NYCC 2013: Dan Slott and Mike Allred "RAD" Project Revealed

Posted by G-Man (30673 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in September, Marvel started unleashing a bunch of teasers featuring new creative teams on mysterious projects. Because of my fondness for Dan Slott and Mike Allred, the teaser featuring both their names and the simple word, "RAD" immediately caught my interest. Today at New York Comic Con, their project has been revealed.

We will be getting a SILVER SURFER series by the two creators with colors by Laura Allred. In the series, Norrin Radd will meet up and travel with a woman from Earth. Their relationship, which wasn't made clear, will be a big part of the first story arc.

The series is due in March.

Staff Online
#1 Edited by The Stegman (23188 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I've heard of the other titles announced, and out of all of them..this is least interesting to me, I just don't dig the Surfer.

#2 Posted by kilomac29 (322 posts) - - Show Bio

I was bummed out by the FF and F4 news, but this announcement totally makes up for that. Plus, Slott is staying on SSM which is great. Big NYCC for Marvel, DC not so much.

#3 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool, I love the Surfer and I generally like Slott's work (She-Hulk and Mighty Avengers were awesome! SSM is pretty good imo). Allred's work is amazing as well imo

#4 Posted by BritishMonkey (321 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll consider getting this.

#5 Posted by longbowhunter (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

The Mike Allred art is a definite plus here. I'll give the first issue a shot.

#6 Posted by dondave (34641 posts) - - Show Bio

Not of a fan of Allred but definitely picking this up

#7 Posted by MaccyD (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

Allred+Slott=Instabuy!!!

#8 Posted by ectoborge (208 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yeah this is a completely underutilized character in need of his own series. This character and that creative team have limitless potential. Way to go Marvel!

#9 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

#1) Called it

#2) Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!! I'm an so buying this.

#10 Edited by Mezmero (898 posts) - - Show Bio

The creative team seems great. I'm digging Superior Spidey and FF has really sold me on the art of the Allreds especially if they're going to be drawing stuff IN SPACE. Looking forward to reading this even if it ends up being a goofier take on the Surfer than I prefer. Sort of looks like it might be more like the Ron Marz run which was almost like a bizarre romantic comedy. That was not my favorite SS run but it wasn't without merit. I have high hopes but I doubt this can eclipse the Englehart volumes as my all time favorite.

#11 Posted by nappystr8 (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been able to get into Silver Surfer. Even though this is a good fit for him, I wish Allred was staying with FF.

#12 Posted by ChocolateFrogs (145 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not the biggest fan of the FF artwork style, but I might give this a shot since I haven't read any Silver Surfer stuff since I began collecting comics.

#13 Edited by vPuik (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this going to be the Marvel version of Dr Who?

#16 Posted by deadpool25mm (579 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool, i'll add this to my list :) hope it will be good.

#17 Posted by Mucklefluga (2524 posts) - - Show Bio

March is way too far away.

#18 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if there's some important reason that the womans' dress matches the horde of ladybirds.

#19 Posted by RUKM (279 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: same here... those eyes on the Surfer are weirding me out

#20 Posted by Lvenger (18465 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn it all, I was looking forward to this Silver Surfer title. But with Slott writing it, it's an instant no buy from me. I've lost all trust in Slott's writing ability and I won't pay to see him ruin another one of my favourite Marvel characters.

#21 Edited by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

I will give it a shot for sure, not a fan of Slott but I love Surfer.

#22 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

I wonder if there's some important reason that the womans' dress matches the horde of ladybirds.

She won't be just a random woman from Earth so chances are there's a very good reason for her dress matching the ladybirds' pattern. Maybe she's some sort of shape shifter?

#23 Posted by That60sGuy (286 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yeah this is a completely underutilized character in need of his own series. This character and that creative team have limitless potential. Way to go Marvel!

This

#24 Posted by PunyParker (8998 posts) - - Show Bio

nah

#25 Posted by IrishX (2324 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the Silver Surfer but this does not sound or look good.

#26 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3720 posts) - - Show Bio

Of two minds.

Allreds rendering looks sweet.

#27 Posted by Z3RO180 (6334 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh not interested in Mike Allred or the surfer

#28 Edited by dagmar_merrill (6870 posts) - - Show Bio

@vpuik said:

Is this going to be the Marvel version of Dr Who?

In an interview he said he's going to be doing the whole companion thing with the girl.

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

She won't be just a random woman from Earth so chances are there's a very good reason for her dress matching the ladybirds' pattern. Maybe she's some sort of shape shifter?

She's a normal human.

#29 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6160 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man this looks like fun! If this turns out to be awesome as hawkguy, I will keep buying!

#30 Edited by sparty-dbq (778 posts) - - Show Bio

It's high time the Surfer finally got a little more attention. I mean theoretically, he's the single most powerful heroic character in the MU, and the Against the Tide digital comic demonstrated that.

Too bad then, that you couldn't pay me to read anything by Dan Slott now. And yes, it's single-handedly because of you-know-what, so go ahead and think about me what you want to think.

Also, either he's wearing black lipstick or that's just bad shading work.

#31 Posted by frogdog (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Slott writing this book, kills any hope for a good story.

Pass

#32 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Problem 1: the story sound a pinch too Doctor Who-esqe.

Problem 2: Mike Allred's the artist.

#33 Edited by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio

Not surprised at the possible Doctor Who tone of the story (not opposed to it by any means, though). Dan Slott's a pretty huge fan.

#34 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Silver Surfer coming soon.

#35 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2295 posts) - - Show Bio

Take your bets on who takes over the Surfers body:

Galactus

Thanos

Morg

Terrax

Firelord

Mephisto

Other

#36 Posted by JuliusTakalua (268 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great. I don't like Marvel much. I can't seem to understand which series i should pick up. So I'm just reading X-men, Thor, Infinity, Daredevil, and that's pretty much it.... I like Surfer so this should be good

#38 Edited by TheFirstLantern (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

Picking this up for sure.

#39 Posted by david_maurer (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the '90's-era Silver Surfer stuff, so this really pique's my interest. :)

#40 Edited by snarkybits (324 posts) - - Show Bio

Awww yeeeah!

#41 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting! A very Doctor Who-ish kind of spin on Norrin having an Earthling companion. May have to check this out.

#42 Posted by impossibilly (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything about this comic is telling me to buy it.

#43 Edited by Bezza (3413 posts) - - Show Bio

As a Silver surfer fan, yep I can't wait. But which title will I drop to make way for it?!!

#44 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32880 posts) - - Show Bio

I'v been wanting a Silver Surfer book for AGES and it sure sounds like Slott is taking him in the right direction, at least he will stay away from all that earth focused horribleness the other cosmic books are plagued with but my problem here is with Allred. Now don't get me wrong I love Allreds art and it's obviuse he's going for the Kirby homage here but when I read a cosmic book I want to be awed by the vastness and the expanse of it all, I want to see glittering quasars, massive stars and huge planets but when I see Allreds space it looks like a Saturday morning cartoon's version of space. I want something more like this:

#45 Edited by CaptnMcDeadpool (956 posts) - - Show Bio

I'v been wanting a Silver Surfer book for AGES and it sure sounds like Slott is taking him in the right direction, at least he will stay away from all that earth focused horribleness the other cosmic books are plagued with but my problem here is with Allred. Now don't get me wrong I love Allreds art and it's obviuse he's going for the Kirby homage here but when I read a cosmic book I want to be awed by the vastness and the expanse of it all, I want to see glittering quasars, massive stars and huge planets but when I see Allreds space it looks like a Saturday morning cartoon's version of space. I want something more like this:

Uh-huh. Or even this

#46 Posted by JonSmith (3990 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Surfer comic? You've got me reading it. Allred's art? My enthusiasm just went down by half.

#47 Posted by TheMarvelFanboy (266 posts) - - Show Bio

Not diggin the artwork. Love Norrin though.

#48 Posted by Bezza (3413 posts) - - Show Bio

How long is it till issue one is out? I have been waiting for a Silver Surfer book since I started reading comics again last summer. Couldn't believe there wasn't one out there on arguably the coolest Marvel character of all!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.