Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

Should he return?

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By New_World_Order

Does Marvel have any plans on returning the Sentry? If they did do you think there would be a lot of conflict between him, and the Asgardian, and Oylmpian race. Seeing as what he did to Asgard, Loki, and Ares.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By Teerack

Not right now. Sentry played a big role in the MU and currently with Hulk, Red Hulk, Thor, and Wonder Man are all on active duty on the Avengers, so I don't think he would be nearly as cool because there isn't this huge tension about what to do with him because he out powers everyone right now.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

@Teerack said:

Not right now. Sentry played a big role in the MU and currently with Hulk, Red Hulk, Thor, and Wonder Man are all on active duty on the Avengers, so I don't think he would be nearly as cool because there isn't this huge tension about what to do with him because he out powers everyone right now.

Nevermind. I thought you were saying he was on the Avengers, but you meant with all those powerhouses on the Avengers they wouldn't need Sentry, I agree. Specially with Hyperion, Smasher and Captain Universe on the Avengers too.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ssejllenrad

Return with 4 sentries. One of ethnic minority, one should be a cyborg, one an ai who found a body, and one a clone kid. None of which is the real one. Then the real one should return and beat the cyborg one.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By New_World_Order

@PrinceIMC said:

@Teerack said:

Nevermind. I thought you were saying he was on the Avengers, but you meant with all those powerhouses on the Avengers they wouldn't need Sentry, I agree. Specially with Hyperion, Smasher and Captain Universe on the Avengers too.

Well he could go solo. There could be countless good stories made with him.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By New_World_Order

@ssejllenrad said:

Return with 4 sentries. One of ethnic minority, one should be a cyborg, one an ai who found a body, and one a clone kid. None of which is the real one. Then the real one should return and beat the cyborg one.

Lol

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Teerack

@ThunderGodsWrath said:

@PrinceIMC said:

@Teerack said:

Most Sentry stories were written as if it was a solo series.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By New_World_Order

@Teerack said:

@ThunderGodsWrath said:

@PrinceIMC said:

@Teerack said:

Most Sentry stories were written as if it was a solo series.

They can do it again

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Teerack

@ThunderGodsWrath: But my point was more that they were written in a very solo style because there was this big divide between him and the rest of the heroes because there was this big fear everyone had because they didn't know what to do about him.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By gravitypress

He shouldn't be back until Marvel changes creative control.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Teerack

@gravitypress: Ha, I agree.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By New_World_Order

@Teerack said:

@ThunderGodsWrath: But my point was more that they were written in a very solo style because there was this big divide between him and the rest of the heroes because there was this big fear everyone had because they didn't know what to do about him.

Oh

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By TDK_1997

No,I don't think so.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By New_World_Order

@TDK_1997 said:

No,I don't think so.

Why?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TDK_1997

@ThunderGodsWrath said:

@TDK_1997 said:

No,I don't think so.

Why?

I don't like him as a character much and he wouldn't fit right now.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By New_World_Order

@TDK_1997 said:

@ThunderGodsWrath said:

@TDK_1997 said:

No,I don't think so.

Why?

I don't like him as a character much and he wouldn't fit right now.

Oh

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shackle

Sentry worked, and worked pretty well actually, in his initial purpose in Marvel Knights as being a part of the Marvel universe, but not being part of the mainstream 616 universe. There are some interesting stories that can be told with the Sentry character, but you throw him into the mainstream universe and he throws everything off balance by being so stupidly, ridiculously, outrageously over powered.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tendrin

I know, right? It's not like the MU is not like Thor and Silver Surfer and others aren't outrageously overpowered!

Oh wait.

The truth is that Sentry was written badly and in a way almost nobody could like. His power level has -nothing to do with that-. except in that Bendis tried to make him an Avenger and then had no idea how to handle a powerhouse on the Avengers.

He -still- has no idea how.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Havenless

I think he should return as a villain. Not the void thing enitrely, but you can keep that split personality if you want, but literally Sentry the Deathdealer. Maybe a galactic villain showing up in Nova and Silver Surfer comics. His existence on Marvel Earth just kind of kills the mood. There's a guy who can beat everyone at once? Okay... I guess.

Marvel needs to pick up with some more A-grade supervillains. They've concentrated on on new heroes a lot lately, and bringing Norman Osborn back was a good start. Bishop hopefully turns into something twisted and awesome, but they need to work out some more.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I hope not. I didn't like the character. Biased aside I don't think they will for awhile because they are bringing MarvelMan or whatever he's called back. Unless Sentry gets rebirthed as him but whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Definitely.

Torch_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havenless: He's freaking overpowered, more than Thor or any other powerhouse. How would they beat him? Psychological therapy? Friendly talk?

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Havenless

@torch_7:

Silver Surfer or Gladiator vs Sentry would be fun to watch

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

You guys have seen this right? Apparently it is from this months uncanny avengers however I cant confirm as I haven't picked it up yet.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tendrin

Yep. Sentry is 'back' as a Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I find this sort of a sad way for him to come back, and suspect he's just there to be fodder fed to Thor for Thor fans to wank to.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt: actually dude that cover is from issue 10 whitch will come out in july

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tendrin: wank off too ? Really you had a type that ? Just another troll.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tendrin

I did, in fact, have to type that. Because when the issue comes out or the storyline resolves, I am nearly 100% certain (and I would like to be wrong) this will be another iteration of the Sentry getting used to prop up Thor, who doesn't really need the propping up. And a whole -lot- of crap has been thrown at the Sentry by a *lot* of Thor fans on this very forum, who hate him for 'displacing' Thor and how he hasn't 'paid his dues'. I have a feeling this will be a battle in which Thor will smoosh the Sentry, and Thor fans will go 'HAW HAW HAW'. It will likely do very little for the Sentry -- a character held in low regard by many -- and I doubt anything significant will come of it for the character except getting killed again.

Which is a shame.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Oh okay, I read it somewhere else on the vine but thanks for letting me know. Now I won't be too disappointed when I pick #9 up.

Chibio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chibio

@tendrin said:

Yep. Sentry is 'back' as a Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I find this sort of a sad way for him to come back, and suspect he's just there to be fodder fed to Thor for Thor fans to wank to.

When it comes to X-Men I mostly followed comics where Magneto was the main villain of the story arc, so I don't know that much about Apocalypse. Didn't his Horsemen get power upgrades? And become like much, much more powerful? Even Wolverine was a much bigger threat as a Horseman, if I remember correctly. Wouldn't that send the Sentry way out of Thor's league?

In my personal opinion Sentry is already the more powerful character than Thor. Giving him a potential power upgrade due to him becoming one of the Horsemen Of Death, damn.. They have to come up with a pretty damn good plan to defeat such an opponent, since I don't recall any Norn stones being around this time.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sincerely doubt it will be treated even slightly like that. I hope I'm wrong.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32  Edited By SC  Moderator

@tendrin said:

I did, in fact, have to type that. Because when the issue comes out or the storyline resolves, I am nearly 100% certain (and I would like to be wrong) this will be another iteration of the Sentry getting used to prop up Thor, who doesn't really need the propping up. And a whole -lot- of crap has been thrown at the Sentry by a *lot* of Thor fans on this very forum, who hate him for 'displacing' Thor and how he hasn't 'paid his dues'. I have a feeling this will be a battle in which Thor will smoosh the Sentry, and Thor fans will go 'HAW HAW HAW'. It will likely do very little for the Sentry -- a character held in low regard by many -- and I doubt anything significant will come of it for the character except getting killed again.

Which is a shame.

I am a Sentry fan, and a Thor fan. I could and eventually will write a blog about why i like Sentry and want I would like Marvel to do with him, ditto Thor. I agree with you as far as I don't want Sentry to be revived just to prop up Thor. I am not sure if that will happen, I know they are being touted as having a rematch, but I don't know what that will entail. For all I know it might mean Sentry comes back and beats up Thor substantially before Thor makes a come back and kills him again.

Thor fans? Well sure, they have thrown a lot of hate towards Sentry, and Hulk, and Superman, and Rogue and - I have seen a lot of Sentry fans throw hate at Thor and Blue Marvel, and Superman and Hulk and... I can think of many fans of many characters who throw hate at other characters. Its a human thing to love one thing and hate another. Personally I dislike hate, in general and I don't see the point of it towards fictional constructs. Also as a Sentry fan I tend to note that a lot of non Thor fans hate him, some even hate Thor and Sentry. As a fan of reason and psychology I also tend to note when people make assertions that sound objective in nature but are born of purely subjective reasoning - sometimes even fallacious reasoning. The interesting thing to me isn't so much with people and assertions but people and assertions and counter assertions and arguments and reasoning behind arguments and preemptive arguments and simply put fans interacting with other. One thing I know about how conflict escalates rapidly is that often people do not realize how their actions potentially offend others whilst simultaneously being offended by others actions and because peoples perceptions being peoples perceptions, people underestimate how their own actions can offend and overestimate how other peoples actions intend to offend. Hence they retaliate but of course retaliate to the perception.

Which is to say as a Sentry and a Thor and a Namor and a Ares and a Hulk fan, I can often see how animosity can build between fan bases. An innocent comment like X character is more powerful than Y character phrased as a fact without being proven as a fact can unintentionally trigger a strong response in a person who believes Y character is actually more powerful. Which can prompt other fans to start weighing in and as more people respond you end up with people asserting X character is a ****** ******** wimp who ******** and deserves to die because he ******* and Character R is stronger than him anyway and character H curbstomped him anyway and creator G thinks Character L is stronger anyway and fans of Character X are this and that.

Michael Avon Oeming much like Paul Jenkins wrote a wonderfully crafted mini series about a character that many people also overlooked. In the end both characters of both mini's were drafted into Bendis New Avengers earning them both a legion of new fans. Both new characters were teased and paralleled with Thor for a few reasons, both naturally many comic fans read such comparisons as literal and or jumped to speculation about what such comparisons really meant - some fans starting to get to a point where what they interpreted was the only possible meaning... in the end Ares will pretty much killed just to boost Sentry and his reputation. Writers own sentiment. As a fan of both characters I don't mind though, its just the writers style. Different writers have different styles and opinions, different fans have different styles and opinions. Different characters affect different characters in both a negative and positive sense. Many characters helped prop Sentry up, many have helped Thor prop up (Namor, Thing, Hulk) Thor has helped prop many other characters up (Hercules, Wonder Man, Ares, Sentry, Rogue, Silver Surfer and Sentry) - there is a lot of give and take. Oh Sentry has helped boost many characters too.

My objective view on all this which coincides with my opinions, is that Sentry and Thor shouldn't be pitted together. Creates too much animosity and Marvel as a company should want its fans to pick up books with both Thor in it and Sentry and making fans dislike a character so much they want them buried or humiliated isn't good business practice. Both characters have more value than their ability to beat the other. Many Thor fans can be touchy and even though I think he had great moments in AVX it seems many disagree with me and - well sometimes writers can exploit that by propping a character up. Greg Pak did that with Hulk - a huge Hulk fan his run is adored and celebrated by Hulk fans and a large part of Pak's motivation was to have Hulk victorious in a physical sense in many of his story arcs. I am not sure Remender is Thor's equivalent writer though so Sentry fans should have plenty of room for hope.

Hope I didn't bore you ^__^

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@torch_7 said:

@havenless: He's freaking overpowered, more than Thor or any other powerhouse. How would they beat him? Psychological therapy? Friendly talk?

crashing a helicarrier into him again, that's his weakness.... :P

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tendrin
    evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah,he makes everthing interesting.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Teerack

I think it would be cool if he came back but was powered up even more. To the point where Thor pounding on him all day with his hammer wouldn't even make him blink.

Maybe make him a little like Captain Britain where his emotions effect his powers. Like if he's really confident he gets full of power and when he's all sad he gets weaker, but when Void is in charge he'll be the most powerful still cause he would have super arrogant and confident.

Tiamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.