Follow

S.H.I.E.L.D.

Team » S.H.I.E.L.D. appears in 4903 issues.

A U.N. affiliated intelligence agency dealing primarily with terrorism and superhuman threats that was originally founded by the U.S. government.

Unscripted: S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By doordoor123

LOL babs is never going to give higher than a 4.
    I really wished i would have picked up this comic but it was sold out at both of my comic stores.
    ill try picking it up this wednesday (hopefully flash wont be sold out)

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I had it on hold, never knowing it was in such high demand.  Glad I had Invincible Ink hold it for me.  Because its sold out, bought it.
    It was fun.  A Secret History of SHIELD, can't wait to see how it went from this big secret society starting in Egypt to this Homeland Security of America.
    As I have heard on these reviews, there are two types of first issues.  This one is a comic with lots of unknown story elements.  You don't know where you are or whats going on, and keep reading expecting it to reveal the plot.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I wonder if the Eagle that is suppose to be the symbol for SHIELD is also suppose to be the "Eagle of Saladin" since it links back to Egypt.

I never got around to finish reading The Da Vinci Code. I found the format of going back and forth in small chapters kind of off putting. I have it in my library and I might finish it.

This comic vaguely reminds me of all those Witchblade comics they use to make about the women who wielded the Witchblade in the past.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FLStyle

Seems too far fetched to me, if it had all happened in America then fair enough. SHIELD is very much an American organisation in my eyes. Leonardo Da Vinci was many things, but a SHIELD member? I think the Assassin's Creed 2 version is much closer.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Korg

Anyone else feel like this book is Marvel's Planetary? I like this book a lot, Hickman is great, and the art is fantastic, so naturally I expect it to get cancelled abruptly at some point in the next few months.

Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Archetype

I loved it and I am excited to see what becomes of this idea.I have faith that Hickman will do justice to my expectations I liked the characters that were introduced and all the ties to the continuity that we know.Can't Hardly Wait...

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7  Edited By sora_thekey

"Like a cookie!" 

This was funny!

I haven't read this, but I will...
    When this was announced I felt it was going to be bad... but I see from your review that i need an opinion of myself. I might like it!

As long as the story doesn't have Moses or Noah as SHIELD agents I'm fine!
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Korg

Concerning the review, and questions regarding Fury: I'd say Nick Fury obviously doesn't know about this history. If you read Secret Warriors (also by Hickman), it is made pretty explicitly clear that Fury had no idea what was going on behind the scenes of S.H.I.E.L.D. until extremely recently. 
    I laughed pretty hard when Babs referred to entire periods of time (including the Renaissance) as "cliché". What would you like to see? 14th century Africa? Perhaps Ancient Antarctica? Those places and times are notable for good reasons, all of which tie into this book's premise pretty neatly.

X The UnSeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By X The UnSeen

I knew that Galactus tried to eat the earth before.

Theansweris42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Theansweris42

Willing to say those two characters are the father's of the two characters we know of, given it's in the 1950s.  Which I'm not sure but I think SHIELD was started in 1960, I just looked at the site's database but wasn't a founding date for our SHIELD.

And guys, don't be too worried.  Retcons have hurt us all in the past, but that doesn't mean it can't be an awesome ride, and seeing Hickmen is the conductor it's at least going to be interesting while he's shoving new data into our heads.

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By Comiclove5

You guys did a excellent review.  Should I pick this up? that is a question I am going to need help answering.

Avatar image for afternoonwalker
    AfternoonWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AfternoonWalker

I liked this book alot.  One theory I came up with is could the "bird" symbol somehow be connected to the pheonix force, being a force for rebirth and the historical characters all representing 'renaissances.'
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @AfternoonWalker said:
    " I liked this book alot.  One theory I came up with is could the "bird" symbol somehow be connected to the pheonix force, being a force for rebirth and the historical characters all representing 'renaissances.' "
    The Phoenix Force doesn't have any relevance outside of X-Titles

Cool book I like it.
    Avatar image for afternoonwalker
    AfternoonWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AfternoonWalker
    @geraldthesloth:

It's funny you say that, I had the same exact thought and I was racking my brain to think of any time at all that (in a non-alt. universe) the pheonix force had ever showed up in an x-title, but I couldnt shake the idea that there has to be a single cosmic force connecting the celestials, galactus and the celestials as well as dealing with themes of enlightenment.  Perhaps the pheonix force knew how important jean grey would be and therefore couldnt let earth die.  I just really am interested to see how this series plays out.
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Once again, Hickman hits a home run by expanding on the lore of S.H.I.E.L.D. beyond Nick Fury. Let's admit it, SHIELD has held little value without Nick Fury but say, SHIELD is a cross between the Stone Masons and some secret society of defenders...now, we have something to care about the value of this organization beyond yet another secret spy organization that only EVERY hero and villain knows about them. 

And what I liked about previous appearance of Galactus and the Brood is a reflection about things about history we have no understanding or knowledge about.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @geraldthesloth said:

" @AfternoonWalker said:

" I liked this book alot.  One theory I came up with is could the "bird" symbol somehow be connected to the pheonix force, being a force for rebirth and the historical characters all representing 'renaissances.' "
    The Phoenix Force doesn't have any relevance outside of X-Titles  Cool book I like it. "
    if the Phoenix Force turns out to be connected to Shield. turning out to become explaning that the Phoenix is the God of Marvel. ill Move to the DC Universe. 

*kind of jokin*
    KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By KRYPTON

If Leonardo da vinci is a member of shield other people must have been. Maybe even, Albert Einstein.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18  Edited By DMC

Hmmmmm.....maybe I'll give this book a try

One thing I hope that this mini (it is a mini series right?) will explain is when and how SHIELD became a branch of HYDRA without anyone knowing about it.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @DMC:
    I thought it was an ongoing but I've also heard it was only four issues. The cover doesn't state it's a mini. But often it seems comic series get canceled or turned into minis. I'd like to see this as an ongoing as long as there's enough stories to tell.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Moomin123

I think it's bad having S.H.E.I.L.D as an organisation that's been in history since Ancient Egypt. I'd prefer it if S.H.E.I.L.D started out in like the 1800s or something.
    Fresh0133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21  Edited By Fresh0133
    @DMC said:
    "Hmmmmm.....maybe I'll give this book a try  One thing I hope that this mini (it is a mini series right?) will explain is when and how SHIELD became a branch of HYDRA without anyone knowing about it. "  

They've been dealing with that over in Secret Warriors, which in this issue there was a huge tie in between the two agencies and something that was said a couple of issues ago. 

Also Hickman said that this is a Maxi-Series, he's not sure how long it will go but there is a definitive end in mind, like Secret Warriors, so you can probably expect between 20-30 issues if the two series are similar.

@FLStyle:
    SHIELD until recently was a UN based security force, I'm not really sure where any of the writers got the idea that it was just a US based agency, the US President should have no say what so ever in it's organization, especially Bendis who has been playing fast and loose with it.

Like I said in my big review, I loved this book, it opened so many doors for future storylines while just giving us just enough information to get the old saliva glands going and a little spot of drool to form at the corner of my mouth. 

My only complaint about this book is that there's two months between issues, but if that's what Weaver needs to keep the art at this level I'll be patient.
    themaskedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By themaskedhero

How dare you doubt Jonathan Hickman, he's a great man. But in all seriousness, when I get my copy from DCBS, I can imagine I'll be doing a review.

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#23  Edited By Aspenite

It sound very interesting to me but I´m not quite sure to pick it up yet.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

So far so very good

emmbro30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emmbro30

I must admit that while I have yet to read this series, I do have some concerns.  Years ago I remember reading a retcon issue that was from when Nick Fury was with the F.B.I.  Towards the end of the issue I remember Fury being approached by a government individual offering him a chance to lead a new government spy agency named S.H.I.E.L.D.   Also I can remember several times in the old Captain America Comics (60's & 70's) where Fury was trying to recruit Cap to work in this new government agency they put him in charge of called S.H.I.E.L.D.  That being said, it will be interesting to see how they address that if they do at all.  Sounds to me like the writers are laying some ground work for the up coming S.H.I.E.L.D. I've heard is in the works.

BlackestShite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlackestShite
    @Aspenite said:
    " It sound very interesting to me but I´m not quite sure to pick it up yet. "
    Yeah

and check out the Celestials

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was pretty good. i really liked the art the most about it. i kept trying to find Waldo. i found Apocalypse instead. lol.
    story was paced well and the dialogue was good. everything seemed essential, though Leo's costume was...well
    it was still a bit weird to look it. good foundation of a book, im looking fore ward to seeing how it all comes together.
    reminds me a little of 1602.

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#28  Edited By Aspenite
    @BlackestShite said:
    " @Aspenite said:
    " It sound very interesting to me but I´m not quite sure to pick it up yet. "
    Yeah

and check out the Celestials
      "
    Nice!
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mattydeNero

I just wish this was a monthly series rather than bi-monthly.  But with art like that, I can understand.  I'm looking forward to the next issue.
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By Slinger

Interesting point about the decimal in G-Man's rating. Why not switch to a ten system instead and say 9/10 and 8/10? I would go totally crazy with it and be the first to use the 35 point system. This comic gets a 31.5/35. Or you could go ultra-huge and give it a 900,000/1,000,000. 900,000 points seems pretty good at first, but there's a whole 100,000 points the book missed out on.
    TheArmandoShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By TheArmandoShow

This review is the perfect example of why I'd like to see more Tony G. solo. 

Loved the book. Had no idea what or where it was going beforehand and I'm still not really sure but it was a great start. And the art was top notch.

swhorl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#32  Edited By swhorl

The only thing that bugged me about this issue was Leonardo da Vinci, spaceman.  That seemed just a little too far fetched for me.  Maybe after we know what the object is, it'll seem more feasible.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.