jonesdeini's Severed #3 - Part Three: It's a Jungle Out There review

Not By The Hair on My Chinny Chin Chin!

The Salesman moves in on his latest target, Jack.

The Good

Love, love, love, love this cover!!!

By this point we all out to know just how utterly wonderful Futaki's art is. But in case you're unaware, allow me to reiterate. THIS BOOK IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!

Snyder/Tuft do a great job writing Jack and Sam. It really is a rarity that somebody can write kids so spot on. And these two really feel like they're reflective of their time and place in America's history. I especially love the way that Sam's written. Snyder/Tuft use a familiar archetype for her but she's anything but a cookie cutter street urchin.

The atmosphere of this book really rivals that which is created in the best horror films. The art (specifically the coloring) and script have such a pure and potent synergy that I felt like I was being transported into the world of this comic as I read it.

Snyder and Tuft really get the kind of slow burn psychological horror that unnerves me. The Salesman truly is a great take on the classical big bad wolf of western myth. He's the worst kind of evil, the innocuous, patient, unassuming kind. The friendly, kindly stranger who lulls his pray into his lair then ravages them. Despite knowing what this guy is all about actually found myself as charmed by his demeanor as Jack was and even...liking the guy. That is truly disturbing on the most fundamental of levels.

The dialogue in this book has been topnotch from day one, but here it really does reach a magnificent new height. The Salesman's entire conversation with the kids in his room is filled with sinister double entendre. And his test of their friendship was incredibly intense and had me on the edge of my seat dreading to turn the page and see what came next.

The Bad

Waiting for the next issue

Severed is the horror comic I always wanted to read but didn't know it until I got my hands on it. I went into this book not really knowing what I was going to get and have consistently had my mind blown with each issue. I'm no expert on horror comics (outside of the classic Vertigo sense), but I do know what I like. And can firmly say that I've loved Severed on every level! Snyder, Tuft, and Futaki have given life to a great story that will keep you on the edge of your seat and wiping your brow. Now that the set ups done (and excellently so) I can't wait to see just where they take things in coming issue. All that being said, Severed #3 is a definite buy.

Posted by longbowhunter

I started buying this book on the pure assumption that it would be awesome because of Scott Snyder. And it is. Between this and Echoes, Image has really be cranking out some great horror. This story has some of the best character development I've read in quite some time.
Posted by JonesDeini

@longbowhunter:

I read the interviews that Snyder and Tuft gave on various sites and the premise hooked me. I still had no idea what to expect though. I too just assumed that Snyder would deliver the goods, and that's been the case. I still don't know much about Tuft besides this' his first comic work and I don't know how much heavy lifting he's doing but this quite a coming out party.

Posted by Geniusmonkey

Awesome review. Loving this book like a puppy. All kinds of vintage...intelligent narrative, thoughtful atmosphere and a slow burning, creakey hinged pace that smacks of getting (even more) unbearably tense at a later point. The art drips in emotional detail giving away things that the narrative only hints at. My book of the month. By a mile.

Posted by JonesDeini

@Geniusmonkey said:

You said it bro, this book really shows the unique power of the medium. All the strengths of prose and film but with non of the weaknesses.