" (the balding super efficient -hitman) in Revolver, Plays "Massawi" in Syriana,  Finn in Babylon A.D. (AGAIN a good performance in an otherwise iffy movie) Plays the evil  "Prince Septimus" in Stardust &the equally if not even more twisted &disfigured "Pinbacker" in Danny Boyles Sunshine, he'll also be in the Upcoming Russel Crowe Robin Hood movie & ............wait for it.. Kick Ass.. yehh get to know

The guys a gifted actorwho ALWAYS does his part regardless of movie performance reception or even downright shittyness of said movie and him bein headhunted for the Sinestro role can only be looked upon as a good thing &an indication that these ppl are serious about this GL movie.
#50 Posted by Emerald_General_Jai (2306 posts) - - Show Bio
@ASKwhy said:
"

I can see where fans might be concerned with overloading the film with too many characters who are integral to the Green Lantern mythos, but it is a film and no film can tell a good story with a handful of roles.  The story is about a guy joining an intergalactic police force, so there has to be some room for small supporting roles to add depth to the background story as well as cameos for the die hard fans.  Just as long as they don't pull out every Lantern that's ever been a part of the GLC, it should be okay.  Kilowog is an obvious choice since he is the Corps Drill Sargeant and Tomar-Re was close friends with Abin Sur, so seeing his reaction to Abin's replacement could provide some good character interaction in the film.  I would think another possible character could be Salaak as he is the Corps Protocol Officer. "
QFT

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.