Jackie Earle Haley As...Sinestro?

• 56 results
Posted by G-Man (38686 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a bit of news that came out the other day.  AICN has reported a "pretty reliable" rumor from a source that is working on the film.  Martin Campbell is working on finalizing the rest of the cast for the Green Lantern movie (we saw the casting call sheet HERE).  According to the source, Jackie Earle Haley is at the top of the list to play the role of Sinestro.  Haley, as you should know, played Rorschach in the Watchmen movie and will be playing Freddy Krueger in the A Nightmare On Elm Street reboot.  Haley will also be playing the role of "Guerrero" on the Human Target TV show in 2010.

Sinestro will have to be played by someone that could help carry the movie.  Sinestro is a character that shouldn't be taken lightly.  Having Jackie Earle Haley play the role could just work.  Since this is still in the rumor stage, all we can do is cross our fingers for now and hope for the best.

AICN also mentioned that it looks like the Superman cameo could also happen if DC can get their legal issues straight (the idea of a Superman cameo has been mentioned almost a year ago).  Having another DC character in the movie could help to solidify their 'superhero' universe if they plan on taking any ques from Marvel.  I'm fine with that as long as it makes sense and doesn't overshadow the main characters in the movie.

What do you think about Jackie Earle Haley as Sinestro?  Does this get you more excited about the Green Lantern movie?

Update:

Apparently Jackie Earle Haley himself has debunked this rumor.  At the Scream Awards he mentioned that he's been hearing about this but doesn't know anything about a role for the movie.  Maybe this could put the idea into the casting director's mind?
Staff
#1 Posted by xerox_kitty (17338 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he'd be brilliant in the role.  I'm  not too fussed about a Supes cameo (and I guess it depends on who is cast for that role too).

#2 Posted by NightFang (10726 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he gets the part.

#3 Posted by G-Man (38686 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: That would be the question, who would be cast for a Superman cameo?  DC really needs to get going on a Superman movie since they're legally obligated to have one before...2011, I believe.  They haven't really made any effort (that we know of).
Staff
#4 Posted by Nighthunter (29552 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the idea

#5 Posted by spiderpigbart (2716 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh...

#6 Posted by Dr. Detfink (542 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I like Jackie, I'm not feeling it. Sinestro is a cocky tall alien. Jackie is an actor that gravitates to more introverted, dark characters (see Little Children). 

René Auberjonois is the better choice.

#7 Posted by Nyogtha (356 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, if he is playing Freddy and can pull that off, he is one of the most cocky characters of all time.

#8 Posted by Archetype (726 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dr. Detfink: While I agree JEH isn't the best choice Odo is too old to play Sinestro they won't cast someone that old they probably want someone in their late 30's to 40's as Sinestro is significant to the Green Lantern franchise.I do think JEH could pull it off and I'm sure they would want someone who is identifiable but I think Christopher Heyerdahl would make a good Sinestro.
#9 Posted by Justize (346 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Mbecks14 (2114 posts) - - Show Bio

i can see this

#11 Posted by Agent Buttons (12460 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter said:
"Love the idea "

Yes.
#12 Edited by welshguy (200 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a Fanboy so just because he doesn't look like David Niven I won't have a fit. Haven't seen Watchman or anything with him in so I cannot really comment on him. And hopefully Ryan REynolds with a beard because without one he looks about twelve

#13 Posted by Moomin123 (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see Jackie Earle Haley as Sinestro. But I still think that either Hugo Weaving or Daniel Day-Lewis should be Sinestro.
#14 Posted by MrCipher (277 posts) - - Show Bio

I think his teeth get in the way of his lines. I saw the Elm Street trailer and he sounds like he's slurring his lines. I would blame it on the make up but Robert Englund had no fake teeth as Freddy and Haley's teeth are even worse than Englund's so I have to believe he has trouble getting words out around those giant things.
I see Sinestro as a regal but evil guy who is tall and has a compelling (if evil) voice. Haley has none of those qualities... 
#15 Posted by Hadez (172 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this he would look the part if he had Purple/Pink skin.

#16 Posted by Red Rum (390 posts) - - Show Bio

Haley doesn't seems... refined enough for the role.

#17 Posted by jakob187 (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm starting to get sick of Jackie Earle Haley now.  I think he's a great actor, but I think this is going a bit far.  Personally, I would rather see Crispin Glover as Sinestro.

#18 Posted by Deadstroke (179 posts) - - Show Bio

I can live with that decision... however I still would rather see Hugo Weaving do it.

#19 Posted by Decept-O (7683 posts) - - Show Bio

ComicVine users have suggested a great choice--Hugo Weaving.    Great call!  His forehead, eyebrows, and lanky tall build--that IS Sinestro!  Plus he's done the bad guy thing before, give it to him instead --sorry Haley.
#20 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19147 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:
"ComicVine users have suggested a great choice--Hugo Weaving.    Great call!  His forehead, eyebrows, and lanky tall build--that IS Sinestro!  Plus he's done the bad guy thing before, give it to him instead --sorry Haley. "

he would be amazing , besides Jackie Haley doesn't need to be cast always as the creepy or intimadating guy.
#21 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds o.k. he could play a great Sinestro.

#22 Posted by The Crimson Nutcase (845 posts) - - Show Bio

Im for him getting the role... 
The supes cameo, eh i'd be fine w/ that being a rumor lol

#23 Posted by Emerald Warrior (186 posts) - - Show Bio

Better choice for sinesro than Raynolds for Hal! 

And Sups, better be in the movie, as clark kent for a brief 30 seconds (the most) as the Power Ring searches for a new bearer!

#24 Posted by burr787 (2483 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" I think he'd be brilliant in the role.  I'm  not too fussed about a Supes cameo (and I guess it depends on who is cast for that role too). "
What if the Superman cameo is like the Iron Man cameo in Incredible Hulk where it's just two characters talking after the credits. Superman being in the movie could also be a hint for a Justice League movie.
#25 Posted by mrduckluck (133 posts) - - Show Bio

He could be Sinestro
#26 Posted by King Quisling (2073 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? :-/ I mean he already screwed over Rorschach, with assitance from Zak Snyder, and his Freddy isn't looking too great. Well I wasn't too happy with Reynolds as Hal so I guess I'll just avoid this movie. 

#27 Posted by Tmul501 (601 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the guy, but I don't know if he's who I was expecting to see in the role of Sinestro. He's a shorter guy, right? I thought sinestro was supposed to be tall and in really good shape. Sinestro needs to be played by someone who can give off that dignified prick kind of attitude and I don't see that really fitting his personality. Plus it will be weird to have Hal tower over Sinestro. I think someone else should be cast in the role.

#28 Posted by Ectoplasmic (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I really REALLY love this casting, my only concern would be how his height might affect the role. It's not like Ryan Reynolds is a tiny guy... Would they go for the elongated head? Who knows...

#29 Posted by King Quisling (2073 posts) - - Show Bio

At the end of Justice & the Sinestro Corp Wars Sinestro literally dukes it out with Hal (and Kyle in Sin Wars) and really holds his own. I can't see this guy going punch for punch with Ryan Reynolds..... 

#30 Posted by hdorman1 (4668 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the choice

#31 Posted by King Saturn (218012 posts) - - Show Bio
Jackie would be a great call for Sinestro in a live action film...
#32 Posted by bx1 (196 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy is gettin' all the lanky roles. lol

#33 Posted by Bruce Vain (1833 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I love JEH I just don't see him as Sinestro.  Sinestro is someone who's has this inferiorty complex and someone is who is tall and has this almost regal look. Jackie doesn't have that look, but someone like Hugo Weaving does or even Daniel Day Lewis. But I can most certainly see see Jackie playing Salaak ,the protocol officer and keeper of the Book of Oa  . 

Or maybe he could play Tomar Re, but not Sinestro get Hugo please. I just don't want to see Jackie looking up at Reynolds if he gets the part.
#34 Posted by War Killer (20745 posts) - - Show Bio

What ever DC feels best is good enough for me, after seeing what they can do with Batman, I'm not really worried about Green Lantern

#35 Posted by glforthewin (2386 posts) - - Show Bio

he'd be good in that role 

#36 Posted by TheBug (1121 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be interesting to see if Haley could pull off a cold calculating character like Sinestro.  
He seems to have a knack for more...manic roles.

#37 Posted by TheMess1428 (2211 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone vote that Christian Bale and Brandon Routh need to get some kind of contract that prohibits anyone else from portraying their characters besides Tom Welling being on Smallville. Unless Welling wants to replace Routh. Too many actors playing Superman and Batman can hurt their franchises. If Superman is going to appear in Green Lantern, it better be Routh or Welling that shows up. Unless they lose Routh and stick with a new guy.
#38 Posted by jakob187 (1030 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
" Everyone vote that Christian Bale and Brandon Routh need to get some kind of contract that prohibits anyone else from portraying their characters besides Tom Welling being on Smallville. Unless Welling wants to replace Routh. Too many actors playing Superman and Batman can hurt their franchises. If Superman is going to appear in Green Lantern, it better be Routh or Welling that shows up. Unless they lose Routh and stick with a new guy. "
Routh ain't around no more.  They booted him a while back.  If I remember correctly, Routh also stated that he has no interest in coming back either.
#39 Posted by TheMess1428 (2211 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187 said:
" @TheMess1428 said:
" Everyone vote that Christian Bale and Brandon Routh need to get some kind of contract that prohibits anyone else from portraying their characters besides Tom Welling being on Smallville. Unless Welling wants to replace Routh. Too many actors playing Superman and Batman can hurt their franchises. If Superman is going to appear in Green Lantern, it better be Routh or Welling that shows up. Unless they lose Routh and stick with a new guy. "
Routh ain't around no more.  They booted him a while back.  If I remember correctly, Routh also stated that he has no interest in coming back either. "

Either way, you get the point.
#40 Posted by goldenkey (3033 posts) - - Show Bio
@Justize said:
" @Dr. Detfink: 
  René Auberjonois is waaaay too old. "

The guy is gonna be purple, and he's already been astablished as a father for Natu, so they guy is at least 40.  I wanted Ben Kingsley for Sinestro.
#41 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1250 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, I think either Hugo Weaving or Jason Isaacs would be better but this guy was AWESOME as Rorschach. On the other hand he could be Sinestro

#42 Posted by Obsurity (273 posts) - - Show Bio

No I don't think so I'd much rather have someone like Hugo Weaving
#43 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks like he can play the part.

#44 Posted by waruikumo (364 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not a flash cameo? im serious WHY NOT. Brave and the Bold

#45 Posted by xxhellogoodbyexx (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's a great choice for Sinestro

#46 Posted by The_Warlord (1831 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be so cool

#47 Posted by King Hercules (1253 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadstroke said:
"I can live with that decision... however I still would rather see Hugo Weaving do it. "

I think so too
#48 Edited by G'bandit (13664 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks the role and he is a great actor :D 

All he needs is the makeup :D

IT BETTER NOT BE SUPERMAN FROM SUPERMAN RETURNS!

#49 Posted by fanbla72 (39 posts) - - Show Bio

is he a good Sinestro candidate cause of his spot in Bad News Bears or Watchmens?

either way, i don't get it.

as a lame-o publicity stunt for a film that's going backwards production-wise, sure, but considering there's a whole heap of actors in the game that'd easily pull off the role.. why this ugly dwarf?

#50 Posted by LastSon1027 (518 posts) - - Show Bio

meh, I think there is somebody better suited for the role out there i just dont know who it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.