Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Hoo boy... where to even start in trying to describe this issue? Leonid learns even more of SHIELD's centuries-long secret history, which includes the 500 year imprisonment of Nostradamus and the "wet nursing" of a pregnant Celestial.

The Good

This book's weaving of real history, esoteric science and Marvel continuity is nothing short of phenomenal. The revelations about the origins of Nick Fury's infinity formula and the Celstials' interest in Earth (a carry-over from Earth X) are just the kind of intellectual shockers I've been missing. Weaver needs to great credit as well, for some of the most singularly provocative images I've seen outside of a Stanley Kubrick or Darren Arnofsky movie. This has some surreal visuals to rival the likes of 2001 and the Fountain.

The Bad

I think this story might've been better served an OGN or as a series of over-sized specials instead of a month-to-month title. The story's so complex and there's so much callback, I feel like I'm missing out on 70% of what's going on, even though I'm definitely enjoying what I'm reading. The labyrinthine quality of this book is sublime but, good lord, I could've used some footnotes.

THE VERDICT - 4.5/5

Between this and Ultimate Thor (as well his work on Fantastic Four and Secret Warriors) Hickman is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers in the business, let alone at Marvel. The way he's reinterpreting long-established continuity to tell a truly provocative, boundary-pushing story reminds of Alan Moore and Grant Morrison's best work at DC. This book is sublime.
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm willing to bet this will read better in trade form. Thats what I'm waiting for.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

I can guarantee that this will be better as a trade...I enjoy the heck out of each issue but to be completely honest...I'm lost....I don't have a flying clue as to what's going on in this series

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pizawle

Epic series.

Hickman is incredible.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By geraldthesloth

Is it wrong if I think Hickman is trying too hard to be Grant Morrison in this title?

moojersey82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By moojersey82

just started reading it. got me hooked

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Korg

Hickman is great, this series is amazing, we need more writers like him (Secret Warriors is also excellent).

@geraldthesloth said:

" Is it wrong if I think Hickman is trying too hard to be Grant Morrison in this title? "
    In what sense?
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Korg said:
    " Hickman is great, this series is amazing, we need more writers like him (Secret Warriors is also excellent).

@geraldthesloth said:
    " Is it wrong if I think Hickman is trying too hard to be Grant Morrison in this title? "
    In what sense? "
    Just the way it's been written with all these random devices coming out of the blue like the Infinity Formula and whatnot. I just feel like I'm reading a Morrison book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.