Follow

Shutter #2

Shutter » Shutter #2 released by Image on May 2014.

Shutter #2

MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MissJ

The Good

Kate Kristopher is on a wild adventure, and we are too, as SHUTTER spirals stranger and stranger (and hints at more layers of mystery) with every page. This series drops one surprise after another, and the Kristopher siblings are clearly unlike anything we've seen before.

It's totally appropriate that the protagonist of SHUTTER is a photographer, because this book is all about the visuals. Every page features active, captivating illustrations, and Leila Del Duca is quickly climbing my favorite-artists list. I'm stunned by how much she's able to pack into a single panel without getting distracting. She's clever and versatile, bringing a totally strange world to life and juxtaposing several wildly different styles of characters and environments.

I'm also really into how lettering is being handled on this book; it's clean and thoughtful, but a hint more adventurous than some other titles. The changes in typeface really help keep things readable and organized amidst fast-paced sequences, and none of the balloons intrude on Del Duca's gorgeous illustrations. In short? Ed Brisson nails it.

The Bad

I'll be honest: I am thoroughly confused by the parameters of this story world. I can't tell what's out of the ordinary and what's normal-weird. I like weird, but I also like being able to get a sense of the setting, so it's a little bit frustrating when those cues are absent.

The Verdict

SHUTTER has definitely piqued my curiosity; it's a completely different world from anything else in comics right now, and there's so much to unpack. It's also fantastic to look at; I'm truly fascinated by Leila Del Duca's imaginative pages. They're bold, they're high-energy, and they're just so full of amazing details that I want to see what's next.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I wasn't a huge fan of the first issue, I still might give this one a look though

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ugh, anytime Jen reviews a non-superhero book I wind up adding it to my pull list and I'm out of room right now. But fine, I'll give it a shot.

MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iaconpoint: Pick up issue #1 and see if it's your cup of tea.

TheUnN4med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheUnN4med

I liked the first issue, so i picking this up! :)

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Really want to read this. A lot image comics on my "want to read," list.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I loved it. Really, really loved it. I can't get over the incredible imagination (and talent) to be found out there and their recommendations across the media world at the end of the books are so cool. I can't wait for the third book. The subtle steampunkishness is a bonus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wasn't a huge fan of the first issue, I still might give this one a look though

Me neither.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.