Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

Question's About Sentry & His Return!

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jeanroygrant

Question's About Sentry & His Return!

• Who else wants Sentry back?
  • Does anyone know if he's coming back anytime soon?
  • How do you think he's going to be wrote?
  • Do yo think it would cause a big problem with Asgardia & Olympus?
  • What will the other Avengers think about this?
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AtPhantom

No one wants him back and no one plans to bring him back.

FinnVarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FinnVarra

Yeah Sentry was pretty thoroughly ruined by bad inconsistent writing. I'd rather have Ares back.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jeanroygrant

I wouldn't mind Ares gone for a couple more years. He's the God Of War, that's how it works for him.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VampireSelektor

I would LOVE the Sentry, granted Marvel charges a intelligent, creative writer to place him in a storyline of clear understandability and consistent quality. Revealing his (reader-satisfying) origin would salve some booboos, too. Bendis never seemed to know what to do with the character. Jonathan Hickman could take a crack at the Golden Guardian. Maybe Scott Snyder, if Marvel manages to snatch him away from Didio. Snyder could definitely create a dynamic atmosphere of shimmering ether and muddled noir (for the sake of The Void). Oliver Coipel and Francisco Francavilla could split art duties in order to depict the two personalities of Robert Reynolds.

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VampireSelektor

No character is unsalvagable.

IncredibleMSJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By IncredibleMSJ

Very rarely do heroes stay dead. I know a lot of people hate him but I thought with some decent writing he was an enjoyable character. The mental conflicts were a fun read for me.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tendrin

I've always liked the Sentry and, after reading his original mini, I had hoped they would delicately figure out a way to introduce him into the main MU.

What we got, instead, was a colossal mess where they never seemed to have a consistant vision of the character beyond 'he's eventually going to become the Void!!!!'. Bendis' stuff was mostly nonsense and his treatment of a mentally ill person often disgusting for those familiar with the territory like myself.

The Sentry, at his fines,t was a powerful commentary on the mentally ill and the power of addiction and the way those people are treated and often overlooked and forgotten about... and hated.

What we COULD have gotten was far different from what we did get. He was the most potentially awesome character to come out of the 2000s... and the most misused. He needs a rest, a good one, and then somebody can try to put the messy pieces together in a way that makes the character salvageable. No character is unsalvageable, as the poster above states, and he deserves another chance someday. Just not now -- not with the mess Bendis was allowed to make of him. There were moments of pure awesome, but most of it was surrounded by inconsistent writing and an inconsistent direction.

Bring him back and make him John Forbes Nash as a superhero. (The guy that 'A Beautiful Mind' was based on.)

Also, we don't know what the real feelings about the character are. It's very popular to hate on him, but a lot of people have different reasons for hating him. A good writer could undermine most of those, and give him a clean shot at making it. Those who are enraged that he 'displaces' their favorites, or that he 'ruins' continuity are never going t be persuaded to the merits of the character... but who really cares what they think?)

In short, yes. He can be brought back. It wouldn't be hard to do it. I can think of a number of decent ways off the top of my head, honestly. Should he? Probably not right now. We're only a short time after Siege, and having him back this soon would make people groan rather than have their curiousity piqued. The character came with a large number of built in restraints on his power level and useage, which were all ignored by Bendis who instead focused on making him even MORE powerful to build up the threat of the Void because, you know, all mentally ill people always lose to their addictions and never overcome their problems ever except to ask for suicide by cop. Ugh.

kingkoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kingkoona

i love the sentry, but to say heroes dont stay dead is not always true. Look at captain mar-vell. Anytime they bring him back they kill him off again in a few issues lol.

Bendis really did kill the sentry. i think he hated him. infact everyone seems to hate him. which i dont understand because he started out as one of the most interesting characters ive ever discovered.

But its all down the the masses at the end of the day aint it?

i saw someone on a forum suggest he be brought back as a galactic character, rather than back to the avengers and earth.

but meh

...personally id love to see him come back in one of the A vs X titles and bust the x-men up, yet i know this is less than wishful thinking lol.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tendrin

Mar-vell comes back every few years, only to die again, yes.

Bendis killed the Sentry, yes, and there was a lot of hate for him that had *built up as a result of Bendis' writing of the character*. Given that Bendis did the majority of 'work' on the character, is anyoen surprised by this? Frankly, i think the plans were changed at the last minute and he was told to kill him off, personally, but we'll never know until Bendis comes out and says what went on in the meetings and his thought process on the character. Frankly, I'd love to see him try to tell us this was the plan all along, because it's clear he never really had any plan.

That said? Not everyone hates him. In fact, as evidenced by a lot of threads in a lot of places, a lot of people *don't* hate him. Some don't care, and others like him. Others hate what he was turned into. Strip away the layers, and you find out its actually a rather small chrous of Sentry *Haters* who are just really *loud* about it. Most people I know who don't follow internet forums but do read comics rather liked him -- and felt like he was a huge example of wasted potentia. Which he was.

Severely wasted potential. He should be brought back, eventually, and used more carefully and more in line with his original portrayal... not the bizarro Bendis version which never presented us with any consistant vision of the character beyond telling us 'BE AFRAID! BE REALLY AFRAID!' There are a lot of easy methods to bring him back -- but for now -- he needs to stay dead until there's 1) an openign to bring him back and 2) a writer who really gets the character and isn't afraid of playing with the issues of addiction, narcissism, mental illness, and the treatment of the mentally ill.

I mean, how many times did Bendis tell us this was going to be a 'big year' for the Sentry, only for him to do next to NOTHING?

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
    @AtPhantom said:

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By moywar700

@Illuminatus said:

@AtPhantom said:

THIS

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tendrin

Except... this thread sort of proves you two wrong. As do the posters who do, in fact, want him come back. Never say never, really. It's only a matter of time. I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we hope he'll be done better.

Sorry.

FrankenKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By FrankenKong
    No Caption Provided

If they brought him back in the right way I would be more than happy to see him return. Maybe with the new Marvel NOW revamp they can bring him back fresh and new. The Sentry #1...could be awsome.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tendrin

He did come up at San Diego Comiccon this year when a fan asked about his return.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997

I liked him in the beginning and while part of the New Avengers and the Mighty Avengers but when Bendis started writing him I just started hating the character and now I don't want to see him in another book.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tendrin

Bendis wrote him in the New and Mighty Avengers, didn't he?

That said, I don't want to see him back right *now*. Someday, though, I hope. Just too much potential in the concept to let it lay fallow forever.

kingkoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingkoona

@Tendrin said:

He did come up at San Diego Comiccon this year when a fan asked about his return.

what was said?

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tendrin

A fan asked if he was coming back, and someone said 'Fans shouldn't be surprised at another marvel event next summer'. Which wasn't really the answer to the question that was asked, but then again, maybe it was. Who knows. xD

kingkoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kingkoona

@Tendrin: im frothing at the pants already!

Tiamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tiamut

@FrankenKong said:

No Caption Provided

If they brought him back in the right way I would be more than happy to see him return. Maybe with the new Marvel NOW revamp they can bring him back fresh and new. The Sentry #1...could be awsome.

I agree. Bring him back.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chronus

I would be glad to have him brought back with a competent writer.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tendrin

So much for 'no one wants him back'.

Bring him back. Give him a writer who can handle the mental illness. And if you have to make him part of a team, make him part of a new Defenders.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By RealityWarper

Give him to Garth Ennis and let's see.

negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By negamegas

You know on Facebook, I have Paul Jenkins friended and he did say he eventually wants to bring him back. :D

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tendrin

He'll probably get his way eventually. But it's good to hear that. I've always wanted to have a word with the creator myself and tell him what his creation meant to me.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JonSmith
    Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tendrin

*golfclap*

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By z3ro180

@jeanroygrant: if done right yes and keep in mind that i hate the sentry

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Z3RO180 said:

@jeanroygrant: if done right yes and keep in mind that i hate the sentry

lol

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By fodigg
    Who else wants Sentry back?

I wouldn't want him back in core continuity. Sentry works best in contained storylines or as a villain. The only Sentry stuff I can say I really enjoyed without reservation were the original contained arc and the Age of the Sentry stuff. Outside of that he was too powerful and the nature of his powers meant he pretty much had to be put in the villainous role. He doesn't work in regular continuity. But more Age of the Sentry? Sure!

RedHood1110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By RedHood1110

I would love to see the return of the Sentry. He has great potential as both an exciting and thought-provoking character. especially if he's given his own solo run. Putting him on a team might take away his depth, cuz there's less time devoted to developing his character. His return would cause a massive stir throughout the Marvel Universe, and Asgard, Olympus, Earth, everyone would be very delicately trying to influence and eventually control what may be the most powerful being in existence. He'd be the ultimate deterrent, and even Asgard might consider getting on Robert's good side for the sake of their own survival and potential advancement. The Avengers collectively won't want him around, but some may be driven by their allegiances to stick with him, for his sake as well as theirs. Everyone knows he's volatile, and everyone has a stake in keeping him contained or setting him lose against someone else.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By evilvegeta74

Bring him back now!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#34  Edited By Teerack

He's like Captain Marvel where he's too strong to keep around all the time. I'd rather him stay away because if he was around in something like Fear Itself he could probably fuck at least one of the worthy on his own. The same with Wonder Man they're cool, but too strong to let interesting things happen.

DRDOOMSDAY390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By DRDOOMSDAY390

((only if they can find a good writer then yes))

Lordhuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lordhuck

I would rather have Ares back as well. 

We've got Hyperion for now in the Sentry slot.  That's good enough for me. 

If we need another big Powerhouse they should work in Blue Marvel more.

pinchpaker29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pinchpaker29

Bring back Ares and Sentry. In some weird or writer BS way, have Ares tear Sentry up, guts spilling and all. Then let's all forget Sentry ever happened.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Bring him back, but have him in the cosmic corner, maybe as a herald of Galactus.

Kiddevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Kiddevil

@fesak: Could the marvel universe really take that? An unstable guy with the power of exploding suns AND a drop of power cosmic mixed in?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.