wIll there be a "Sentry: Redemption" story arc

#1 Posted by Glabal500 (561 posts) - - Show Bio

i think its bountd to happen, like a small 4 issue comic, of the redemption of Sentry..... what do you think???
#2 Posted by JediXMan (27925 posts) - - Show Bio

Not for awhile. And considering how much he was hated.... yeah....

#3 Posted by Icarusflies (12246 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#4 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope...hope he stays dead.

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#6 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry did not have a lot of Support. Marvel felt they really needed a "Superman" so they made up some junk about a lost Character (Sentry). Fans did not respond well. And Sentry struggled to stay afloat, but in the end Marvel scrapped him.

#7 Posted by JediXMan (27925 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" Nope...hope he stays dead. "
He won't, but that'd be nice.
#8 Posted by JediXMan (27925 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" Sentry did not have a lot of Support. Marvel felt they really needed a "Superman" so they made up some junk about a lost Character (Sentry). Fans did not respond well. And Sentry struggled to stay afloat, but in the end Marvel scrapped him. "
Wasn't two Superman ripoffs enough? Marvel already had Gladiator and Hyperion.
#9 Posted by Xavier St. Cloud (1924 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @Primmaster64 said:
He won't, but that'd be nice."

It would be... but damn you are right.
#10 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @Caligula said:
" Sentry did not have a lot of Support. Marvel felt they really needed a "Superman" so they made up some junk about a lost Character (Sentry). Fans did not respond well. And Sentry struggled to stay afloat, but in the end Marvel scrapped him. "
Wasn't two Superman ripoffs enough? Marvel already had Gladiator and Hyperion. "
they needed one with a giant S
#11 Posted by SC (11952 posts) - - Show Bio

4 issues, nah, too short, too cheap, I'd prefer a really slow and well paced redemption arc, in a team book, where he actually wouldn't be a main character. More like a guest appearance character that a main character checks in on every few issues, to help him out. As this thread shows, writers need to do a lot to take the edge of his extreme polarization. 

#12 Posted by JediXMan (27925 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: 

Gotcha. 
#13 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xavier St. Cloud said:
" @JediXMan said:
" @Primmaster64 said:
It would be... but damn you are right. "
It would be awesome if he actually stays dead for a LONG time
#14 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @Caligula:    Gotcha.  "
:D 

I thought it was funny.

For what it's worth I actually liked his design. But his character and back story and the negative Stigma that surrounded his creation, turned me off too him.
#15 Posted by Xavier St. Cloud (1924 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @Xavier St. Cloud said:
" @JediXMan said:
" @Primmaster64 said:
It would be... but damn you are right. "
It would be awesome if he actually stays dead for a LONG time"

The crappy thing is... That when they do bring him back, they are going to try to do something drastic with him most likely... Like they haven't screwed the character up enough already.
#16 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by JediXMan (27925 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: 

Meh, he was okay. I never really cared for him.
#18 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @Caligula:   Meh, he was okay. I never really cared for him. "
me either. like i said, I liked his Design.
#19 Posted by JediXMan (27925 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: 

You mean the costume? That was okay. I dislike Superman's costume.
#20 Posted by Xavier St. Cloud (1924 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Sentry could have been an awsome character with the right touch... I like the look of him... I just hate everything else, and then there's the FANBOYS who really killed the character for me.
#21 Posted by SC (11952 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @Xavier St. Cloud: Woulden't it be great...if the Sentry 

"

IMNSHO It would be even greater if...  

#22 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @Caligula:   You mean the costume? That was okay. I dislike Superman's costume. "
yeah the Costume. I like Superman's though too. I'm very into the minimalist design costumes.
#23 Posted by Xavier St. Cloud (1924 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" @JediXMan said:
" @Caligula:   You mean the costume? That was okay. I dislike Superman's costume. "
yeah the Costume. I like Superman's though too. I'm very into the minimalist design costumes. "

I agree... Captain Marvel and Power Girl, I love there costumes, and they have very simple designs... If I was a Super Hero, I would go that way with my costume.
#24 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xavier St. Cloud said:
" @Caligula said:
" @JediXMan said:
yeah the Costume. I like Superman's though too. I'm very into the minimalist design costumes. "
I agree... Captain Marvel and Power Girl, I love there costumes, and they have very simple designs... If I was a Super Hero, I would go that way with my costume. "
same here
#25 Posted by JediXMan (27925 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" yeah the Costume. I like Superman's though too. I'm very into the minimalist design costumes. "
I get what you mean. I just don't like bright colors and underwear outside of the pants.
#26 Posted by Xavier St. Cloud (1924 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @Caligula said:
" yeah the Costume. I like Superman's though too. I'm very into the minimalist design costumes. "
I get what you mean. I just don't like bright colors and underwear outside of the pants."

I do... I like the thought of it, as well... Nothing quite says ha ha... Like you just got you're ass handed to you, by a guy who wears his underwear on the outside.    :  )     But then again I am a bit of a freak. 
#27 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @Caligula said:
I get what you mean. I just don't like bright colors and underwear outside of the pants. "
Yeah when you think about it the Underwear on the outside is kind of strange. But I have been reading comics since I was 6 or so, and I've grown so accustomed to it, that I never think about it until someone says something. Then I'm like yeah, it is weird. But it's tradition at this point.
#28 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said: 

"
I would really love that. Like, really. Sentry was a character with a great concept, the kid who was horribly flawed but wanted to make good on his mistakes, a kid who used to be a druggie but wanted to make himself into something worth being and looking up to. He had a great look. He had potential. But there weren't any writers who cared enough to make him into a decent character. That is what really disgusts me.  

To make good work, you have to love a character. And frankly, no one really took care of the Sentry the way a character like that needs to be taken care of, they didn't give him a real purpose. Thor, he's got Asgard and he's got Midgard and Jane Foster. Iron Man, his tech. Captain america, it's self explanatory. 
#29 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
@TypingKira said:
" @SC said: 

A writer came a long and made a wildly unpopular character who actually had some selling power and some fans, and some creative and interesting characteristics, and then made that character really interesting and popular to a larger audience, whilst making people who hated him, maybe hate him less, so much less, that they might like him. Plus yeah, I know its unlikely and one could wish for Captain America and Iron Man and Thor to become Marvels greatest villains ever... but still. 
"
I would really love that. Like, really. Sentry was a character with a great concept, the kid who was horribly flawed but wanted to make good on his mistakes, a kid who used to be a druggie but wanted to make himself into something worth being and looking up to. He had a great look. He had potential. But there weren't any writers who cared enough to make him into a decent character. That is what really disgusts me.   To make good work, you have to love a character. And frankly, no one really took care of the Sentry the way a character like that needs to be taken care of, they didn't give him a real purpose. Thor, he's got Asgard and he's got Midgard and Jane Foster. Iron Man, his tech. Captain america, it's self explanatory.  "

Well... this.
#30 Posted by Glabal500 (561 posts) - - Show Bio

well i do hope there is a "redemption" arc.... 

i mean everyone hated tony, after civil war.. now he is back where he was before the war.. 

i like sentry, i think he is an interesting character, and i think if he gets a good writer he can shine... 

i hope there is one...

#31 Posted by Z3RO180 (5943 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan:
how was the sentry hated by fan? 

noted all i no about the sentry is what i have raed in seiege and on comicvine.
#32 Edited by Joe_Amazing (103 posts) - - Show Bio

People hated the Sentry because of the heavy-handed way he was shoe-horned into the Marvel continuity.  That, he'd always been there and that in order to protect the world from the Void (actually his own druggie self), he made the world forget his existence.  Then when he returned, he was filled with so much self doubt, he was totally ineffective.  Which of course lead to him falling under the sway of Norman Osborn and the releasing of the Void; who nearly killed everyone (and killed Ares).  Thankfully, this poor man's Superman knock-off has been sent to the comic book afterlife, hopefully never to been seen again.  If the execs at Marvel has any brains, they need to draw up a legally binding contract that will forever prevent the Sentry's return; like what was done on the Simpson's with the infamous Poochie.

#33 Posted by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the Sentry! *Gets behind flame shield* 

but he wont be back any time to soon
#34 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's see, the Sentry was a phenomenal character before Bendis and Pak ****ed with him. It would be a terrific idea to bring him back by a competent writer. 

So there's no chance in Hell it will happen.

#35 Posted by RoninTheFury (377 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xavier St. Cloud: @Xavier St. Cloud said:
" I think Sentry could have been an awsome character with the right touch... I like the look of him... I just hate everything else, and then there's the FANBOYS who really killed the character for me. "
Where do you think they went wrong with him? I ask because i agree with what you said, but that whole mental disorder of his, "void this and void that", really bugged me, as well as him being killed and/or trying to kill himself only to keep coming back over and over was also bothersome. i am a little embarrassed to admit i do not know what a "fanboy" is though.
#36 Posted by Xavier St. Cloud (1924 posts) - - Show Bio
@RoninTheFury said:
" @Xavier St. Cloud: @Xavier St. Cloud said:
" I think Sentry could have been an awsome character with the right touch... I like the look of him... I just hate everything else, and then there's the FANBOYS who really killed the character for me. "
Where do you think they went wrong with him? I ask because i agree with what you said, but that whole mental disorder of his, "void this and void that", really bugged me, as well as him being killed and/or trying to kill himself only to keep coming back over and over was also bothersome. i am a little embarrassed to admit i do not know what a "fanboy" is though. "

Void was his downfall. Sentry the character has promise... He is something the Marvel Universe does not have a great deal of. I liked him better when he had a beard. A Fanboy is someone who loves a character so much, he cannot see that there is flaws, or that the character is not perfect. For example anyone who thinks Sentry could defeat Galactus is a Fanboy. But what really makes them a fanoy is when deep down inside they know they are wrong, but they argue on the behalf of the character anyways because they love the character so much.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.