Sentry vs Thor(not a debate but the actual fight that took place)

Posted by negamegas (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, a few weeks ago I read up on a what if comic that involved some avengers meeting up with the dark avengers and fighting. The name of the comic escapes me and I've noticed some people(and by some I mean a certain fanboy who's name I won't mention that and well other fanboys) claim that's how it'll happen cause thor is powerful and blah blah blah Superman beating thor was bad writing.

Bah.... now this is ACTUAL bad writing, not Superman beating thor but Thor snapping Sentry's neck and killing him.

If Sentry can survive being blown up, getting his head blown off, not to mention having ALL of his molecules be destroyed and reformed.... there's no reason why Thor should of killed him that easily.    THAT right there is a form of bad writing.

And that's all I got for this blog, the writer obviously didn't know how Sentry works(and btw I'm not a sentry fanboy before anyone jumps to that conclusion) and the ending was just BS.

#1 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

That was a what if, and it's not canon.

As for your post, Marvel doesn't freaking know how Sentry works. I think we can forgive the writer for writing what he did.

#2 Posted by negamegas (300 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom:
heh, it's alright. I know it's non-canon to the Marvel 616 universe but isn't all what if stories take place in alternate dimmensions or something like that? 

Yeah, I can forgive the writer it's just he didn't know much about the character and that's what sort of bugs me. Now I know this is a bad example but it's like... Spider-man beating Galactus while the writer didn't know much about Galactus.
#3 Posted by jloneblackheart (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is currently taking a beat down from Sentry and the other Dark Avengers (but mostly Sentry) in Siege #1

Moderator Online
#4 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart said:
" Thor is currently taking a beat down from Sentry and the other Dark Avengers (but mostly Sentry) in Siege #1 "
No, Thor is currently one-shotting Sentry in Siege #1.
#5 Posted by jloneblackheart (5487 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom: Really? That's not what I remember reading. Didn't it end with everyone all worried about Thor (media and stuff) and the Dark Avengers standing over him? I guess I'll have to read it again.
Moderator Online
#6 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart said:
" @AtPhantom: Really? That's not what I remember reading. Didn't it end with everyone all worried about Thor (media and stuff) and the Dark Avengers standing over him? I guess I'll have to read it again. "
Yeah, Thor was beaten down by DA, but Sentry was not with them. Sentry was knocked out by Thor after his initial speed blitz.
#7 Posted by jloneblackheart (5487 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom: Wow, I must have skipped a page or something.
Moderator Online
#8 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

bad writing almost never exists..............WHAT did i just say that  YES I DID. 

bad writing is something WE make up to explain why something doesnt make sense to US. is batman killing darkseed bad writing? no not when you look at the situation the story told it made sense. Now put them in a boxing ring and make batman win with no story at all then ok maybe thats bad writing ,buts it more to do with lack of story.......... not bad writing. 

Jimmy olsen killing superman with his bare hands is not a bad writing idea if there is a story that shows why it happen that way. 
we cant just point to comics into a black and white state of mind. 

for example lets say this is a TRUTH in all comicdom 

#1 is superman # 2 is Thor # 3 is Hulk ...........................# 35 is the Green Arrow 

now lets say you write a nice story where # 35 green arrow shoots a K Juice arrow at #1 superman and then beats the snot out of him is that bad writing? cause god knows superman is #1 and green arrow is #35 NO WAY 35 ranked guy beats the #1 guy!! 

lets think about that
#9 Posted by negamegas (300 posts) - - Show Bio
@speedlgt:
heh, well you do got a point there and I dare you to explain that to a certain fanboy I know when it comes to Superman vs Thor. XD 
 What you said with the green arrow thing makes sense, my problem with the fight regardless of it not being canon was that he snapped Sentry's neck and that killed him. Sentry had his head blew clean off his shoulders, and exploded, and his molecules were destroyed but somehow he dies from getting his neck snapped.... it just doesn't make sense. If you feel like you can explain it properly, then go right ahead.
#10 Posted by Postacrat (516 posts) - - Show Bio

why do people trash superman and then ride Sentry's nuts when he's basically a hero created with the Arch-type of  a model superhero,  namely superman himself?  The cape, the invulnerability, his stance and style of flight in said cape? He even reminds me of Nuclear man from superman 4.  The only reason that people think Sentry is easier to write for is because of his mental instability, allowing him to be put down in dumb instances.  I'm not a superman fan like that but I do respect him and his abilities, Sentry is just overpowered by writers to create a psuedo diffderence between the two.  I personally believe it is possible for Supes to beat Thor, people try to give power points just because someone is a God(even though the asgardians are *cough* humanoid beings from another dimension not actually gods.  In a sense no different from supes who could be considered a living god on earth in his on right, it is kinda godly to listen to your planets issues from outside of the earths orbit.  Now as far as Thor Vs Sentry, it's high time thor went up against a notable character and win with little effort.  He ultimately was taken down but he proved that he is a problem for any being not just certain ones, so what better to do then put him up against the cheapest hero in Marvel The Sentry.  I hope he beats him up again personally.
#11 Posted by Night Thrasher (3709 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate them both equally superman and sentry. Superman  is overrated and sentry is an overrated clone. bah humbug

#12 Posted by Alpha (7331 posts) - - Show Bio
@Night Thrasher said:
"I hate them both equally superman and sentry. Superman  is overrated and sentry is an overrated clone. bah humbug "

What's overrated about them?
#13 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@speedlgt: You're mixing bad writing and plot. There's a clear difference.
#14 Posted by CATMANEXE--defunct (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

one What If? fight Thor kills him, there really wasnt a fight
one What If? Sentry stands down, fight never happens
in Siege Sentry blitzes Thor, Thor smacks him, theyre both doing okay

what i thought of the Sentry Vs Thor fight is we havent seen it.
we're supposed to see a full on fight, but who knows.
definatly not if the fights go like the Utopia ones.

#15 Posted by Night Thrasher (3709 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alpha: superman is overrated, not by nature but by perception. if you go on any battle thread with him it's ridiculous what people think he can do. if you put a thread up that puts One Above All against supes then some fanboy is going to make an illogical argument that somehow supes one hits TOAA. Sentry is a clone of this absurd concoction and it's sickening
#16 Posted by negamegas (300 posts) - - Show Bio
@Night Thrasher:
Ehhh... I kind of doubt most Superman fans are like that, only a selected few are like that.
#17 Posted by why so serious (1379 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Sentry has beaten Thor before.
Thor snapping Sentry's neck was probably just fan art. 

#18 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@why so serious said:
" I think Sentry has beaten Thor before. "
He hasn't. 

@why so serious said:
"Thor snapping Sentry's neck was probably just fan art.  "
It was an issue of What If?
#19 Posted by why so serious (1379 posts) - - Show Bio

oh nvm

#20 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

The only time i like Sentry is when he lives up to his hype, and he's doing that in Seige.

#21 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buckshot said:
" The only time i like Sentry is when he lives up to his hype, and he's doing that in Seige. "
Interesting, cause that's when everyone else seems to hate him.
#22 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:

" @Buckshot said:

" The only time i like Sentry is when he lives up to his hype, and he's doing that in Seige. "
Interesting, cause that's when everyone else seems to hate him. "
  They billed him as the most powerful guy in Marvel and for a while he was just not showing that was true but the talk still said he was. I didn't like that. Though I don't like all the ways he's finally earning that ranking, I'm liking him more now that he is what they said he was. His origin is getting rehashed/cleared up/finally revealed and I think him as someone who just is not cut out to be a hero (for several reasons) but still trying/pretending to be (for mostly the wrong reasons), is more compelling character wise than what he was supposed to be before (and fits more with what he has shown and is showing). So together, he's finally acting like the top dog that he should have been all along, and has a more interesting backstory that's consistent with his character. There are still issues, but I like him more now.     
#23 Posted by subzero_overdrive (12 posts) - - Show Bio

His origin hasnt been revealed and I doubt the Sentry or his wife even know about his origin, But from what i have seen in Siege #2, Thor doesnt stand a chance againt a berserk Sentry on Osborn's Order, Sentry might not have the fighting skills Thor has but still has the insane power advantage. Especially now that Thor is in a weakened state right now, Siege probarely gonna lead to Odin's resurrection somehow and Thor+Odin gonna kiss some Sentry ASS. Could someone clarify what happened to Sentry when he got cut by Ares's axe. 
#24 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio
@subzero_overdrive said:
" His origin hasnt been revealed and I doubt the Sentry or his wife even know about his origin, But from what i have seen in Siege #2, Thor doesnt stand a chance againt a berserk Sentry on Osborn's Order, Sentry might not have the fighting skills Thor has but still has the insane power advantage. Especially now that Thor is in a weakened state right now, Siege probarely gonna lead to Odin's resurrection somehow and Thor+Odin gonna kiss some Sentry ASS. Could someone clarify what happened to Sentry when he got cut by Ares's axe.  "
His origin hasn't been fully revealed but its been shown that he wasn't a good kid who got superpowered, but a loser and a junkie, someone with a mentality inline with how Sentry acts. His personal history is being shown, if not what exactly his powers are.  

When he got cut his energy and some void tentacles looked like they came out.
#25 Posted by rein (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

does anyone have scans of thor one shotting sentry?

#26 Posted by DEGRAAF (7918 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buckshot said:
" @subzero_overdrive said:
" His origin hasnt been revealed and I doubt the Sentry or his wife even know about his origin, But from what i have seen in Siege #2, Thor doesnt stand a chance againt a berserk Sentry on Osborn's Order, Sentry might not have the fighting skills Thor has but still has the insane power advantage. Especially now that Thor is in a weakened state right now, Siege probarely gonna lead to Odin's resurrection somehow and Thor+Odin gonna kiss some Sentry ASS. Could someone clarify what happened to Sentry when he got cut by Ares's axe.  "
His origin hasn't been fully revealed but its been shown that he wasn't a good kid who got superpowered, but a loser and a junkie, someone with a mentality inline with how Sentry acts. His personal history is being shown, if not what exactly his powers are.   When he got cut his energy and some void tentacles looked like they came out. "

he really has become bad ass, im sure most still hate him but i agree with BUCKSHOT, as long as he lives up to his hype he's ok in my book.  

Ares wasnt as strong as Thor correct? But he did have more military and fighting expertise. 

Something big is definitely gonna have to happen or someone extremely powerful is gonna have to come out of Asgard (like KURSE) or someone like that. How about the agardian shown in Siege #1. The keeper of the bridge or getway. Plus Daken was burnt to a crisp shown lying on the ground looked to be dead thanks to Thors lightning. so do we think he is out of it until the ending moments of siege?
#27 Posted by subzero_overdrive (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope Sentry doesnt survive the Seige, I dont really have a problem with him being mentally ill but having to follow Osborns orders and previously Stark's  (like a obedient dog)pisses me off.

#28 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio

If Bendis wasn't such a terrible writer..Sentry would have BEEN badass and remained that way.All this flying to other planets to cry and getting owned by people below his league crap is just stupid.If he's going to be a powerhouse..let him be a powerhouse.

#29 Posted by OhTru (1556 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:

" No, Thor is currently one-shotting Sentry in Siege #1. "

The Sentry can not die

@Vance Astro said:

" .If he's going to be a powerhouse..let him be a powerhouse. "

GTFO 

He's too stupid a character too be a power house  

the character is a hoax, a fcking hoax so it can not be taken serious from day one, he will never have his own cartoon show, never star in a movie...Sentry just sucks

Having another godlike being in Marvel is dumb, that was one of the good things about M-day getting rid off all the superman mutants
Marvel comics is not about a-holes flying around in capes
His mini lame, its readable but totally over rated by fanboys  

Sentry is unoriginal, its like you grab MiracleMan, Venom, Emo Prime, Majestic, SilverAge Superman grab them all, roll em into a ball and you got the unoriginal Sentry. He's a rip off, he might be a rip off on more than one character but he's a rip off all the same  

He offends continuity, this is one of the worst things about him. He's a slap in the face to anyone who has read a comic before his bullsht story came along
#30 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@OhTru said:
" @AtPhantom said:

" No, Thor is currently one-shotting Sentry in Siege #1. "

The Sentry can not die "
The point of this being what?
#31 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buckshot said:
" They billed him as the most powerful guy in Marvel and for a while he was just not showing that was true but the talk still said he was. I didn't like that. Though I don't like all the ways he's finally earning that ranking, I'm liking him more now that he is what they said he was. His origin is getting rehashed/cleared up/finally revealed and I think him as someone who just is not cut out to be a hero (for several reasons) but still trying/pretending to be (for mostly the wrong reasons), is more compelling character wise than what he was supposed to be before (and fits more with what he has shown and is showing). So together, he's finally acting like the top dog that he should have been all along, and has a more interesting backstory that's consistent with his character. There are still issues, but I like him more now.      "
I agree with this entirely.
#32 Posted by Havoc@Heaven (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess who killed sentry?

#33 Posted by JimmyBones (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Morgana le Fay?

#34 Posted by Lvenger (21239 posts) - - Show Bio
@JimmyBones:   Thor in Siege #4. It's terrible writing. First Thor one shots Sentry then Sentry starts beating on Thor then Thor kills Sentry with one hammer blow to the head. One hammer blow to the head is all it took for a guy who went toe to toe with WWH and almost won. It annoys me greatly.
#35 Posted by Susanoo (5868 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger said:
" @JimmyBones:   Thor in Siege #4. It's terrible writing. First Thor one shots Sentry then Sentry starts beating on Thor then Thor kills Sentry with one hammer blow to the head. One hammer blow to the head is all it took for a guy who went toe to toe with WWH and almost won. It annoys me greatly. "

Thor is far beyond Sentry in physical strength.
#36 Posted by KidSupreme (826 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor RULES!

#37 Posted by partyhatguywrestledabearonce (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@Buckshot: Thats true look how he destroyed Ares in it..if he can destroy the god of war that easily he would have no trouble killing Thor.

#38 Posted by Tendrin (64 posts) - - Show Bio

In the What If Osbourne Won, they claimed that the 'reason' the Sentry was defeated was because he'd 'expended too much energy ripping Ares in half'. Which was entirely silly, much like the whole What If was in the first place.

#39 Posted by SC (13396 posts) - - Show Bio

Well see, as odd as it may seem, a character who can survive being blown up, getting his head blown off, not to mention having "ALL" of his molecules be destroyed and reformed (were his molecules really all destroyed, or were they mere violently ripped apart and then reformed) such a character, surviving such damage, thats an ability, or power, or something inherent to the character? The thing is, just because a character can do such things, doesn't mean a character will absolutely always do such things. As a rough parallel humans can actually survive and heal from many things, but the older we get or the more exhausted and ill we are, the more our ability to heal can be impeded as (to an extent we don't heal back we just die) opposed to as it were if we were in peak health and conditioning. So arguably if Sentry exerts himself enough he may be more vulnerable to certain injury than other times. That being said ignoring the fact that What If's tend to have a predetermined outcome that is raced towards more directly than most main reality stories, it does seem of an anti climatic way for Sentry to be killed.  

#40 Posted by Tendrin (64 posts) - - Show Bio

That's not the silly part. The silly part was that they used that as the explanation to pretend that's why he was beatable in the first place. It undercut Siege all together, imv.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.