Follow

Sinestro

Character » Sinestro appears in 1184 issues.

Once considered the greatest Green Lantern in any sector, Sinestro came to believe that the only way to ensure order in the universe was through the reign of fear, a crime for which the Guardians banished him to Qward. There he created the first yellow power ring and later on founded his own corps, The Sinestro Corps. He has clashed frequently with his former student and protege; Hal Jordan. The relationship between the two is a complicated one, a mixture of both hatred and respect in equal measures.

Five Things GREEN LANTERN #5 Reveals About Sinestro

• 60 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Five months into DC's "The New 52" and new information still coming out. GREEN LANTERN is one of the few titles that hasn't gone through major changes but we're getting new information each month.

Since Sinestro was chosen by a Green Power Ring to become a Green Lantern once again, he's found himself in a strange situation. Finding his home planet of Korugar being oppressed by members of his Sinestro Corps, he's had no choice but to recruit his hated enemy, Hal Jordan to join his fight. Jordan had his ring stripped and is using a ring created by Sinestro.

WIth the fifth issue and the end of the first story arc, more secrets are being revealed about Sinestro that is further elevating him from the status of being a simple enemy of Hal Jordan. There will be some minor spoilers below so be sure to read GREEN LANTERN #5 before continuing.

== TEASER ==

Sinestro Is Now Planning Ahead

No Caption Provided

How many times has Sinestro been beaten by Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps? It's almost as if we're seeing a transformation in him since he's re-gained the power ring. Perhaps having it once again has awoken something he has forgotten or was unable to recall. He knows a lot about the ring and the Corps and should have been able to use this knowledge to defeat them.

Also, it could be that being beaten so many times has taught him a lesson. Invading Korugar (under the control the Yellow Lanterns) is not an easy situation to map out. There are too many unknown quantities that could throw a wrench into whatever plan he could cook up. He claims he had a Plan B and if he is now making a point of coming up with contingency plans, the universe better stay on their toes in the future.

Sinestro Will Easily Fight Fear

No Caption Provided
    Finish him!
    Finish him!

Fear is what was the source of Sinestro's power. This doesn't mean he should worship fear but he has easily switched over to fighting what was once his entire world. Of course it could be said that he had mastered fear and therefore was able to fully utilize it for his own purposes. That gives him the ability to completely fight it as well.

Sinestro may be on his way to becoming a 'hero' of sorts but he still retains his previous beliefs. When it comes to dealing with those he considers to be beneath him or are standing in his way, he will eradicate them. Despite the fact that the Sinestro Corps is fighting him (how could they not when they see him wearing the power ring of their sworn enemies), Sinestro has no problem dealing with them in an extreme manner. In other words, don't get on his bad side.

Sinestro Broke a Power Ring...Twice!

No Caption Provided

The Green Power Ring is the universe's greatest weapon. The idea of a ring actually breaking never crossed our minds. We've seen rings lose their power when not charged in time but the idea of them breaking or being destroyed never seemed possible. Even when a member of the Green Lantern Corps was killed, the ring would always survive and make it's way back to Oa.

We're now left with the questions of how the heck did Sinestro break two power rings and when did it happen?

Sinestro Knows Something Has Happened to Hal

No Caption Provided

Sinestro's plan when they were to sneak up on the Sinestro Corps was for Hal to take the Green Battery into the Yellow Central Power Battery while he took on the members of the Corps. When Hal attempted this, it appeared he was vaporized. Hal thought the lantern was trying to absorb him but Sinestro said it was because Hal had his lantern and a ring he made. When Hal asked what the Central Power Battery did to him, Sinestro replied, "Nothing...harmful. We'll deal with that later."

Obviously this means something did happen. Sinestro is fully aware but doesn't tell Hal. Not even after their mission. The solicits to the upcoming issues show these two aren't parting ways completely just yet. We'll have to wait and see what has happened to Hal.

Sinestro Is Sorry for his Reign on Korugar

No Caption Provided

Sinestro abused his power as a Green Lantern. He claims all he ever wanted was order. He took that desire too far and his entire planet was at his mercy. He ruled with an iron fist and now apparently sees the error of his ways.

This again shows that Sinestro is evolving in some ways. Whether it's having a green power ring once again or working alongside Hal and the other lanterns in during the War of Light, Sinestro never would have admitted he was wrong before. If Sinestro is showing remorse, it could be that the ring did know what it was doing when it chose him once again. Could Sinestro be on his way to becoming the greatest Green Lantern once again? Or is there something else going on?

As a bonus, there is another revelation that occurs in this issue. It has to do with the Guardians. It's a doosey. But because it's about the Guardians and not Sinestro, perhaps this isn't the place to mention it. In other words, you really need to buy this issue if you haven't already!

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
    TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheWitchingHour

I think Sinestro has joined the ranks of comicdoms most iconic villains. Not simply because he has flip flopped more often than a presidential candidate, but because each of his role reversals has heralded greater change and significance to his character. Sinestro has pathos and dimensionality to him now. Not to mention he is completely badass and seems to be turning Hal into a chump. I think Hal being overshadowed by Sinestro is only going to rev up the engines and lead to Hal's eventual succession as the greatest Green Lantern who ever lived. But until that time Sinestro is gonna be soaking up the limelight and he is gonna do it with gusto. I love Sinestro and I'm so happy to see him back in the green flight suit.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mbecks14

I miss Sinestro the villain.

Skies327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Skies327

Sinestro. Is. The. Man.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheHT

I love these articles.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By feebadger

@TheWitchingHour said:

I think Sinestro has joined the ranks of comicdoms most iconic villains. Not simply because he has flip flopped more often than a presidential candidate, but because each of his role reversals has heralded greater change and significance to his character. Sinestro has pathos and dimensionality to him now. Not to mention he is completely badass and seems to be turning Hal into a chump. I think Hal being overshadowed by Sinestro is only going to rev up the engines and lead to Hal's eventual succession as the greatest Green Lantern who ever lived. But until that time Sinestro is gonna be soaking up the limelight and he is gonna do it with gusto. I love Sinestro and I'm so happy to see him back in the green flight suit.

Absolutely and Amen.

I love all of what they are doing with Sinestro in this storyline. There's no way he'll stay a hero but when he reverts back to his villain roots for whatever reason, he'll become a much more interesting and deadly adversary for Hal because of what has happened in this run.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ssejllenrad

One more thing revealed... Johns is really Sinestro's b*tch. Before it was just speculation. Now it's fact. Nyehehehehehehe!

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By thatlad

What I don't understand is if Hal became one with the green lantern central battery before he died and Kyle was the embodiment of the corps when he was Ion and recreated the corps etc. How did they never know how to do anything Sinestro can?

Ah well not going to dwell on it and let it get in the way of a good story. Not a big Hal fan, I am enjoying this book and New Guardians. I dropped Corps though as that story wasn't going anywhere.

hitechlolife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hitechlolife

Am I the only one that's sick and tired of reading about Sinestro?

Avatar image for stormtrance1618
    stormtrance1618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9  Edited By stormtrance1618

Sinestro is awesome and I hope this continues!!!

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ssejllenrad

@thatlad said:

What I don't understand is if Hal became one with the green lantern central battery before he died and Kyle was the embodiment of the corps when he was Ion and recreated the corps etc. How did they never know how to do anything Sinestro can?

Ah well not going to dwell on it and let it get in the way of a good story. Not a big Hal fan, I am enjoying this book and New Guardians. I dropped Corps though as that story wasn't going anywhere.

Apparently the two humans are all-will-no-brains... Hehehehe!

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eyz

The best Sinestro ever written so far! :D

He's turning into such an interesting and complex character! I can't even remember the good ol' silly original Sinestro anymore XD

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Kallarkz

Is there some kind of problem that a writer likes a particular character? Not quite sure what all the "Johns loves Sinestro" hate is about as if he were a priest and he had to swear never to love a comic character in his life and now he is breaking his vow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but the three Lantern books are just becoming a horrible play of fanfiction and the change in mythos and characters that began with Geoff Johns' run has just spiraled out of control. While I do think its appropriate that a non-human character be allowed to take the spotlight as a Green Lantern (I mean, it is a Corps made up of thousands of alien species that are far more advanced and galactically connected than humanity) the drastic power-up swing in Sinestro's favor reads more like a bad explanation of DBZ power increases than good writing. Don't get me wrong, Sinestro has always been powerful (even in the Silver Age it would take multiple Corps members or a complete Rocky-style knockdown with Hal to defeat him) but his level of power and control has been taken too far in this series. Yes the fact the writers are expanding on the capabilities of the rings is a good thing, but that doesn't mean that Sinestro should be the only one to know all of its tricks. Again, its a Corps made up of thousands of alien species.......at some point another Lantern should have figured the same things out and passed that information along. Even if Sinestro figured all this stuff out why didn't he pass it along. If he was truly about control than when he was a GL the first time he should have been teaching as many Lanterns as possible all the cool tricks so the entire Corps could become stronger and thus wield greater control in their sectors. Yet he kept this information to himself even through the time he could have taught the Sinestro Corps the same thing with their yellow rings.

As if that wasn't enough he can now break rings...........I guess we're completely throwing out the continuity that Stewart tried to recreate an entire planet but because that exceeded the rings capabilities it automatically shut down and wouldn't allow him to carry out his intended action. No, we're now meant to believe Sinestro could overcome an inherent part of the rings programming as he saw fit. LAME!

But I think what's really aggravating me about these books is the Guardians. They've always been impersonal but now they've become downright a$$'oles and it just isn't bringing the suspense that I think the writers are intending. Also given the fact that there are 3 GL titles I have no clue when all of these events are taking place because each book isn't doing a great job of referencing events in the others. So timeline-wise we don't get a sense of what actions the Guardians have already taken (but that's a general "new 52" complaint more than anything). As I said the suspense part of the Guardians plan is falling flat and given we just had a reign of the Alpha Lanterns and a War of the Green Lanterns I'm not sure another internal conflict is really what the titles need right now.

Agm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Agm

@ltbrd: I get what your saying, but to be fair, out of all the Green Lanterns, Sinestro is the only one who was powerful enough to start his own Corp. He was "The Guardians" of the Sinestro Corp. That alone tells me he probably does know far more about how the rings work and can theoretically work than most other beings in the universe.

Just my two cents.

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bookerman20

I never thought I would like Sinestro as the hero.....

Damn, have I been wrong. Loving this new direction!!!!!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By entropy_aegis

Meh,get on with the story Johns.We got 2 filler issues cause Hal chickened out? C'mon.Johns has lost his edge,this is JLA are VERY SLOW.

And if Johns sticks to continuity then the first Lantern was Raker Qarrigat.But since he does'nt he'll invent his own character.

The third army angle seems interesting however.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By zombietag

i liked this issue a lot

Godlovesusall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Godlovesusall

You have an error there. The greatest Green Lantern ever was,IS and will always be Hal Jordan! Period.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By SpidermanWins

Sinestro is so much better as a Green Lantern

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By GothamRed

It's all part of the plan, you'll see

Avatar image for greencrapweasel
    greencrapweasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By greencrapweasel

i really hate sinestro im sorry sinestro fans

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Or35ti

This new plan is gonna take a while to unfold. Psyched for the future tho!

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lightsout

I was so caught up with the First Lantern/Third Army suspense at the end of the issue, I had completely forgotten about the mystery of the "Nothing....harmful" line -- dangit!

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Misterwizz

@SpidermanWins:

He was created to be a villain, and Johns gives him the Green Card and lets all of the terrible things he has done, go free. He was a better as a villain than a hero anyway. He shouldn't be sorry for his reign on Korugar. He did it by his own free will.

Anyway I'm a little applaud at what Johns is doing with his character.

Johns practically acts like he created Green Lantern. He is so selfish.

ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ObsideonDarman

Such an awesome issue. Sinestro is an absolute badass.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DEGRAAF

So what is the revelation about the guardians?

Azrael66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Azrael66

Sinestro is SUCH a badass.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Sinestro >> Dr. Doom, that's right i said it

TheRedRobin96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheRedRobin96

How much longer do you think it will be before he is a Yellow Lantern again??? I am liking him more as a hero but he wont stay good forever.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I was honestly not aware that a GL ring could be broken, and Sinny broke one twice now in this new reality. Amazing! As far as the yellow central power battery...that smacks of Parallax to me. Anyone with me on that? Great stuff otherwise!

cineman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By cineman

Yeah remember when Ganthets ring blew up and destroyed his hand in "War of the Green Lanterns"?

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Neat!

palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By palaeomerus

Sinestro is just doing the Magneto hustle.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#34  Edited By The Impersonator
    Or is there something else going on?

For all we know, there could be something sinister about Sinestro. =P

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By SpidermanWins

@Misterwizz said:

@SpidermanWins:

He was created to be a villain, and Johns gives him the Green Card and lets all of the terrible things he has done, go free. He was a better as a villain than a hero anyway. He shouldn't be sorry for his reign on Korugar. He did it by his own free will.

Anyway I'm a little applaud at what Johns is doing with his character.

Johns practically acts like he created Green Lantern. He is so selfish.

I know he was created to be a villain. I just liked him more as a GL. ITS MY OPINION. He's a braggart and he's arrogant as a Green Lantern but he's a badass warrior at the same time and he is a boss with his ring.

supermanprime6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By supermanprime6

Sinestro to lead the NEW GUARDIANS!!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By danhimself

I really hate it when I hear people saying that Johns is writing fanfiction.....that's the whole point in becoming a comic book writer....so that you can tell the stories that you want to tell with your favorite characters...I think somewhere a long the line fans got confused and started believing that writers should be writing stories for the fans....writers should be telling the stories that they want to tell and if we as the fans enjoy those stories as well then it's a double win

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By dernman
    @supermanprime6 said:

Sinestro to lead the NEW GUARDIANS!!!

NOOOOOO!!! That's Kyle's as it should be. Kyle is unique in his ability of how all the rings are drawn to him. 
    Hope and Compassion are beyond Sinestro to master.
    Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
    The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Kid_Lantern

@entropy_aegis said:

And if Johns sticks to continuity then the first Lantern was Raker Qarrigat.But since he does'nt he'll invent his own character.

Raker was among the first handful, as he went to investigate the disappearance of a Lantern on the homeworld of Darkseid. I was disappointed Johns wasted the opportunity to bring Raker back with a BANG! and instead he just showed up in a background panel while his new sector partner took center stage for five minutes during the initial Alpha Lantern story.

And really, a third army? Johns already created 8 other colored Corps, now he has to make another? It's a big universe, but the GLU doesn't need to be spread so thin.

And for the record I was tired of reading about Sinestro after the Sinestro Corps War. Instead of a Red Lanterns book, we should've just got a Sinestro title or a Sinestro Corps title so the main GL book can get back to the main GL... Hal Jordan. If Johns just HAS to write more about the villains, I'd rather he write a Bat-book that focuses on the Joker.

~KL~

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Video_Martian

Wow, Sinestro seems badass in this issue, too bad I don't like nor care for this series.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

IT'S A MIRACLE:Sinestro has seen the errors of his way and turned a new leaf

supermanprime6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By supermanprime6

@Dernman: Yeah, I love Kyle too. I mean, he just wielded all Corps' rings!! But I foresee Sinestro wiping out the Guardians and instating himself as the commander in chief of the Green Lantern Corps... only to be swiftly ousted by Kyle and his Guardians. GL and GLNG are the best titles of the New 52!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By entropy_aegis

@The_Kid_Lantern said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Raker was among the first handful, as he went to investigate the disappearance of a Lantern on the homeworld of Darkseid. I was disappointed Johns wasted the opportunity to bring Raker back with a BANG! and instead he just showed up in a background panel while his new sector partner took center stage for five minutes during the initial Alpha Lantern story.

And really, a third army? Johns already created 8 other colored Corps, now he has to make another? It's a big universe, but the GLU doesn't need to be spread so thin.

And for the record I was tired of reading about Sinestro after the Sinestro Corps War. Instead of a Red Lanterns book, we should've just got a Sinestro title or a Sinestro Corps title so the main GL book can get back to the main GL... Hal Jordan. If Johns just HAS to write more about the villains, I'd rather he write a Bat-book that focuses on the Joker.

~KL~

I'd rather not have him writing a batbook especially not one with the Joker.Unless we want Joker to have a wife or a long lost girlfriend whose death brought out his inner evil,yawn.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By jrock85

@ssejllenrad said:

One more thing revealed... Johns is really Sinestro's b*tch. Before it was just speculation. Now it's fact. Nyehehehehehehe!

QFT

@hitechlolife said:

Am I the only one that's sick and tired of reading about Sinestro?

No you are not. I dropped it recently.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By saoakden

If Sinestro knew all the secrets about these rings, how the hell is Hal still breathing? I'm surprised Sinestro hasn't kicked his ass or kill him. Especially during the Sinestro Corps War or for that matter when he came back from the dead. I mean really Sinestro kept on saying he was the greatest and now he's proving it.

monarch2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By monarch2016

sinestro>>>>>>Hal

great book IMO

master_wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By master_wright

@thatlad: Poor writing, not trashing anybody but if you think about it, if we all think about it that was just someting so clearly there I'm glad you said that though because I've been wondering the same thing. Like how come Hal, Kyle and Guy are considered such amazing ring slingers but the best constructs of a human GL are John Stewarts? I have literally seen Sinestro ask the ring to identify him : Sinestro sector blah blah GREATEST GREEN LANTERN. And for years they'd leave it at that but somehow Hal beats him. Really?

Anyway I don't see Sinestro as a hero he's like Lex or Deathstroke in that they have undisputed skill but what they want what they believe is good and right isn't defined by anyone or anything other themselves, I mean no one ever said you had to be a saint or pure of heart or that kind of crap to wield the power of the ring. I see this as the same way Magneto is "good" every tem years he'll be back to beating the crap out Green Lantern Corps in no time whether as a hated enemy or simply a guy who has his own methods

Oh like Dr. Doom. Doom's good example of that but Magneto , wait Deathstoke did it too, and Lex Luthor I mean he did save the world, Black Adam, Namor It's pretty commonnow that I think about it.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By Misterwizz

@SpidermanWins:

Don't you mean villain?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DEGRAAF

what could Sinestro have dont to break a power ring but John Stewart pushed a ring to it's limit trying to recreate a planet and didnt break one or the fact that Hal 'killed' a guardian with one thats supposed to be impossible.

Side note and possible Spoiler -I figured Krona wasnt dead bc any time a guardian dies i thought there bodies explode w/ a violent force?

jjcoe9198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jjcoe9198

@ltbrd: Ah, but remember this quote from Game of Thrones: "When I fight a man for real, I don't want him to know what I can do...". Sinestro is a control-freak of epic proportions. He wouldn't give away precious knowledge that would lead to his downfall, would he? And, let's remember, that even though Hal once bonded /w the Power Battery, Sinestro was trapped inside it for a long time. When Hal merged /w the Battery, his mind would have 'corrupted' it, somewhat negating any secrets it possessed, but no such thing happened /w Sinestro. He was stuck pounding on the walls, and having far too much time to uncover its secrets. And remember, Sinestro has a unique understanding of fear. Most GLs will strive to overcome it, but Sinestro actively embraces it, making him far more 'fearless' than any other ringslinger the Corps has ever had.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.