Exactly how strong is Silver Surfer?

#1 Posted by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

So I'm not a huge SS fan ( I don't hate him, I'm just not a really big fan) I haven't read any more than five issues of his comics....but I was having a debate recently and the topic came up about his strength level...since I wasn't sure I naturally looked at the wiki...according to the wiki Surfer can boost his physical strength infinitely...is there any truth to this? I know wikis generally aren't reliable, they're usually edited by over zealous fanboys and often have untrue statements and flat-out lies in these wikis (I've seen them before) so I'm asking Surfer fans, can he augment his strength limitlessly? If not how strong is he in comparison to heavyweights like Hulk, Thor, Superman, etc....?

#2 Posted by JediXMan (30346 posts) - - Show Bio

He can contend with Hulk in fights. They've grappled a few times in the past. In Planet Hulk, when he was only at 2% power, he was able to toss Hulk, solo the rest of his Warbound, and later take hits from Hulk - keep in mind that this was Planet Hulk, not just normal Hulk.

#3 Posted by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I've seen that but IS his physical strength limitless due to power cosmic?

#4 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5386 posts) - - Show Bio
@JJ62
Yes, I've seen that but IS his physical strength limitless due to power cosmic?
Potentially yes. He's baseline above Class 100
#5 Posted by Cap10nate (2241 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, If Galactus is around, he could be near invincible as Big G can increase the share of the power cosmic that Surfer has.

#6 Posted by SC (12966 posts) - - Show Bio

He can augment his strength true, but the thing is thats a very watery statement. Silver Surfer utilizes the power cosmic and with it he can do many things, but doing many things is not the same as doing everything now. So there are a lots of characters that can augment their strength indefinitely, and lots of characters with strength that has no known limits which is different again from saying those characters don't have limits or that characters can augment their strength indefinitely forever and or reach a point where they have infinite or limitless strength. Those things sort of sound similar, but actually are radically different.

So when someone says Silver Surfer can increase his strength limitlessly, it sounds impressive, but whats more impressive is he is very strong and has examples of showing great strength and that Silver Surfer inherently possesses the ability to manipulate energy to increase his internal strength. If you and me want to increase our strength indefinitely we have to eat a lot of food, circumvent our natural physiology and just a lot of other stuff. Not as impressive. We require much external tampering (unless our biology is radically altered somehow to transform how we function and expend and intake energy. Say if Galactus transforms us. Galactus for a reference can also augment his strength and power as well, on a scale much greater than Silver Surfer, but he too is in turn surpassed but other fictional characters to do the same. Its relative brudda.

#7 Posted by CoachT (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

He can augment his strength true, but the thing is thats a very watery statement. Silver Surfer utilizes the power cosmic and with it he can do many things, but doing many things is not the same as doing everything now. So there are a lots of characters that can augment their strength indefinitely, and lots of characters with strength that has no known limits which is different again from saying those characters don't have limits or that characters can augment their strength indefinitely forever and or reach a point where they have infinite or limitless strength. Those things sort of sound similar, but actually are radically different.

So when someone says Silver Surfer can increase his strength limitlessly, it sounds impressive, but whats more impressive is he is very strong and has examples of showing great strength and that Silver Surfer inherently possesses the ability to manipulate energy to increase his internal strength. If you and me want to increase our strength indefinitely we have to eat a lot of food, circumvent our natural physiology and just a lot of other stuff. Not as impressive. We require much external tampering (unless our biology is radically altered somehow to transform how we function and expend and intake energy. Say if Galactus transforms us. Galactus for a reference can also augment his strength and power as well, on a scale much greater than Silver Surfer, but he too is in turn surpassed but other fictional characters to do the same. Its relative brudda.

If nothing else comes of this post….that was a very

impressive display of validating an answer! You, who ever you are, have mad skills!

#8 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, he's gone toe to toe with Thor, the Hulk, knocked out the Abomination (the de-powered version, not the original version). He went atomic on ole' Ben Grimm in Fantastic Four 55 and looked terribly powerful. Only time I've seen him expel that kind of energy while engaged in H2H combat was with Morg in Silver Surfer Annual 6, when they blew up the planet they were on and split a nearby moon in two. So, yeah, if he chooses to be, he is terrifically strong. Thing is, he prefers to come in low and fast and hit you with energy strikes. In his fights with Thor, Thor has typically been painted as superior. Hulk 250 shows hims stopping a double fisted blow from Hulk, draining his gamma radiation (and curing Banner in the process).

So, I'd say his ceiling in strength is somewhere in the ballpark of Thor or Hulk in terms of max capacity.

#9 Posted by CosmicCommonSense (71 posts) - - Show Bio

hulk has never fought surfer with means to kill or even harm him surf and hulk have always been friends id say if hulk was really pissed at surf the surfer would definetly be in for a beating

#10 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5791 posts) - - Show Bio

He's probably around class 100. He did once tell Super Skrull that he's stronger than him who's supposed to be as strong as the Thing.

hulk has never fought surfer with means to kill or even harm him surf and hulk have always been friends id say if hulk was really pissed at surf the surfer would definetly be in for a beating

Sure.....

#11 Posted by CosmicCommonSense (71 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21:

noticed I said if hulk was really pissed surfer wouldn't wait around for that know what I mean

#12 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5791 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21:

noticed I said if hulk was really pissed surfer wouldn't wait around for that know what I mean

Are you saying Surfer would retreat? Because that isn't necessary....

#13 Posted by CosmicCommonSense (71 posts) - - Show Bio

no im saying the surfer would either talk hulk down or blast him with the good ole glowy stuff but he wouldn't engage in hand to hand

#14 Edited by CaptnMcDeadpool (957 posts) - - Show Bio

He can boost his strength to indeterminate levels. I don't know that a cap has ever been put on his strength as has been mentioned, but I think someone above mentioned him fighting Hulk when the power cosmic was being inhibited to him and he was able to punk Hulk (planet Hulk) and the warbound. He has fought Thor toe to toe and Gladiator toe to toe, both slugfests...so yeah, he's pretty strong.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.