Follow

Shatterstar

Character » Shatterstar appears in 1094 issues.

A refugee from Mojoworld, Shatterstar came to earth and joined forces with Cable's New Mutants which soon transformed into X-Force. Also a key former member of X-Factor Investigations.

Why did jeph leob make shatterstar gay.

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

X-forcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By X-forcer

I used to admire jeph lobe but now I kinda hate him 

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Video_Martian

who's shatterstar?

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By charlieboy

because it fleshes out the character some and makes him more interesting.
    bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By bleedingheart

This thread saddens me...

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

One word Money

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iLLituracy

Better question: Why does it matter?

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By charlieboy
    @iLLituracy:
    exactly.
    Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hunter114
    @charlieboy said:
    "because it fleshes out the character some and makes him more interesting. "

@iLLituracy said:
    "Better question: Why does it matter? "

@bleedingheart said:
    "This thread saddens me..."

Nice to see some people get the idea...
    Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Big

Shatterstar gay? No wonder he liked those big swords so much. ;)
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By jordama

wow, a writer made a character gay so you hate him. that is just sad.  

and just for the record, he isn't gay, he is bisexual.
    X-forcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By X-forcer

ooh big freaking difference

The Mango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The Mango

He's always looked gay to me.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @X-forcer said:
    " ooh big freaking difference "
    It is a big difference.

Heterosexual: Attracted to the opposite sex.
    Homosexual: Attracted to the same sex.
    Bisexual: Attracted to both sexes (male and female)

So it is different.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14  Edited By The_Martian

I would be upset if Shatterstar showed interest in women in the past.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By charlieboy

does anybody else think this thread suffers from raging homophobia?
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @jordama said:
    " wow, a writer made a character gay so you hate him. that is just sad.   and just for the record, he isn't gay, he is bisexual. "
    Not really I don't know anything about Shatterstar. But turning a staright character gay or gay character straight is just dumb wrong and is to boost numbers. Like if they made Superman gay I riot the streets and I would be equally upset if Midnighter started doing chicks 
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

To be perfectly honest, I don't know much about him. I think the only thing I read of him was in the X-Factor tie-ins to Second Coming.

I don't hate gay characters (Northstar). I'm fine with them. I get annoyed when they take previously heterosexual characters (Ultimate Colossus) and make them homosexual (... yes I know it's a different universe. Still annoyed me). I'd say the same thing if Northstar all of a sudden became straight (even in the Ultimate universe). I don't know anything about Shatterstar, and therefore I don't know what his sexual orientation was previously stated to be.

That said, I hate Jeph Loeb for completely unrelated reasons (*cough*redhulk*cough*).

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18  Edited By The_Martian
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " @jordama said:
    " wow, a writer made a character gay so you hate him. that is just sad.   and just for the record, he isn't gay, he is bisexual. "
    Not really I don't know anything about Shatterstar. But turning a staright character gay or gay character straight is just dumb wrong and is to boost numbers. Like if they made Superman gay I riot the streets and I would be equally upset if Midnighter started doing chicks  "
    Exactly.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @charlieboy said:
    " does anybody else think this thread suffers from raging homophobia? "
    No it is a legitimate question 
    charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By charlieboy
    @Son_of_Magnus:
    i don't believe that shatterstar was ever pronounced straight before. and lots of people in real life are thought to be straight and later are found to be gay. there is nothing dumb or wrong about it. and i don't really see how making a character gay would boost sales that much. man, young avengers must have sold through the roof.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @charlieboy said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus: i don't believe that shatterstar was ever pronounced straight before. and lots of people in real life are thought to be straight and later are found to be gay. there is nothing dumb or wrong about it. and i don't really see how making a character gay would boost sales that much. man, young avengers must have sold through the roof. "
    Ok you go ahead and turn Batman gay and see how much press you don't get. 
    charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By charlieboy
    @Son_of_Magnus:
    you would get press. but the sales of the comic would probably drop after the initial shock. because there is a great deal of homophobia in this country.  i don't know why people are so hung up on sexuality. and the reason i think this thread is homophobic is because of the way it is presented by the op.
    bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bleedingheart
    @Son_of_Magnus:  The one flaw in your logic is that Shatterstar isn't an iconic character like Superman...so what kind of "money" does Marvel have to gain? It is the writers job to add something new to the characters you love, otherwise you end up bored with them. If anything they run the risk of LOSING money due to bigotry.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @charlieboy said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus: you would get press. but the sales of the comic would probably drop after the initial shock. because there is a great deal of homophobia in this country.  i don't know why people are so hung up on sexuality. and the reason i think this thread is homophobic is because of the way it is presented by the op. "
    Marvel got boosts in sales press endorsements and awards for Northstar. So did Wildstorm. I think people are just to wound up and right the slightest things off as homophobia or hate crimes 
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @bleedingheart: A gay character no matter how large will attract attention from the modern liberal media praising it or conservative media denouncing it. And it will shoots spikes in the comic book community where it will target people will read it out of curiosity. Really give any other reason why on God's green Earth there is a right reason to make an establish long running straight character all of the sudden gay?
    charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By charlieboy
    @Son_of_Magnus:
    john byrne actually always intended northstar to be gay. he just ended up coming out. and northstar is not that popular of a character. and i see his back issues of him miniseries in the bins for a dollar. that's a lot of money. and there is nothing wrong with either marvel or wildstorm having diverse characters. if it makes them money. good for them. but none of these characters which were iconic. which was your argument.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @charlieboy said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus: john byrne actually always intended northstar to be gay. he just ended up coming out. and northstar is not that popular of a character. and i see his back issues of him miniseries in the bins for a dollar. that's a lot of money. and there is nothing wrong with either marvel or wildstorm having diverse characters. if it makes them money. good for them. but none of these characters which were iconic. which was your argument. "
    Northstar made huge press when he came out GLAAD was praising Marvel and doing all sorts of things for them and Churches wanted to burn them down it was big and very controversial. Controversy causes fame and fame causes money. turning Rawhide Kid had people in both the comic industry and outside world out for blood but his mini where he was gay sold great and people still by it because of the controversy behind. As well I only found out about him and Midnighter because of all the hype of them being gay. And it worked since I buy basically anything Midnighter related  
    gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gunjin

because minorities are the new black.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By charlieboy
    @Son_of_Magnus:
    so if you like midnighter and you don't care if he is gay... then why does it matter if other characters are gay?. and i don't disagree with you that it makes money for awhile. but in the long run good story telling is what is going to get people to stay. marvel got a lot of press off of the death of cap. and dc with superman. cheap stunts that were just solely for the purpose of making money. how is that any different? all the comic companies do stuff like that. they are there to make money. and i don't think that shatterstar has really earned marvel any money with his being bi. he is a blist character. x-factor makes money because the writing is good.  i just sitll fail to see what the sexuality of the character matters at all. if the book is good then i will read it.
    bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bleedingheart

Northstar came out almost 20 years ago...since then many gay characters have been instituted in media everywhere. My point is that the wow-factor is starting wear off. Only degenerates seem to be amazed and threaten by it. I just don't see how sexuality can cause such emotion...be it positive or negative. It matters very little after all since they spend most of their time fighting evil villains. Will Shatterstar's ambiguous sexuality affect his feats....no it won't.

riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By riri4life

Guys, guys! He wasn't "made gay", he was born that way! lol Anyway, the more diversity, the better. Especially for the LGBT community. I think its great. Funny how we are just now seeing a surge in gay characters. Sign of the times. Equality for all! 

bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bleedingheart
    @gunjin said:
    " because minorities are the new black. "
    This puzzles me.
    gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gunjin
    @bleedingheart said:
    " @gunjin said:
    " because minorities are the new black. "
    This puzzles me. "
    yeah i guess it doesn't make sense. i was trying to say minorities are more popular in media than ever now, but it just came out sliiightly racist. haha.  

<< minority btw.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By Zoom
    @Big said:
    " Shatterstar gay? No wonder he liked those big swords so much. ;) "

My guess is that you think swords are phalic?
    charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By charlieboy

and i am a gay man. do i get upset when a character i like turns out to be straight?  whether it be a new one or an old one. no i do not. because sexuality does not matter. people are people. characters are characters. love them for entertaining you. and if the gay thing is that big of a deal. just don't read the books. but gay people deserve to have heroes that represent them just like any other group does.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#36  Edited By xerox_kitty

Jeph Loeb didn't "make" him gay.  Jeph Loeb wrote stories that insinuated Shatterstar's emotional attachment to Rictor at a time when Marvel still abided by the rules of the Comics Code Authority.  The CCA wouldn't approve of any comic that featured homosexuality, and therefore Marvel didn't have any official gay characters till several yars after Jeph Loeb's stint.

However, there had been rumours among fans of Shatterstar's sexuality long before that.  Just as there used to be about Iceman's sexuality.  Jeph Loeb went along with those rumours, fueling them. 

It's most likely that if Marvel wasn't with the CCA at the time, then Jeph Loeb might have written more blatant stories about 'Star's sexual preference.  However, I feel I should point out that...

Shatterstar isn't gay.  If he was homosexual, then he would only be attracted to men.  That isn't the case.  He's exploring senses & experiences that have been denied to him his entire life.  He kissed Boom Boom and (inappropriately) invited Wolfsbane to join him & Rictor as they were about to have sex.  Although I find it far-fetched to believe he doesn't know the rights & wrongs of being in a relationship and sleeping around, the character development of Shattarstar exploring his sexuality is squarely on Peter David's shoulders.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Mercy_
    @jordama said:
    You're back!!!!
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#38  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I don't have a problem with gay characters, but it ticks me off when characters switch. Like Buffy in Season 8, I've nothing against the homosexual community, but that really annoyed me.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By Shadow_Thief

So what is it, exactly, about this development that upsets you? Are you against homo/bisexuality in general, are you upset that Shatterstar, specifically, is being developed as possibly such, or is it the way this development is being handled that irks you? 

I notice that you use a Shatterstar image as your avatar. Are you worried that people will make assumptions about you, based on that? Do you identify with the character, and worry that this would make you question your own sexuality? Are you Mel Gibson?

Shatterstar is a fictional character, and not even a terribly mainstream one, at that. Why does this aspect of his persona upset you?

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By charlieboy
    @FadeToBlackBolt:
    eh buffy herself said she was not gay. she was just being experimental. lots of women. do it. my roomate is a straight female and has tried women before in her experimental phase. it did not bother me at all that buffy tried. does not mean that she is not straight anymore. i did not even think it was out of character for buffy. she always jumped into bed with people when the world was not right with her.
    VIZION2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By VIZION2011

Shattersater never was gay in the first place :-O WOW!!!! I always just assumed he was, I never seen him interested in a female, and secondly Im a 27 year old bi male and I do not like when people make a good character gay. If supes or spidey go gay I will boycott both, I didn't even like it when they made my boy Colossus gay, that was just wrong "ok..ok so I did kind of like the idea but it was still wrong lmao". To be honest I always thought Batman has a little sugar in his tank and wolverine always looked iffy too, trust me guys its always the ones that are way too masculine and you least expect lmao. But all jokes aside I don't want too many gay characters we have enough as it is, Midnighter,Batwoman Ultimate Colossus,wiccan, North Star etc..."im starting to notice a trend with marvel or is it just me?" lmao hahahahaha.    
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#42  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @VIZION2010 said:
    "Shattersater never was gay in the first place :-O WOW!!!! I always just assumed he was, I never seen him interested in a female."
    These days, Shatterstar isn't picky who he's intimate with...
    Nation X: X-Factor #1
    Nation X: X-Factor #1

"Care to join us?"
    VIZION2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By VIZION2011

Oh wow thats all I gotta say is oh wow !!!! I think that maybe a little too adult for some kids even pre teens, but for some wirde reason I like it lol
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By WW-Fan

wow this thread sounds homophopia too me! who cares if he's gay?
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @charlieboy said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt: eh buffy herself said she was not gay. she was just being experimental. lots of women. do it. my roomate is a straight female and has tried women before in her experimental phase. it did not bother me at all that buffy tried. does not mean that she is not straight anymore. i did not even think it was out of character for buffy. she always jumped into bed with people when the world was not right with her. "
    Yeah, I got that, but it felt like a ratings grab to me. I was also really, really annoyed after her whole "baking" speech to Angel. I really liked Willow's relationship with Tara (I miss Tara), so I really do not want anyone to think I have anything against the homosexual. Everyone is equally inferior to Batman as far as I'm concerned :D
    Avatar image for american_dragon
    American Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By American Dragon
    IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By IcePrince_X

doesn't bother me...  
    but I think he is character that is still growing in term of human to human interaction, since he was brought up differently in the mojo universe.  
    the sad thing here might be Rictor who is into him too much.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @IcePrince_X: I thought Rictor was straight. Did he get Rahne pregnant? (I don't read X-Factor).
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @IcePrince_X: I thought Rictor was straight. Did he get Rahne pregnant? (I don't read X-Factor). "
    This character called   Hrimhari got her prego.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @xxCellPhoneGirlxx: Thank you :) 

Lesson learned;  never assume anything based on solicits

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.