fenderxx's Silver Surfer #4 - Earthly Needs review

Stop and Frisk

The Surfer has saved the girl and now it is time to get her home safe! but, first we are going to need you empty your pockets, take off your shoes, and get ready for a cosmic pat down from the Guardians of the Galaxy. It appears that the Guardians are taking their job as defenders of the earth very seriously as they stop and frisk our heroes as they return home. I love the Guardians and as the movie is coming out, They have been popping up in everyone's book it seems, and for the most part I don't mind. However here, it feels a little silly and forced. Luckily it's very quick and our heroes get to go home.

My favorite part of book is a scene with Dr. Strange and the Hulk fighting old-school monsters like Dracula and Frankenstein. Hulk really doesn't sound like that, does he? It is another brief scene that sets up the next issue, but it is very fun and self-aware, and that is the main reason this book works. I love the way Mike Allred draws Dr. Strange and Hulk, because it is right out of a 70's Jack Kirby book. I really wish Allred drew the Guardians more in this style because they came off looking ... normal, and where is the fun in that?

The book really shines when the Surfer meets Dawn's family. There is a lot of really funny pop culture references and one of the family members asks if space is like Star: Wars or Trek. The dynamic between the Surfer and Dawn is great and we even get to see character development from the Silver Surfer. The Surfer is always very stoic and void of emotion, but we get to see him very cautious about earth, because at one time in his history, the surfer was imprisoned here and does not wish for that to happen again. Dan Slott and Mike Allred have crafted a fun series, much in the tone of Allred's previous book; iZombie (which will be coming to the CW as a TV show). Seriously though, I want a spin off book of Dr. Strange and Hulk saving old people from TV monsters, it's the best!

Check out more reviews at http://www.geekretaliation.net/