Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

The Sentry

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hadrelius

I'm a big Superman fan and I enjoy other created characters homage to him (Gladiator/Hyperion) but like others (Majestic/Supreme)I don't see a real connection other basic powers (Strength/Flight/Invulnerability). Why is he constantly called Marvel's Superman?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Maybe as he continues to grow as a character, he'll shed that label. On the surface he is, I mean the build, the costume (cape and tights) the strength, speed, flight, invulnerability. But like most Superman type characters, upon closer review he's really nothing like Superman.

Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without spoiling it for others
    The recent Dark Avengers made it clear that he has nothing in common with Superman
    other than being strong and flying (which covers most characters0
    He is getting interesting

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Alpha said:
    I'm a big Superman fan and I enjoy other created characters homage to him (Gladiator/Hyperion) but like others (Majestic/Supreme)I don't see a real connection other basic powers (Strength/Flight/Invulnerability). Why is he constantly called Marvel's Superman?
    He's clearly based on Superman.
    Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hadrelius
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Alpha said:
    He's clearly based on Superman. "
    Yes, but not to be limited to just being a Superman clone. he has enough difference to stand on his own. Like Gladiator but unlike Hyperion. 

@StrongestOneThereIs said:
    " Without spoiling it for others The recent Dark Avengers made it clear that he has nothing in common with Superman other than being strong and flying (which covers most characters0 He is getting interesting "

Your are right. Just read it. People are going to need to start respecting his power now. I can't wait to talk about it because I read in the Marvel Encyclopedia how his power are and what he did would fit right tin there.
    Knox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Knox

Sentry is Marvel' attempt at a Superman

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hadrelius
    @Knox said:
    " Sentry is Marvel' attempt at a Superman "
    Hyperion is. Gladiator and Sentry are inspired by him (like Majestic and Supreme) but they are their own characters. Very different is how there powers work and what they are all together.
    Lyrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lyrad
    @Alpha said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Alpha said:
    He's clearly based on Superman. "
    Yes, but not to be limited to just being a Superman clone. he has enough difference to stand on his own. Like Gladiator but unlike Hyperion. 

@StrongestOneThereIs said:
    " Without spoiling it for others The recent Dark Avengers made it clear that he has nothing in common with Superman other than being strong and flying (which covers most characters0 He is getting interesting "
    Your are right. Just read it. People are going to need to start respecting his power now. I can't wait to talk about it because I read in the Marvel Encyclopedia how his power are and what he did would fit right tin there. "

Ahhhh, see I'm glad people are starting to likeThe Sentry, I've always liked him despite his inconsistances and everyone else hating him. Yeah, he has some traits that make people hate him, but in regards to Marvel characters and how long they have been around, he is still a baby, he is brand new and is still developing. I say stop moaning about him and his Superman likeness and instead, just look at the things that make him totally different.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Alpha said:
    " @Knox said:
    Hyperion is. Gladiator and Sentry are inspired by him (like Majestic and Supreme) but they are their own characters. Very different is how there powers work and what they are all together. "
    Sentry is more like Supes than Hyperion and Gladiator.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AtPhantom

This is ridiculous. You want people to Respect Sentry? Marvel doesn't respect Sentry. How the hell is anyone else supposed to like him?

King Hercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By King Hercules
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Alpha said:
    " @Knox said:
    Hyperion is. Gladiator and Sentry are inspired by him (like Majestic and Supreme) but they are their own characters. Very different is how there powers work and what they are all together. "
    Sentry is more like Supes than Hyperion and Gladiator. "
    In what way? 

@AtPhantom said:
    " This is ridiculous. You want people to Respect Sentry? Marvel doesn't respect Sentry. How the hell is anyone else supposed to like him? "

They are starting to define the character and he is turning out to be a very powerful player.
    Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Citizen 14
    @StrongestOneThereIs: I agree. I'm starting to enjoy him when I started out hating him.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AtPhantom
    @King Hercules said:
    " They are starting to define the character and he is turning out to be a very powerful player. "
    No they're not. They're doing the same thing they've been doing since New Avengers: Messing him up. He was defined as a powerful player in his very first appearance, and everything they've done with him since is casting a pretty huge shadow on that definition.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @King Hercules said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Alpha said:
    " @Knox said:
    In what way? 

His whole demeanor,his style..it's all Superman based.His costume,his sense of responsibility,his powers,ect.It's all Superman based.All they did with Hyperion and Gladiator if give them Superman's powers and a similar costume setup and everything else is completely random (save for Gladiator's name being Kallark "Clark")
    Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Citizen 14
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @King Hercules said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Alpha said:
    " @Knox said:
    In what way? 

His whole demeanor,his style..it's all Superman based.His costume,his sense of responsibility,his powers,ect.It's all Superman based.All they did with Hyperion and Gladiator if give them Superman's powers and a similar costume setup and everything else is completely random (save for Gladiator's name being Kallark "Clark") "
    Read the new 'Dark Avengers". Sentry has more powers than I think you may know of and powers that Superman certainly does not.
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tensor

sentry is a marvel superman are u kidding the s on his chest his powers are solar related even the way they write him if u read jla an then red avengers u can see the rip off call him the big gun an 2 call him the most powerful person on the planet is like in dc were they always keep a close eye on superman cause of his power  long story short marvel wont admit but it is a superman rip off  they might mix an match his powers to hide the main facts an good comic reader can see this who read dc an marvel

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tensor

oh an before i forget who holds back on the power just like superman answer sentry who cannot see this is blind

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Citizen 14 said:
    Read the new 'Dark Avengers". Sentry has more powers than I think you may know of and powers that Superman certainly does not. "
    I would read the comic if I can find it.I'm aware that Sentry ALREADY has powers that superman doesn't but his first official set of powers that he was shown with are exactly what Superman's are.He also gets his strength and power from the sun to begin with correct? I didn't read the comic.Apparently they were supposed to explain Sentry's powers but I didn't read the comic so their could be retcons..I don't know,I didn't read it.Either way.No matter what powers they add to Sentry he was already based on Sentry to begin with,they are just adding to mask it.
    Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Citizen 14
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Citizen 14 said:
    Read the new 'Dark Avengers". Sentry has more powers than I think you may know of and powers that Superman certainly does not. "
    I would read the comic if I can find it.I'm aware that Sentry ALREADY has powers that superman doesn't but his first official set of powers that he was shown with are exactly what Superman's are.He also gets his strength and power from the sun to begin with correct? I didn't read the comic.Apparently they were supposed to explain Sentry's powers but I didn't read the comic so their could be retcons..I don't know,I didn't read it.Either way.No matter what powers they add to Sentry he was already based on Sentry to begin with,they are just adding to mask it. "
    yes. correct. though I think he might be getting away from that and just having his powers all the time.
    BillyButcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BillyButcher

To me, Sentry is Marvel's critique of/homage to Superman and sometimes I think Marvel is even poking a little good-natured fun at Superman through the Sentry.

I'm mostly a Marvel fan but I picked up a few of G.Morrison's JLA trades a few weeks ago and have noticed a common element in many of the stories is that while the rest of the League is desperately fighting the villain(s) during the heart of the story Superman has usually been removed from the battle early on for various reasons (plot devices).  He's either held prisoner with Kryptonite,  someone temporarily sucks the yellow solar energy from his cells, psionically/magically disables him,  etc etc.  I seem to recall one where the stated reason he couldn't help the rest of the JLA in a desperate battle was because he wanted to stay at the Watchtower and monitor the global situation due to several crises developing at the same time.... because you always want the most powerful guy on the planet manning the phones and watching CNN  on the moon when the world is falling apart, I guess. There almost always seems to be a reason he can't go 100% until the story is almost finished because he is so powerful that once he turns his full attention to the problem at hand he can take care of it himself in about 5 panels.  "Oh,  I just had to hit the villain a little harder than I did in the previous issue. I should have thought of that before all those people got killed. Oops!"  (I realize this is true to some extent in all superhero comics and I don't mention this as a sign of disrespect for Supes/JLA/DC  but I had not read much JLA so I found it interesting and a little amusing.)

The key difference between the two is the Sentry is his own self-defeating plot device by virtue of being a complete headcase.  You never know which Sentry is going to show up:  the Sentry that can bitchslap a Herald of Galactus, the one who swiftly flies Carnage into space and rips him in half or the one who runs away from an easy fight because a shadow across the street kinda reminds him of the Void. Or maybe he just stays home to take bong rips and watch Simpsons reruns instead of destroying a Skrull invasion fleet because he felt  'the sky was just too big to go outside today'.   I like the Sentry,  but they have been doing this stuff for way too long without having some sort of Major Advancement in his personal story.  (One of the reasons I like Dark Avengers so much is that we are finally getting many hints that something Big is going to be revealed or happen to the Sentry character at some point in this title.  Hopefully this amounts to more than just the repetitive, unexplained reincarnations that we have seen so far.) 
    Avatar image for the_human_juggernaut
    the human Juggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:
    " @King Hercules said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Alpha said:
    " @Knox said:
    In what way? 

His whole demeanor,his style..it's all Superman based.His costume,his sense of responsibility,his powers,ect.It's all Superman based.All they did with Hyperion and Gladiator if give them Superman's powers and a similar costume setup and everything else is completely random (save for Gladiator's name being Kallark "Clark") "

gladiator happens to be the last son of his dead race, and has a female cousin that lives.  That's not like superman?
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Citizen 14 said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Citizen 14 said:
    I would read the comic if I can find it.I'm aware that Sentry ALREADY has powers that superman doesn't but his first official set of powers that he was shown with are exactly what Superman's are.He also gets his strength and power from the sun to begin with correct? I didn't read the comic.Apparently they were supposed to explain Sentry's powers but I didn't read the comic so their could be retcons..I don't know,I didn't read it.Either way.No matter what powers they add to Sentry he was already based on Sentry to begin with,they are just adding to mask it. "
    yes. correct. though I think he might be getting away from that and just having his powers all the time. "
    Yep
    I think flight, s and strength will be still his thing
    But he will be more like the Surfer
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By joshmightbe

there are hundreds of superman ripoffs in comics, some on purpose to either cash in or spoof some just cause the writer either lacked creativity or were just trying to get something out on time. superman is probably the most ripped off character in comics history it might as well be its own class of heros. sentry did start out as a simple supes ripoff but power isnt everything his personality is alot different than supermans and of course theres the whole thing where his nemisis is actually him
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:
    " there are hundreds of superman ripoffs in comics, some on purpose to either cash in or spoof some just cause the writer either lacked creativity or were just trying to get something out on time. superman is probably the most ripped off character in comics history it might as well be its own class of heros. sentry did start out as a simple supes ripoff but power isnt everything his personality is alot different than supermans and of course theres the whole thing where his nemisis is actually him "
    To go even further, Superman is a rip off himself. 
    The core idea for the original Superman is taken from Hercules
    So the others are rip offs of a rip off
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By EdwardWindsor

only half of sentry is anything like superman the void side of his personality  is unique, dont see supes doing any of the shit the void does. there like 30% simular tops

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By joshmightbe
    @StrongestOneThereIs:
    technically speaking all fictional heros super or other wise derive from the same basic myth according to the book hero with a thousand faces
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who flys
    Have super strength and invulnerability
    And wears a cape (or not)
    Is said to be a rip off
    And maybe they are and maybe they are paying homage
    Or maybe those things are core powers in comics
    Is Marvel's Thor a rip off cause they put a red cape on him and made him able to fly?

StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:
    " @StrongestOneThereIs: technically speaking all fictional heros super or other wise derive from the same basic myth according to the book hero with a thousand faces "
    yes indeedy

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By joshmightbe
    @StrongestOneThereIs:
    well thor was based mostly on his mytholgical counter part so he technically came first just not in the comics
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:
    " @StrongestOneThereIs: well thor was based mostly on his mytholgical counter part so he technically came first just not in the comics "
    That's why I said Marvel's Thor
    Who has some of the base myth elements
    But so much more was added to make him different and unique as a Marvel superhero
    Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hadrelius

The latest Dark Avengers comic has done nothing but confused me. What is with the Galactus reference?
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Alpha said:
    " The latest Dark Avengers comic has done nothing but confused me. What is with the Galactus reference? "
    Probably just a joke.
    Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hadrelius
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @Alpha said:
    " The latest Dark Avengers comic has done nothing but confused me. What is with the Galactus reference? "
    Probably just a joke. "

Hope so. And then there is the God ref.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DEGRAAF

well she kept coming to assumptions so i think he was going along with it saying he was galactus. I kinda want him to be honestly. I think that would be cool.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Alpha said:

go back and read comics where the Void comes out of him.It will all be clear to you then. 

(Sentry nor the Void are actually Galactus)
    Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hadrelius
    @Vance Astro said:

" @Alpha said:

go back and read comics where the Void comes out of him.It will all be clear to you then.  (Sentry nor the Void are actually Galactus) "

I know it's the Void and the Void seems to be the power behind the Sentry, but what or who the Void is seems to be the mystery. And He stated he was Galactus when she didn't make a connection to Galactus. And then the God ref in the beginning and the end made it even more an issue. What was clear to you? 

It's clear that the Void is some powerful entity that has always been in controlled partnership with Bob. 
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Alpha said:
    " @Vance Astro said:

" @Alpha said:

go back and read comics where the Void comes out of him.It will all be clear to you then.  (Sentry nor the Void are actually Galactus) "
     I know it's the Void and the Void seems to be the power behind the Sentry, but what or who the Void is seems to be the mystery. And He stated he was Galactus when she didn't make a connection to Galactus. And then the God ref in the beginning and the end made it even more an issue. What was clear to you?   It's clear that the Void is some powerful entity that has always been in controlled partnership with Bob.  "
    There is no conceivable way Sentry can be Galactus.His origin is actually more one-dimensional than people make it out to be.The Void can be whatever it wants when it wants to scare people.The Galactus comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By speedlgt

the problem is that marvel character are sooooooo weak in power that having a superman means the other heroes are pointless or you have said superman do nothing to make the others important. 

really sentry could have done the following....... 
    stop the civil war or win the dam thing himself for iron man 
    won the whole skrull war alone 
    taken out all the dark avengers and kill osborn alone 
    figured out or known that cap was not really dead 

so by my count he could have ended 4 marvel events without help and without a effort 
    now we cant have that right..............so he just stands around and does nothing 

the real superman would have done all those things this guy needs to just die or marvel should figure out how to write him
    Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hadrelius
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Alpha said:
    " @Vance Astro said:

" @Alpha said:

I know it's the Void and the Void seems to be the power behind the Sentry, but what or who the Void is seems to be the mystery. And He stated he was Galactus when she didn't make a connection to Galactus. And then the God ref in the beginning and the end made it even more an issue. What was clear to you?   It's clear that the Void is some powerful entity that has always been in controlled partnership with Bob.  "
    There is no conceivable way Sentry can be Galactus.His origin is actually more one-dimensional than people make it out to be.The Void can be whatever it wants when it wants to scare people.The Galactus comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously. "
    I see what your saying
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Alpha said:

"And then the God ref in the beginning and the end made it even more an issue."

Yeah, apparently, not content with him being a Superman rip off, they had to make him an Eclipso rip off too.
    Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hadrelius
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @Alpha said:

"And then the God ref in the beginning and the end made it even more an issue."

Yeah, apparently, not content with him being a Superman rip off, they had to make him an Eclipso rip off too. "
    I see your connection

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.