So he's suppoed to be marvel's Superman, but.....

• 56 results
#1 Edited by Bullseye1930 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone really like the character? I can't stand him and can't wait untill he's gone. So he's pretty much invinunerable and nobody can stop him. Superman stories were like this once upon a time and you know what they were? Boring. "Oh shoot! it's a bad guy!" In comes Sentry/Superman, and the bad guy is taken care of. WTF? There's no element of danger for the charater, and he's going to win everytime. Then inbetween beating bad guys he's going to get new powers that make him even more cheap. Like I said before, boring. And then he's constantly crying about if people like him or make fun of him. So now he's boring and annoying. Why is Marvel pushing him down our throats? He's pointless and not very entertaining. Unless he's gone soon and permanent like or at least toned down i'm going to drop a few marvel titles and just go back to reading Daredevil.  I think the problem is that writers think their job is to "evoke strong emotions in their readers." I think their job is to write something we want to read, but that's just me.

#2 Posted by thetitan0 (846 posts) - - Show Bio

i like him. and while he is getting more powerful he still can't move planets (like superman)

#3 Posted by Ms. Omega (4470 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see him done away with my self i would actually like to see Blue Marvel take his place

#4 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

Hyperion is marvel's superman

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

I completley agree with the original point. It's why I've always disliked Superman. And Sentry TRIES to be interesting, but just comes off as irritating and laughable. Remember how he flew into space like a whiny girl during Secret Invasion because of ONE lousy hallucination? He's surrounded by shapeshifters and the thought of "This might be a trick!" doesn't occur to him?! Lame. That and Bendis insists on resolving Sentry's plot threads so late that no one cares anymore. Remember how we JUST got an explanation for Void's appearance in Secret Invasion (The REAL void, not the skrull, it was in a tie-in). And how we JUST found how why Sentry's face being blown off did nothing? Lame.
#6 Posted by thetitan0 (846 posts) - - Show Bio

and why make a thread just to hate on a character.

#7 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say wait till after Siege and see if they kill him off after Siege. If not, just avoid major crossovers and the Avengers(we know if he survives he will end up there again). I believe him and Norman both are going to die at the end of Siege. I hope Phobos rips Sentry to shreds. 

#8 Posted by thetitan0 (846 posts) - - Show Bio
@crimsonspider89 said:
" I would say wait till after Siege and see if they kill him off after Siege. If not, just avoid major crossovers and the Avengers(we know if he survives he will end up there again). I believe him and Norman both are going to die at the end of Siege. I hope Phobos rips Sentry to shreds.  "
you really think he's going to die? i got a feeling form the last dark avengers that he was going to overcome the void (or who ever is controlling him), turn on norman, and become the poster boy for the heroic age.
#9 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio
@thetitan0:  I hope not. With the way things have been going on, the only way I could see Siege ending with the heroes being successful is for the Sentry to die. If he does not die, I may switch over to DC or just stick to non Sentry involved storylines. Especially if he is on the Avengers. I will be stuck reading X-Men and other non Sentry involved storylines. I believe majority of readers agree with me on this. We are tired of the Sentry and I think that the perfect ending for Siege is for Sentry and Norman to die. 
#10 Posted by rightprice (331 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
"I completley agree with the original point. It's why I've always disliked Superman. And Sentry TRIES to be interesting, but just comes off as irritating and laughable. Remember how he flew into space like a whiny girl during Secret Invasion because of ONE lousy hallucination? He's surrounded by shapeshifters and the thought of "This might be a trick!" doesn't occur to him?! Lame. That and Bendis insists on resolving Sentry's plot threads so late that no one cares anymore. Remember how we JUST got an explanation for Void's appearance in Secret Invasion (The REAL void, not the skrull, it was in a tie-in). And how we JUST found how why Sentry's face being blown off did nothing? Lame. "

What was the explanation for Void's appearance in Secret Invasion?  I wasn't aware of the tie-in you mentioned. 
#11 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@thetitan0 said:
" and why make a thread just to hate on a character. "
what other reason is there to make a thread? :O
#12 Posted by Myth2009 (77 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the guy but he's a hell of a lot more interesting than superman.  I hope he doesn't become like Superman either--the poster boy of a heroic age. 

#13 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

i like every character. they all have potential to be a great character. its all in who's writing them and how.
i liked how Sentry was written alot more before. currently is a little weird. theres not alot of pacing with him anymore,
its big bang every time i see him. a little consistency and being a little more drawn out wouldnt hurt.

#14 Posted by lennyoks (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated him before but now i love him. he has become a great plot device. i mean having an overpowered good guy is  boring but an overpowered baddie is just great. Seriously guys stop whining just coz you think you should. Bendis made the character  worth something i personally can't wait to see how the good guys get outta this. n who or what is gona take down the sentry. I'll hate bendis if he uses telepathy!!!

#15 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

he's a crack addict powered by <insert whatever powers him here> who ripped an olypian god in half like paper, before i would have hated that but NOW HE'S A CRACK ADDICT POWERED BY <INSERT WHATEVER POWERS HIM HERE>!

#16 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree mostly wih CATMANEXE.

Sentry isn'yt that baad, it can even be very good, but he suffer from bad writing, inconsistent plot or madness, there's nothing for the reader to grip on him and that really make sense. So in the end, it sucks, and sometimes, it sucks baaadly.

#17 Posted by weather witch (3188 posts) - - Show Bio

WATS UP!!!!

#18 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm Marvel's Superman

#19 Posted by The Sadhu (853 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry sucks, Marvel needs to get rid of him! Blue Marvel can easily take over as Marvel Comics Superman!
#20 Posted by StrongestOneThereIs (6490 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him as well.
I think after al lthis
We will see him re-invented into something great

#21 Posted by Bor (734 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Sentry is waaaaaaaaay more interesting than Superman who is just incredibly boring and so.....annyoing with his style^^.

Ofcourse i absolutly respect that there are maaany fans of Superman and so them.

But imo Superman is soo stupid and pathetic hero.

#22 Posted by darkningdawn (76 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have either used more of Gladiator,the original representation of superman in the marvel universe,or the Blue Marvel a character with an awsum look that adds still needed divercity to marvel.
#23 Posted by StrongestOneThereIs (6490 posts) - - Show Bio
@darkningdawn said:
" They should have either used more of Gladiator,the original representation of superman in the marvel universe,or the Blue Marvel a character with an awsum look that adds still needed divercity to marvel. "
Who came first
Hyperion or Gladiator
Because I think Hyperion is more of a Superman representation
#24 Posted by Sherlock (7258 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah he is kinda whiny "Only using kinda to be nice"But he does have potential i liked the whole split personality type thingy but the messed that up too....NM just drop him and start from scratch

#25 Posted by darkningdawn (76 posts) - - Show Bio
@StrongestOneThereIs said:
" @darkningdawn said:
" They should have either used more of Gladiator,the original representation of superman in the marvel universe,or the Blue Marvel a character with an awsum look that adds still needed divercity to marvel. "
Who came first Hyperion or Gladiator Because I think Hyperion is more of a Superman representation"

I guess your right I didn't know who Hyperion was but apparantly he's 8years older however I still prefere either gladiator,or the blue marvel over him.
#26 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

i actually can't get enough of the sentry and  the void !!!!

#27 Posted by Sherlock (7258 posts) - - Show Bio

I still think they could have done it better and im kinda sore because Sentry and Void ruined my first comicbook idea

#28 Posted by Red_Blade (2441 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bor said:
" I think that Sentry is waaaaaaaaay more interesting than Superman who is just incredibly boring and so.....annyoing with his style^^.

Ofcourse i absolutly respect that there are maaany fans of Superman and so them.  But imo Superman is soo stupid and pathetic hero. "
Yes, because a carbon copy schizo who jumps at the sight of his own shadow and cries about how much his life sucks is such an interesting hero

You can like whoever you like, but Sentry in general is a pretty bad character
#29 Edited by Bor (734 posts) - - Show Bio
@Red_Blade:  

Hehe you know why i like him ? Coze i study psychiaty and he is interesting case.
#30 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4806 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like him... a Schizophrenic Junkie... with Superman Powers... Doode... that jus sounds like a Good Read... and it has been for me at least... i dunno why everyone hates on him... maybe cuz i think of him as a Character with serious issues while everyone else sees him as a Fictional character thats being made into a "pity party"... In other words... they're looking at the character outside the box... 

#31 Posted by Quentin_Beck (23 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but ... 

I despise Sentry for several reasons.  First and foremost, I hate any character who has essentially limitless power.  Unstoppable characters are boring and make for awful stories.  It doesn't matter if they're good or evil (or whatever the heck Sentry is ... I'm not really sure).   

Secondly, he just ripped one of my favorite characters in two.  Ares is/was perhaps the only super-powered super-hero (with the exception of a couple X-Men) that I actually like.  Usually I only like heroes like Batman, Iron Man, or Black Widow, but Ares had a special place in my heart. 

My third issue is that he appears way too often, especially for a deus ex machina.  These kinds of characters should only EVER be used as a last ditch effort by hero or villain alike.  Sentry's popping up almost as often as Wolverine. 

Fourth problem is that the guy is an angst-ridden milksop.  All he does is cry, fly off, beat sombody up, and cry some more.  Seriously, if any sentient being (which, I suppose, rules out Sentry) got unimaginable power, they wouldn't curl up in the fetal position and cry themselves to sleep every night.

Fifth he's kind of a one (or two) trick pony.  Big shiny guy flies in.  Big shiny guy throws something into sun.  Big shiny guy flies in.  Big shiny guy rips something in half (crying the entire time, of course).

Finally, when he enters the picture, the story gets thrown out the window.  He's a speeding freight train that just kinda smashes into a comic, breaks everything, screws everything up, and speeds off.  There's no sense to anything that goes on when he appears, there's no rules, and there's no point.  And don't you dare give me any excuse about him being "mentally unstable".  Bor ain't the only psych. major on these boards, and the Sentry that I see doesn't resemble any mental illness I've heard of.  It's not D.I.D. and it's not schizophrenia.  Maybe a mood disorder with psychotic symptoms like schizoaffective disorder, but even that seems to be a stretch.

#32 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him, but that's mostly due to his amazing first eponymous series. When written by Bendis (who I like as a writer), he has become seriously detrimental to good story-telling.

#33 Posted by tensor (4351 posts) - - Show Bio

i hate him the writing for sentry is a bunch of sh!t he is up an down then u have the bad an the good just kill him already an if is 1 character that should be superman in marvel is Hyperion really cool

#34 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio
He's an ok character till now and i personally like his other side the void more, but then again if sentry wouldnt be there would be no void so hey, i like him. 

@weather witch said:
" WATS UP!!!! "
Where've you been D:?
#35 Posted by brc2000 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno. It really seems that Sentry is just being forced down the readers'  throats at times. To me it seems that the entire Dark Avengers series was just to build up Sentry. I didn't hate the character initially but now I can see why he's so hated.

#36 Posted by Hyperion31916 (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Your absolutely correct... marvel is making him crazy powerful, but hopefully that means they are going to have to stop him soon. That means marvel will finally bring a true badass into 616. HYPERION 31916!!!!!

#37 Posted by Stormultt (5317 posts) - - Show Bio

sentry himself is not a bad character but sometimes written horribly. quit hatin! point blank he has so much potential.
#38 Posted by Bullseye1930 (74 posts) - - Show Bio
@Quentin_Beck said:
"

Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but ... 

I despise Sentry for several reasons.  First and foremost, I hate any character who has essentially limitless power.  Unstoppable characters are boring and make for awful stories.  It doesn't matter if they're good or evil (or whatever the heck Sentry is ... I'm not really sure).   

Secondly, he just ripped one of my favorite characters in two.  Ares is/was perhaps the only super-powered super-hero (with the exception of a couple X-Men) that I actually like.  Usually I only like heroes like Batman, Iron Man, or Black Widow, but Ares had a special place in my heart. 

My third issue is that he appears way too often, especially for a deus ex machina.  These kinds of characters should only EVER be used as a last ditch effort by hero or villain alike.  Sentry's popping up almost as often as Wolverine. 

Fourth problem is that the guy is an angst-ridden milksop.  All he does is cry, fly off, beat sombody up, and cry some more.  Seriously, if any sentient being (which, I suppose, rules out Sentry) got unimaginable power, they wouldn't curl up in the fetal position and cry themselves to sleep every night.

Fifth he's kind of a one (or two) trick pony.  Big shiny guy flies in.  Big shiny guy throws something into sun.  Big shiny guy flies in.  Big shiny guy rips something in half (crying the entire time, of course).

Finally, when he enters the picture, the story gets thrown out the window.  He's a speeding freight train that just kinda smashes into a comic, breaks everything, screws everything up, and speeds off.  There's no sense to anything that goes on when he appears, there's no rules, and there's no point.  And don't you dare give me any excuse about him being "mentally unstable".  Bor ain't the only psych. major on these boards, and the Sentry that I see doesn't resemble any mental illness I've heard of.  It's not D.I.D. and it's not schizophrenia.  Maybe a mood disorder with psychotic symptoms like schizoaffective disorder, but even that seems to be a stretch.

"

We can only hope that Bendis sees your post and takes it to heart. PREACH IT BROTHER!!!
#39 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Sentry from his Mini from 06. Now IDK. But he has nothing in common with Superman at all besides the cape and flight

#40 Posted by Bullseye1930 (74 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"I like Sentry from his Mini from 06. Now IDK. But he has nothing in common with Superman at all besides the cape and flight "

I just said that because i've read where several writers refer to him as such. If anything he's closer to a grown up Billy Batson that cries all the time and is afraid of his own shadow.
#41 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@thetitan0 said:
" i like him. and while he is getting more powerful he still can't move planets (like superman) "
Superman hasnt been able to move planets in ages. get over it.  And Sentry probably really can moves planets. Superman's strength is actually limited, where as Sentry has strength that at least rivals that on top of his unlimited "exploding suns" energy/molecular manipulation/telepathy powers. 
 at least Superman STANDS for something. Hope. Truth. Justice. 
 Whats Sentry stand for? Plot devices? Questionable morals? eh. i hate Superman, but i'd pick him over golden boy any day.
#42 Posted by thetitan0 (846 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" @thetitan0 said:
" i like him. and while he is getting more powerful he still can't move planets (like superman) "
Superman hasnt been able to move planets in ages. get over it.  And Sentry probably really can moves planets. Superman's strength is actually limited, where as Sentry has strength that at least rivals that on top of his unlimited "exploding suns" energy/molecular manipulation/telepathy powers.   at least Superman STANDS for something. Hope. Truth. Justice.   Whats Sentry stand for? Plot devices? Questionable morals? eh. i hate Superman, but i'd pick him over golden boy any day. "
dude whats your problem? 
#43 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

i like snetry hes different , age of sentry was a good arc but recent sentry has gone alittle crazy they should get someone else to right him or kill him off for abit since bendis cnat make hes mind up what to do with him by the looks of it.

#44 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@thetitan0 said:
" @Grim said:
" @thetitan0 said:
Superman hasnt been able to move planets in ages. get over it.  And Sentry probably really can moves planets. Superman's strength is actually limited, where as Sentry has strength that at least rivals that on top of his unlimited "exploding suns" energy/molecular manipulation/telepathy powers.   at least Superman STANDS for something. Hope. Truth. Justice.   Whats Sentry stand for? Plot devices? Questionable morals? eh. i hate Superman, but i'd pick him over golden boy any day. "
dude whats your problem?  "
im sick of people pushing the whole idea that Superman can move planets any more than guys like Sentry or Hulk can. There has been like one instance in the last 30 years that said superman could just pull earth out of orbit. Everything else out there puts his strength level at just under being able to move the moon.  So i hate it when people act like Superman is some sort of uber god.
 Sentry is a hyped up silver age superman. He's a BETTER version of what superman was downgraded from. go ahead. read up on Silver age superman. compare it to Sentry. They MIGHT be an even match. so how the hell is the watered down version better than Sentry? answeeer: he's not. 
 those one or two instances that showed superman moving an Earth sized planet where nothing more than writers trying to make superman do something cool without doing thier research. every comic has issues like that. But its been like 30 years since the Silver age, and superman 90% of the superman material out there says he cant move Earth. And while he is super strong, he cant wipe the brains of the world, or tear gods like Ares in half, or manipulate matter, or become a potentially galaxy-destroying entity (like Sentry can/did/is).
 thats my problem.
#45 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, i just hope Marvelman can kick his a$$.

#46 Posted by NeoMantis (40 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Sentry is one of the more interesting Marvel characters at the moment and it's his vast power and crippling mental problems that make him so. Despite his great power he can't be relied upon to save the day every time and his mental issues has real consequences, not only for himself but for the world.

The Sentry has come a long way from when he was basically Marvel's version of Superman.

#47 Posted by bumnut (1789 posts) - - Show Bio
@NeoMantis said:
"I think the Sentry is one of the more interesting Marvel characters at the moment and it's his vast power and crippling mental problems that make him so. Despite his great power he can't be relied upon to save the day every time and his mental issues has real consequences, not only for himself but for the world.  The Sentry has come a long way from when he was basically Marvel's version of Superman. "

Really? Sentry's nothing more than a psychotic delusional bipolar schitzo who doesn't know right from wrong and basically is told what to do, till he flips out, then turns on everybody, even the hand that feeds him lol I'm next to positive he'll bite the dust at the end of  Siege. 

#48 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@bumnut: 
that kind of doesnt work since what as assumed to be his bipolar schizophrenic delusion,
was confirmed to be real, and the thing that was manipulating him from the start and at every turn.
#49 Posted by bumnut (1789 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:

" @bumnut:  that kind of doesnt work since what as assumed to be his bipolar schizophrenic delusion, was confirmed to be real, and the thing that was manipulating him from the start and at every turn. "

Can you break that down for me (sorry, been a long night, few drinks, and trying to make sense of what you said 
#50 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@bumnut: your an excellent troll. keep up the terrible work. this will be the last time i respond to you drunk.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.