Follow

Silver Surfer

Character » Silver Surfer appears in 2388 issues.

Norrin Radd of Zenn-La is the mighty herald of Galactus, the devourer of worlds. Gifted with the Power Cosmic and a trusty board that's faster than lightspeed, which he can summon at will whenever needed, Norrin Radd travels to distant reaches throughout the universe as the Silver Surfer.

why is every heroic tale compared to Jesus?

amberlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By amberlove

It is completely unnecessary to say that the Silver Surfer compares to Jesus in any circumstance. Noting the above references, there was never a time in the life or post-life of Jesus when even he was able to accomplish that few moments of true peace on earth. It has never happened.

Since most people on our real world planet Earth are not Christian, it's even more insulting. And to be perfectly honest, it should be insulting to Christians too to always have fiction comic book characters compared to him.

I'm not bringing this up to create a ComicVine holy war because quite honestly, I'm going through a very real one at home.

This entry for the Silver Surfer needs a revision. Something akin to writing "...and some readers might see this as a similarity to Jesus...," would be much more appropriate.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Sparda

Amber says:

"It is completely unnecessary to say that the Silver Surfer compares to Jesus in any circumstance. Noting the above references, there was never a time in the life or post-life of Jesus when even he was able to accomplish that few moments of true peace on earth. It has never happened. Since most people on our real world planet Earth are not Christian, it's even more insulting. And to be perfectly honest, it should be insulting to Christians too to always have fiction comic book characters compared to him. I'm not bringing this up to create a ComicVine holy war because quite honestly, I'm going through a very real one at home. This entry for the Silver Surfer needs a revision. Something akin to writing "...and some readers might see this as a similarity to Jesus...," would be much more appropriate."

If you feel strongly about it, you could edit it with your own words.

amberlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By amberlove

I know on wikipedia, when that happens, authors clash and just keep up a cycle of editing each other. I'd rather present an argument from a different point of view and hope that the original author would make the changes requested.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sparda

Amber says:

"I know on wikipedia, when that happens, authors clash and just keep up a cycle of editing each other. I'd rather present an argument from a different point of view and hope that the original author would make the changes requested."

I see. That would be the better course of action, yes. But, I don't think that the person who wrote that still goes to the Vine.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Apparition

you know some writers are christian and actually put religious undertones in their writing (and some writers do this without being christian), so lots of heroes can be compared to Jesus.

amberlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By amberlove

That's understandably true of course, but as I'm not personal friends with J. Michael Straczynski, I don't have the opportunity to ask him if that's what he was going for. If I ever meet him, I'll certainly ask.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sparda

Well, I would say go ahead and edit it. I believe that Mighty Magneto wrote that, and he doesn't come to the Vine anymore, so there shouldn't be a problem. If it turns out to be a big deal, talk about it with Methos, he usually helps with stuff.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Apparition

i dont see why its so offensive or even why it matters what the writer's intent was. all the person who wrote the biography said was:

"This is one of the many acts Silver Surfer performs and some readers might see this as a similarity to Jesus."

that doesnt mean that it was written for that purpose or that it really is true, just that some readers might see it that way.

amberlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By amberlove

I just edited that sentence. That's not how it originally appeared. I changed it so that author of this article does not speak for every reader.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Apparition

cool

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sparda

There we go-all better :D

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#12  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

"Every heroic tale..." Generalize much?

amberlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By amberlove

Yes I do because I've heard the "why Superman is Jesus" song and dance too many times.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Apparition

a Jesus hater huh?

;)

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Amber says:

"Yes I do because I've heard the "why Superman is Jesus" song and dance too many times. "

Silver Surfer and Superman stand for every hero? Is Batman Jesus? Is Grifter Jesus? Is Iron Man Jesus? Is Reed Richards Jesus? Is Midnighter Jesus? Is Gina Diggers Jesus? Is Jeremiah Harm Jesus?

amberlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By amberlove

I didn't bring it up to start a pissing contest! That's what I said from the very beginning. I made the changes, per someone else's guidance. If you don't like it, change it back!

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Amber says:

"I didn't bring it up to start a pissing contest! That's what I said from the very beginning. I made the changes, per someone else's guidance. If you don't like it, change it back!"

I'm not talking about the page, or even Jesus really, just a massive (and incorrect) generalization.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Apparition

or maybe she's just a hater ;)

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Phorqe

I have no idea what Silver Surfer has anything to do with Jesus. Jesus walks on water... Surfer sails through the cosmos on a Surfboard. Jesus is the theoretical son of God. Surfer was transformed into a cosmic being by some giant purple guy with a head dress and goggles that was going to eat his planet. Where the f is the comparison?

Avatar image for heart_of_infinity
    Heart of Infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phorqe says:

"I have no idea what Silver Surfer has anything to do with Jesus. Jesus walks on water... Surfer sails through the cosmos on a Surfboard. Jesus is the theoretical son of God. Surfer was transformed into a cosmic being by some giant purple guy with a head dress and goggles that was going to eat his planet. Where the f is the comparison?"

I dont really think its comparable but i can see the mindset of people who think their is a simularity

In Christian faith Jesus died for the sins of man. He was later resurected and immortalized (in a sense) He became God's right hand

Norrin Raad- Well he didnt die for anyones sins. No one on Zen La was evil. But he saved everyone in a self sacrifice. He was reborn. No longer Norrin Raad but as the Silver Surfer the right hand of a God (so to speak, really a cosmic entity)

In my opinion this is not a close enough simularity to copare Jesus to the Silver Surfer. I just think if people want to find a simularity they will go out and "find one"

You will have comic book fans say Superman is the greatest superhero just because he was one of the first (at least in mainstreem) Some people will go back further and say it was Herculese. Christian people will say the first superhero is Jesus and he's real and every other character that shares a simular trait came from him.

Strange idealogy but I know of people who do think this way

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Buckshot says:

"Amber says:
    "Yes I do because I've heard the "why Superman is Jesus" song and dance too many times. "

Silver Surfer and Superman stand for every hero? Is Batman Jesus? Is Grifter Jesus? Is Iron Man Jesus? Is Reed Richards Jesus? Is Midnighter Jesus? Is Gina Diggers Jesus? Is Jeremiah Harm Jesus? "

Wolverine is...

Avatar image for heart_of_infinity
    Heart of Infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shatterstar says:

"Buckshot says:
    "Amber says:
    Silver Surfer and Superman stand for every hero? Is Batman Jesus? Is Grifter Jesus? Is Iron Man Jesus? Is Reed Richards Jesus? Is Midnighter Jesus? Is Gina Diggers Jesus? Is Jeremiah Harm Jesus? "
    Wolverine is..."

lol

Yeah that definetly implies relegion. good find

White Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By White Phantom

Post Deleted.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Phorqe

Shatterstar says:

"Buckshot says:
    "Amber says:

Wolverine is..."

Jesus didn't invent the damn crucifix! I don't get why people use the cross as a symbol for Jesus. You think that when (if) Jesus comes back he wants to see an other cross. He'll be looking for his followers, then run away once they see them with all those crosses on their necks.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sling Shot

Many ways to approach this but....I say Jesus's story is the ultimate story of heroism because it's true.

So it is often emulated in art by people who agree with my opinion and just as much by people who don't. I wonder why?

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vrakmul

People compare things to Jesus because Jesus did things that seemed impossible. If I tried to feed a thousand people with two fishes/loafs of bread and one loaf of bread/fish I would have to give very very very thin slices to everyone.

Then again he could have fed the people two whales and a monster huge loaf of bread. Lol.

Post Edited:2007-11-29 16:56:59

Keystone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Keystone

FYI: Superman is actually the story of Moses, not Jesus.

Avatar image for midnight_lantern
    Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Amber says:

"It is completely unnecessary to say that the Silver Surfer compares to Jesus in any circumstance. Noting the above references, there was never a time in the life or post-life of Jesus when even he was able to accomplish that few moments of true peace on earth. It has never happened. Since most people on our real world planet Earth are not Christian, it's even more insulting. And to be perfectly honest, it should be insulting to Christians too to always have fiction comic book characters compared to him. I'm not bringing this up to create a ComicVine holy war because quite honestly, I'm going through a very real one at home. This entry for the Silver Surfer needs a revision. Something akin to writing "...and some readers might see this as a similarity to Jesus...," would be much more appropriate."

I'm Christian and I personally have no problem with it.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vrakmul

King Saturn says:

"Apparition says:
    "you know some writers are christian and actually put religious undertones in their writing (and some writers do this without being christian), so lots of heroes can be compared to Jesus."

Good Point Apparition. "

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By King_Saturn

Apparition says:

"you know some writers are christian and actually put religious undertones in their writing (and some writers do this without being christian), so lots of heroes can be compared to Jesus."

Good Point Apparition.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vrakmul

Apparition says:

"King Saturn says:
    "Apparition says:
    Good Point Apparition. "

thanks ks

Dreadnaught says:

"King Saturn says:
    "Apparition says:
    Good Point Apparition. "
    #***YOUR FIRED***"

in a bad mood scrin?"

I don't like bumpers. And you may now Call me cthulhu. It's pronounced, Kaath Ool Hoo by some. the actually pronounced something impossible to say unless you have nine tongues and your mouth is over six feet wide.

Death Flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Death Flame

spits on thread

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Apparition

King Saturn says:

"Apparition says:
    Good Point Apparition. "

thanks ks

Dreadnaught says:

"King Saturn says:
    "Apparition says:
    Good Point Apparition. "
    #***YOUR FIRED***"

in a bad mood scrin?

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WARLOCK2792

Shatterstar says:

"Buckshot says:
    "Amber says:
    Wolverine is..."
    Crucifying people was an extraordinarily brutal Roman act. Jesus was not the first person, by a long shot, to be crucified, and I'm very sure he was not the last. The only reason why Jesus is normally associated with the cross, is because he was totally innocent, yet, went through the worst torture/death known to man. Unless I see a crown of thorns, then I don't really think of Jesus when I see stuff like the scan above. Also, many superheros (while not all the time) can easily be compared to Jesus. Heck, America is a country full of religion, and Christianity happens to be one of the main ones. Writers could easily be writing a book with religious undertones and not even know it.
    capsvibranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By capsvibranium

there are always religious undertones to anything depending on how far you want to look into it.  personally, it's never really occurred to me that comic books might be displaying explicit religious content.  if people want to compare the silver surfer or superman to jesus, thats cool.  i don't think people need to get their panties up in a bunch about it.  jesus is a popular mythology, just like the greeks and egyptians had.  people today believe in christianity with no greater fervor than the ancients who believed in human sacrifice and animal deities and all that crazy stuff.  you wouldn't be mad if someone compared the story of hercules to the story of silver surfer, and comic books are as much the modern day mythology as anything else.  so i say let the comparisons rock out and try to learn from it.  if they start getting condescending about it, then you just chuckle and move on to the next thing. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.