undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue ended with the appearance of Kristoff Vernard, the son (clone? Right? He was a clone at some point, right?) of Dr. Doom showing up in Jenn Walters’ office with a request: to gain political asylum in the United States. This issue picks right up with that and covers the trials and tribulations of dealing with bureaucracy as well as the dicey political situations that arise when your father has an army of robots all bent on taking you somewhere you don’t want to go. This issue takes place over a very short amount of time and, as a result, feels quite intimate despite being grandiose. It’s also a great issue for Charles Soule to set in stone a general tone and tenor for the whole book: the characters have fallen into place, this is our first opportunity to see them interacting with each other and the world at large in a new, different way. And I absolutely adore it. She-Hulk is written with equal parts humor and seriousness, often comedic but never undignified, and when marching into court in a shredded suit, that is not the easiest thing in the world, and we even get another glimpse of the mystery surrounding the enigmatic secretary Angieand the clearly-not-suspcious-at-all Hei Hei. Who is a monkey. That takes notes.

We also get to experience more of Javier Pulido’s linework, and while it may be a treat for the reader, I’m still having difficulty defining EXACTLY what it is. It’s not avante-garde, but it IS very flat, disregarding a great many of the artistic advancements in things like perspective and shading from the last twenty years, but I’d never say that makes it BAD. Quite the contrary, it’s extraordinarily stylized with an incredible eye for detail and design. I’ve said it before: it’s a total throwback, but also incredible modern. It’s Jim Steranko meets Chris Samnee, if I wanted to get reductive. But I don’t because the style is definitley all his own and the colors, by Muntsa Vicente are a critical part of the rich tapestry, standing out beautifully and brightly. This book’s tone is incredibly upbeat and more overtly comedic than most of Soule’s other collaborations, and the visuals definitely emphasize that. We also get a lot more the strange surrealism that populated the previous issue and while it’s not the same, it’s just as odd.

The Bad

The visuals are highly stylized, which is good, but it makes certain parts of the issue difficult to follow. Some panels cross both pages while others don’t, and it’s sometimes difficult to tell how one’s eye should be moving across the page. There was definitely more than one occasion that I got lost, but it always became clear in retrospect.

The Verdict

This is one of the best books on the shelf if, for no other reason, than for how different from other books it is. It’s a superhero book with the soul of a small, indie comedy. You can know next to nothing about Marvel continuity or characters and still easily immerse yourself in it, and while I keep seeing complaints about the visual style, it’s part of what makes the book so unique and it compliments it perfectly. If you’re not reading this book, there’s still plenty of time to hop onboard either at this issue, or by picking up the previous two.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

I kind of like the art, wasn't a fan at first, but now it just looks interesting. Might have to get this comic.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I will read it when they change the artist

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is just a fun series, The art fits the type of style that Soule is telling and I have been enjoying every page of it.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

ZbvmX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZbvmX

Well it seems Marvel heard the very vocal group hating on this books' art:

---

Writer: Soule, Charles

Artist: Wimberly, Ronald

Cover Artist: Wada, Kevin

Publisher:Marvel On Sale:June 04, 2014

* She-Hulk & Hellcat must uncover the secrets of the Blue File - a conspiracy that touches the entire Marvel Universe!

* This new mystery brings us She-Hulk's most terrifying role ever: DEFENDANT!

* Charles Soule (THUNDERBOLTS) and Ron Wemberly (MIGHTY AVENGERS) continue the smash hit of All-New Marvel Now!

---

Not sure though if he's just filling-in or taking over :P

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's safe to say that this is officially made my pull list.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do hope they change artists. I've been interested in this but the art is keeping me away.

Avatar image for iankeithmcdowell
    iankeithmcdowell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art is what drew me to this book. It seamlessly combines the influences of Steranko, Kirby, Cooke and Allred, but has it's own unique sense of layout and panel flow. I hate the art that most fanboys wet themselves over. Most modern mainstream comics art is sterile and joyless, not to mention either over-rendered or too computerized looking. It's great to see draftsmanship with such a genuine sense of fun. Jen may look like she has more middle eastern ancestry than her surname would suggest, but this is the sexiest version of the character I've seen. Two customers were talking about it in the comic book shop today. The woman who reminded me of Karen Gillan with a southern accent loved it. The guy with a too small t-shirt and bigger boobs than her wheezed that he could draw better than that. I know whose side I'm on.

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@renchamp: It's like a doctor/nurse watching Scrubs!

@zbvmx: It's been bi-weekly so far, so I assume Pulido isn't capable of THAT output with THIS art (and I mean that as a compliment). Usually Marvel books switch back and forth, so I doubt "outcry" is any part of that choice.

@fables87 said:

I kind of like the art, wasn't a fan at first, but now it just looks interesting. Might have to get this comic.

I'd say the art is the best reason to GET the book if the writing weren't so good.

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

@renchamp: It's like a doctor/nurse watching Scrubs!

@zbvmx: It's been bi-weekly so far, so I assume Pulido isn't capable of THAT output with THIS art (and I mean that as a compliment). Usually Marvel books switch back and forth, so I doubt "outcry" is any part of that choice.

@fables87 said:

I'd say the art is the best reason to GET the book if the writing weren't so good.

No, it has been monthly, not bi-weekly, but I think Pulido is still getting a break. Loads of artists on books do this. It's a rarity that anyone sticks it out for more than 5 or 6 issues in a go. I loved this issue and I'm loving the series.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

I will read it when they change the artist

WRITING>ART! FACT!:P

So I guess you enjoyed Elektra: Assassin?

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Oh my god, I swear the art has gotten worse, this comic is absolutely unreadable.

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I liked this issue, but 5 stars? No.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.