Would U Buy It #14: "What If? Silver Surfer"

Posted by cbishop (7154 posts) - - Show Bio
#DateWelcome to WUBI # 14:Choose Your View:Attached to Forum:Back/ Next
1410/05/10What If? Silver Surfer(Blog) (Forum)Silver Surfer(Back) (Next)

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's one of mine:

Proposed Title:What If? Silver Surfer.
Alternate Title:1) What If? Silver Surfer & Galactus; 2) What If? Galactus; 3) What If? Heralds of Galactus; 4) Silver Surfer: What If?; 5) Galactus: What If?; 6) Heralds of Galactus: What If?.
Collecting 13 Issues:What If (1977) #33, 37; What If (1989) #22, 41, 49, 70, 81, 104; Marvel Team-Up (1972) #137; What If? Thor (2006); Darkseid vs. Galactus: The Hunger (1995); Super-Villain Classics #1 (1983); The Origin of Galactus (1996).
Covers: (click to enlarge)
TPB Cover: What If (1989) #49

What If #33 (1977 series) is there for the story of Dazzler as a Herald of Galactus. I included #41 & #81, because they featured Galactus, and a Silver Surfer collection seems like a natural place to put those. As always, theWhat If? issues are in order of publication. I would usually have all of the issues in order of publication, but I found reason to rearrange things a little, for this TPB.

The last What If? issue includes the silliness of the Impossible Man, so I thought why not follow that up with the silliness of Assistant Editor's Month, making the next story not a "What If," but a bad dream of Aunt May as a herald of Galactus - one of my favorite Galactus stories, and all-time favorite issues. Then we move on from a bad dream to a full blown nightmare, where Thor becomes the world devourer's herald. Next, as long as we're telling stories about gods, how about Galactus fighting a New God? Darkseid/ Galactus is there for kicks, because What If Galactus tried to devour Apokolips? Finally, as long as we're getting into Galactus, why not tell a couple versions of his origin, from 1983 & 1996? Although I think the 1996 tale may just be a reprinting of the 1983 story, in which case drop this TPB down to just 12 issues and only reprint the cover to the 1996 tale.

This would be a nice thick trade of cosmic storytelling, and should be a lot of fun. For the cover, although not my favorite cover, I'd use What If? #49, because it's the best shot of the Silver Surfer.

Would you buy it? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.

More WUBI:

Back/ Next#DateWhich WUBI will it be:Choose Your View:Attached to Forum:
Back:1310/05/10What If? Phoenix(Blog) (Forum)Dark Phoenix
Next:1510/05/10Thor 2099: The Fall of the Hammer(Blog) (Forum)Thor (McAdam)

Want more WUBI?ViewTheIndex
Full WUBI Index:(numerical order)(alphabetical order)(categorized)

Thanks again!

#1 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

A subtitle involving "cosmic" would benefit it

#2 Posted by jloneblackheart (5497 posts) - - Show Bio

Not only would I buy it, I've been dreaming it would get printed.

#3 Posted by cbishop (7154 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
"A subtitle involving "cosmic" would benefit it "

Doesn't "Silver Surfer" equate with "cosmic?" 

@jloneblackheart said:
"Not only would I buy it, I've been dreaming it would get printed. "

<presses fingertips together in anticapatory gesture> And do your dreams ever come true? :}

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.