undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue of SILK was everything an introduction to a character like this should be. We got to meet her, we got to know her, and we got to see her all through her own eyes, and while the issue may have been a little heavier on the telling than the showing, it was still a fantastically fun introduction to a fairly new character in need of fleshing out. The follow-up does not disappoint, letting the visual language of the book do the heavy lifting of the storytelling while the character gets to grow more organically. The issue continues the focus on Cindy Moon trying to rebuild and rediscover her life outside the bunker, but finding her avenues sealed in every direction, either by happenstance or even by death. Then a giant octopod HYDRA robot rears its ugly head and Silk’s got a more concentrated direction. Robbie Thompson tones way back on the exposition, letting Moon’s actions speak for themselves while still giving her enough of a voice to remind the reader of her awkward charm, but he also does a fantastic job of generating a metric ton of sympathy for her without descending into melodrama or over-indulging in sobbing sorrow.

Stacey Lee is on linework and once again delights with every panel on every page. Silk’s actions are fluid and smooth, but easy to follow and, thanks to her great inking, have a tremendous sense of impact. The action with the giant robot is fantastic, but it’s the montage of her searching for clues to her past that really shines through. Delivering an emotional punch amidst a somewhat disjointed series of events isn’t easy, but Lee’s art not only presents some amazing facial expressions, but everything has an air of cuteness and charm without becoming so cloying that the drama seems out of place. Ian Herring’s colors are likewise excellent, his filter on the flashbacks helping to sell the haziness of the past and his palette being simple enough to keep things light, but also very able to adapt when things get darker and more serious.

The Bad

There’s not much to dislike with this issue. The overall story is still in a very embryonic stage, so its directionlessness is extremely excusable. There is a feeling of being disconnected from the rest of the Marvel Universe, it feels like a very solitary book in that way, and the connectedness of the Marvel U is one of its greatest strengths. Then again, we’re also only on issue #2.

The Verdict

Silk might be one of the most intriguing new characters to come along in a good while. Introducing her in the pages of a pre-established character’s title was a good move, as it built an audience and familiarity, lessening the usual sales slump that an all-new character usually has when they launch their own solo series. Putting two relative newcomers to Marvel on the book was another calculated risk, but it’s paying off beautifully as they’re both talented enough to make it stand out and do something truly great and even novel, making a star from a character that could have been nothing more than also-ran.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

It's really too early to tell how well the sales move will work out. All we know for sure is the first issue was an immense success. I do suspect Silk will not drop below the 20k mark any time soon. My issue with her is, I just don't see anything uniquely hers is all. She's a female Spider-Man, but so is Spider-Girl. I guess time will tell as she develops.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue even more than #1, the story and art is amazing, cant wait for more.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Okay so back to back positive reviews? Sold. Picking this up later today.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I greatly enjoyed issue #1. Admittedly, the Pokémon references helped lol, but I'll definitely be getting the second issue this weekend. I can't help but wonder, though, what Silk would do when faced with a real Pokémon. I've already got ideas humming around in my head...

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I might have to start picking this up saw some preview pages and really digging the art work and add that with some good reviews, may have to put this on my list if I get some extra $

hotroddii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hotroddii

Maybe the Silk artist and the Spider Woman artist should swap because Silk looks Caucasian and Jessica looks Asian in their respective books!!!

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe the Silk artist and the Spider Woman artist should swap because Silk looks Caucasian and Jessica looks Asian in their respective books!!!

Wait, Silk is asian ?!

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I LOVE THIS BOOK. Seriously this book is just great fun. Intriguing main character, funny, great action, beautiful art. What more could you ask for?

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know whats about to happen with that tentacle...

marcohtx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love her name, her costume, and so far her personality. She's kind of like the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, of the Marvel Universe. I seriously hope her parents are alive. Im so tired of all the orphan superheroes.

Kyle_Dornez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't get past the whole concept of her -___-" IMO they really should've given Lady Spider her own book.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am in love with Cindy. Brilliant issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
    deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

@ms-lola: Bold declaration. Get ready for Viners to ask if they can watch.

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been loving her series so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@neghead: I think the implied hentai in this issue will keep them occupied for a while. (:P)

NYBreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This made me laugh so much! LMFAO!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.