Joss Whedon To Co-Write S.H.I.E.L.D. TV Show For ABC

• 68 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

You might recall murmurs of the possibility of a Marvel-related ABC television series. Well, it looks like we got something of a confirmation. Earlier today it was revealed that The Avengers director Joss Whedon would be behind an upcoming ABC television pilot based on S.H.I.E.L.D. and its characters.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Whedon will be responsible for co-writing the pilot of the upcoming show based on the Marvel comic book and team. Joss Whedon is said to be co-writing the pilot with his brother, Jed Whedon and his wife Maurissa Tancharoen. There is also a good chance that Whedon will direct the pilot so long as it does not conflict with his other projects. The three have worked on projects before, such as Whedon's short film Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, so it's good to know he will be working with familiar faces.

The possibility of a television show written and directed by the heralded The Avengers director is enough to get any Marvel comics fan excited -- but one about S.H.I.E.L.D.? I speak for everyone when I say, "sign me up." It will be interesting to see what direction Whedon takes with the show; whether he will pick up where The Avengers left off (not likely considering there will be a sequel), or focus on the years before S.H.I.E.L.D. brought the Avengers team together. Perhaps we'll see actor Clark Gregg reprise the role of Agent Coulson? We'll have to wait and see. What do you think of the news? Is this a show you would watch?

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

#1 Posted by Mycroftian (109 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely excited. Looking forward to it

#2 Posted by _Black (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

Is he just going to write the pilot and be on his way?

#3 Posted by BlackArmor (6133 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting

#4 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Samuel Jackson going to be in it? I don't feel like he would be in a TV show. Maybe only guest star once in a while? 

#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92254 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#6 Edited by BushidoBlack (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Smart move. This would be an easy way for Marvel to showcase their smaller heroes and villains without having to wait on the movies to do it. Marvel's street level characters would fit perfectly in a tv setting.

I'm hoping this pans out.

#7 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if Jackson is going to be involved at all

#8 Posted by TheMultiverse (132 posts) - - Show Bio

Giving S.H.I.E.L.D. it's on Tv series is a great idea imo. it may have been hard for many movie goers to really gain respect for S.H.I.E.L.D while they had Hulk, Thor, and Ironman to look at. This show couldn't do anything, but help that. Maybe it will even grow it's on cult following like 24 or something lol. Go S.H.I.E.L.D.!

#9 Posted by cc1738 (358 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish WB would let him do the Wonder Woman movie he had planned. It would've been cool.

#10 Posted by sora_thekey (8150 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't it some time ago that the live-action AKA Jessica Jones and Mockingbird TV shows' production was cancelled? According to some reports Carol Danvers was set to appear.

Maybe we'll get to see Carol Danvers and Bobbi Morse, Agents of SHIELD star in this series. Hopefully along with Agent Coulson, Maria Hill and other known SHIELD agents like: Jessica Drew, Victoria Hand, Sharon Carter, any of the Secret Warriors and more...

(Also a good way to introduce original characters)

#11 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah, when I initially saw this headline thought it was going to be a new Michael Chiklis show. You rock Commish!

#12 Posted by War Killer (19851 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see them explore the early history of S.H.I.E.L.D. and allow us to see characters we normally wouldn't be able to see in the movies.

#13 Edited by Twentyfive (2739 posts) - - Show Bio

AW YEAH!!!

#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome! If it weren't for the fact that Phil Coulson is gone, this news would be even better, but still awesome nevertheless!

Since it's on TV that means we can get pretty much any heroes we want as well. Pretty sure Marvel/Disney owns all the rights to television appearances.

#15 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Awesome! If it weren't for the fact that Phil Coulson is gone, this news would be even better, but still awesome nevertheless!

Since it's on TV that means we can get pretty much any heroes we want as well. Pretty sure Marvel/Disney owns all the rights to television appearances.

LMD, I'm still holding onto that theory!

#16 Posted by ghostsuck (129 posts) - - Show Bio

yess

#17 Posted by G-Man (30213 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder if this is for mid-season or for the 2013/2014 season. We know Maria Hill can't be on it this TV season since HIMYM is still on.

Staff
#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supes1903 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

LMD, I'm still holding onto that theory!

See, I don't know if I like that theory. Sure, it'd be easy to bring him back in that way, or even as the Vision like some people insist, but that'd just sorta ruin the impact of his death in the Avengers movie... But on the other hand, Phil Coulson is so cool and I'd love to see him in this show.... I'm torn o_o

#19 Posted by blastaar (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, this is going to be awesome!

#20 Posted by mtbmonkey (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Think of the heroes that could pass thru. This is amazing!

#21 Posted by sentryman555 (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@doordoor123 said:

Is Samuel Jackson going to be in it? I don't feel like he would be in a TV show. Maybe only guest star once in a while?

I was wondering about that. I would love to see a SHIELD tv show but if Nick Fury isn't in it then it wouldn't feel right to me. I don't want him to show up once a season and every other time someone just says something lame like "I was on the monitor with Fury and he says....." that just doesn't seem right. Fury is too hands on with everything he does.

#22 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

One question. Is Fury and Hill going to be in it?!

#23 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (5848 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited but I not sure if Whedon is good at writing a TV show like a Movie

#24 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8838 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe in Joss that he will make this an amesome tv show

#25 Posted by JayMar89 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

between this and arrow im excited i liked angel but never got into buffy i also really liked dollhouse

#26 Posted by ltbrd (557 posts) - - Show Bio

This is definitely the best way they could have gone and I think you could do this show without Jackson if you take it as an origin for the organization. Start the series immediately following World War II and the state of the world at that time, with Tony Stark and others founding the organization to carry on the legacy left by Captain America and the Howling Commandos (maybe even have a few of them in the series as some of the first field agents). Mad Men has paved the way for modern audiences to be hooked on the 50's-early 80's time period and it can borrow heavily from the style and themes of the Connery and Moore Bond films rather than the more modern spy flicks with Craig or Damian. Not sure who the main character would be but it shouldn't be Nick Fury. Start with a completely blank slate who the audience can grow with and in the later seasons introduce a young Nick Fury (thus not needing Jackson to be part of the show but still gain the movie universe Fury's backstory and training) that towards the end of the series is quickly rising in the ranks as the story of the main protagonist comes to a close (retirement or one last suicide mission, whichever seems more appropriate to the tone of the show).

Would be funny to bring back Clark Gregg in a minor role as well given his popularity. Make him Coulson's father or some relative so there is a family connection to the organization and someone that passed down to Phil all the stories of Captain America. Think fans would like that even if he only made an appearance or two a season.

#27 Posted by strangeling (180 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll definitely check this out if it doesn't have too much Samuel L. in it.

#28 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1502 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm unsure about this. Yes, it's cool, but it might interfere with the movies. Not to mention, would it prevent characters from ever showing up in the movies? And I REALLY hope they don't overwork the poor guy.

#29 Posted by The Black Hood (88 posts) - - Show Bio

@MadeinBangladeshon Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:03 p.m. "Excited but I not sure if Whedon is good at writing a TV show like a Movie"

I really hope your were trying to be witty and ironic; otherwise this is the single silly post I have ever read. Yep, Whedon doesn't have any TV experience, unless you count Rosanne, Parenthood, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, and Dollhouse. But other than that, yeah, no experience at all.

#30 Posted by entropy_aegis (14107 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Idea.

#31 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

This might convince me to watch television.

#32 Posted by Mercy_ (92254 posts) - - Show Bio

#33 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if Clark Gregg will be back as Agent Coulson.

#34 Posted by Mrakbarman (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Heclk yeah for agent coulson

#35 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i'very interested in this show now. still, i want a cloak & dagger show.

#36 Posted by Nantucket (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Black said:

Is he just going to write the pilot and be on his way?

I hope not but that could be the way forward.

#37 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7561 posts) - - Show Bio

Really interested in seeing what they do with this.

#38 Edited by __transgojobot__ (46 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

Wonder if this is for mid-season or for the 2013/2014 season. We know Maria Hill can't be on it this TV season since HIMYM is still on.

'This TV season'? What chance is there that Cobie Smulders can appear on the S.H.I.E.L.D. show at all? She's the star of a flagship CBS show and might have an exclusivity clause in her contract with them.

I think Sam Jackson will appear in the pilot; feels like a given. Yes. His asking price will be significant. But I think Disney will be willing to swallow the number if it means they can get a star of the 'Avengers' in their TV show. Plus, Disney seems willing to throw extra money around (i.e. Iron Man 3 shoot), following the box office success of 'Avengers' and the likely insane home video haul they can expect next month.

I look forward to meeting Agents Danvers and Morse on my TV screen.

What's the 'over/under' on the number of 'Whedon Alums' we can expect to see in the pilot?

#39 Posted by RedHush1 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds awesome just one minor question will Samuel Jackson be on this show? Because if he went from movies to Tv for this show that'd be badass

#40 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14586 posts) - - Show Bio

I am up for it.

#41 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

I WANT COULSON BACK

#42 Posted by viin (533 posts) - - Show Bio

i have somewhat higher hopes for it I just hope it doesnt get way to much credit...like the movie.

#43 Posted by ltbrd (557 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: Know it wasn't your intention but Nathan Fillion being in this show would be awesome. The entire comic book community has been practically begging this guy to be one character or another and he could be a really cool S.H.I.E.L.D agent. Be the comic character of the show that highlights the humor or mood of the shows era in contrast to the seriousness of other characters (even the protagonist).

#44 Posted by sora_thekey (8150 posts) - - Show Bio

I still say this show could focus on the agents and not the super heroes... Agent Danvers before she goes and becomes Ms. Marvel, Agent Morse before she goes and becomes Mockingbird and the antagonist could be Agent of Hydra Jessica Drew before she becomes Spider-Woman.

@ltbrd said:

@Mercy_: Know it wasn't your intention but Nathan Fillion being in this show would be awesome. The entire comic book community has been practically begging this guy to be one character or another and he could be a really cool S.H.I.E.L.D agent. Be the comic character of the show that highlights the humor or mood of the shows era in contrast to the seriousness of other characters (even the protagonist).

Like Agent Phillip Lawson? He could play the character similar to his Ultimate Universe counterpart. Undercover alien who is an agent of SHIELD who is only there to observe humanity.

said:

Couldn't she guest star in at least the season premiere and season finale?

#45 Posted by SirChrisofCooke (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, what's Will Smith doing beside Sam Jackson?

#46 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG !!!! this could awsome...

#47 Posted by Inverno (13021 posts) - - Show Bio

They are getting even bolder every moment.

#48 Posted by Blastov (23 posts) - - Show Bio

@SirChrisofCooke: Gabe Jones, obviously.

#49 Posted by jebak99999 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe they could incorporate item 47 with lizzy caplan and that guy becoming SHIELD agents after they were caught

#50 Posted by BatWatch (2349 posts) - - Show Bio

Will Whedon be co-directing the show, or just the pilot? I'm on board with anything Whedon. His work varies in quality between good and outstanding, but he is never a disappointment.

I was actually hoping for Runaways, so I am not completely thrilled, but I'm still game for whatever they come up with. I don't see the reason for the assumption that it will be a prequel series. It could easily fit in between Avengers and Avengers 2. I'm assuming it will not focus on the main characters except possibly Agent Coulson.

@sora_thekey said:

I still say this show could focus on the agents and not the super heroes... Agent Danvers before she goes and becomes Ms. Marvel, Agent Morse before she goes and becomes Mockingbird and the antagonist could be Agent of Hydra Jessica Drew before she becomes Spider-Woman.

@ltbrd said:

Like Agent Phillip Lawson? He could play the character similar to his Ultimate Universe counterpart. Undercover alien who is an agent of SHIELD who is only there to observe humanity.

said:

Couldn't she guest star in at least the season premiere and season finale?

I definitely think just for budget reasons alone, the cast will have to contain mostly humans. I like your idea of incorporating heroes before they became heroes.

As far as I know, Castle is still going strong, so I doubt Fillion will be trying to be doing double duty between the two shows. I'm not sure if that is even possible.

I can see Maria Hill being in the premiere, but as with Castle, she will not be able to leave her show to star in another.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.