Keep him dead

• 63 results
#1 Posted by Z3RO180 (6430 posts) - - Show Bio

i really dount know anything about the sentry other than he is way to over powerd an hes dead but serisoly marvel dount bring him back and if you do really and i mean really de power him.
#2 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180:

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180 said:
" i really dount know anything about the sentry other than he is way to over powerd an hes dead but serisoly marvel dount bring him back and if you do really and i mean really de power him. "
as you know nothing about him how can you even say that?
#4 Posted by doomsilver (643 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah he was pretty cool you should at least get to know the guy
#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring him back and have FadeToBlackBolt write him. :)

#6 Edited by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio

He had so many psychological problems most of the time his powers were ineffectual. 

#7 Posted by Z3RO180 (6430 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87:
i have read a bit about him on comicvine and the marvel data base and i think he is way to over powerd. 

i mean look at him as the sentry he has the common powers but amplifieied then think of him as the void he becomes even more powerful. 

also im pretty sure im allowed an opinon
#8 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course you are allowed your opinion. But was it really necessary to create a thread asking Marvel to keep a character dead that you hardly know anything about nor whose comics you have read?

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180 said:
" @spiderbat87: i have read a bit about him on comicvine and the marvel data base and i think he is way to over powerd.  i mean look at him as the sentry he has the common powers but amplifieied then think of him as the void he becomes even more powerful.  also im pretty sure im allowed an opinon "
if thats your only reason to dislike him what about Thor and Silver Surfer? 
#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: Or Superman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Gladiator,Captain Marvel, Black Adam and Thanos they're all more powerful than Sentry should they all be taken out for good too
#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @spiderbat87: Or Superman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Gladiator,Captain Marvel, Black Adam and Thanos they're all more powerful than Sentry should they all be taken out for good too "
Yea true dat. The Sentry's mini's where actly really good it was only after Bendis cough(prick)cough got a hold of him that the character was broken probably beyond repair, altho hopefully a great writer will take him under his wing sometime.
#12 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" Bring him back and have FadeToBlackBolt write him. :) "
You win the internet. Best idea I've heard in a while. 
#13 Posted by devilvert (30 posts) - - Show Bio

the sentry is the best thing to happen to marvel ever! favorite chracter with the silver surfer! DOUBLE S BABY! WOOOO 

obey the coffee and it shall reward you with angry comments back...

#14 Edited by Z3RO180 (6430 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87:
i never said i disliked him im just saying keep him dead or depowrr him a bit.
#15 Posted by Z3RO180 (6430 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:
and by the way this is a thread about the sentry based on my opinion of the charcters power level so whu on earth did u bring other characters in to this? 

ps. thanos is dead
#16 Posted by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

LONG LIVE THE SENTRY!!!! .........sorry I blacked out for a moment...how did I get here?  

Anyway the Sentry unlike Superman is interesting because of his mental instability, yes he is overpowered, but ultimately this is almost irrelevant due to his instability.  Let’s face it - he is almost as likely to beat up a hero as a villain if provoked.    

#17 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

easily the worst comic character in the past 10 years
#18 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

The Sentry was Marvel's best series of the last 20 years.

Then Bendis ****ed it up.

#19 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, what? I was just on the phone with Marvel Offices about doing the Sentry's return and then I saw this thread...I was THIS CLOSE to making such a gigantic mistake. Thanks guys. (:

@Dark Cell said:
"     LONG LIVE THE SENTRY!!!! .........sorry I blacked out for a moment...how did I get here?   Anyway the Sentry unlike Superman is interesting because of his mental instability, yes he is overpowered, but ultimately this is almost irrelevant due to his instability.  Let’s face it - he is almost as likely to beat up a hero as a villain if provoked.     "
Not at all. See: Dark Reign. What issue, you ask? All of them he appears in. Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Hercules, these are people he could have wrecked and held back.
#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180 said:
" @joshmightbe: and by the way this is a thread about the sentry based on my opinion of the charcters power level so whu on earth did u bring other characters in to this?  ps. thanos is dead "
to ask if the reason you dont like the sentry works for all power houses?
@Hoboseid said:
" easily the worst comic character in the past 10 years "
Did you read his original mini?
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" The Sentry was Marvel's best series of the last 20 years. Then Bendis ****ed it up. "
QFT
#21 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Marvel has had dozens of series in the past 10, let alone 20 years that were better than Jenkins' MK: Sentry, even though that mini was indeed very good.
#22 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" The Sentry was Marvel's best series of the last 20 years. Then Bendis ****ed it up. "
I know it's a matter of opinion...but Marvel's best series in the last 20 years? I'm a fan of Paul Jenkins' original series and the one-shots, but his second series pretty much blew, IMO. Even then I'm not sure the original was the best in the last 20 years. Maybe top 10. Maybe.
#23 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:

" @FadeToBlackBolt said:

I know it's a matter of opinion...but Marvel's best series in the last 20 years? I'm a fan of Paul Jenkins' original series and the one-shots, but his second series pretty much blew, IMO. Even then I'm not sure the original was the best in the last 20 years. Maybe top 10. Maybe. "
The second series sucked.
@Morpheus_:
@iLLituracy:
What do you guys reckon beat it? The only Marvel books I can think of that're better are DD: Born Again and Slott's Mighty Avengers (and I left the latter out as it's a run, not so much a self-contained trade length book).
#24 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:     I know it's cool to hate on Bendis since he's everywhere now (and I agree, his treatment of the Sentry was indeed quite poor), but his Daredevil or Ultimate Spider-Man work alone (and we're talking in-depth work for 70 and 150 issues respectively - not a 5 issue mini-series) blow Marvel Knights: Sentry out of the water. Not even touching anything else.

I have a list somewhere with the top 20-25 Marvel runs of the past decade, let me see if I can find it.
#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_: His Daredevil is phenomenal, I agree. But his Ultimate Spider-Man, to me, should only be applauded for its consistency. It was always very good, but never great.

Actually, Morrison's New X-Men is the best. Sorry, I forgot about that.
#26 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Oh, and Born Again is from 1987 (IIRC), therefore not in the past 20 years.
#27 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
" Oh, and Born Again is from 1987 (IIRC), therefore not in the past 20 years. "
Yeah, I know, that's why I said Sentry was the best of the last two decades, because otherwise Born Again beats it :)
#28 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Morrison's New X-Men is my # 2, but it's been a while since I compiled the list. Not saying my taste applies to everyone by any means, so we will of course differ, I just think awarding such an honour to a limited series rather diminishes the quality work Marvel has produced over the past 10 years.
#29 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: You couldn't have picked the worst possible time to ask me that question since I've been reading old DC stuff as of late. I think Hickman's SHIELD series edges the original Sentry mini out. I also favor Ellis' Nextwave series, Neil Gaiman's Eternals was slightly better. There was Daredevil's Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith which kind of really kicked off the character's modern depiction. Then again I haven't read Sentry's original series in a year or so but those are just the selections that are freshest on my mind, as well.
#30 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt: Morrison's New X-Men is my # 2, but it's been a while since I compiled the list. Not saying my taste applies to everyone by any means, so we will of course differ, I just think awarding such an honour to a limited series rather diminishes the quality work Marvel has produced over the past 10 years. "
My apologies, when I first said series, I meant trade length. I still think it's excellent, but you are correct, writing dozens of issues of great work surpasses several issues of brilliance.

I'm intrigued to hear your number one :)
#31 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Haha, incidentally my # 1 is Bendis' DD run. I'd rank Silver Surfer: Requiem as my favourite mini of the past few years, but that's just me. And there is also Annihilation, but it's more of a maxi-series, not a mini. Here's a few more, even though it's not in order (I can't find the proper list, I'm afraid)

Grant Morrison's New X-Men

Josh Whedon, and John Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men

Warren Ellis and Mike Deodato Jr's Thunderbolts

Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev's Daredevil

Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark's Daredevil

Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley's Ultimate Spider-Man

Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca's Invincible Iron Man

Matt Fraction/Ed Brubaker and David Aja's Immortal Iron Fist

Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting's Captain America

Mark Millar and Brian Hitch's Ultimates

Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors

J. Michael Straczynski and Olivier Coipel's Thor

J. Michael Straczynski and John Romita Jr's Amazing Spider-Man

Peter David's X-Factor

#32 Posted by Jake Fury (18319 posts) - - Show Bio

You know who I think could do wonders for the Sentry if they brought him back? J. Michael Straczynski. His take on Hyperion/Mark Milton in the Supreme Power series is one of my all time favorite comics.

Give the Sentry a Marvel MAX book where he's one of just a few superheroes on the planet or the only one and I bet JMS could turn it into gold.  

#33 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:
You win the internet. Best idea I've heard in a while.  "
Seconding this.
#34 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

" @InnerVenom123 said:

You win the internet. Best idea I've heard in a while.  "
How did I miss this exchange!? I love you both! ^_^
@rogue_mar1e:
  (hugs)
#35 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
From minis, I also forgot about Magneto: Testament.

@Jake Fury: I have meant to read his Supreme Power run (I already have it) but I haven't gotten to it yet.
#36 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt: Haha, incidentally my # 1 is Bendis' DD run. I'd rank Silver Surfer: Requiem as my favourite mini of the past few years, but that's just me. And there is also Annihilation, but it's more of a maxi-series, not a mini. Here's a few more, even though it's not in order (I can't find the proper list, I'm afraid)

Peter David's X-Factor

"
I am gonna have to agree with Bendis Daredevil and Immortal Iron Fist they where both amazing.@Jake Fury said:
"

You know who I think could do wonders for the Sentry if they brought him back? J. Michael Straczynski. His take on Hyperion/Mark Milton in the Supreme Power series is one of my all time favorite comics.

Give the Sentry a Marvel MAX book where he's one of just a few superheroes on the planet or the only one and I bet JMS could turn it into gold.  

"
Yea I think your right I loved Supreme Power
#37 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt: Haha, incidentally my # 1 is Bendis' DD run. I'd rank Silver Surfer: Requiem as my favourite mini of the past few years, but that's just me. And there is also Annihilation, but it's more of a maxi-series, not a mini. Here's a few more, even though it's not in order (I can't find the proper list, I'm afraid)

Peter David's X-Factor

"
I haven't finished Bendis' DD, though I want to. I just can't bring myself to buy anything with his name on it due to general principle atm. I really want to read Requiem, seems like my kind of story.

That's a great list. I'd replace Ultimate Spider-Man with Mighty Avengers by Slott and then we'd have the same. =]

The order would be different though, I'd imagine.
#38 Posted by Jake Fury (18319 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
"From minis, I also forgot about Magneto: Testament.

@Jake Fury: I have meant to read his Supreme Power run (I already have it) but I haven't gotten to it yet. "

The initial 18 issue run is magnificent. After that it seemed to lose focus when they changed the name back to Squadron Supreme. Then of course they tried to tie them together with the Ultimates and I threw in the white towel.
#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Requiem is pretty awesome in my opinion 
#40 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: Yeah, I want to read it.

Who wrote that Supreme Power book you're so fond of?
#41 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @spiderbat87: Yeah, I want to read it. Who wrote that Supreme Power book you're so fond of? "
Like Jake said Straczynski wrote
#42 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: Ah, sorry, I missed that. Thanks :)
#43 Posted by Jake Fury (18319 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @spiderbat87: Ah, sorry, I missed that. Thanks :) "

It's awesome. JMS also did a Dr. Strange mini that was excellent too.
#44 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: :D
#45 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. Keep him dead.
#46 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio

The story of Marvel

"Then Bendis ****ed it up. "
#47 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio
@hydrabob: I now simply refer to it as Bendising up a character 
#48 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:  LOL it's kinda all he does
#49 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" @hydrabob: I now simply refer to it as Bendising up a character  "
ah so true lol
#50 Posted by Loki9876 (2995 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree to most of you people sentry was a good character but then bendis came and you know what happend.
so bring him back but only when a really good writer is writing his series.
please marvel listen to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.