Follow

Simon Baz

Character » Simon Baz appears in 427 issues.

Simon Baz is an officer of the Green Lantern Corp's Space Sector 2814 and was a member of Steve Trevor’s Justice League of America. He received the fused power ring of Hal Jordan and Thaal Sinestro after their power rings presumed them both dead during the events of Rise of the Third Army.

Off My Mind: Why Baz, the New Green Lantern, Will Be Different

• 166 results
    Raven575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Raven575

With the mask he has on, on was really hoping for a hispanic GL. Think Lucha Libre constructs.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152  Edited By kilowog52

I always thought an Arabic Green Lantern would be a good idea. Never thought of making him a suspected terrorist though. But considering the events of Green Lantern Annual #1 and its tie-in to Rise of the Third Army, I'd like to see how Baz' story intertwines with that arc as well as Steve Trevor's new Justice League of America. And then there's the question of what really happened to Hal and Sinestro?

Avatar image for mightydragon2000
    mightydragon2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The race thing kinda feels forced. Its like in an effort to promote equality they use ethnicity as a gimmick. Race shouldn't matter either way if we are all equal.

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154  Edited By Michiel76

Why does he carry a gun?
    Well i'm thinking that his ring is weaker or that it has an error and just quits on him from time to time.
    This probably happend in a sticky situation which he barely survives and henceforth carries a gun as backup.

Now you know what really would be different? A non-american GL!! OMG!!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#155  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Nantucket said:

I hate him already.

Baz... what a stupid name!

His name is actually Simon Baz.

@Band Lone said:

he has one of the most powerful weapon in the universe and yet he uses a gun? -.- makes no sense

Its worth mentioning that he is never actually shown using or even carrying a gun in the issue itself.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#156  Edited By Zeeguy91

@LordRequiem said:

Arab-American? Who comes up with this nonsense? A green lantern with a gun, most likely fighting interstellar enemies. Who comes up with this nonsense? Seemingly getting rid of two far greater characters in Sinestro and Hal, Johns you are completely brain dead and you're ruining Green Lantern!!!!

If you had actually read the comic (or even just the article), you'd know that Johns DIDN'T get rid of Hal or Sinestro. They're stuck in a pocket dimension or whatever and will most likely return within a few issues. Trust me, Hal's my favorite character, so if Johns had gotten rid of him, I'd be very vocal about it.

And how is it nonsense that he's Arab American? I'm Arab American. Are you saying that I should never see any people of my background as comic book heroes?

Seriously, ENOUGH with the baseless criticism! Its people like this who make it hard for me to be comic fan sometimes. All this typecasting and generalizing that Baz is reminiscent of '90s archetypes doesn't hold up when you actually read the comic. If people actually read the comic, they'd see that Simon Baz is the product of post-9/11 society in that he's had to face discrimination and profiling for most of his life. He has a degree in automotive engineering, so he's not some simple car thief. He's actually educated. And he also has a VERY good reason for stealing cars, which isn't simply because Johns and Mahnke want to make him look "badass". Like, really, people stow your criticism for when you actually read the damn book. Tony gave #0 a 5-star rating for a reason. Like....grow a brain.

powerflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By powerflux

Murder of Hal and sinestro! New ring! Rare race! Count me in!

Ijan092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Ijan092

Cause the ring made a mistake clearly when it chose him

nirbu23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By nirbu23

Im part arab and i am fricking digging baz he is awsome first green lantern to use a gun how bad ass

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#160  Edited By gmanfromheck

@BatClaw89 said:

G man missed the whole point of the GL ring Error. the ring looks for people with similar personalities with the dead green lantern. the merging of the rings and hence Sinestro and Hals personalities are conflicting creating the Error. Therefore Baz will be a mix of Hal and sinestro.

Did you read my interview with Doug Mahnke? He mentioned the ring's not reliable. That's why the gun. So, no, I don't think I missed any point.

DocFishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By DocFishstick

i think he will become a great chacter in the DCU

captainadamant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#162  Edited By captainadamant

I just can't take this character seriously for a few reasons.

We all know that Geoff loves, loves, loves Hal. So much that he brought him back from the dead, and in the zero issues, we find out that Hal and Sinestro are very much alive.

Now when a new Green lantern movies comes out, guess who audiences are going to expect? Ryan Reynolds. So then this new character is gong to be put in the background, and he'll probably be put on GL corps when this is all said an done.

I would have liked to have seen a Green Lantern gal from Earth, but I guess that's too much to ask for.

The zero issue was meh. Seriously, the dude just happens to steal a car that has a bomb in the back. PLEASE!

Apis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#163  Edited By Apis

I am fully prepared to give him a chance; but that mask has got to go. He looks like he's about to mug me or something. Is there some reason he needs to wear it? If not lose that thing now ...Right NOW!!

Keep in mind that having an Arab American character is a good enough idea ,although an Arab woman would have been more interesting; without the visual gimmick.

callmethebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By callmethebat

Ok...I have to say it...you have one of the most powerful tools at your disposal (a green lantern ring!) and will travel to regions in the galaxy and have to bring a handgun? Really? Tell me there is a legit reason other than he was a car thief and felt safe with it when he was doing his thing on earth....please tell me that. I like the look, the back story....but please get rid of the gun!!!

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#165  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

He's definitely intriguing. I wonder if DC/WB are testing him out a bit for a possible movie appearance (or even takeover as protagonist) in a GL sequel sometime in the future?

BryanRH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By BryanRH

What cosmic threat of Sector 2814 can Baz possibly face that a 9mm bullet can overcome that his power ring can't? And don't say a yellow Villain. That's not an absolute weakness anymore. It looks so stupid.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.