Follow

Silver Surfer

Character » Silver Surfer appears in 2389 issues.

Norrin Radd of Zenn-La is the mighty herald of Galactus, the devourer of worlds. Gifted with the Power Cosmic and a trusty board that's faster than lightspeed, which he can summon at will whenever needed, Norrin Radd travels to distant reaches throughout the universe as the Silver Surfer.

Surfer's Strength levels?

SilverMan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By SilverMan91

now ive read were people say that he is easily on Supes level but then i read that he's not even on Hulk's level, were is his level then? like for instance could he haul 1/3rd of the earth, if so please provide scans or evidence, like explain why you believe were his strenght is at. (please note that this is not fighting ability or skill, this is just strength, pure strength and with out any amps from his cosmic power considering he can make himself stronger still).  This introduces another question, how much can he amp up his strenght with his power cosmic? 
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

It has been claimed that his strength has no limits through the Power Cosmic, yet due to his power set, the Surfer has rarely had to use pure strength to achieve his goals. An example that comes to mind is when he and some others were trapped inside of a mountain by tons upon tons of rocks. Instead of using strength to live the boulders out of the way, he simply turned them into vapor. 

He has fought the Hulk a few times, stopping him once and giving him a pimp slap (old comics) and fought him supposedly without the PC in Planet Hulk, giving Hulk a run for his money. But really, these aren't feats of strength, it's just fighting someone strong. He has faced many powerhouses over the years, but whether he was the victor or defeated, it was shown that it was not due to his strength but his other abilities. In fact, writers usually like to show off his opponents strength instead, seeing as how that is usually all they have on the Surfer and no one likes a one sided fight. 

Examples that come to mind include when he was in Dynamo City. He had no Power Cosmic and was shown helping lift giant construction beams. Now, it's hard to say what the weight of these beams were and of course they could be made of ultra light/strong alien material, but they were I-Beams about 20 ft long and steel weighs 490 lbs per cubic foot. Another time without the PC, he punched through a Doombot and destroyed it's face. That has to take some strength. Without the PC, I might put him at top Spider-Man level strength or a bit higher, but of course this varies depending on the writer. 

So, the Silver Surfer is fairly strong without the Power Cosmic and if the claims in the comics are correct, he is infinitely strong, although we will probably never see that happen. It's like when people ask how strong is Galactus. Who knows? He doesn't need to lift anything. 

As a Surfer fan, I'd rather see him win battles in other ways. There are enough bricks out there. 

SilverMan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SilverMan91
    @jloneblackheart said:
    "

It has been claimed that his strength has no limits through the Power Cosmic, yet due to his power set, the Surfer has rarely had to use pure strength to achieve his goals. An example that comes to mind is when he and some others were trapped inside of a mountain by tons upon tons of rocks. Instead of using strength to live the boulders out of the way, he simply turned them into vapor. 

He has fought the Hulk a few times, stopping him once and giving him a pimp slap (old comics) and fought him supposedly without the PC in Planet Hulk, giving Hulk a run for his money. But really, these aren't feats of strength, it's just fighting someone strong. He has faced many powerhouses over the years, but whether he was the victor or defeated, it was shown that it was not due to his strength but his other abilities. In fact, writers usually like to show off his opponents strength instead, seeing as how that is usually all they have on the Surfer and no one likes a one sided fight. 

Examples that come to mind include when he was in Dynamo City. He had no Power Cosmic and was shown helping lift giant construction beams. Now, it's hard to say what the weight of these beams were and of course they could be made of ultra light/strong alien material, but they were I-Beams about 20 ft long and steel weighs 490 lbs per cubic foot. Another time without the PC, he punched through a Doombot and destroyed it's face. That has to take some strength. Without the PC, I might put him at top Spider-Man level strength or a bit higher, but of course this varies depending on the writer. 

So, the Silver Surfer is fairly strong without the Power Cosmic and if the claims in the comics are correct, he is infinitely strong, although we will probably never see that happen. It's like when people ask how strong is Galactus. Who knows? He doesn't need to lift anything. 

As a Surfer fan, I'd rather see him win battles in other ways. There are enough bricks out there. 

"

@jloneblackheart:
    well ya i mean im a big time surfer fan and i wouldnt want him to win ala brick style either, would be a complete waste of his power set.  I just wanted to know more out of plain curiosity than rage that he isnt as strong as other bricks, he dosent need it, i know.  Now you bring out another interesting point..how can he do anything "infinetly" since he only has acces to a finite amount of the power cosmic, like what separates him from the cosmic entities? is it the fact that they can do it on a biger scale or what?  SS can do anything that Galactus can do just to a smaller scale IMO but is that the only thing that separates them?
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

It's been stated over and over again that the Silver Surfer is the most powerful and favored of the heralds of Galactus. Unlike other heralds, the Surfer is made of the Power Cosmic. Now, I'm speculating a bit, but the only thing that stops him from being more powerful than Galactus is the blocks set on him by Galactus himself and the amount of Power Cosmic that he has. That was basically what happened in Annihilation, Galactus removed some of the blocks he had placed on him. Galactus did say he could 'restore' him, so it is uncertain if there are anymore blocks within him. It has also been stated that the Surfer will surpass Galactus some day and Eternity has said that the Surfer is important to the universe. 

Where the Surfer obtains a specific amount of the Power Cosmic, Galactus is the tap and main manipulator of the power. But, as you said, how could he be infinitely anything? That is a good question. One I can't really answer. Like I said earlier, they say he can obtain infinite strength, but there has never been any feat to prove even close to that level. Sometimes you take things with a grain of salt. Fanboys can say he is infinitely strong, haters can say that he has no feats and would lose to someone with low strength and good feats, and the rational can give the answer I gave - I don't know. 

The Surfer is constantly being re-energized by the stars and universe around him. Perhaps strength simply uses up very little PC. Or perhaps someone wrote something in a comic one time they have no way to back up or want to expand upon. 

In closing, would I go around and say that the Surfer is stronger than Supes or the Hulk? No. But I would go around saying that he has any number of other ways to beat either one of them. 
    SilverMan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SilverMan91
    @jloneblackheart:
    thx a lot ,ya that was kinda buggin me, now its much clearer, all hail the mighty Surfer!!!!! :D
    Beta_Ray_Fred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Beta_Ray_Fred

This is indeed a tough call. If it were a question of raw destructive power output between SS, Supes and the Hulk, I'd give it to the SS hands down. Forgive the videogame terms, I tend to feel that the surfer is more of a "speed, ranged, utility" character than the more straight forward "tanks" that Supes and the Hulk are. That thought process makes me want to believe that SS shouldn't be as strong as the Supes and the Hulk. But as this is comics not videogames, this is probably not true at all. One could argue that SS's ability to go blow for blow with the Hulk may be attributed more to his invulnerability than his strength. I say this because SS has consistently show more feats of invulnerability than he has of raw strength. I doubt that many would argue against SS being one of the hardiest beings in all Marveldom. 

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By katanalauncher

With his cosmic amp he can move planets with ease, even without them he's 100+ easily.

vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By vidarrodinson

His power level  goes with the writer.  I seen him and Ironman clash airborne , and both were tko'd.  That was before Ironman become nano pano.  I've seen him man handle the Hulk.  Then need Loki's power boost against Thor.  Spank the Champion of the Universe.  Then get a beat down from Thanos.  Forest Gump said it's like a box of chocolate.  I hear a lot about class 100.  The Thing is class 85.  Well ,how can he deal with someone like the SS.  The Thing took him out with one blow.  The original writers would be shocked at the boost of the characters now.  Who else is just lower than the The Living Tribunal.?   Is he a newspaper? 
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By PowerHerc

Superman is, and always will ve, physically stronger than the Silver Surfer. You can take that to the bank.

likeabossbro69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hes strong to beat superman mixed with captain marvel

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old topic I kno but I saw once he was beating the shit out of Hulk when he was like the silver savage or sth. I think he was disconnected from Galactus or PC. I don't know. But all I know is that he was beating the shit out of Hulk and that puts him up at Supes level strength. He is on par with Thor, Gladiator, Hyperion, and Hercules in terms of strength.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Ever since he was powered up he is meant to have a power level that when he goes all out with Thor it's not clear who is stronger, so just think of him as Thor strong.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

We'll we know his strength isn't infinite because he got his a$$ handed to him by Drax who had the power gem, even though SS had amped his strength

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
    captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By captnmcdeadpool

now ive read were people say that he is easily on Supes level but then i read that he's not even on Hulk's level, were is his level then? like for instance could he haul 1/3rd of the earth, if so please provide scans or evidence, like explain why you believe were his strenght is at. (please note that this is not fighting ability or skill, this is just strength, pure strength and with out any amps from his cosmic power considering he can make himself stronger still). This introduces another question, how much can he amp up his strenght with his power cosmic?

While I've seen the Surfer go physically, toe to toe with the like's of Thor and the Hulk....I've never seen him actually lift massive objects the way those two do. Trade blows with them?

Yep.

Actually pressing something on a planetary level? I have not seen that...but...he has demonstrated he can amp his strength to indeterminate levels:

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Erkan12

Thor & Hulk level.

War_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Physically: I would say Hulk level. However, His amped strength is about as good Superman and Thor.

The reason why Surfer wins alot of fights is because he isn't a tank. His body is nearly invulnerable.

Avatar image for deactivated-652b01b81dedd
    deactivated-652b01b81dedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He doesn't often use physical strength. Energy strikes, speed and other esoteric abilities are his preferred method for dealing with opponents.

However, it's impressive to note in Incredible Hulk 95, he was able to go toe to toe with Hulk while the power cosmic was dampened:

Not a stretch from a prior showing in Incredible Hulk 250, volume 1:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No Caption Provided

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In Fraction's Defenders, Surfer hurls a ship into deep space just outside earth's orbit:

Also, post Annihilation Silver Surfer crushed Beta Ray Bill in a physical altercation:

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Around Thor and Superman's level.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@jigen879: He recently recreated him and destroyed him with power from the Shaper of Worlds.

In 691 reality he defeated Galactus with the quantum bands.

In Heroes Reborn he defeated Galactus with some amps at the cost of his own life.

In the Rise of the Silver Surfer he seemingly killed Galactus under his own power, again at the cost of his own life if I recall correctly.

In canon under his own power, none that I recall.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart: Thanks please waht comic pf what you Said ? The rise of silver surfer is the movie?

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@jigen879: He recently recreated him and destroyed him with power from the Shaper of Worlds. Silver Surfer (2014) #13

In 691 reality he defeated Galactus with the quantum bands. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 #25

In Heroes Reborn he defeated Galactus with some amps at the cost of his own life. Captain America Vol. 2 #12

In the Rise of the Silver Surfer he seemingly killed Galactus under his own power, again at the cost of his own life if I recall correctly. Yes, the movie

In canon under his own power, none that I recall.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart: wow you are great, but the title rise of Silver Surfer isn't also a comic?

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strong enough to tango with Hulk and Sentry and amp himself up a bit more.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@jigen879: No comic by that title I know of unless there's an adaptation

pastepotpete1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

surfer can probably destroy all life on our universe no marvel universe but our universe

Zansuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zansuke

STRENGTH wise.... he is 100+ tons rated, so around Gladiator, Thor, Hercules, Hulk (average)

But there's an asterix, because he can AMP it to incalculable levels...

Cybernetics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably around Low Planetary levels at base, and even higher with Amp

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.