So he's Marvel rip-off of 'you know who', right?

#1 Posted by Calvin (3583 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Asymmetrical (23748 posts) - - Show Bio

a rip-off of Arseface? I don't even need to know who he is to know that's not true...votes "no"

#3 Posted by Vance Astro (89534 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks kind of like Raven but his powers are more like...iunno..someone who isn't Raven.

#4 Posted by Calvin (3583 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:

" a rip-off of Arseface? I don't even need to know who he is to know that's not true...votes "no" "

oh come on! his page says  

"After his parents were killed in front of himvowed to fight crime in any way he could. Growing up to run his parents company, he is currently a fugitive of the Superhero Registration Act."! 

He also went to asia to study martial arts! He dresses all black!? All we can see is his chin and mouth!?
#5 Posted by geraldthesloth (32689 posts) - - Show Bio
@Calvin: LOL! I just got it BATMAN!
#6 Posted by Asymmetrical (23748 posts) - - Show Bio
@Calvin said:
" @aztek the lost said:

" a rip-off of Arseface? I don't even need to know who he is to know that's not true...votes "no" "

oh come on! his page says  

"After his parents were killed in front of himvowed to fight crime in any way he could. Growing up to run his parents company, he is currently a fugitive of the Superhero Registration Act."! 

He also went to asia to study martial arts! He dresses all black!? All we can see is his chin and mouth!? "
it was a joke :( 

the Arseface-focused one-shot is called "the story of you-know-who"... 

and I was too lazy to read the bio to figure out who he was a rip-off of but I'm sure you can find a character in some mythology that someone could make a case for as being the original Batman, it's not hard to claim one character mold is a rip-off of another
#7 Posted by Crackdown (633 posts) - - Show Bio

You realize a hero whose parents were murdered in front of him, and runs his parents company is like, a BUNCH of superheroes?

#8 Posted by kore (400 posts) - - Show Bio

Moon Knight is more of a Batman knockoff.

#9 Posted by Crackdown (633 posts) - - Show Bio

Moon Knight is more that he's a rich playboy with a similar outfit. But Moon Knight and Batman have totally different childhoods, beliefs, and reasons for fighting crime

#10 Posted by whirlwind6 (309 posts) - - Show Bio

1.  Shroud has very unique powers (as opposed to Batman's 0) 
2. Shroud is blind 
3.  Batman isn't original at all!!  He's a rip off of the Shadow....
#11 Posted by Vance Astro (89534 posts) - - Show Bio
@whirlwind6 said:
" 1.  Shroud has very unique powers (as opposed to Batman's 0) 2. Shroud is blind 3.  Batman isn't original at all!!  He's a rip off of the Shadow.... "
Batman may have borrowed aspects of the Shadow...doesn't mean he's not original AT ALL. 

@Crackdown said:
" Moon Knight is more that he's a rich playboy with a similar outfit. But Moon Knight and Batman have totally different childhoods, beliefs, and reasons for fighting crime "
Not only is his outfit similar but he also has weapons and gadgets with the word "MOON" in it like Batman does with "BAT".
#12 Edited by Crackdown (633 posts) - - Show Bio

Using that example you could include:
Spider-Man
Spider Mobile, Spider Tracer, Spider Signal

Just because someone has gadgets that include the name of the person that uses them, doesn't make them a copycat.

Why does Batman fight crime?
To make sure no one goes through the tragedy he did. He doesn't kill

Why does Moon Knight fight crime?
To both make up for his past mistakes and wrong doings, and to please his God. He does occasionally kill and uses brutal force all the time.

So he has a cape and a utility belt? The cape was the cloak from Khonshu, and the utility belt? Hell, those things are useful, police have them. Police have Police Cars, Police Stations, Police outfits, this and that. Does that make other types of law enforcement copycats? No.

Other than that, their outfits are different. Batman has a cape, cowl, utility belt, yes
Moon Knight? Cape, Hood, full head mask, knives, nunchaku, blades, guns, 

The point is, aside from the cape, utility belt, and themed weapons (which a crescent shaped blade make more physics sense then a bat shaped one) there isn't anything else they do the same on.

#13 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crackdown: 
in his origin story he wasnt no. but he's definatly been molded to be a hat-tip to Batman in a major way,
and that being in his theme. Marvel really has never denied, and DC never really minded. but he has a 
Mooncopter and Aerowing, come on. the similarities are there and obviously they were intentional and
they werent ever trying to hide that fact.
#14 Posted by Bearded Justice (788 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crackdown said:

"Using that example you could include: Spider-Man Spider Mobile, Spider Tracer, Spider Signal   Just because someone has gadgets that include the name of the person that uses them, doesn't make them a copycat.  Why does Batman fight crime? To make sure no one goes through the tragedy he did. He doesn't kill  Why does Moon Knight fight crime? To both make up for his past mistakes and wrong doings, and to please his God. He does occasionally kill and uses brutal force all the time.  So he has a cape and a utility belt? The cape was the cloak from Khonshu, and the utility belt? Hell, those things are useful, police have them. Police have Police Cars, Police Stations, Police outfits, this and that. Does that make other types of law enforcement copycats? No.  Other than that, their outfits are different. Batman has a cape, cowl, utility belt, yes Moon Knight? Cape, Hood, full head mask, knives, nunchaku, blades, guns,   The point is, aside from the cape, utility belt, and themed weapons (which a crescent shaped blade make more physics sense then a bat shaped one) there isn't anything else they do the same on. "

Thank you for explaining that!  A lot of people don't like MK just because they think he's a Batman rip-off.  Yes, there are similarities, but Moon Knight is cool as hell, and that's all there is to it.    
#15 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bearded Justice: 
i rarely hear anyone say they dont like Moon Knight because he's a Batman.
people that say he is do get accused of not liking him and being haters however.
i personally like Moon Knight, depending on the writer. i bought his old stuff when i was
a kid. 
he's also a rip-off of Batman.lol.
#16 Posted by Bearded Justice (788 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE:
ha, I know, but I just don't like admitting it. 
#17 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bearded Justice: 
i dont mind. the fact that he is part of why i like MK. its not like he was copied and they acted like he wasnt, 
he was done so as more of a hat-tip. the character like a character thing almost never bothers me since
its done so much and done by everyone, and none of them seem to mind. between Marvel and DC at this
point i think they almost must expect the other to play follow the leader.
#18 Posted by Bearded Justice (788 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE:
I certainly agree on that. 

Oh, and that's a no for me about the Shroud.  Well to be honest, I just randomly clicked on this topic, and then I saw Moon Knight so I had to give my 2 cents about that.  I just now looked up Shroud.  He looks kinda cool, actually. 
#19 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5632 posts) - - Show Bio

Originaly, yes The Shroud was a copy of Batman and, if you look closely, Daredevil.  Seems to me the creators of Shroud thought it would be cool st combine the two heroes and see what happend XD 

As we all know now, The Shroud has (or should of) come into his own with his power set.   

I enjoyed The Shroud from the begining when he took out Dr. Doom ;)  (silly Atlantians)

#20 Posted by PB210 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

The Shrould's Oriental tutelage came from the Shadow. The story of Bruce Wayne traveling to Tibet did not interpolate itself into his origin until the 1980's. 

On Moon Knight, his penchant for alternate identities derives from the Shadow (note that the Shadow only posed as Lamont Cranston, similar to Moon Knight's establishment of Steven Grant).

#21 Edited by Vance Astro (89534 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crackdown said:

" Using that example you could include: Spider-Man Spider Mobile, Spider Tracer, Spider Signal   Just because someone has gadgets that include the name of the person that uses them, doesn't make them a copycat.  Why does Batman fight crime? To make sure no one goes through the tragedy he did. He doesn't kill  Why does Moon Knight fight crime? To both make up for his past mistakes and wrong doings, and to please his God. He does occasionally kill and uses brutal force all the time.  So he has a cape and a utility belt? The cape was the cloak from Khonshu, and the utility belt? Hell, those things are useful, police have them. Police have Police Cars, Police Stations, Police outfits, this and that. Does that make other types of law enforcement copycats? No.  Other than that, their outfits are different. Batman has a cape, cowl, utility belt, yes Moon Knight? Cape, Hood, full head mask, knives, nunchaku, blades, guns,   The point is, aside from the cape, utility belt, and themed weapons (which a crescent shaped blade make more physics sense then a bat shaped one) there isn't anything else they do the same on. "

Moon Knight's character design is clearly based off of Batman.You can try to spin it anyway you want.It's obvious. 
This is like saying Gladiator isn't a rip-off of Superman.He doesn't have much in common story wise but Gladiator is OBVIOUSLY based off of him.
#22 Posted by ReverseNegative (2974 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Crackdown said:

" Using that example you could include: Spider-Man Spider Mobile, Spider Tracer, Spider Signal   Just because someone has gadgets that include the name of the person that uses them, doesn't make them a copycat.  Why does Batman fight crime? To make sure no one goes through the tragedy he did. He doesn't kill  Why does Moon Knight fight crime? To both make up for his past mistakes and wrong doings, and to please his God. He does occasionally kill and uses brutal force all the time.  So he has a cape and a utility belt? The cape was the cloak from Khonshu, and the utility belt? Hell, those things are useful, police have them. Police have Police Cars, Police Stations, Police outfits, this and that. Does that make other types of law enforcement copycats? No.  Other than that, their outfits are different. Batman has a cape, cowl, utility belt, yes Moon Knight? Cape, Hood, full head mask, knives, nunchaku, blades, guns,   The point is, aside from the cape, utility belt, and themed weapons (which a crescent shaped blade make more physics sense then a bat shaped one) there isn't anything else they do the same on. "

Moon Knight's character design is clearly based off of Batman.You can try to spin it anyway you want.It's obvious. This is like saying Gladiator isn't a rip-off of Superman.He doesn't have much in common story wise but Gladiator is OBVIOUSLY based off of him. "
Sometimes it was based off a character, sometimes it is just a coincidence. 
#23 Posted by PowerHerc (86127 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Most characters were inspired by other characters and thus feature borrowed elements from others.  Some are just obvious rip-offs.  Either way, there are very few truly original characters created anymore.
#24 Posted by SoopaCoop16 (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone that even tries to deny the fact that Shroud or Moon Knight are Marvel's feeble attempts to make their own Batman, must be delusional because the evidence is there people. Marvel is just a no-good copycat of a comic company

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.