Just Saying: Sentry

Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

....ok. so....when Superman is strong and fast and nearly invincible.... thats too much for people. But Sentry pops up with the same powers/levels of strength, and then gets the massive cheapness that is molecular control on his side... and everyone's cool with that?

i hate superman. I've always seen him as a bit of a cheap character. But i've also always seen that he's really not as All Powerful as people always make him out to be. Superman is just lucky, just like every other superhero out there. he's lucky people strog enough to hurt him don't know how to fight.he's lucky theres always someone around to take kryptonite bullets out of him. he's lucky the guys who can kill him no problem (magic users specifically) are someone elses problem.
 But i havent seen anywhere near enough people mad about the Senrty's recent new "discovery". People on this site have actually said they stopped reading DC becuase Superman was the end all be all answer to most problems. But strangely, no one has said anything about leaving Marvel becuase Sentry just became the strongest character since Franklin Richards.
Just sayin.

#1 Posted by abeyance (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol NO..There was a big debate about what the sentry could do and stuff with Broly vs Sentry. I am not of fan of Sentry just like I am not a fan of Superman. They have these set power levels that nobody can match and when they do encounter somebody. They are defeated come back with no kind of working out and are some how stronger than said individual that mopped the floor with them last time. Plus Sentry's entire origin is just whack. I got my powers from a magical potion that bestows the strength of a billions suns or whatever. They need to take him out of marvel and put him in DC with all the other capes.

#2 Edited by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:

" Sentry pops up with the same powers/levels of strength, and then gets the massive cheapness that is molecular control on his side... and everyone's cool with that?"

No, myself and many other members of these forums have been saying that Sentry should be done away with for a long time. He is a terrible character who is consistently inconsistent, even though he is written almost exclusively by one writer. Examples:  http://www.comicvine.com/sentry/29-1454/kill-the-sentry/92-31201/#99 
http://www.comicvine.com/sentry/29-1454/what-to-do-with-sentry/92-382246/#57    
#3 Posted by Jake Malcom (3134 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry is just an overkill when u want a certain character to die an it make no sense they use Sentry

#4 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" ....ok. so....when Superman is strong and fast and nearly invincible.... thats too much for people. But Sentry pops up with the same powers/levels of strength, and then gets the massive cheapness that is molecular control on his side... and everyone's cool with that?  i hate superman. I've always seen him as a bit of a cheap character. But i've also always seen that he's really not as All Powerful as people always make him out to be. Superman is just lucky, just like every other superhero out there. he's lucky people strog enough to hurt him don't know how to fight.he's lucky theres always someone around to take kryptonite bullets out of him. he's lucky the guys who can kill him no problem (magic users specifically) are someone elses problem.  But i havent seen anywhere near enough people mad about the Senrty's recent new "discovery". People on this site have actually said they stopped reading DC becuase Superman was the end all be all answer to most problems. But strangely, no one has said anything about leaving Marvel becuase Sentry just became the strongest character since Franklin Richards. Just sayin. "
Sentry is still technically not up to par with Superman.Molecular Manipulation is not only not under his own control but he's been using it since Mighty Avengers.He just became able to understand it as of recently. 

Sentry is nowhere near Franklin Richards 
MARVEL still has characters that can beat Sentry solo 
BENDIS still has the plot device on him that depower him when ever he wants him to be weaker. 
It's under control.
#5 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
" @Vance Astro said:
got that right. not especially after Fantastic Four 574 where....

"
I must say, that's disappointing
#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Malcom said:
" Sentry is just an overkill when u want a certain character to die an it make no sense they use Sentry "
For all we know Molecule Man isn't dead.
#8 Posted by Rothschild (1311 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" @CATMANEXE said:
" @Vance Astro said:

...Franklin regains control of his powers.
"
I must say, that's disappointing "

Wha?! Youre not a fan of Franklin?
#9 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
" @Vance Astro said:

"
I totally called this. 

@Vance Astro  said:
I bet Siege will be the new Heroes Reborn.Franklin Richards may even get his powers back.But who is going to be Onslaught? Norman? LOL!
#10 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@Vance Astro  said:
I bet Siege will be the new Heroes Reborn.Franklin Richards may even get his powers back.But who is going to be Onslaught? Sentry? LOL!
"
hmmm...dark and light side, insinuated massive psychic powers, cant be destroyed,
insinuated can control matter, can control forms of energy?
#11 Posted by Edgehunter (33 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" ....ok. so....when Superman is strong and fast and nearly invincible.... thats too much for people. But Sentry pops up with the same powers/levels of strength, and then gets the massive cheapness that is molecular control on his side... and everyone's cool with that?  i hate superman. I've always seen him as a bit of a cheap character. But i've also always seen that he's really not as All Powerful as people always make him out to be. Superman is just lucky, just like every other superhero out there. he's lucky people strog enough to hurt him don't know how to fight.he's lucky theres always someone around to take kryptonite bullets out of him. he's lucky the guys who can kill him no problem (magic users specifically) are someone elses problem.  But i havent seen anywhere near enough people mad about the Senrty's recent new "discovery". People on this site have actually said they stopped reading DC becuase Superman was the end all be all answer to most problems. But strangely, no one has said anything about leaving Marvel becuase Sentry just became the strongest character since Franklin Richards. Just sayin. "
Maybe you should actually READ the comic,then it will make more sense.The less you know about Sentry the more ridiculous what he did in DA12 seems.
#12 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgehunter: ive been reading about his crap since New Avengers started ( i own and enjoy the first trade paperback). I know plenty. what am i missing that makes this ok? MM is almost impossible to defeat. Now Sentry (who has the invulnerability and strength and speed and super hearing of superman, the random retarded telepathy ranging from kitty pride/lockheed levels to professor X levels depending on the weather, hulk-dropping radiation powers, and when-it-counts resurrection powers) is toting his powers? Dont give me the "he's not that good at it" bull. he took out a guy who has been dominating for over a decade with his own power within seconds of knowing how to use it. I dont care if MM isnt dead or not. he beat him.  If some magnetic guy took out magneto, you would call him the new master. i see no difference here. 
  but please, tell me what it is that makes this not ridiculous.
#13 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

personally i think the nature of his powers hasnt been uncovered. though theyve told us, thats changed a few times,
and i think its misdirection. then theyll (surprise) lay the truth on us, and it probably wont be all that spectacular.

#14 Posted by Edgehunter (33 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" @Edgehunter: ive been reading about his crap since New Avengers started ( i own and enjoy the first trade paperback). I know plenty. what am i missing that makes this ok? MM is almost impossible to defeat. Now Sentry (who has the invulnerability and strength and speed and super hearing of superman, the random retarded telepathy ranging from kitty pride/lockheed levels to professor X levels depending on the weather, hulk-dropping radiation powers, and when-it-counts resurrection powers) is toting his powers? Dont give me the "he's not that good at it" bull. he took out a guy who has been dominating for over a decade with his own power within seconds of knowing how to use it. I dont care if MM isnt dead or not. he beat him.  If some magnetic guy took out magneto, you would call him the new master. i see no difference here.   but please, tell me what it is that makes this not ridiculous. "
Obviously you don't know plenty.Even reading the Dark Avengers arc that lead up to this would give you more info about this then you seem to know.First of all,Sentry's powers haven't been fully uncovered so to act as if this just a plot device when Bendis and Jenkins had been setting Sentry up for this moment for quite a while is ridiculous.

Second of all Molecular Manipulation as far as we know is an ability that Sentry has only used when the Void has been in control of him.He first used it when he resurrected his wife.Every time after that..all the times he seemingly brought him back from the dead..that was the Void doing what Sentry couldn't.

Sentry have never shown to have telepathy.Not a single official source claims he has it.Not even he even said he has telepathy.The only person who who has made any reference to his telepathic abilities are Xavier and Emma Frost.Neither of which made claim that he could use telepathy only that he has powerful mental blocks.The only telepathic thing he has ever done was implant his memories into Paul Jenkins and Erase everyone on Earth's memories both of which there is no proof he actually did.

He doesn't have the speed,strength,or super hearing of Superman.He's far lower in comparison than Superman in all areas.He also doesn't have resurrection powers or Hulk-dropping-radiation powers.His resurrections were molecular manipulation and his he took down the Hulk by projecting his light aura on to Hulk which calmed him down.If you mean during World War Hulk..the Fire Tornado that depowered Hulk momentarily..that was him releasing his daily intake of energy he absorbed from the sun.

It seems you just want to whine about what Sentry is doing instead of trying to understand the character.He's ridiculously powerful and I can give you that but he's not overpowered.He's took his share of bumps along the way and there are several earth heroes with feats in which level he hasn't reached.Hercules,Hulk,Scarlet Witch,etc.

You can't compare someone random coming in and beating Magneto at his own game to what Sentry did.How Sentry's abilities work were never fully laid out to begin with.What makes this not ridiculous is the fact that like much of Sentry's other abilities..Phasing,Intangibility,Telepathy etc. Sentry may never use this again.He's not in control of himself right now.
#15 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgehunter: you can look back on all of what you said in a few months and laugh at how ridiculous it sounds. 
 whether or not it will stay that way, everything i said above is Currently fact. Just like how it was fact Wolverine didnt have a son until the comics said he did. The comics have said at one point or another that he had the powers above, and they have yet to tell us anything to make us belive those powers are tricks or exaggerations. And just because he may never use them again doesnt mean he cant. Once upon a time Superman pulled the moon, and even though DC hasnt portrayed him as anywhere near that powerful in over 10 years, its still how half the people on this site see him. Sentry did (or reveled/had reveled to him that he could do) all these things all within the last 4 years.  superman does not have the power of even ONE exploding sun. he never has. So dont try and say Supes is more powerful on any front. he,s not. 
 and i dont care. when someone beats the champ, their the champ. That was the whole point of that little story with MM, to show that Sentry was the new molectular manipulation top dog.

superman does not have the power of even ONE exploding sun. he never has. So dont try and say Supes is more powerful on any front. he,s not.

Sentry's crazy powers may be part of some Bendis master plan (though i doubt it and fear any idea Bendis decides to sit on for 4 years),but the facts are for the past 4+ years Marvel has been building an Uberman, and he is highly overpowered on several fronts.

if you really want to convince me or anyone else that Sentry isnt that powerful, the first step is to go ahead and change his profile on this site. im sick of people with profiles created less than 48 hours ago jumping into these threads and spewing nonsense. cuz you pretty much just said that everything we know about Sentry is a lie, and thats why he's not a cheap character.
#16 Posted by Edgehunter (33 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" @Edgehunter: you can look back on all of what you said in a few months and laugh at how ridiculous it sounds. 
 whether or not it will stay that way, everything i said above is Currently fact. Just like how it was fact Wolverine didnt have a son until the comics said he did. The comics have said at one point or another that he had the powers above, and they have yet to tell us anything to make us belive those powers are tricks or exaggerations. And just because he may never use them again doesnt mean he cant. Once upon a time Superman pulled the moon, and even though DC hasnt portrayed him as anywhere near that powerful in over 10 years, its still how half the people on this site see him. Sentry did (or reveled/had reveled to him that he could do) all these things all within the last 4 years.  superman does not have the power of even ONE exploding sun. he never has. So dont try and say Supes is more powerful on any front. he,s not.   and i dont care. when someone beats the champ, their the champ. That was the whole point of that little story with MM, to show that Sentry was the new molectular manipulation top dog.  superman does not have the power of even ONE exploding sun. he never has. So dont try and say Supes is more powerful on any front. he,s not.   Sentry's crazy powers may be part of some Bendis master plan (though i doubt it and fear any idea Bendis decides to sit on for 4 years),but the facts are for the past 4+ years Marvel has been building an Uberman, and he is highly overpowered on several fronts.  if you really want to convince me or anyone else that Sentry isnt that powerful, the first step is to go ahead and change his profile on this site. im sick of people with profiles created less than 48 hours ago jumping into these threads and spewing nonsense. cuz you pretty much just said that everything we know about Sentry is a lie, and thats why he's not a cheap character. "
 That doesn't make any sense.Why would I look back at what I said and laugh.I said it because it's either fact or my opinion based on what I know about the character.Maybe you didn't understand what I said.

Instead of taking the time to write out a long post that you will just prove to not understand again.I'll just list all the things wrong with this post.

1.Everything you said wasn't "Currently Fact" there are simply things in you posts that are false on any level and I corrected you on them.If you don't remember,read my post again.
2.The Appearence of Daken is nothing like this.This is more along the lines of Cap's death.They killed him off with the intention of bringing him back.In Sentry's case they gave him these powers with the intentions of explaining them later.He's already used them so it's not like they just randomly popped up.If you been reading like you've claimed to..you would know that.
3.This Superman analogy also doesn't fit.You're comparing Superman not using a power he uses all the time and everyone knows he has to the best of his ability to Sentry not using certain powers at all.
4.Sentry doesn't have the power of any suns either.Again if you've actually been reading comics the characters appears in you would know this.Superman IS still more powerful than Sentry.Hell almost all the Kryptonians are....and that's based on recent feats.
5.Why would I change his profile on this site when it's right? Nothing in his bio proves he is that powerful.Since you think you know so much about who Sentry can and cannot beat..take it to battle forums and get embarrassed.
6.I've been here for longer than you have.Don't look at my post count and assume that i'm new.
#17 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgehunter: 

this is all from Sentry's profile:

The Sentry is one of the most powerful superheroes in the Marvel Universe. His own personal statements of his power often have him stating that he has the power equal to one thousand or one million exploding suns. 

Sentry also possesses super speed. This allows him to perform such feats as catching a bullet and flying from the Earth to the Sun and back in a matter of minutes. (Superman takes about the same amount of time)

It has also been observed that Sentry has extremely heightened senses. This is evidenced by Sentry's statement that he could literally hear the heartbeat of a butterfly in Africa while he himself was still in New York.
(Superman's hearing may be slightly better, but i cant think of anyone else with even near that level)
Sentry is also one of the few superhumans to be considered invincible. Other than his fragile mind, SHIELD and even Iron Man have not been able to find any other areas of physical vulnerability. (Superman isnt consider invincible. He's highly invulnerable, but he bleeds easy enough, and kryptonite/ magic/red sunlight all beat his butt)

According to Emma Frost, Sentry is one of the most powerful telepaths on earth. Once, he wiped the memory of every person on the planet of knowledge regarding his existence. Most of Sentry's mental abilities are used to maintain his physical form. (Telepathy means your a telepath, When Proff X and Emma Frost call someone a powerful telepath, you dont call their bluff.) 

Under extreme emotional distress, Sentry can resurrect another being. This was first manifested when Sentry brought his wife back to life by just his touch. Originally, he was not even aware that he had this ability. He was shocked that he even had it. Even now, Sentry does not have full control over this power just yet. He could also emit a wave of radiation that can calm the Hulk down

If what you say is right, much of that needs updating. but you sir, on top of being wrong about half of what you say, are missing what im saying.
 Sentry is too powerful. he has too much power. He is Superman, mm, and  a powerful tk roled into one. I dont care that he doesnt remember who he is, or that some of his powers arent under control. If he and Superman duked it out tomorrow, he would beat Superman's ass. 
His flashbang of radiation (or "Aura"). His molecular manipulation that can be used both offensively and defensively. his strength and speed. He and Superman might go at it for a while, but really those first two powers are enough to drop Superman.  the bottom line is, for whatever reason, Marvel has made Sentry a character with nearly unlimited power.  and very few of you "True Believers" seem to mind, even though  many of you hate Superman and DC for the same reason.

And ive been using this site for almost 3 years. im not sure if you've been on longer than that or not, but your profile says you've been here for like 2 days.
#18 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

I think, or at least hope that the upgrading of Sentry's powers just shows that his character is only going to be around temporarily. Someone this powerful just can't be allowed to stick around.

#19 Posted by Edgehunter (33 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" @Edgehunter: 

this is all from Sentry's profile:

The Sentry is one of the most powerful superheroes in the Marvel Universe. His own personal statements of his power often have him stating that he has the power equal to one thousand or one million exploding suns. 

Sentry also possesses super speed. This allows him to perform such feats as catching a bullet and flying from the Earth to the Sun and back in a matter of minutes. (Superman takes about the same amount of time)

It has also been observed that Sentry has extremely heightened senses. This is evidenced by Sentry's statement that he could literally hear the heartbeat of a butterfly in Africa while he himself was still in New York.
(Superman's hearing may be slightly better, but i cant think of anyone else with even near that level)
Sentry is also one of the few superhumans to be considered invincible. Other than his fragile mind, SHIELD and even Iron Man have not been able to find any other areas of physical vulnerability. (Superman isnt consider invincible. He's highly invulnerable, but he bleeds easy enough, and kryptonite/ magic/red sunlight all beat his butt)

According to Emma Frost, Sentry is one of the most powerful telepaths on earth. Once, he wiped the memory of every person on the planet of knowledge regarding his existence. Most of Sentry's mental abilities are used to maintain his physical form. (Telepathy means your a telepath, When Proff X and Emma Frost call someone a powerful telepath, you dont call their bluff.) 

Under extreme emotional distress, Sentry can resurrect another being. This was first manifested when Sentry brought his wife back to life by just his touch. Originally, he was not even aware that he had this ability. He was shocked that he even had it. Even now, Sentry does not have full control over this power just yet. He could also emit a wave of radiation that can calm the Hulk down

If what you say is right, much of that needs updating. but you sir, on top of being wrong about half of what you say, are missing what im saying.  Sentry is too powerful. he has too much power. He is Superman, mm, and  a powerful tk roled into one. I dont care that he doesnt remember who he is, or that some of his powers arent under control. If he and Superman duked it out tomorrow, he would beat Superman's ass.  His flashbang of radiation (or "Aura"). His molecular manipulation that can be used both offensively and defensively. his strength and speed. He and Superman might go at it for a while, but really those first two powers are enough to drop Superman.  the bottom line is, for whatever reason, Marvel has made Sentry a character with nearly unlimited power.  and very few of you "True Believers" seem to mind, even though  many of you hate Superman and DC for the same reason.  And ive been using this site for almost 3 years. im not sure if you've been on longer than that or not, but your profile says you've been here for like 2 days. "
Have you been reading comics with Sentry in them or not? What the CV profile says doesn't mean anything.Facts are facts and CV pages are written by us an therefore not always right.Maybe if you got your information from reading and not a fan edited page you would know what you're talking about.

NOW....to shut down your Superman comparisons.
1.Sentry isn't invincible either.His face got blown off a few issues back.A little green rock may depower Superman but Anti-Matter does the same to Sentry.They both have a weakness.Sentry was depowered in New Avengers too by Dr.Harrow.He was also depowered in World War Hulk when he released all his energy.Superman can't depower himself like that.
2.Sentry is still in Mach speeds,Superman is FTL.They are nowhere near each other in speed.In fact there are several Marvel earth heroes faster than Sentry.
3.Professor X claimed that Sentry's mind couldn't be invaded via telepathy unless he allowed it..yet it's happened 3 times.I'm calling Emma and X's bluff.He's never used telepathy.

It's you who doesn't know what they are talking about.Not me.And no i'm not missing what you're are saying.You are claiming that Sentry is overpowered when all he has done is lose and fight below his ability for quite a while.He just fought Namor and didn't leave a scratch,he lost to Iron Man,a weapon Noh-Varr gave to his wife got his face blown off,he just fought Noh-Varr and could barely hold his own despite Noh-Varr being vastly inferior to him in every aspect of ability.He even got knocked out by Ms.Marvel.He isn't Superman.They don't have the same EXACT abilities and Sentry certainly doesn't have any of the same abilities on Superman's level.Superman can likely lift Sentry's max for a work out. And where are you getting TK from.Sentry doesn't have TK.I'm not going to sit here and debate with you whether Sentry would beat Superman.As I said in my last post...take it to battle forums.Anyone who knows anything about both characters can tell you they aren't on the same level.And for the second time the aura he used against Hulk calmed the Hulk..he didn't hurt or really beat the Hulk physically.He just made Hulk lose the will to fight.Superman isn't the Hulk and therefore that will not work.Supes and Sentry going at it for a while is also ridiculous.Did you see what World War Hulk did to Sentry's face? How is he going to last with someone alot stronger than that? Stop digging a whole for yourself.The more you post the more I can tell you either don't read comics and get all your info from scans and internet sources or you do read comics but don't retain anything.

Stop jockin my post count.This is a new account.I HAVE been here longer than you.
#20 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceIMC said:
"I think, or at least hope that the upgrading of Sentry's powers just shows that his character is only going to be around temporarily. Someone this powerful just can't be allowed to stick around. "

True. Marvel's supreme powerhouses don't usually go on for very long without dying (Jean Grey, anyone?). It's just not Marvel's style to keep them around and let them finish every fight.
#21 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edgehunter: 
so the profile is wrong? just making sure. Man, its tough to  follow all of your back tracking.

Superman's not faster than light. At one point, when he could move the moon and travel back in time, he was. But the Flash stays away from Faster than Light speed cuz it dangerous for them (you know...they turn into speedforce), and he still outstrips superman. Flash runs at mach speeds normaly, and superman flies at roughly the same speeds. every once in a while he can push it, but  be doesnt normally, and he cant do it for long.

ill accept your other two explanations becuase i DONT read every last comic with Sentry in it, just his Avengers stuff every now and then. But if your right that means Marvel is screwing with their own explanations of him, which makes it more likely to believe he's just a plot device. I mean, Xavier isnt often wrong about peoples Telepathy powers. so either Sentry allowed it and im right, or im wrong and Marvel just said "f@CK what Xavier said about telepathy". Either way, marvel sucks.

the rest of your comparisons are whatever. i took your adivice and when to the Battle forums. All of the Superman vs. Sentry threads pretty much said Superman wins becuase he's been around longer and Sentrys crazy(not really about the fighting styles or strengths). but then i found what i was looking for.
 you know vance astro:
  http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/proof-that-the-sentry-is-more-powerful-than-you-think/25126/#24

never seen that before today. Kinda prove some more of the points ive been saying though.
#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" @Edgehunter: 
so the profile is wrong? just making sure. Man, its tough to  follow all of your back tracking.

Superman's not faster than light. At one point, when he could move the moon and travel back in time, he was. But the Flash stays away from Faster than Light speed cuz it dangerous for them (you know...they turn into speedforce), and he still outstrips superman. Flash runs at mach speeds normaly, and superman flies at roughly the same speeds. every once in a while he can push it, but  be doesnt normally, and he cant do it for long.

ill accept your other two explanations becuase i DONT read every last comic with Sentry in it, just his Avengers stuff every now and then. But if your right that means Marvel is screwing with their own explanations of him, which makes it more likely to believe he's just a plot device. I mean, Xavier isnt often wrong about peoples Telepathy powers. so either Sentry allowed it and im right, or im wrong and Marvel just said "f@CK what Xavier said about telepathy". Either way, marvel sucks.

the rest of your comparisons are whatever. i took your adivice and when to the Battle forums. All of the Superman vs. Sentry threads pretty much said Superman wins becuase he's been around longer and Sentrys crazy(not really about the fighting styles or strengths). but then i found what i was looking for.
 you know vance astro:
  http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/proof-that-the-sentry-is-more-powerful-than-you-think/25126/#24

never seen that before today. Kinda prove some more of the points ive been saying though. "
My thread was mostly false.I hadn't read Sentry's mini series at that point.Alot was explained their. 
All I want to say is though..for the record Superman is FTL and has been for quite some time and also if Marvel sucks...why do you keep reading their comics? Oh and one more thing.I just debated in a Superman vs. Sentry thread.I don't think anyone's defense of why Superman would beat Sentry was Sentry's insanity.Superman is superior to Sentry in just about every area.The only think he really has is molecular manipulation which is the Void's power not Sentry's.
#23 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus said:
" @PrinceIMC said:
"I think, or at least hope that the upgrading of Sentry's powers just shows that his character is only going to be around temporarily. Someone this powerful just can't be allowed to stick around. "
True. Marvel's supreme powerhouses don't usually go on for very long without dying (Jean Grey, anyone?). It's just not Marvel's style to keep them around and let them finish every fight. "
Jean and Sentry are different.Sentry is more like The Hulk.His power is unlimited based on one variable that probably will never go away.
#24 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: this "the voids power" argument doesnt make sense to me, becuase the Sentry and the Void are the same person. Obviously the Sentry will always be capable of everything the void is, he's just blocking it with his own mind. And it has been shown countless times throughout his existance that in any clutch moment he can just bypass that mental block and take whatever powers he needs. 
 thats why i used your thread. becuase it was pretty much showing everything both of them can do. And especially if Molecular manipulation is a void power that Sentry has been using on and off, it kinda proves my point.

when i was searching Superman/Senrty i came across like 6 other battle threads, and all of them had people either not explaining or saying Sentry's split mind makes him less powerful. 
idk. like i said, i only read his Avengers stuff. What exactly happened in his mini that made all of that suddenly inaccurate?
#25 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" @Vance Astro: this "the voids power" argument doesnt make sense to me, becuase the Sentry and the Void are the same person. Obviously the Sentry will always be capable of everything the void is, he's just blocking it with his own mind. And it has been shown countless times throughout his existance that in any clutch moment he can just bypass that mental block and take whatever powers he needs.   thats why i used your thread. becuase it was pretty much showing everything both of them can do. And especially if Molecular manipulation is a void power that Sentry has been using on and off, it kinda proves my point.  when i was searching Superman/Senrty i came across like 6 other battle threads, and all of them had people either not explaining or saying Sentry's split mind makes him less powerful.  idk. like i said, i only read his Avengers stuff. What exactly happened in his mini that made all of that suddenly inaccurate? "
They aren't the same person.The Void isn't even a person. 
It's kind of hard to explain but this is what I got from the miniseries. 

1.Robert Reynolds,Sentry,and The Void are 3 different entities.How do I know? Because they have all been seen in 3 different places and been seen together in the same place as two different beings. 
2.Robert Reynolds is the one with the mental problems,Sentry is the all powerful hero,and the Void is the part that is supposed to even Sentry it out.It's not a person or a being just a portion of Sentry's powers he cannot control.This is why Classic Sentry is more powerful than the current Sentry.After Sentry merged with Reynolds after "killing the Void" he inherited his mental problems.As stated in the Marvel handbook.Sentry's powers are unlimited with mental stability.Since he's insane,he cannot be as powerful as he once was.
3.Now..the Sentry,The Void and Robert are one now,However Sentry and the Void have different powers and weaknesses.When the Sentry is too weak,to pissed off,or too mentally drained to control the host.The Void takes over.It also seems that the the Void in control of Sentry has a better understanding of his abilities and also has it's own memories. 
4.Sentry is not capable of everything the Void is.As shown throughout the Void's appearences he has several powers than Sentry has not shown to have (Weather Manipulation,Shapeshifting,Projection of Dark matter etc.) 
5.Also the Void appears to be able to rival Sentry more on it's own rather than when it's in control of the host. 

There are several blanks I cannot fill in as far as Sentry's powers but as far as I know the Void and Sentry ARE in fact two different entities. 
Sentry's "split mind" doesn't make him less powerful.His mental instability does.Either way even before he was insane he wasn't shown to be more powerful than Supes.
#26 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

....how powerful do you guys think superman is?
 Superman Prime is the uberhero. He is all of those powers Superman USED to have. Now, Superman is far less. Dc has been trying to play him closer to the "more powerful than a locomotive/ able to leap tall buildings" power levels for years now. All of DC hs been powered down.

whatever. im sure when this earth/Krypton war finally hits, we'll get some insight as to where kryptonian powers are. 

but im sorry. It still just seems like Void and Sentry are the same guy with some really powerful power separating/connecting them.

#27 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Grim said:
" @Vance Astro: this "the voids power" argument doesnt make sense to me, becuase the Sentry and the Void are the same person. Obviously the Sentry will always be capable of everything the void is, he's just blocking it with his own mind. And it has been shown countless times throughout his existance that in any clutch moment he can just bypass that mental block and take whatever powers he needs.   thats why i used your thread. becuase it was pretty much showing everything both of them can do. And especially if Molecular manipulation is a void power that Sentry has been using on and off, it kinda proves my point.  when i was searching Superman/Senrty i came across like 6 other battle threads, and all of them had people either not explaining or saying Sentry's split mind makes him less powerful.  idk. like i said, i only read his Avengers stuff. What exactly happened in his mini that made all of that suddenly inaccurate? "
They aren't the same person.The Void isn't even a person. It's kind of hard to explain but this is what I got from the miniseries.  1.Robert Reynolds,Sentry,and The Void are 3 different entities.How do I know? Because they have all been seen in 3 different places and been seen together in the same place as two different beings. 2.Robert Reynolds is the one with the mental problems,Sentry is the all powerful hero,and the Void is the part that is supposed to even Sentry it out.It's not a person or a being just a portion of Sentry's powers he cannot control.This is why Classic Sentry is more powerful than the current Sentry.After Sentry merged with Reynolds after "killing the Void" he inherited his mental problems.As stated in the Marvel handbook.Sentry's powers are unlimited with mental stability.Since he's insane,he cannot be as powerful as he once was.3.Now..the Sentry,The Void and Robert are one now,However Sentry and the Void have different powers and weaknesses.When the Sentry is too weak,to pissed off,or too mentally drained to control the host.The Void takes over.It also seems that the the Void in control of Sentry has a better understanding of his abilities and also has it's own memories. 4.Sentry is not capable of everything the Void is.As shown throughout the Void's appearences he has several powers than Sentry has not shown to have (Weather Manipulation,Shapeshifting,Projection of Dark matter etc.) 5.Also the Void appears to be able to rival Sentry more on it's own rather than when it's in control of the host.  There are several blanks I cannot fill in as far as Sentry's powers but as far as I know the Void and Sentry ARE in fact two different entities. Sentry's "split mind" doesn't make him less powerful.His mental instability does.Either way even before he was insane he wasn't shown to be more powerful than Supes. "
i endorse this.
#28 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" ....how powerful do you guys think superman is?  Superman Prime is the uberhero. He is all of those powers Superman USED to have. Now, Superman is far less. Dc has been trying to play him closer to the "more powerful than a locomotive/ able to leap tall buildings" power levels for years now. All of DC hs been powered down.  whatever. im sure when this earth/Krypton war finally hits, we'll get some insight as to where kryptonian powers are.   but im sorry. It still just seems like Void and Sentry are the same guy with some really powerful power separating/connecting them. "
I can't call it.I don't know how powerful to actually say he is.I do know for a fact that he is more powerful than Sentry as far as physical ability is concerned.Now Sentry has several things attached to his character that may some day put him beyond Superman but for now he's just a weaker clone.I've seen Superman do things recently with physical ability that Sentry couldn't.Just because he hasn't pulled a planet or a moon as of late doesn't mean he can't still do it.

As far as the Void and Sentry are concerned..in theory they ARE the same guy because they were created from the same host.They do however have their own personality,powers,and memories.It wasn't until recently that the Void and Sentry shared the same host. 

If you're looking for more information on the character I would suggest his miniseries and Dark Avengers #14 coming soon.DA #14 is supposed to reveal alot about Sentry.
#29 Posted by Walker696 (984 posts) - - Show Bio

Trust me I feel you on both parts, I just started to like the Sentry again and now he's suppose to be all powerful out the blue. Stuff like that kills a franchise and it made me officially give up on the Dark Avenger books. This is a common mistake that creators make but I'm hoping its leading to something and not just being done for the hell of it.

#30 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Walker696 said:
" Trust me I feel you on both parts, I just started to like the Sentry again and now he's suppose to be all powerful out the blue. Stuff like that kills a franchise and it made me officially give up on the Dark Avenger books. This is a common mistake that creators make but I'm hoping its leading to something and not just being done for the hell of it. "
That's the point everyone keeps missing.He's not "ALL POWERFUL" nor is this out of the blue.He only demonstrated a power he already used and had and on top of it was already arguably the most powerful being on earth.So why are people making a big deal out of nothing?
#31 Posted by Walker696 (984 posts) - - Show Bio

I think most people are lashing onto Sentry because they are looking for that one person to be the "Marvel Superman" but they are doing it at the expense of their other characters and it's very frustrating. If he stayed at the power level he was at when he fought WWH I would have been happy, but no they wanna make him all of a sudden realize he can do new stuff. He is way over powered and is in need a serious power down. I just thought about it, what happened to Blue Marvel, we wasn't as powerful as Sentry but he was able to stick with him in a toe to toe fight but people just dismissed him all together.

#32 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@Walker696 said:
" I think most people are lashing onto Sentry because they are looking for that one person to be the "Marvel Superman" but they are doing it at the expense of their other characters and it's very frustrating. If he stayed at the power level he was at when he fought WWH I would have been happy, but no they wanna make him all of a sudden realize he can do new stuff. He is way over powered and is in need a serious power down. I just thought about it, what happened to Blue Marvel, we wasn't as powerful as Sentry but he was able to stick with him in a toe to toe fight but people just dismissed him all together. "
The level he was at when he fought World War Hulk isn't even the highest level he's been at since he first appeared? 
Also why do people insist on believing this molecular manipulation thing is new.He's already used them.These aren't new powers. 
Why do people also insist on giving that power to Sentry when it's the Void who actually has the power.Every time it's been used the Void was in control of the host (Robert Reynolds). 
How is someone who can still lose to plenty of people in the Marvel U overpowered?  
Blue Marvel was never proven to be as powerful as the Sentry,there were variables in their showings.Either way,we don't know what happened to him.Nobody dismissed Blue Marvel,he's a new character and he hasn't really done much nor does he appear in any on going titles.
#33 Edited by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim:

Have they proven the Sentry has the power of all the exploding suns. As far as I knew I just kinda thought it was a tag line like last son of Krypton. If he had those powers and remotly unleashed a percentage of it, wouldn't it be devestating to the galaxy. I'm just curious. What do you think? 

Oh and by the way I totally agree with you on how DC has depowered Superman. Even the Death of Superman was a depowered version.
#34 Posted by Vance Astro (91067 posts) - - Show Bio
@They Killed Cap! said:
" @Grim: Have they proven the Sentry has the power of all the exploding suns. As far as I knew I just kinda thought it was a tag line like last son of Krypton. If he had those powers and remotly unleashed a percentage of it, wouldn't it be devestating to the galaxy. I'm just curious. What do you think?  Oh and by the way I totally agree with you on how DC has depowered Superman. Even the Death of Superman was a depowered version. "
They don't have to prove it.It's not meant to be taken seriously.It's a hyperbole.
#35 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:
Yeah...that was kinda my point. But I wasn't 100% sure.
#36 Posted by Emerald_General_Jai (2306 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, this entire thread can be summed up in a simple statement. Ready? Here goes: SENTRY SUCKS!!! Thank you.
#37 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

is Sentry always dead?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.