Follow

Sgt. Rock

Character » Sgt. Rock appears in 796 issues.

A veteran of World War II who served as an infantry non-commissioned officer, Frank Rock is one of the most popular characters from war comics.

Sgt. Rock Won't Be A WWII Film

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    LA Times Blog let all the Sgt. Rock fans know today that producer Joel Silver has breathed new life into the film based off of DC Comic Sgt. Rock; however, this comes with some news that I'm sure will disappoint many Sgt. Rock fans.

Silver said the plan now is for the old warhorse of DC Comics to serve his country in the not-too-distant future. The idea of a future battlefield setting has reinvigorated a property that has flirted with the big screen for decades. 

"It's a little bit in the future," Silver said of the setting. "As a war movie, it's not going to be 'where it's been,' it's going to be 'where it's going.' We didn't want to do Iraq, we didn't want to do a contemporary war. We wanted to do a sort of futuristic war. It's pretty strong. Chad St. John wrote the script and we've got Francis Lawrence involved in developing it with us. It's not a 'go' movie yet but I'm feeling good about it."

Chad St. John has no credits to his name yet, according to his imdb page. Francis Lawrence was the director of I Am Legend, and Constantine, so he does have experience in adaptation films, whether you like those films or not. 

It is true that Inglorious Basterds, as mentioned on the LA Time Blog, covered WWII in a humorous and exciting way, so that can be seen as a deterrent, but why change the time? I'm guessing they've got a really good story idea or start of a script. So, I'm guessing the only real way to see a more authentic Sgt. Rock film is to go out and buy Band of Brothers. (Don't watch it... buy it) Well, I hope this is one awesome script then.

Recently,  Sgt. Rock just celebrated his 50th year of "life." 

Will this film be worthwhile if it takes place in the future?

~ Mat Elfring (InferiorEgo) is a comedian, teacher, comic store employee, comic book writer, and herald of Galactus.~ 
    Avatar image for deactivated-62aa3e6022c4b
    deactivated-62aa3e6022c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I disapprove of this being set in the future. Though I've never really been that up on Sgt. Rock I have read the issues that my dad has from the 60-70s and I don't think the future setting is a good idea. Further more i would also recommend that everyone who reads this article does buy Band of Brothers

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Band of Brothers is the greatest.

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Chane

Erm.... pass.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheBug

I don't dig this, and the worst part is I have to tell my dad that hollywood is ruining one of his favorite comic book characters. 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

Eh...?  Does not compute. I think my brain just broke...

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Bad idea

swhorl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#7  Edited By swhorl

So they're not doing a Sgt. Rock movie... they're making a "future war" movie and slapping the Sgt. Rock characters in there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 2

Whoa wait their making a movie about him?

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By chalkshark

If the film is not set during World War II, then it's not a film about Sgt. Rock. That setting is absolutely intrinsic to the Sgt. Rock character. That era... that war... inform his personality, shape his character, & ultimely define who Sgt. Rock is. If you take that away, then you take away the character. The best example of this is the film Constantine. They took away the character's environment... London..., & his nationality... English. Cast against the character's physical appearance. Then played his personality as a dark, brooding anti-hero, very unlike the charming rogue from the source material. His best friend's personality was also completely changed. Oh, & they made him an action hero, wielding religious themed weapons. The character in the comics doesn't win by physically beating his enemies down. He wins through trickery & manipulation. Once you excise that much from the character, you're pretty much left with nothing. If this is the route they intend to take with Sgt. Rock, then what they're really doing is just cashing in on the name recognition. A dubious prospect, at best, considering that Sgt. Rock isn't particularly well known outside of it's fan base, a group I can't imagine embracing this bungling of the character's transition from comic book page to silver screen.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NightFang3

Now that idea don't make damn bit of sense.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Paracelsus

I agree- Sgt Rock in any post WWII conflict makes no sense(try imaging Easy Company in Korea, Nam, Iraq or Afghanistan!). 

Terry
    AxeBarbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AxeBarbarian

I am having some serious issues regarding this movie being set into the future.  That simply does not work for me.  I have been an avid fan of Sgt Rock since my boyhood days of the 60's.  I have had collected nearly all of, "Our Army at War, Sgt Rock and even G.I. Combat".  It would be a terrible shame to see him out of his element.   
    Sgt. Rock of Easy company made into a movie must be set in its original context.   
    I believe that if this was to go through, fans will be disappointed.  It will be doomed to failure.  If the directors are smart... they would leave this one alone until someone with any sense came along and really respected what this entire storyline was about.     
    AxeBarbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AxeBarbarian
    @chalkshark:
    You are so right on about this.  If they do this, I will not see it, but stick to the Sgt. Comics that I know. 
    the referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By the referee

Didn't they offer the role to Arnold Schwarzenegger years ago when he was in his prime

Quincey_Morris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they weren't going to do it right, it's best they didn't do it at all. Much as I'd love seeing a faithful film adaption the odds are against it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.