Follow

Shang-Chi

Character » Shang-Chi appears in 1040 issues.

Shang-Chi is the son of a sinister Chinese mastermind. He was raised and trained in the martial arts by his father and his instructors. A spy, a romantic, a philosopher and an Avenger. As one of the best martial artists in the Marvel universe, Shang chooses to use his talents to fight evil and defend the innocent.

He should have his own book

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BaBaBoom

What Marvel lacks is a strong Asian male character that doesn't always rely on his math skills to fight crime (Amadeus Cho). That being said, I'm getting irritated of always seeing Asian characters always on the supportive role. Heck, even the mystical city of kung-fu, K'un-Lun, required a white guy to be it's champion (Iron Fist) which is starting to become a cliche, if it isn't a cliche yet.

So, he should have his own book.
    Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By Teerack

I think him and the prince of orphans should just become a full time member of secret avengers. I'd also like to see the Human torch out of his comma and on that team.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By jsphsmth

@BaBaBoom: He was mentioned in the EW article as being one of the eighteen member of the Hickman's Avengers. It would be nice if Marvel's relaunch was about diversifying their line like DC did, but I doubt it. I would enjoy a nice street-level story involving Shang-Chi and/or other Marvel martial artists like Electra, Iron Fist, or The Monkey King.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By KainScion

@Teerack: isnt the prince of orphans bad now?

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Duke_Nasty

@jsphsmth: Yea but look what happened to DC's diverse line-up.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#6  Edited By Teerack

@Duke_Nasty said:

@jsphsmth: Yea but look what happened to DC's diverse line-up.

Eh, the defenders plot isn't over yet, so maybe?

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jsphsmth

@Duke_Nasty: It sold great and they are further diversifying the line. A success that Marvel is watching carefully as they are no longer the "House of Ideas."

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Duke_Nasty

@jsphsmth: Oh I thought you mean't "diversifying" as in ethnically like the OP mentioned.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jsphsmth

@Duke_Nasty: I actually meant both. They now have a larger selection as far as genres go.

They did miss the boat when it came to ethnic diversity somewhat. Mister Terrific and Static Shock both failed due to poor writing, unfortunately.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Duke_Nasty

@jsphsmth: Yea I hope Marvel gets some more dark books going.

Tired of all the Avengers and X-Men and I used to love X-Men.

People need to get fired over at Marvel.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jsphsmth

@Duke_Nasty said:

@jsphsmth: Yea I hope Marvel gets some more dark books going.

Agreed. They have a nice collection of supernatural characters. I would love to see them actually publish a comic containing some.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has nowhere near the fanbase to sustain a book, if you really want to see it successful he will have to be part of another book (Iron Fist?) and build from there. If Marvel gave him a title it would not make it to issue 6.

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Dakens son

@BaBaBoom: Exactly!

There are some cool Asian characters in Marvel universe(heroes and villains alike) and they are always kept in the shadows for some others to be at the spotlight.

Shang-Chi is one of my favourite heroes out there and to imagine he trained some of the big names(Iron fist,wolverine,Daredevil etc) he has to own his own title and arc one day!

Heeeeeey Joe Quesada,Axel Alonso enough with the Avengers,X-men,Iron man,Captain America and other higly profitable titles!

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
    Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

@BaBaBoom said:

What Marvel lacks is a strong Asian male character that doesn't always rely on his math skills to fight crime (Amadeus Cho). That being said, I'm getting irritated of always seeing Asian characters always on the supportive role. Heck, even the mystical city of kung-fu, K'un-Lun, required a white guy to be it's champion (Iron Fist) which is starting to become a cliche, if it isn't a cliche yet.

Ummm... He dose have his own book... Master of Kung Fu.

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BaBaBoom

@Kid_Omega_Prime: OMG!! I totally did not know that before starting this topic, not. (Sorry for the sarcasm I can't help it.) That's way back in the 80s with the Bruce Lee and Karate Kid hype and I doubt I can find those and read it much less make it relevant. Anyway, I heard that the new creative team of another Avengers book in the Marvel NOW line-up is planning on using Shang Chi for a story or so. Not what I wanted but I'll take what I can get.

Maverick74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maverick74

MASTER OF KUNG FU was Marvel's most thoughtful, carefully plotted, and intelligently written series. Thank you, Doug Moench! Many of the splash pages resembled James Bond movie posters. The cinematic art of Paul Gulacy, Mike Zeck, and Gene Day brought stylized martial arts action alive in a way nobody had been able to before, or for that matter, since! The crackling and kinetic fight scenes were given additional depth with convincingly complete background environments. Let's not forget the sublimely rich ambiance and moody tone! Yup, all that combined to make MOKF possibly the greatest comic book series of the of the era.

I would love to see Shang Chi in his own monthly, once more! I'd even settle for a mini each year!

Unfortunately, comic sales are not presently thriving. (I hold everyone of you that download unofficial scans of new comics, rather than purchasing legitimate copies direct or at your local shop, personally and partially responsible!) Additionally, all us old fans and all you new ones just won't get our acts together. Soon as you find a way to increase the characters popularity, then for all of us to make enough noise to "force" Marvel to give it a shot, finally to get everybody to put their money where their mouth is and pony up the cash religiously each month/year, count me in!

Of course, if Ang Lee's Shang Chi movie that I keep hearing about (it was just announced again on a Chinese news service 2013-03-07) ever actually goes into production and gets released, then we might have a glimmer of hope!

For those of you who are interested and don't already know, there are torrent downloads available of the complete MOKF and DHOKF series' in .cbr format. I figure since there will be no reprint of the run in the foreseeable future, there's not much harm in snagging an unofficial digital version.

Chronological Appearances (by Publication)

http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Shang-Chi_%28Earth-616%29/Appearances

Alternate Reality Versions

http://marvel.wikia.com/Shang-Chi

Master Of Kung Fu issue by issue review blog

http://essentialmasterofkungfu.tumblr.com/

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Absolutely he should have his own book. Unfortunately, a lot of the ancillary properties, such as his original villain, are still owned by a 3rd party somehow. So they can't really reprint his old stuff and that somewhat impedes his new stuff. Also, the "asian kung fu guy" is kind of a stereotype, and no matter how original Shang-Chi is, people will always see him and think "Kato clone" since Bruce Lee made that character so iconic. Let's look at Marvel's male Asian characters though:

They mostly seem to fall into the "martial artist" category. Granted, a lot of superheroes do, but it's a little much. Sunfire and Jimmy Woo are good exceptions though. I especially like Woo because his Agents of Atlas incarnation was essentially a way to take the piss out of the "yellow menace" stereotype villains like Mandarin, specifically Yellow Claw who was retconned as playing to the stereotype on purpose to prompt a response from the Americans. I like Amadeus Cho too but that's mostly cause he was great in Incredible Hercules.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By fodigg

@bababoom said:

… even the mystical city of kung-fu, K'un-Lun, required a white guy to be it's champion (Iron Fist) which is starting to become a cliche, if it isn't a cliche yet.

The cliche of a white person who joins up with a different culture (or sub-culture) and almost immediately becomes the best at everything that culture is known for and then saves them all somehow is quite common; the TV Tropes site calls it "mighty whitey". It's especially popular in films:

• Dances With Wolves
    • Last of the Mohicans
    • The Ghost in the Darkness
    • Last Samurai
    • Beverly Hills Ninja
    • Kill Bill
    • Kingdom of Heaven
    • Step Up
    • Hidalgo
    • Pathfinder

The film District 9 does a good job of averting this, showing the white male lead literally becoming one of the oppressed minority and instead of becoming some sort of messiah figure, he's instead simply oppressed like the rest of them, only worse because he's labeled a traitor.

And of course, Heart of Darkness is about the typical setup except after becoming the leader of his personal African tribe, Kurtz goes insane.

In comics, other big-name mighty whiteys are:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.