So... How do you feel about what's going on with S.H.I.E.L.D.?

#1 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=38336

In a currently running mini-series called Battle Scars, it introduces a guy named Marcus Johnson. This guy is supposed to be Nick Fury's son... From 616, the mainstream Marvel continuity. What's the problem? He's, in a nutshell, Ultimate Nick Fury with a different name. Not only this, but it looks like they'll be introducing yet another new character to 616: Phil Coulson: Agent of SHIELD. I saw this one coming, because they also threw him in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. So that's two "new" characters being introduced into mainstream continuity.

Well, at least he's not replacing anyone... See, now it's only inevitable (and I know I'm not the only one who thinks so) that they'll kill off Nick Fury (for good, mind you) to make way for his son to take over... Which is terrible because they're only doing it to appease the movie fans.

I'm not against Fury having a son. In fact, I encourage older characters like himself to have kids, but.... come on. Really? Does it have to be like this? Am I the only one who has a problem with it?

Marcus Johnson, Phil Coulson, and Maria Hill
#2 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Good grief........

#3 Edited by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm upset, to say the least. Funny how he suddenly transformed into a 40 year old Samuel L. Jackson look alike after looking completely different in his first 5 issues...

#4 Edited by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

So, at this point we might as well just close the book on the Ultimate Universe? Since the main universe is pretty much just that now.

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: I guess that's safe to say now, yes. :/

#6 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny that a) they really think that the movies will bring in that many new readers and b) that they will be so hopelessly confused by a white guy being Nick Fury (who doesn't even run S.H.I.E.L.D. anymore.) Also hilarious that they're betraying their dedicated fans who they would have gone bankrupt without! Ha!

#7 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

What next? Is Heimdall going to die and be replaced by his black son too?

#8 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

heh heh heh, I still find this immensely humorous. On a more serious note, I had started thinking of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury like 2 years ago so other than laughing at everyone's reactions I have no feelings towards this, nor do I have any problems with it

#9 Posted by Solarflare32 (393 posts) - - Show Bio

Notice he has steve rogers shield uniform on gives the impression command is going to change which may work if the mutant population ever ends up in camps since i can't see steve rogers agreeing to that.

#10 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: I have plenty of feelings towards it, especially since Nick Fury is one of my favorite characters. Just when Marvel was starting to get their crap back together.

I think people will be more confused that Samuel L. Jackson is called Marcus Johnson instead of Nick Fury. Oh the irony.

#11 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
No lie, after seeing the image I initially thought Ultimate Fury was simply transported to 616, much like he did during the Ultimate Power crossover when he appeared in the Supreme Power universe. I only read the first three issues of this mini, but such a development seems rather unnecessary.
#12 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

This is downright offensive to anyone who reads Marvel. They're not doing it because it's "an interesting story that needs to be told", they're litch just doing it to try and get more money. They've taken a character with 40 years of established history and a fanbase and just replaced him with some generic uncharismatic character they're forcing down our throats because that's what the people who don't read comics will want. Marvel need to stop and think about the people who actually read the comics instead of the ones who don't.

#13 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: Agreed 100000000%. What's worse is that the story doesn't even make sense. How does an Army Ranger become the HEAD of S.H.I.E.L.D. in like a week?

Bye bye Daisy Johnson. I'll miss you while you stay in comic book limbo.

#14 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator: I'm guessing he's in for a name change, or at least adopting his father's last name. I like Nick Fury too but I started thinking of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick without even noticing it over a year ago, so this really doesn't move me, now it's like the world just sees what I've been seeing for over a year and I'm completely cool with that

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33895 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: Nick already has a son who works in black ops called Mikel Fury. Screw Marvel, I'v had enough of there money grubbing crap
#16 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: I believe he died in Secret Warriors. Me too. I thought they had finally learned and then they pull this crap. I blame Quesada.

#17 Posted by Solarflare32 (393 posts) - - Show Bio

They do this but they won't change the hand from kingpin to gorgons leadership

#18 Posted by War Killer (20340 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally like Ultimate Nick Fury more than his 616 counterpart, so I wouldn't really mind replacing Earth-616 Fury with one more closely to his Ultimate version, but that's just me. 

But what I don't get is why they're apparently giving him Steve Rogers' Super-Soldier uniform? What's up with that, if you were going to give it to someone, it would have suited Bucky much better as Winter Soldier... <_<

#19 Posted by Dernman (15234 posts) - - Show Bio

I said this was going to happen and people said I was crazy. :/

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33895 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAnnihilator said:

@spiderbat87: I believe he died in Secret Warriors. Me too. I thought they had finally learned and then they pull this crap. I blame Quesada.

yea but it's not like there isn't a million ways to make him not dead. Screw them, if they think they can fill the 10+ books I pick up monthly with some new kids that will likely get one TPB in there life after watching the film then they can jog on
#21 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator said:

Bye bye Daisy Johnson. I'll miss you while you stay in comic book limbo.

Nah, she's a Bendis character. She's already conveniently joined the Avengers (srsly wut?) and is appearing in the Avengers cartoon (again srsly wut?). This entire company is just dictated by Bendis and films (which in turn were mostly based on works by Bendis).

#22 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: No. He's in the Ultimate Universe for a reason. 616 Nick Fury has so much history and is a very popular character. This is such a dumb move. No character should be replaced. Would you say the same if they made Miles Morales the movie Spider-Man and proceeded to replace 616 Peter Parker with his secret child he had with a half black/half puerto-rican movie?

@Dernman: I never thought you were crazy, I just really hoped you were.

#23 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel.....do you really think that making Fury's kid into Ultimate Fury will gain you readership? The only thing it's doing is alienating your longtime readers with this shenanigans.

Coulson, I'm ok with.

#24 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: At least Hickman made her interesting.....only for Bendis to do the opposite of such in her random appearances in Avengers.

#25 Posted by Dernman (15234 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAnnihilator: I was hoping I was wrong but I new it was going to happen the second he was revealed as Fury's son.
#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (17715 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down with the introduction of Coulson, but this so called "son" of Nick Fury is just cheesy. It's not going to attract anyone.

Moderator Online
#27 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

heh heh heh, I still find this immensely humorous. On a more serious note, I had started thinking of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury like 2 years ago so other than laughing at everyone's reactions I have no feelings towards this, nor do I have any problems with it

#28 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

So I'm thinking... this Spider-Men event (Miles meets 616 Peter) is gonna end with Miles getting trapped in the 616 and then Marvel just abandoning the Ultimate Universe.

Let's be honest there's no point to it anymore. It's sales don't set the charts alight and the major differences have all been enforced upon the main reality because of films anyway. We have Sam Jackson Fury randomly replacing the real Nick Fury and this new superspy Hawkeye who loves to kill Osborn and anyone who gets in his way (despite years of insistence that killing is wrong)... even Captain America has started loosening up and carrying guns around...

#29 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i'll read it. i thought its interesting that nick fury of everyone has a kid and doesn't know about it now he's kinda like wolverine.

#30 Posted by War Killer (20340 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAnnihilator: Look, I'm not here to argue, I know 99.9% of fans are going to hate this idea and I have no problem with that one bit. I just personally like Ultimate Nick Fury more than his Earth-616 version, so therefore wouldn't mind Marvel doing something like this. But again, that's just my feelings on the matter.
#31 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: @TheGreyOutcastX: @Dernman:

All we can do is hope that this is such a colossal failure that they kill of Sam- er Marcus Johnson and act like this never happened, other than Coulson of course. Maybe they could give the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents they already have some attention too. Maybe a book with Coulson and the other agents. That'd be nice.

#32 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: I apologize. I didn't mean to insinuate an argument, but I realize that I did do that. I'm just very annoyed by this!

#33 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator said:

All we can do is hope that this is such a colossal failure that they kill of Sam- er Marcus Johnson and act like this never happened, other than Coulson of course. Maybe they could give the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents they already have some attention too. Maybe a book with Coulson and the other agents. That'd be nice.

I'm down with the Son of Coul (Damn Thor making me love calling him that!) getting some love with other SHIELD agents. But Marcus Johnson can burn in comic limbo for all I care or just make him evil.

#34 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

I'm down with the Son of Coul (Damn Thor making me love calling him that!) getting some love with other SHIELD agents. But Marcus Johnson can burn in comic limbo for all I care or just make him evil.

He must burn in comic book limbo for all eternity!

#35 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33895 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by McClintick (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Sam L is the perfect fury as far as visually but why make his son almost identical? Marvel tends to make kids of heroes look too much alike their parents. At least in DC the kids are a little different

#37 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone read Battle Scars 6 yet?

#38 Posted by ThexX (1573 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Ultimate Nick Fury but this is could be one the dumbest things Marvel has done. I will say this once Marvel do not replace 616 Nick Fury with some cheap Ultimate Nick Fury knock off. And there is another rumor I heard that Marvel may be breaking up Bucky (Winter Soldier) & Black Widow so Widow can be with Hawkeye again to make movie goers happy

#39 Posted by Skaddix (3117 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator said:

Indeed some of these complaints are absurd.

#40 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skaddix said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

Indeed some of these complaints are absurd.

Well, people are upset. I was too. This wouldn't have been that bad if they.

1. Didn't make him look exactly like Samuel L. Jackson.

2. Didn't give him Steve's old outfit.

and

3. Kept Nick doing what he's doing and made a series about Daisy and here agents (Coulson, Marcus, etc.) bringing S.H.I.E.L.D. back to its former glory.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.