Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

What's wrong with him?

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hadrelius

I'm a little confused and have a theory to why. In the latest Dark Avengers, Sentry ripped LeFey's head off then asked if what he did was a good or bad thing. He seemed almost child like. Why wouldn't he know that killing was wrong? My theory is that it is the Void. During the Secret Invasion, it was the Void that returned to earth. Could it be that the Void is trying to replace him?

Any ideas for anyone else that cares?

I know most wish he would just disappear.

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Precise

I don't know a lot about the void, but isn't or wasn't he pure evil? basically killing everything in his path and really powerful? How would Osbourn have gained control over him?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By John Valentine

I reckon that the DA Sentry is the middleground between the Sentry and the Void.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hadrelius
    Precise said:
    "I don't know a lot about the void, but isn't or wasn't he pure evil? basically killing everything in his path and really powerful? How would Osbourn have gained control over him?
    "
    When he returned as the Void in Secret Invasion, he was different. He seemed to care about Sentry's wife and told her everything as going to be ok. And he lokked like the Sentry, just in black form.
    Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alpha said:
    "I'm a little confused and have a theory to why. In the latest Dark Avengers, Sentry ripped LeFey's head off then asked if what he did was a good or bad thing. He seemed almost child like. Why wouldn't he know that killing was wrong? My theory is that it is the Void. During the Secret Invasion, it was the Void that returned to earth. Could it be that the Void is trying to replace him?

I know most wish he would just disappear. "

U r right, it was the Void that returned and he seemed changed. But as far as Sentry killing, he had no problem with it before, but it was kinda out of character for him to be that harsh to a women.

You may be on to something there.
    The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The Scientist
    Alpha said:
    "I'm a little confused and have a theory to why. In the latest Dark Avengers, Sentry ripped LeFey's head off then asked if what he did was a good or bad thing. He seemed almost child like. Why wouldn't he know that killing was wrong? My theory is that it is the Void. During the Secret Invasion, it was the Void that returned to earth. Could it be that the Void is trying to replace him?

I know most wish he would just disappear. "
    No, Sentry's mind in fact still is "child like" due to his mental instability, ergo, perfect tool for tony stark to use (now osborn).
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AtPhantom

Sentry took after silver age Superman and acquired the power of having any mental disability the plot needs you to have.

I don't think Marvel really has a consensus about what's wrong with him. First it was schizophrenia, then it was multiple personality disorder, then During WWH it was agoraphobia.... for some reason, now he seems to have a misplaced sense of right and wrong...

I like Alpha's idea on that's it's actually Void, and it would explain a lot of things, but personally, I think it's just a case of writers thinking that just because he's crazy, they can get away with anything.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By King_Saturn
    He's a Damn Fool... thats whats wrong with him  !

jk jk jk
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Korg

Last remaining Super-Skrull (I wish).

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I doubt that current Sentry is the Void acting as Sentry.The Void is not that good at disguising himself and the glowing aura would kill him.The Void draws his power from the darkness.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hadrelius
    Vance Astro said:
    "I doubt that current Sentry is the Void acting as Sentry.The Void is not that good at disguising himself and the glowing aura would kill him.The Void draws his power from the darkness."
    But again remember the last time he was seen in the Secret Invasion. It was the Void that returned to his wife saying everything will be ok, I'm here now. He looked just like the Sentry accept for the color.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Alpha said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "I doubt that current Sentry is the Void acting as Sentry.The Void is not that good at disguising himself and the glowing aura would kill him.The Void draws his power from the darkness."
    But again remember the last time he was seen in the Secret Invasion. It was the Void that returned to his wife saying everything will be ok, I'm here now. He looked just like the Sentry accept for the color.
    "
    Yea exactly..that's why she was scared..because of the color.The Void can possibly maintain the look of the Sentry but he can't pull of the glowing aura.That would kill his powers.Unless Sentry is making up powers again like when he brought his wife back from the dead or when he teleported.
    Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hadrelius
    Vance Astro said:
    "Alpha said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "
    Yea exactly..that's why she was scared..because of the color.The Void can possibly maintain the look of the Sentry but he can't pull of the glowing aura.That would kill his powers.Unless Sentry is making up powers again like when he brought his wife back from the dead or when he teleported.
    "
    You may be right but I don't see him glowing so far in Dark Avengers
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CosmicSpiral

Well if he actually died then he was pretty much a useless character. I don't really believe that he did though. His molecules are shifted an instant ahead of the time-line, so is there really a way to completely kill him? I don't see the Void using craft to get himself into a favorable position. If the Void could take on all those heroes without a scratch, then I think it could easily attack Earth. Especially since the Dark Avengers cannot fight very well as a team.

I do expect the Void to reappear and battle Morgan. In this situation the darkness would only feed his power, plus his fear-inducing powers would prevent her from returning to the past to survive. It would be a fight merely out of survival/dominance. 

Apparently he now judges good and evil by whether it's approved or not. It's far better than being shit-scared of doing anything. 

/longrant
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Alpha said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Alpha said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "
    "
    You may be right but I don't see him glowing so far in Dark Avengers
    "
    If you read Dark Avengers #2 it just confirms my suspicions.When he rips Morgana Le Fey's head off he asked if it was good or bad.If that isn't a Sentry question I don't know what is.
    BIackFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BIackFlash
    @Alpha said:
    "But again remember the last time he was seen in the Secret Invasion. It was the Void that returned to his wife saying everything will be ok, I'm here now. He looked just like the Sentry accept for the color. "
    Anyway Bendis flushed the story with his wife down the toilet

There seems to be nothing left now, either Thor hardens up and gets rid of Sentry, or all the heroes join up to get rid of the Sentry/Void

Or Sentry shakes off his dark Void side, confronts it and lives happily ever after

I think we know what's up with the guy now but his powers were nevere fully explained. Too bad Bendis couldn't have done a better job with the writing

Lyrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lyrad

I think what MArvel have done with the Sentry is brilliant.  His powers are never fully explained, his disorders are never fully explained, his child like persona then his dedicated relationship to Lindy is never fully explored.   Marvel have and are teasing us with his character because we honestly don't know what the deal is with him. We have no idea how he is going to be dealt with, or stopped for what he has done.  It's up in the air with him. His character has created hate and love from Marvel fans, to a point where we all argue in forums as to what his deal is. 

They created a character that we all discuss, his popularity weather it is hate or love is getting bigger.  Marvel have us where they want us..... And thats a genuine "what is going on with him?"  They have created an intriguing mystery around Sentry and again, love or hate, we are all interested to find out whats going to happen. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.