Dan Slotts' She hulk Vs Peter Davids' She Hulk

#1 Edited by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion Peter David never brought the character to the heights that Dan Slott was able to or even succedded in his take on the character. While Slott combined courtroom drama with superhero antics and great humor, David choose it safe and uninspired. In regards to the take on the character, Dans' She Hulk was fun-loving, tough, fourth wall breaking and humorous; Davids' She Hulk developed an arrogant and annoying edge to her personality making her kinda unlikeable at times. To me Dan's She Hulk will always be the definitive. What are your thoughts? Comment below, let me know.

#2 Posted by Darkmount1 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

Both of course owe all that to John Byrne's take.

#3 Posted by UltraBiel (328 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Marvel looses so much not seeing the humor/insane action that a she-hulk comic bok could deliver. Too bad. =/

#4 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9182 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan Slott had a great She Hulk run

#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan Slott's She-Hulk was by far the best run ever. Byrne's She-Hulk was good but there were times her book got far too goofy to even bother reading.

Moderator
#6 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Dan Slott's She-Hulk was by far the best run ever. Byrne's She-Hulk was good but there were times her book got far too goofy to even bother reading.

I would still put Byrne over Slott, but both were great. Man I miss She Hulk having a solo.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro said:

Dan Slott's She-Hulk was by far the best run ever. Byrne's She-Hulk was good but there were times her book got far too goofy to even bother reading.

I would still put Byrne over Slott, but both were great. Man I miss She Hulk having a solo.

Why, specifically?
Moderator
#8 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Mostly out of Nostalgia. My dad had most of Byrne's run and he let me read the less racy ones when I was younger. I also loved some of those overly ridiculous stories though I was pretty young reading some of them.

#9 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro: Mostly out of Nostalgia. My dad had most of Byrne's run and he let me read the less racy ones when I was younger. I also loved some of those overly ridiculous stories though I was pretty young reading some of them.

Makes sense. I love how stylish Sensational She-Hulk was.
Moderator
#10 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro: Mostly out of Nostalgia. My dad had most of Byrne's run and he let me read the less racy ones when I was younger. I also loved some of those overly ridiculous stories though I was pretty young reading some of them.

Makes sense. I love how stylish Sensational She-Hulk was.

My favorite thing of all time was her screaming at Byrne "while yes looking fly as hell"

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro: Mostly out of Nostalgia. My dad had most of Byrne's run and he let me read the less racy ones when I was younger. I also loved some of those overly ridiculous stories though I was pretty young reading some of them.

Makes sense. I love how stylish Sensational She-Hulk was.

My favorite thing of all time was her screaming at Byrne "while yes looking fly as hell"

I always liked when she ripped through pages or ripped them out. I remember when she needed to get somewhere so she just broke through the panel.
Moderator
#12 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Vance Astro: Mostly out of Nostalgia. My dad had most of Byrne's run and he let me read the less racy ones when I was younger. I also loved some of those overly ridiculous stories though I was pretty young reading some of them.

Makes sense. I love how stylish Sensational She-Hulk was.

My favorite thing of all time was her screaming at Byrne "while yes looking fly as hell"

I always liked when she ripped through pages or ripped them out. I remember when she needed to get somewhere so she just broke through the panel.

And she would walk through Ad's and break off into random jokes.

It was like a looney toons cartoon you read and starred a hot Green chick.

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

She needs a book so bad right now.

Moderator
#14 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

She needs a book so bad right now.

Agreed. Just curious, what did you think of Peter Davids' run on she hulk if you had read it?

#15 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@x_29 said:

@Vance Astro said:

She needs a book so bad right now.

Agreed. Just curious, what did you think of Peter Davids' run on she hulk if you had read it?

She-Hulk definitely wasn't as bas ass there as she was in Savage She-Hulk or Slott's run but his issues were decent up until Secret Invasion. I mean she was kicking ass in Secret Invasion but I feel like she should have had a bigger role.
Moderator
#16 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

OH . . . . MAN! Dan Slott's run on the title was so frustrating for me as a She-Hulk Fan. I really didn't like the sex angle he was playing up. I'm not against characters or people that are promiscuous or portrayed that way, I just thought that it was inappropriate for Jennifer Waleters, she never came across as a effin' slut to me. If you wanna go that rout then make a new character and write that one as a slut.

I also think that Slott went overboard with the basement full of comics accounting for every little thing in the Marvel Universe. That level of absurdity was too much for me even for a comic book.

Bibollo's fat She-Hulk art was another point of contention for me too.

Peter David was likely writing from the instruction of editorial as the book was looking at cancellation again under Slott's misdirection or missed erection. But I was enjoying Peter's work and felt like it was really gaining momentum before it was canned.

#17 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion said:

OH . . . . MAN! Dan Slott's run on the title was so frustrating for me as a She-Hulk Fan. I really didn't like the sex angle he was playing up. I'm not against characters or people that are promiscuous or portrayed that way, I just thought that it was inappropriate for Jennifer Waleters, she never came across as a effin' slut to me. If you wanna go that rout then make a new character and write that one as a slut.

I also think that Slott went overboard with the basement full of comics accounting for every little thing in the Marvel Universe. That level of absurdity was too much for me even for a comic book.

Bibollo's fat She-Hulk art was another point of contention for me too.

Peter David was likely writing from the instruction of editorial as the book was looking at cancellation again under Slott's misdirection or missed erection. But I was enjoying Peter's work and felt like it was really gaining momentum before it was canned.

Slott's She Hulk was not a slut.

#18 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Slott's run, I really need to read Byrne's. What I always liked about She Hulk is that she didn't take herself too seriously, there need to be more comics like that.

#19 Edited by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@GundamHeavyarms said:

I liked Slott's run, I really need to read Byrne's. What I always liked about She Hulk is that she didn't take herself too seriously, there need to be more comics like that.

I also like how she enjoys being She-Hulk more than being Jen Walters. 
 
@x_29 said:

Slott's She Hulk was not a slut.

She kiiiiinda wasssss.....
Moderator
#20 Posted by darthfury78 (913 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

I liked Slott's run, I really need to read Byrne's. What I always liked about She Hulk is that she didn't take herself too seriously, there need to be more comics like that.

I also like how she enjoys being She-Hulk more than being Jen Walters.

@x_29 said:

Slott's She Hulk was not a slut.

She kiiiiinda wasssss.....

Yeah. Jenn loves being the She-Hulk mare than her regular average Jane appearance. If she could, Jenn would stay as the She-Hulk forever. I could imagine Jenn being in a long term relationship with Peter Parker, and the benefit of that relationship results towards her wanting to keep him around as she does with Wyatt Wingfoot.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.