Follow

Shatterstar

Character » Shatterstar appears in 1093 issues.

A refugee from Mojoworld, Shatterstar came to earth and joined forces with Cable's New Mutants which soon transformed into X-Force. Also a key former member of X-Factor Investigations.

Why did jeph leob make shatterstar gay.

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Lol yeah, that's why it's good to do a little research ^_^
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By John Valentine

@jordama
    said:
    " wow, a writer made a character gay so you hate him. that is just sad.   and just for the record, he isn't gay, he is bisexual. "
    Actually Shatterstar does not have a definite sexuality as such; being from Mojo World, he's probably omni-sexual. In X-Factor #207 Shatterstar pretty much said this.
    Moreover, this is not really a recent developement. The relationship between Shatts and Rictor has been, at least hinted up, since the first X-Force series.
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm kinda' on the fence with the whole Rictor/ Shatterstar relationship. On one hand it does add great tension and drama to X-Factor. On the other it always bothers me when a character is just all of a sudden gay. Shatterstar being an alien, it sorta' makes sense. Thats just part of the culture or what have you. However, I was shocked and confused by Rictor.

VIZION2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By VIZION2011

Wait...rector is gay too? :-O!!!! OK I soooo need to brush up on my comics :-/ this is so uncool, and why dont northsat have a boyfrined it should be about time he gets one lol
    Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Chaos Burn

Doesn't bother me if a character is gay, bi or straight... but I admit I feel a bit wierd when come across an image of two guys kissing, just because i'm not used to it and it isn't something I consider 'cool'. I'm you standard young guy with a girlfriend and growing comic collection, if i see a villain being smacked or a hot girl in a comic, i'm gonna prefer to read that than two guys kissing

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#56  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @VIZION2010 said:
    "Wait...rector is gay too? :-O!!!! OK I soooo need to brush up on my comics :-/ this is so uncool"

No.  Get your facts straight before you make potentially offensive & homophobic comments like that. 

Rictor slept with Wolfsbane.  He's in a sexual relationship with Shatterstar.  Therefore Rictor is bi-sexual. 

Shatterstar is attracted to any & all human beings no matter their gender, but has dedicated himself to Rictor who he trusts to help him avoid making mistakes. 

Therefore, they are both bi-sexual characters in a gay relationship. 
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By John Valentine
    @longbowhunter said:
    " However, I was shocked and confused by Rictor. "
    Rictor is not simply gay. He's most likely bisexual, given his romantic relationship with Rahne.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#58  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @VIZION2010 said:
    "Wait...rector is gay too? :-O!!!! OK I soooo need to brush up on my comics :-/ this is so uncool"
    No.  Get your facts straight before you make potentially offensive & homophobic comments like that.  Rictor slept with Wolfsbane.  He's in a sexual relationship with Shatterstar.  Therefore Rictor is bi-sexual.  Shatterstar is attracted to any & all human beings no matter their gender, but has dedicated himself to Rictor who he trusts to help him avoid making mistakes.  Therefore, they are both bi-sexual characters in a gay relationship.  "
    That makes sense.
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By longbowhunter
    @John Valentine:
    Thats what I gathered. It just seemed to come out of nowhere. I've read X-Factor since the book relaunched and didnt see any indication of Rictor being bisexual. I think Peter David needs to shape they're relationship a bit more to validate it for me. Perhaps a one-shot is in order.
    VIZION2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By VIZION2011

Ok i didnt men to offend any at all being that im bi myslef and is in a gay relationship I said uncool becuase of my lack in knowledge of somone of my fav characters so please accept my aplogogies I never ment of offend anyone, im at work and was typin too fast so I can see how that would be read the wrong way

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @VIZION2010: It's a tricky topic.  A lot of people can easily be offended and we have to make sure that doesn't happen.   

Still, it is pretty rare to have a bi-couple in a gay relationship.   Lucky 'Star can't 'morph' like Xavin can, or that would make things even more comlex ;)
    VIZION2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By VIZION2011

LMAO I KNOW RIGHT !!!! HAHAHAHAHA

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By John Valentine
    @longbowhunter said:
    " @John Valentine: Thats what I gathered. It just seemed to come out of nowhere. I've read X-Factor since the book relaunched and didnt see any indication of Rictor being bisexual. I think Peter David needs to shape they're relationship a bit more to validate it for me. Perhaps a one-shot is in order. "
    Oh, the notion was started upon ages ago and there have been subtle hints towards Rictor's bisexuality during the latest X-Factor run; for example, Madrox and Rictor both joked about the nature Rictor's relationship with Quicksilver in X-Factor #14 (2007).
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @WW-Fan said:
    " wow this thread sounds homophopia too me! who cares if he's gay? "
    I really hate that word, it's such a cop-out term to discredit someone's opinions. Just because you don't support that lifestyle(and don't like when a favorite character of yours is suddenly made gay) doesn't mean you have a phobia of homosexuals.
    Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By Harlekin
    @EnSabahNurX said:
    " @WW-Fan said:
    I really hate that word, it's such a cop-out term to discredit someone's opinions. Just because you don't support that lifestyle(and don't like when a favorite character of yours is suddenly made gay) doesn't mean you have a phobia of homosexuals. "
    It is homophobia because your having a negative reaction to a character being in a homosexual relationship thats been hinted upon before.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By IrishX
    @VIZION2010 said:
    "Ok i didnt men to offend any at all being that im bi myslef and is in a gay relationship I said uncool becuase of my lack in knowledge of somone of my fav characters so please accept my aplogogies I never ment of offend anyone, im at work and was typin too fast so I can see how that would be read the wrong way "

I don't think it's you that should be apologizing....
    VIZION2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By VIZION2011

I do agree with  EnSabahNurX, however like ms kitty said its a very touchy subject. I myself beleive that it should not be a factor at all and altho people maynot like the life style and we do not expect people to like it, we all must respect that fact that we all derserve the common respect and kindness everyone is intitled to. But with that saying I dont like it when people call somonne homophobic just becuz they express  uncomfertable feelings or an opinion about the subject. I must admit tho it does feel kinda cool seeing gay superheroe's it make us feel we are not alone and kind of proud, kinda like seein a black super hero, when I first saw blackpanther and storm I was on top of the world lmao.

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By WW-Fan
    @Harlekin said:
    " @EnSabahNurX said:
    " @WW-Fan said:
    I really hate that word, it's such a cop-out term to discredit someone's opinions. Just because you don't support that lifestyle(and don't like when a favorite character of yours is suddenly made gay) doesn't mean you have a phobia of homosexuals. "
    It is homophobia because your having a negative reaction to a character being in a homosexual relationship thats been hinted upon before. "

that's true
    bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By bleedingheart
    @EnSabahNurX said:
    " @WW-Fan said:
    Actually that is exactly what it means...
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By WW-Fan

i think this thread should be locked really :/
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @WW-Fan said: 

" i think this thread should be locked really :/ "

Why?  People have made sensible debates about Shatterstar's origins & sexuality.  The title of the thread may be badly phrased, but the rest of the thread is completely reasonable.  The majority of this thread has been to correct the OP.  Don't be too quick to accuse everyone of homophobia, without actually reading what other viners have actually posted.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By xerox_kitty

Here's something to think about.  Back in the Mojoverse, Shatterstar was married.  He's admitted that he had never met her, and that their was a marriage to combine genetic samples for the next generation of warriors.  When he destroyed the replica of his wife to destroy Arcade's hold over Adam-X (in X-Force #30) he was his typical macho self and showed no signs of attraction towards her...   

But, if he's willing to get it on with Rictor & a heavily pregnant Wolfsbane, then I'm betting that Windsong would be in for a good time now :p

X-Force #30
    X-Force #30
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @bleedingheart said:
    " @EnSabahNurX said:
    " @WW-Fan said:
    Actually that is exactly what it means... "
    Actually no it doesn't because I don't support that lifestyle but still am friends with gay people who I have known for close to a decade(they are aware of my views). Like someone who has no issue with gay people but doesn't support gay marriage is often called homophobic which is really not accurate but the word is used to discredit others opinions. Phobia means a fear of, just because you don't support it doesn't mean you are afraid of homosexuals or your some redneck bashing them. Sometimes you can just be more old fashioned or traditional and while you may not approve of their choices you still live your life and acknowledge their existence. You are homophobic if you can't be around a gay person without feeling incredibly uncomfortable or feel the need to verbally/physically attack them.

Homophobia is used too much as an umbrella term.

Now comic character wise say your favorite character that you idolize, think about what its like being them or is someone you look up to is suddenly made gay spur of the moment by the writer, it kind of alters your view of them because it removes your ability to relate to that character like you once could. Not saying there should be no gay characters, but don't suddenly change a character who is already established(much like suddenly changing the race of a character, sometimes it works but mostly it just doesn't serve a purpose), unless its something that can be slowly introduced overtime and makes sense for that specific character.(meaning superman,storm, prof X, nightcrawler, martian manhunter...................................it's not gonna work) 
    A lot of the time changes like this(race, orientation, constantly killing..........) comes off like bad writing because it really doesn't make a character more interesting to read about.
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By WW-Fan

Homophopia is not just that you fear gay people it is also say its against it actully

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @WW-Fan said:
    " Homophopia is not just that you fear gay people it is also say its against it actully "
    Phobia = irrational fear.  Stop trying to insult people by labelling them.

Even if English is not be your first language, you can at least spell-check what you type before you post it.    

@EnSabahNurX: What you're saying reminds me of how some people are reacting negatively to the Wolverine & Domino relationship.  People don't like seeing the shocking sexual personal lives of characters they love.  Personally, I don't like seeing sex in comics unless it's called for in the story or character development.  Often, it feels like it is only used for cheap shock tactics to titillate young teenagers with copious amounts of fan-service. 

I really do get the feeling that is what Peter David is trying to do with Shatterstar.  Although it's not filled with copious amounts of T&A for the fan-boys, it's pushing the boundaries of what most readers are comfortable with... and providing fan-service for the yaoi fan-girls.  At the moment it doesn't feel like it's necessary to see them naked or kissing.  I know they're in a gay relationship, but I don't want to see that any more than I want to see Cyclops or Frost cavorting in bed.  I would rather see them tell a story.  However, it is slowly advancing the plot.  Peter David is a character writer.  He doesn't do cheap thrills, so I don't mind having the occasional page of boring relationship stuff to get to the more interesting developments later.
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By WW-Fan
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @WW-Fan said:
    " Homophopia is not just that you fear gay people it is also say its against it actully "

Even if English is not be your first language, you can at least spell-check what you type before you post it.    

@EnSabahNurX: What you're saying reminds me of how some people are reacting negatively to the Wolverine & Domino relationship.  People don't like seeing the shocking sexual personal lives of characters they love.  Personally, I don't like seeing sex in comics unless it's called for in the story or character development.  Often, it feels like it is only used for cheap shock tactics to titillate young teenagers with copious amounts of fan-service.  I really do get the feeling that is what Peter David is trying to do with Shatterstar.  Although it's not filled with copious amounts of T&A for the fan-boys, it's pushing the boundaries of what most readers are comfortable with... and providing fan-service for the yaoi fan-girls.  At the moment it doesn't feel like it's necessary to see them naked or kissing.  I know they're in a gay relationship, but I don't want to see that any more than I want to see Cyclops or Frost cavorting in bed.  I would rather see them tell a story.  However, it is slowly advancing the plot.  Peter David is a character writer.  He doesn't do cheap thrills, so I don't mind having the occasional page of boring relationship stuff to get to the more interesting developments later. "

then what do you call people you are agains gay people?
    bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By bleedingheart
    @EnSabahNurX said:
    " @bleedingheart said:
    " @EnSabahNurX said:
    " @WW-Fan said:
    Actually no it doesn't because I don't support that lifestyle but still am friends with gay people who I have known for close to a decade(they are aware of my views). Like someone who has no issue with gay people but doesn't support gay marriage is often called homophobic which is really not accurate but the word is used to discredit others opinions. Phobia means a fear of, just because you don't support it doesn't mean you are afraid of homosexuals or your some redneck bashing them. Sometimes you can just be more old fashioned or traditional and while you may not approve of their choices you still live your life and acknowledge their existence. You are homophobic if you can't be around a gay person without feeling incredibly uncomfortable or feel the need to verbally/physically attack them.  Homophobia is used too much as an umbrella term.Now comic character wise say your favorite character that you idolize, think about what its like being them or is someone you look up to is suddenly made gay spur of the moment by the writer, it kind of alters your view of them because it removes your ability to relate to that character like you once could. Not saying there should be no gay characters, but don't suddenly change a character who is already established(much like suddenly changing the race of a character, sometimes it works but mostly it just doesn't serve a purpose), unless its something that can be slowly introduced overtime and makes sense for that specific character.(meaning superman,storm, prof X, nightcrawler, martian manhunter...................................it's not gonna work)  A lot of the time changes like this(race, orientation, constantly killing..........) comes off like bad writing because it really doesn't make a character more interesting to read about. "
    Your "tolerance of gay people" is almost as big an insult as out right gay bashing. No gay person needs you to "acknowledge their existence", if anything they want to be left alone. Assimilated into the normal society without separation. How good a friend can you be to someone without "supporting" them and their "lifestyle". Not a very good one in my book.  If you don't feel threaten or frightened by it, why else would you make a point to not "support" the LGBT? Dissecting the prefix, suffix, root, and whatever else of a word is purely semantics.

As xerox-kitty already pointed out, this is NOT a sudden change from a chest-beating straight male...to a pansy homosexual. There has been rumors and hints from the get go. And why is it hard to believe that a person can become sexually enlightened as an adult? Orientation and race cannot be compared to one another because orientation is not set in stone as ethnicity is.
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By WW-Fan
    @bleedingheart said:
    " @EnSabahNurX said:
    " @bleedingheart said:
    " @EnSabahNurX said:
    " @WW-Fan said:
    Actually no it doesn't because I don't support that lifestyle but still am friends with gay people who I have known for close to a decade(they are aware of my views). Like someone who has no issue with gay people but doesn't support gay marriage is often called homophobic which is really not accurate but the word is used to discredit others opinions. Phobia means a fear of, just because you don't support it doesn't mean you are afraid of homosexuals or your some redneck bashing them. Sometimes you can just be more old fashioned or traditional and while you may not approve of their choices you still live your life and acknowledge their existence. You are homophobic if you can't be around a gay person without feeling incredibly uncomfortable or feel the need to verbally/physically attack them.  Homophobia is used too much as an umbrella term.Now comic character wise say your favorite character that you idolize, think about what its like being them or is someone you look up to is suddenly made gay spur of the moment by the writer, it kind of alters your view of them because it removes your ability to relate to that character like you once could. Not saying there should be no gay characters, but don't suddenly change a character who is already established(much like suddenly changing the race of a character, sometimes it works but mostly it just doesn't serve a purpose), unless its something that can be slowly introduced overtime and makes sense for that specific character.(meaning superman,storm, prof X, nightcrawler, martian manhunter...................................it's not gonna work)  A lot of the time changes like this(race, orientation, constantly killing..........) comes off like bad writing because it really doesn't make a character more interesting to read about. "
    Your "tolerance of gay people" is almost as big an insult as out right gay bashing. No gay person needs you to "acknowledge their existence", if anything they want to be left alone. Assimilated into the normal society without separation. How good a friend can you be to someone without "supporting" them and their "lifestyle". Not a very good one in my book.  If you don't feel threaten or frightened by it, why else would you make a point to not "support" the LGBT? Dissecting the prefix, suffix, root, and whatever else of a word is purely semantics. As xerox-kitty already pointed out, this is NOT a sudden change from a chest-beating straight male...to a pansy homosexual. There has been rumors and hints from the get go. And why is it hard to believe that a person can become sexually enlightened as an adult? Orientation and race cannot be compared to one another because orientation is not set in stone as ethnicity is. "

thats is amazing answear! :D
    bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By bleedingheart

But that is the last thing I have to say on the matter.

Can't change the world through a comic book forum....

Avatar image for capnninjapirate
    capnninjapirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By capnninjapirate

"  then what do you call people you are agains gay people?" 

homophobia is the right term. The word phobia originally meant irrational fear, but whenm used in homophobia it´s more akin to racism. A dictionary definition is   Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards homosexuality and people who are identified as or perceived as being homosexual´´ 
    So, in fact, claiming someone is 'wrong' to live in that lifestyle is indeed a form of homophobia. 

As for suddenly being unable to relate to a character because they're gay is an idea i can't get my head around. Surely what they do in their own time, or who they choose to love, is irrelevant to the rest of their personality. If i suddenly found out that spider-man was vegan, i could still relate to him even though i personally hate tofu. He'd still be a funny guy who fights for what's right, right?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @WW-Fan said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    " @WW-Fan said:

Even if English is not be your first language, you can at least spell-check what you type before you post it."
    then what do you call people you are agains gay people? "
    If you take the time to read what people have posted, then you will see that no-one has said 'I hate gay people'.  People are allowed to feel uncomfortable; it doesn't mean they hate a comic book character for being gay.  People are allowed to say they don't like the change in direction a character has taken; it doesn't mean they hate the character because of their sexuality.  So far, everyone has given a rational & satisfactory explanation of why they like or dislike the changes to Shatterstar's character.   You are labelling people as homophobes for no reason and it is insulting.  This is a mature discussion, not a chance to randomly label everybody a homophobe without considering the consequences.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#82  Edited By jordama

People chill out.  

Rictor and Shatterstar have been hinted to like guys for a long time, Madrox even said that he thought they had a thing way back when, but never officially declared until recently. There have been a bunch of clues in the latest X-Factor series that Rictor liked guys, the whole thing with Pietro for starters. Making a character gay or bisexual should not take away from the character, it doesn't diminish who they are. I think the really problem is that there are two strong characters that are comfortable with their sexuality, this is uncommon in men.  

I am Biromantic Asexual, and I will say this, stop hating and saying Homophobia, or that someone is homophobic. I've learned that a lot of people, especially men are uncomfortable with homosexuality and shouting that they are gay haters is not going to bring everyone together, it is just going to piss people off more.  

No one is talking about turning Superman or Spider-man gay. These companies aren't stupid. These characters have always been straight, some characters aren't. It is that simple.  

And on Northstar, he wasn't originally gay, when he was originally created, they did not stamp a rainbow on his butt and declare him a queen, they decided that a gay character was needed or wanted and the writer realized that it was Northstar, and he just didn't realise it until that moment. Him coming out was even more poignant because when he did it story wise, he had just adopted a little girl who had Aids and was dying. That story as a whole is powerful. He came out to raise awareness. That is why the LGBT community liked what marvel did.

On Colossus being gay in Ultimate, I think it is unrealistic to think that in the infinate realities of the marvel universe that all characters have the same sexuality in each one. There is one where Karma, Illyana, and Anole are straight. Just like i know there is a reality where Mr Fantastic is gay, or from what I have read on Comicvine there is.   

Just keep in mind that calling someone homophobic , or racist or whatever because they share different beliefs is not helping. Have we learned nothing from X-Men on Hate and discrimination?
    inkbot01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By inkbot01
    @charlieboy said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus: i don't believe that shatterstar was ever pronounced straight before. and lots of people in real life are thought to be straight and later are found to be gay. there is nothing dumb or wrong about it. and i don't really see how making a character gay would boost sales that much. man, young avengers must have sold through the roof. l  
    lol yeah, I don't care what the character's sexual orientation is, as long as its part of some great story telling. And if its not, then why talk about it in the first place (straight characters included). 
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By devilmanex

Rictor going bi....didn't bother me a bit.  It seemed in character and was built up for a while.  Shatterstar going bi or having any attraction to humans bothers me.  The way Liefeld (yea I know everyone hates him but I loved his original X Force) wrote Shatterstar he was kind of asexual and that made him seem all the more dangerous.  I liked him better when he was consistently in culture shock but seemed to not like human culture.  I don't like how he's been written the past few years as someone who is in culture shock but happy to learn human ways.  It seems like two different characters to me.  Shatterstar now seems like a horn dog whether he's hooking up with men or women and when I read my old X Force books it just doesn't seem like a natural progression.  I understand it was the writers choice to make Shatterstar want to assimilate better into society but I liked him better before.  Also I feel Shatterstar's badassness has taken a back seat to his sexuality.  I understand the tone of X Factor is a lot different than the original X Force but so is the 80's Uncanny X men and X Factor but I still think Longshot is the same character he was.  I'm still hoping this shatterstar is a skrull from Secret Invasion.  I liked the old costume better too lol

P.S.  I wish I didn't HAVE to say this but I feel I do after reading some earlier posts.  Don't call me homophobic because I like asexual Shatterstar better.  In my profession 80% of the male community is gay so spare me the baseless accusations

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jordama
    @DevilmanEX:
    I thought I heard he was originally portrayed as asexual and even started a forum because i found the recent story in contradiction. The forum was a dead end but I think I would have (obviously) liked to see an actual asexual character, but his sexuality is explained pretty well so i'm good.
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By devilmanex
    @jordama: From what I remember, and don't quote me on it cuz I'm not 100% certain, he started out asexual and didn't remember much of his past and then he found out he was married in Mojoverse.  Then the marriage was set up just to create another genetically perfect being and it was shown that he had no emotion toward his so called wife.  He was written as the perfect soldier with no over emotional attachment except for his strong loyalty to his brothers in arms.  Rictor was a good friend because he was proven in battle. I wouldn't of mind seeing Rictor show Shatterstar advances and but ultimately they would be unrequited because of his asexuality.  That would cause some drama no?  Current Shatterstar is too happy not the sentinel I once knew.   Then again he was one dimensional but what would you expect from a product of perfect fighting genetic engineering?! lol
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By jordama
    @DevilmanEX:
    That is basically what I heard, it would be hilarious if I heard it from you, haha 

There is the possibilty he could be Biromantic and have a different kind of attraction, but that would either make little sense in the long run, a warrior that just has a romantic relationship, or would evole into a sexuality the longer he was with a person. The latter is what i kinda assume, so I think the transition he made is pretty decent. On a side note there is some that claim demisexual and basically they start off as asexual and later get sexual feeling for their partner but i  now very little on the matter
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By devilmanex
    @jordama:  That would be funny if it was me lol Yea I briefly learned about that (demisexual) in an anthro course Sex and Sexuality in college.  That was some years back so its not too fresh in my mind (also I took that class to meet girls and ended up learning about all the varied aspects of human sexuality, its REALLY REALLY varied! lol)  I know on TLC they have a show called Strange Sex which goes into these aspects such as asexuality, demisexuality, and all others.  You'd like it, check your cable guide.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#89  Edited By Mercy_
    @inkbot01 said:
    " @charlieboy said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus: i don't believe that shatterstar was ever pronounced straight before. and lots of people in real life are thought to be straight and later are found to be gay. there is nothing dumb or wrong about it. and i don't really see how making a character gay would boost sales that much. man, young avengers must have sold through the roof. l  
    lol yeah, I don't care what the character's sexual orientation is, as long as its part of some great story telling. And if its not, then why talk about it in the first place (straight characters included).  "
    I completely agree with this. 
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By jordama
    @DevilmanEX:
    I should look that up. Its nice chatting with someone that has basic understanding of asexuality that is respectful. One guy was talking down to me, like I had no idea what I was talking about, which is funny cause i am asexual :P
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By xerox_kitty

Just as a reminder that Jeph Loeb didn't "make Shatterstar gay", but Peter David did... Jeph Loeb was still restricted by the limitations of the Comics Code Authority. 

Jeph Loeb's Shatterstar
    Jeph Loeb's Shatterstar

Peter David's Kisserstar
    Peter David's Kisserstar

Peter David Made It Official... smoochie smoochie!
    Peter David Made It Official... smoochie smoochie!
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Shadowdoggy

this thread is sad and pathetic 
    go ahead and hate whoever you want for "making" someone gay 
    you're obviously an ignorant bigot, so your opinion really doesn't matter all that much 
    so.....thanks for sharing?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Shadowdoggy said:
    "

this thread is sad and pathetic 
    go ahead and hate whoever you want for "making" someone gay 
    you're obviously an ignorant bigot, so your opinion really doesn't matter all that much 
    so.....thanks for sharing?

"
    If you bothered to read the rest of this thread, you'll see that this is a mature discussion.  You do not label people 'ignorant bigots' without taking the time to get your facts right first.
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @xerox-kitty:
    no, I read it 
    I was just responding to the initial comment instead of everything to come after it, being that I wasn't a part of any of that conversation 
    that's all
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @WW-Fan said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    " @WW-Fan said:

Even if English is not be your first language, you can at least spell-check what you type before you post it."
    then what do you call people you are agains gay people? "
    If you take the time to read what people have posted, then you will see that no-one has said 'I hate gay people'.  People are allowed to feel uncomfortable; it doesn't mean they hate a comic book character for being gay.  People are allowed to say they don't like the change in direction a character has taken; it doesn't mean they hate the character because of their sexuality.  So far, everyone has given a rational & satisfactory explanation of why they like or dislike the changes to Shatterstar's character.   You are labelling people as homophobes for no reason and it is insulting.  This is a mature discussion, not a chance to randomly label everybody a homophobe without considering the consequences. "

except for the guy who made the inital comment 
    the last thing he said was "oh, that's different?" or something to that effect about Rictor being bi, not gay 
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Shadowdoggy: When you make a comment 5 pages after the opening post, it isn't considered to be at the person who created the thread.  You didn't even use the @Reply function (which you just used to reply to me).  On top of that, X-forcer has been banned for other offences, so you're pretty much ranting at nobody. 

Like I said, this thread has been a reasonable & maturely handled discussion.  Lets keep it that way, instead of ranting.
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ARMIV
    @Nobody said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " @jordama said:
    " wow, a writer made a character gay so you hate him. that is just sad.   and just for the record, he isn't gay, he is bisexual. "
    Not really I don't know anything about Shatterstar. But turning a staright character gay or gay character straight is just dumb wrong and is to boost numbers. Like if they made Superman gay I riot the streets and I would be equally upset if Midnighter started doing chicks  "
    Exactly. "

Here here!
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @xerox-kitty:
    well, I didnt' know he had been banned 
    and I thought that by NOT using the @ feature, I would seem to be replying to the thread itself (ie the initial post or thread starter) and not any of the tangent conversations that sprung from it 
    I meant no disrespect to anyone else
    and I made sure to find out each post the thread-starter made so as not to say something he had already apoligized for or worked out with others as the discussion went on 
    I'm a veteran message boarder, I wouldn't blindly rant at people who were calmly discussing a thread, regardless of the subject matter 
    and I don't think I was the only one to say something to effect of "This thread is sad, it saddens me, it shouldn't be here" all that  
    I don't know what I did to get your ire up, but there's no need for it really 
    sorry if I was ranting at no one in the end, but I maintain a zero tolerance policy on public intolerance
    Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#99  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @Shadow_Thief said:

" So what is it, exactly, about this development that upsets you? Are you against homo/bisexuality in general, are you upset that Shatterstar, specifically, is being developed as possibly such, or is it the way this development is being handled that irks you?   I notice that you use a Shatterstar image as your avatar. Are you worried that people will make assumptions about you, based on that? Do you identify with the character, and worry that this would make you question your own sexuality? Are you Mel Gibson?  Shatterstar is a fictional character, and not even a terribly mainstream one, at that. Why does this aspect of his persona upset you? "

He was originally designed to be an asexual test tube warrior, suddenly he has feelings for men. 
    Maybe it was a natural evolution with all the in story-hints after Liefield left. 

But the idea is that the writers changed his origin and it seems forced, this was not his original origin.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Shadowdoggy: If you had read the rest of the posts in this thread (like you claim to have done) then you would see that no-one here has tolerated any kind of bigotry.  Like I said, 5 pages after the Opening Post, you were ranting at no-one.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.