Awesome Toy Picks: New 52 Simon Baz Green Lantern

Posted by G-Man (19226 posts) - - Show Bio

Every week we like to take a close look at different comic book collectibles. That means taking them out of the packaging. DC Entertainment has been releasing cool figures in their New 52 line. With a price usually around $20, they're pretty affordable and have a nice heft to them. We've looked at pretty much all of the figures so far and this week we're going to look at the newest Green Lantern from Earth, Simon Baz.

The packaging is similar to the other New 52 figures. He stands at 6 3/4". You can see he does come with one accessory, a gun. Many wondered why a Green Lantern would need a gun. If you've been keeping up with the GREEN LANTERN comics, you probably already saw the classic scene when it came in pretty handy for Baz. The only thing is his left hand that holds the gun looks a little strange when the gun is in the holster. You'll see in some of the pics below.

Like the other New 52 figures, there isn't a lot of articulation. With the detail you get, I would almost say the lack of articulation is preferable. These are the sort of figures you'll want to have on display. One of the things that drives me nuts about the Mattel DC figures is that strange stomach articulation. It just creates a large seam in the figures.

He's a good looking figure. I really like how easily these figures stand on their own. There is a lot of little detail on the figure that separates it from the average comic book figure. He even has his tattoo.

From the back, you can see that he even keeps a couple extra clips for his gun. Just in case.

The way the gun easily fits in the holster is cool. But as I mentioned, when he's not holding the gun, his hand looks a little large and clunky. Chances are you'll want to have him holding the gun when you have him on display.

Of course if you have the Hal Jordan New 52 figure, you'd want to see how they compare. I'm a big fan of Hal but I do have to admit his stance looks a little weird. You can definitely see that the sculpting has improved with Baz even though Hal looks pretty good himself.

Wonder when we'll get a Guy Gardner or Kyle Rayner New 52 figure.

That's it for this week. If you don't already own Baz, you can order him from DC's online shop. He's currently on sale for 40% off as well. We'll be back next time with a look at another collectible.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by sentryman555 (830 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks really cool but I was hoping for a white lantern Kyle figure before this. I'm not sure if you've done it or not but can you take a look at the Black Adam new 52 figure sometime? It's pretty awesome looking but your opinion on it would definitely help my decision!

#2 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Baz looks great here!

#3 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4918 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this GL. I think he's just AWEsome. I'm glad that DC is utilizing him so much. ( + )

#4 Posted by noj (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

They probably arent going to release other New 52 GL characters except MAYBE Sinestro in this line. The theme so far has been the Justice League and JLA with their major villains coming soon which is where the possibility for Sinestro comes in. I dont see them branching out to other characters like Nightwing, Batgirl, or the other GLs anytime soon.

#5 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (944 posts) - - Show Bio

I want a damn SHAZAM FIGURE NOW!!! i'm also waiting for that Heroes vs Villains 7 pack... Has the Aquaman from Ivan Reis' art style and a Shiny Flash =D. Check it out!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=solicits/dccomics/201308/HeroesVillains_7Pack.jpg

#6 Posted by sinestro_GL (3354 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else still feel that Johns et al haven't really done much with Baz?

#7 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1544 posts) - - Show Bio

That figure looks really cool!

#8 Posted by MTHammer (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl: Yes, it sucks he's been relegated to JLA after only being in a solo series for about four months.

#9 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3905 posts) - - Show Bio

Only problem is that his eyes are red. Cool figure.

#10 Posted by sinestro_GL (3354 posts) - - Show Bio

@mthammer said:

@sinestro_gl: Yes, it sucks he's been relegated to JLA after only being in a solo series for about four months.

He hasn't even BEEN in the JLA yet.

#11 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

They look like they dancing!

FAME!

#12 Posted by Dud317 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

@sentryman555: if I'm correct, Black Adam doesn't come out till December. Around the same time Joker comes out. It's a safe bet that after they finish releasing JLA, they're going to the Villians after that. Maybe a Shazam figure will be the bridge between. On a side note, it would be cool if they released Billy and Teth as accessories with the figures. Not likely though.

#14 Posted by hammers_of_justice (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome, Also Manrtian Manhunter New 52 out this week.

#15 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5859 posts) - - Show Bio

A GL with a Desert Eagle? Ill take 2 please. Was there a John Stewart one that I missed?

The Martian Manhunter is pretty sweet too.

#16 Posted by wmwadeii (3269 posts) - - Show Bio

I want a damn SHAZAM FIGURE NOW!!! i'm also waiting for that Heroes vs Villains 7 pack... Has the Aquaman from Ivan Reis' art style and a Shiny Flash =D. Check it out!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/preview2.php?image=solicits/dccomics/201308/HeroesVillains_7Pack.jpg

#17 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Day ________: Still waiting for a damn Lobo figurine to come out with all of these. It's past due. WAY past due. If we're getting Leatherface Joker, we should get Lobo.

#18 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (8113 posts) - - Show Bio

Great figure.

#19 Posted by Trodorne (2500 posts) - - Show Bio

he is one of the best GL figures I have right now. Love the Baz.

#20 Posted by nightwingnerd (325 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the Hal so I hope I can get this one!

#21 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@mthammer said:

He hasn't even BEEN in the JLA yet.

Thats because he was off planet during the events of The First Lantern. Also he has appeared in JLA. In the most recent issue he was introduce to the team.

#22 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate baz. There is enough green lanterns from earth already. Send baz to the "house of ideas". I hear their recrui ting. Baz is as bad an idea as steward or rayner. Soon you will have fanboys complaining that baz isn't getting enough attension like those other unnesassary lanterns.

#23 Posted by TheShutup (43 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl: big things are supposed to happen for him, if you read green lantern 20 (johns last issue with green lantern) there was an epilogue at the end that shows a preview of whats to come for him in the JLA title and possibly the DC universe.

#24 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

My foh-foh make sure all yo kids don't grow!

#25 Posted by mtrakos (563 posts) - - Show Bio

My foh-foh make sure all yo kids don't grow!

This nuhka....

Manhunter looks great.

#26 Posted by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

I have Baz as well! I wish he had knee joints but oh well! I am glad I got him!

#27 Posted by sinestro_GL (3354 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl: big things are supposed to happen for him, if you read green lantern 20 (johns last issue with green lantern) there was an epilogue at the end that shows a preview of whats to come for him in the JLA title and possibly the DC universe.

Keyword: At the end. Now it hardly seems as though Baz's creation was...actually, I don't know what for...

#28 Posted by TheShutup (43 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl: He was added because Geoff wanted to add a middle eastern green lantern to the mix because where geoff grew up was predominately middle eastern or something like that, DC was obviously ok with that because it created buzz and what not and DC is really behind anaything Geoff does( he was CCO at one point I think, actually im pretty sure at DC what Geoff says goes)
and now he has him in the new JLA book he was creating.
I used to like Geoff Johns but i don't like how he and didio has more control in DC's creative side of things than anybody else.

#29 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet. I want to get all the JLA figures. I can't wait for your review of the Martian Manhunter figure. and they need to make a New 52 Animal Man figure... I want him for my collection.

#30 Posted by SoA (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw Baz at my local comic store was going to get him, but went with Apollo from the Authority

#31 Posted by sinestro_GL (3354 posts) - - Show Bio

@theshutup: Yes, I know that Johns wanted to introduce a Middle-Eastern lantern...but my question is why? As if the GLC isn't diverse enough, you know, with ALIENS from different worlds, so the whole racial diversity argument is somewhat redundant. The diversity argument can't really be justified since they chose another American-based lantern.

IMO, the GLC is diverse enough since the members are from different sectors.

#34 Edited by Oscars94 (2657 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want a Hal/Simon teamup!

#35 Posted by emmajohn9400 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

my friend's mom makes $63 an hour on the computer. She has been out of work for seven months but last month her payment was $18465 just working on the computer for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more.....w­w­w.b­u­z­z­5­5.c­o­m

#36 Posted by Jaydarocknrolla (90 posts) - - Show Bio

I want one,he looks bad ass

#37 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

@theshutup: Yes, I know that Johns wanted to introduce a Middle-Eastern lantern...but my question is why? As if the GLC isn't diverse enough, you know, with ALIENS from different worlds, so the whole racial diversity argument is somewhat redundant. The diversity argument can't really be justified since they chose another American-based lantern.

aliens does not count as diversity.

#38 Posted by Homew1949 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

like Sheila implied I'm in shock that any one can get paid $9409 in four weeks on the internet. did you read this web page www.Blue46.ℂom

#39 Posted by sinestro_GL (3354 posts) - - Show Bio

@blkson said:

@sinestro_gl said:

aliens does not count as diversity.

And why not?

And what about the other point I made about American-based lanterns?

#40 Posted by Arther (5 posts) - - Show Bio

as Dorothy responded I'm surprised that a mother able to profit $8597 in a few weeks on the computer. have you seen this website www.Blue46.ℂom

#41 Edited by Bezza (3956 posts) - - Show Bio

Brilliant figure, one of the best I've seen!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.