undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

I am absolutely enchanted by this book and its all its weird little quirks. Despite writing approximately 136 titles (give or take a two), Charles Soule definitely seems to be onto something special with this one and it contains an inordinate amount of heart. We see Jenn preparing to interview a series of applicants for the job of secretary, but after the pool is mysteriously reduced, she winds up hiring a strange woman with the strange quirk of having a pet monkey she demands to take everywhere with her. Nothing suspicious here...then we get to see Jennifer hit the town HARD with one Patsy Walker, AKA HELLCAT! That’s right, THE Hellcat!....whattya mean “who?!” I always love a comic that isn’t afraid to play with the very real idea that some superheroes just don’t rate. Robert Kirkman’sLeague of Losers storyline is one that I reference often and with good reason. It takes a realistic look at the fact that not every superhero can be Spider-Man or Wolverine, some of them definitely slip through the cracks and this book continues that proud tradition. There’s some ridiculousness with A.I.M. at a warehouse that actually turns surprisingly serious near the end, and here’s where Soule’s writing really shines through: this isn’t JUST a book about having a laugh and a good time, there are some amazing characters at its core and he writes both sides with equal skill. We get the start of a few great mysteries that I can’t wait to explore further.

Javier Pulido is a highly polarizing artist on this title, but as of this issue you can count me among his believers. His linework on this book is nothing short of incredible and a large part of that is that it’s difficult to pigeonhole. It’s not exactly a “throwback” in the way that someone like Howard Chaykin can be (and he’s less a throwback than a legit oldschooler) or when they indicate a flashback by using dots to shade, it’s a very, very modern looking comic...but it also, somehow, looks like something out of the ‘70s. The layouts of off-the-charts amazing as well, using splash pages to give a sense of scale as well as strange goings-on. The characters are extremely two-dimensional, but not for lack of detail nor plainness. It’s actually VERY difficult to quantify! A gargantuan part of this certainly falls to the colorist Muntsa Vicente, who uses strong, rich colors to highlight both the surrealism of the general happenings of the title, but also to make the focus rest where it needs to. This is a beautiful book from top to bottom.

The Bad

There’s basically nothing to dislike about this book. The art definitely isn’t for everyone, but it is for me.

The Verdict

This book is more than whimsy, it’s more than simply happy, it’s reveling in its own surrealism and wonderful sense of bizarre humor. The art and the writing gel perfectly to give it a weird sense of humor. She-Hulk has always been at her best when she’s having fun, and even better, as a lawyer and we are 2 for 2 on that being the focus of this title. Which is precisely where it needs to be.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I would probally get into she hulk after they change this ATROCIOUS artist.

Avatar image for indestructiblek
    indestructibleK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By indestructibleK

I don't understand all of the 5-star reviews on this website. I'm sure this a good comic. But, I'm almost positive that it is not a "5-star" book.

ZbvmX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"There’s basically nothing to dislike about this book. The art definitely isn’t for everyone, but it is for me."

It is for me too :D

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By viin

There is no way this book deserves a 5.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is book great, I love the writing, the dialogue and the premise. However the art is really, really bad. I mean I get simplistic art and when it works it works well but this just feels like the guy drawing the book is someones cousin who's being thrown a bone. I can usually power through bad art when the writing is good but this hard.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By feedonatreefrog

Hipster review for a hipster book.

Avatar image for themarvelfanboy
    TheMarvelFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was very disappointed with this issue. The pages with Hellcat were pointless and besides the unnecessary stroll into an AIM warehouse nothing exciting happened. But I will be picking up issue three soley because of Dooms son being introduced at the end of the book. I should've picked up NOVA #14 instead.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

"This isn't a five star issue." Then don't give it five stars in yours. The review isn't wrong or right. It's Corey's opinion.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

@indestructiblek, a 5 star rating on comicvine does not mean it's perfect. It means the reviewer really liked the book and that any flaws it may have did not prevent them from really liking it. Have you ever gotten home with a new stack of comics and thought all of them were great, even considering flaws? I know I have. 100s of comics come out every week and comicvine reviews a very small fraction of them, which also happens to be the issues reviewers liked most. If you view their scoring system from this perspective it is easy to understand why most books are well received on comicvine.

I'm also wondering how you can be "almost positive" someone's opinion is wrong. No matter how a review is written, at the end of the day they are all opinions. Some may be more thoughtful or critical than others but that only makes them thoughtful or critical opinions.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

When this comes up on the next podcast please don't play Jenny From The Block.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decent issue but definitely not a 5 out of 5. I'm also not feeling the art and this is too similar to Dan Slott's run.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the book followed by 4 reviews and they're all giving the book mass amounts of praise. I dig it too, but the reviews go overboard, like they're trying really hard to sell it. It reminds me of how Azzarello's Wonder Woman got the full court press and the reviews seemed to be bought and paid for.

Loved Hellcat, Jen's office setup and the Chinese Monkey Lady. Could see her superhero building being close to the Gem Theater and the Mighty Avengers. It would be cool if they made an appearance occasionally.

Finally got used to Javier Pulido's art. It grows on you after a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.