Follow

Sif

Character » Sif appears in 938 issues.

The raven haired Shield-Maiden of Asgard and lover of Thor, and Beta Ray Bill. Sif is a skilled warrior and staunch defender of the innocent. And an ally to The Warriors Three.

Lady Sif: One Of The Most Underrated Ladies In Comics

• 80 results
    sturmritter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Excellent article Sara! I have always loved the character of Sif, in both the Marvel universe, and in mythology. I would love to see her in Golden hair someday though.

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenlanterngasm: true marvel needs a leading lady because caption marvel is struggling in that spot and sif does have the potential to be just that but like you said marvel is going to need to strike will the irons are hot and push her by putting her in big spots for the company and not to mention memorable story arks in journey into mystery as well

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Journey Into Mystery is the best Wonder Woman book being written.

Bokkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Bokkie

Really enjoyed reading Sif''s storys so far, keep them comming Marvel !

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By z3ro180

Sif is a great character

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#56 SC  Moderator

@mrshway88 said:

So will Sif continue to be the start in Journey into Mystery even thought her arc is finished with issue 450#? The only reason I picked up that series was to understand Sif as a character better.

Yes. Sif is slated to be the protagonist and focus of Journey Into Mystery for the immediate future. So sales willing, she will star in the next arc, and the next arc after.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

@sc said:

Thank you for this article Babs, its a great write up on Sif, and hopefully will encourage more people to pick up Journey Into Mystery!

@trevel8182 said:

Sif to me has always been the better Wonder Woman.

Its a bit funny how you say that, since Jaimie Alexander who plays Sif has been asked supposedly behind the scenes if she would be interested in being/auditioning as Wonder Woman but she always rejects the notion. Is probably more to do with some Marvel movie contract thing, since would be pretty crazy for an actor to turn down such a big gig but at the same time its cool imagining such loyalty to Sif over a more popular name like Wonder Woman. Mind you I like both characters.

If this is true I've got a good laugh as this is the person I think could do Wonder Woman better than anyone else. Probably just a rumor though as I doubt she'd turn down that big of a role.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she has always been placed in the shadow of Valkyrie

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#59 SC  Moderator

@bluelantern1995 said:

I remember now, its more to do with Jaimie being skeptical of the people behind Wonder Woman, and the story, not the actual character herself.

"I used to be (interested in Wonder Woman), and then I’ve seen how many failed attempts they’ve tried at remaking it. It’s embarrassing for me as a woman, to see what they did with that TV show. Had nothing to do with that amazing actress Adrienne Palicki. Absolutely not, she’s fantastic.”

tamabone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 62

#

Sif has always been one of Thor's best supporting characters. It's great that Marvel finally is taking her out of her supporting role and thrusting her into a starring role. An excellent role model for young women as a woman stepping out of the shadow of a man and standing on her own. Great to have an article about a strong woman written by a strong woman too. LUV U BABS!!!! <3

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

Sif? No no no. SONGBIRD is the most underrated Lady of comics!

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#62  Edited By SupremeHyperion

She is a great character and Journey into Mystery is a great book right now. This is definitely a character who has been overshadowed by other characters in the past (female characters that is) and is finally getting her own adventures.

Hope she only grows in popularity because she adds not just to her own mythos but that of thor and asgard. (Thor can't do it all all the time)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#63  Edited By owie  Moderator

Sif's always been good and I was glad to see her get a series for a while. The dialog was a little overblown in the beginning but it got better. I was actually a little disappointed in the way the spell wasn't real, it would have been a more interesting character development for her to really change from what she's been in the past. It would make more of a difference between her and Valkyrie.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@botiste said:

Great post Sara. I feel that Sif is Marvel's Wonder Women. Proudly written and beautifully drawn. However I don't feel that she is the most underrated woman in comics. I feel that the strongest females character are not just the ones that could stand on there own as the simple warriors with class, but are the ones that hold multiple titles. I look at my wife and I find that her best characteristic and traits will never reach comics because there just not popular. She is the strong leader and CEO of her company, and awesome and supportive wife, an encouraging and proactive mother to our children, a great friend to those around her, a caring daughter to her parents, she has her own relationship and views about God, she is beautiful and inspiring to be around. She is by far stronger then I am, and she doesn't have to beat me at arm wrestling to prove it. Women are so underwritten in comics that we often categorize and compare their strength to that men to prove their worth, when women are so much more beautifully complex. No I don't think that Sif is as strong as Thor. Thor is the cosmic god of thunder, Sif is an Asgardian warrior. I don't she her taking on the Hulk, Thanos or the Silver Surfer and wining. That does not make Sif any less of a warrior because she is or is not as strong as Thor. I do however feel that she is MORE skillfully trained then Thor in the killing arts. While being a fearless fighter and compassionate warrior are great traits to have, we see this of many female characters in comics. Storm in her early years, Red Sonya, Captain Marvel, Valkyrie, Black Canary, the list goes on. I guess it's just me, but I want to see more. Sif is a great character, but I think that she has a greater story to tell the fearless warrior bit. The most underrated women in comics are not the slim sexy warriors, but the little thicker yet still beautiful mothers, the single parent women, the minority women, the married women, the single yet holding her own women, the pregnant women, and the older women (God forbid we should show that, right) how about just the well written no matter the race or nationality women to name a few. Sorry for the rant, I hope that I didn't offend anyone. Great Job Sara.

Just had to quote this. Your points are spectacular.

Black_Cat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are quite a few female comic characters who deserve a hell of a lot more visibility than what they're currently getting. My user name makes one such character a little obvious.

Luckily, Fearless Defenders seems to be looking to open some doors and get a lot of under appreciated characters more exposure.

Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

Great article! Thank you for finally saying it!

Lord_Sidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Sif, She-Hulk, Valkyrie, Red She-Hulk (needs a new name), Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Power girl (pre-52), Supergirl and Batgirl all need to do a team up in a comic sometime.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Great article Sara, it's nice to read about a character/comic that doesn't get as much attention as it looks like it should.

this

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

For a long time Valkyrie was in the spotlight, Sif was merely "more of the same"

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them both, but she and Valkyrie are too much alike, and it's not because they are both female Asgardian warriors. Their temperaments are identical--you could swap costumes and put them in wigs, and you couldn't tell the difference.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@sidious said:

I think Sif, She-Hulk, Valkyrie, Red She-Hulk (needs a new name), Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Power girl (pre-52), Supergirl and Batgirl all need to do a team up in a comic sometime.

This. Although, swap out Batgirl for Black Widow, Black Canary, Starfire, or Vixen. I think it'd be refreshing to have at least one team-up that wasn't with a Bat-Family character.

devil leonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn I knew I was missing something when i first saw this series...well least there is alway the trades! Good Article too by the way Sara!

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By darkman61288
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Syf is one of my favorite characters of all time and an important part of the whole Asgard mythos. For me the fact that she is underrated proves that while it is an unfortunate situation that there is also the chance for so much potential to be brought out of her in comics literature, so while it must be obviously sad that she has such an underrated reputation, let it also be a sign that this can eventually be changed!

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have a stack of Sif's JIM I need to read. Truth be told she has never interested me that much. I've read a lot of Thor stories and whereas the Warriors Three, Odin, and heck Tyr and Heimdall have all been given some degree of characterization aside from their base roles Sif never has before now. She was always the warrior who either fought beside Thor, waited at home for Thor, or hooked up with the nearest Thor lookalike. She never had any real depth that did not revolve around Thor. I think it is kind of sad that it it only now that she is getting some real character development. I am glad though and it is about time.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sif is awesome!!! She's probably one of the most underrated characters in the industry.

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By GeekyEverAfter

I'm fairly new to Marvel Comics, so I'm not to familiar with Sif. But I too know how it feels to see a beloved character not given the respect and admiration they deserve and while reading this atricle I was amazed at how awesome she is. Thank you for helping bring recognition to Sif and reminding others how amazing Sif is.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love Sif i do agree so underrated she could have been marvel's equivalent for wonder woman, but alas they never used her well. I still love her will also be one of my fave marvel females right up there with storm, psylocke, ms marvel, blackwidow, silver sable etc

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc:

Sorry for this very very late tag (and somehow inconsequential) i guess i just want to say to someone that post here when the tread was "alive" and being discussed how cool/fantastic this thread is!

Sif! Is just Awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.