Follow

Silver Surfer

Character » Silver Surfer appears in 2388 issues.

Norrin Radd of Zenn-La is the mighty herald of Galactus, the devourer of worlds. Gifted with the Power Cosmic and a trusty board that's faster than lightspeed, which he can summon at will whenever needed, Norrin Radd travels to distant reaches throughout the universe as the Silver Surfer.

The Trouble with Zenn-La and it's Non-Existence

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

So I've begun to really start thinking about this and there are some things that just don't match up here: 

Zenn-La was destroyed in 1947 by the Other. Galactus created such an elaborate illusion of it's existence that the Silver Surfer or no one else would ever know what truly happened...  

But, if Zenn-La were destroyed in 1947, in the presence of Galactus and the Silver Surfer (and the Surfer's future self), then why did Galactus return and absorb the planet's energies after the Surfer betrayed him? The planet had already been destroyed long before this event. Why would he create hardships for illusions? Why would he give them the chance to escape if they weren't even real and he knew it? Why bother at all? 

We can assume every event played out in the comics with Zenn-La and the Zenn-Lavians was after 1947, as it all involved the Surfer being freed from Galactus' service. So...

Did Fennan Radd and Yarro Gort, among other Zenn-Lavians, ever even truly exist? Yarro was never killed or captured. Where is he? Just an illusion running around Earth?
    How could Norrin give some of his Power Cosmic to Shalla Bal, if she were only an illusion? 
    How could Mephisto take the soul of Shalla Bal if she were only an illusion? 
    Did known Zenn-Lavians such as Lightwave leave Zenn-La before 1947? He would have had to, or else they aren't real either. 
    How could a being like the Great One take the entire population and the planet into his mind if they were only an illusion? 

So, WTF? 

It seems to me the whole thing was never really thought out. It's a shame. There has been no mention of this plot line since. It's as if Zenn-La and the Surfer's love Shalla Bal just don't exist anymore. I hope one day they address these issues and, as much as I hate when they do, retcon the hell out of this. It makes no sense and seems to be just writing with no research done to make sure there were no contradictions...
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Perhaps when Galactus returned to "eat" Zenn-La and show the Surfer who was boss maybe he was really just reabsorbing the power it took him to create the planet double? Just a random insane hypothesis.

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

Ooops! Continuity Director!

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    " Perhaps when Galactus returned to "eat" Zenn-La and show the Surfer who was boss maybe he was really just reabsorbing the power it took him to create the planet double? Just a random insane hypothesis. "
    I'm still going with bad writing. What you said could be true, but why would Galactus have the compassion to create the illusion in the first place? If he knew that the Surfer would be free from his service one day and return home, why be angry when the day finally came to pass?  

But I suppose what you suggest is still possible. I mean, the planet did eventually just disappear. Maybe he just took some of his power from it so it would eventually dissipate, and at the same time make the remaining Zenn-Lavians resent the Surfer as a way of getting back at Surfer for his betrayal. 

Still doesn't really explain those other things though :)
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @jloneblackheart: I am sorry I refuse to delve that deep into madness to figure out what the writers were, or were not, thinking. If you value me as a human being you wouldn't ask me to do such a thing!
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Jotham

You just blew my mind. And I know pretty much nothing about Galactus or Silver Surfer.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Based on what I've read in Chaos War, it seems they have really forgotten about this. 

First, they have the Gods of Zenn-La introduced and absorbed by Mikaboshi. This seems to be current info. How are there gods for a destroyed planet?

Then, in Chaos War: God Squad, the Surfer references the possibility of 'No Zenn-La. No Shalla Bal.' 

THERE IS NO ZENN-LA OR SHALLA BAL!!!!!  THEY ARE LONG GONE!!!!   ARRGGHHH!!!! 

I'll post a scan later....

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @jloneblackheart: LOL when I read that issue of Chaos War: Chaos King and read that about Zenn-La I immediately did think of this thread. So yeah apparently the modern writers forgot that Galactus destroyed the planet to punish Surfer. Well its not like they haven't screwed up major continuity before.
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @Nova`Prime`: Galactus only consumed Zenn-La, not the people. Shalla Bal helped rebuild the planet with the Power Cosmic, but none of this really could or should have happened since the Other destroyed it long before this happened (ahhh.....the contradictions). 

So.... the current writers forgot what the previous writers forgot.... 
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @jloneblackheart said:
    " So.... the current writers forgot what the previous writers forgot....  "
    And the cycle continues.
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Chaos War: God Squad #1
     Chaos War: God Squad #1
    CosmicGod432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By CosmicGod432
    Im hoping that we will find out more about this in the Silver Surfer's upcoming mini-series. If not than they just screwed everything up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.