If he returns........

#1 Posted by davidkenneth (443 posts) - - Show Bio

..would you like writers to elaborate more on the character's orgins and powers and also why they mucked up other character's history like Rogue's and Reed's just to make him seem better?

#2 Edited by Blackreverend (138 posts) - - Show Bio
@davidkenneth said:

..would you like writers to elaborate more on the character's orgins and powers and also

why they mucked up other character's history like Rogue's and Reed's just to make him seem better?

Actually I'd love and pay for them to do that! Technically he's a super soldier! And that's what I love about him... he represents every man's potential because the serum is meant to enhance human abilities IMO not necessarily give them.
I would like to see him use more of his abilities... mental and physical! I also think that elaborating on his origins could reveal the real mastermind behind the concentrated serum. That scientist must have been a genius! Where is he now?

Secondly I was hoping you could fill me in on what I missed... How is the Sentry linked to Reed and Rogue?
#3 Edited by davidkenneth (443 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blackreverend
He was supposedly Reed's best friend and he had some kind of relationship with Rogue hinting that they may have had sex even though they weren't ever seen together.
#4 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4740 posts) - - Show Bio

I say they retcon his character, something along the lines of a sinister plot to replace him with a Super Skrull who found the amulet of Muab'dib, yadda yadda.

#5 Posted by davidkenneth (443 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe
I think the same thing.
#6 Posted by SuperXAsh (510 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like for them to hammer out a good f'n origin, a SET list of abilities, stop the constant "ONOS teh Void!!11" crap, and MAYBE delve more into his pre-Void adventures. What else was forgotten when he erased knowledge of himself from the world? Did this have some negative effects on his enemies?? friends?? Did they suddenly have no idea what had happened to themselves during that time period??? 

If I WERE to bring him back I'd have it done using the Forever Crystal and use said crystal to seperate Sentry from the Void. So we can actually see the character develop.

#7 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@davidkenneth said:
..would you like writers to elaborate more on the character's orgins and powers and also why they mucked up other character's history like Rogue's and Reed's just to make him seem better?
Yeah, that's not what happened.
#8 Posted by davidkenneth (443 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt
Thanks for commenting but what exactly do you mean?
#9 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@davidkenneth: Their history's weren't messed with to make the Sentry seem better. Whilst the Rogue moment is very unpopular, it made sense, pre-Bendis, the Sentry was shown to only be in his mid-20s. Him sleeping with Rogue was a perfectly valid event, and since he was the greatest hero in the MU, and was immune to her powers, her sleeping with him made sense too. 

His friendship with Reed was there since the beginning, and actually adds a lot to Reed's character. It makes sense as to why he's so distant, his best friend's non-existence left a (no-pun intended) void in his life.
#10 Posted by davidkenneth (443 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt
KInda does since for the most part it is most believed that Gambit was Rogue's first therefore saying that "For along time he was the only one I could touch" since it's implying that Sentry is Rogue's first. And to me it makes Ben's best friend relationship with Reed seem like so much less by saying that Sentry was his best friend especially because they knew each other since their college days unless I'm mistaken and it was even before that. At least with a character like Blue Marvel he knew like one other hero but for Sentry to have so many profound experiences with characters who had these relationships with other characters, lessen the value of their relationships.
#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@davidkenneth: I understand what you're saying with Rogue, but as I've said before, I think it was done so that just one character would have a fond memory of the Sentry after Bendis so royally destroyed him. 

Reed was Bob's best friend, but Ben was still Reed's  if you know what I mean. It was different kinds of friendships. Ben is family to Reed, Bob was just a great friend.
#12 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

If they ever do bring him back they need to clarify the heck out of his abilities and his backstory, and never let Bendis anywhere near that character again.   It's not that Sentry was a bad character, it's just that he was handled so incredibly poorly. If they decide to use him again they really need to have a better game plan to keep from muddling up the character again.   I would like to see him again....eventually.  It would be interesting if he came back and for some reason no one remembered him.

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
If they ever do bring him back they need to clarify the heck out of his abilities and his backstory, and never let Bendis anywhere near that character again.   It's not that Sentry was a bad character, it's just that he was handled so incredibly poorly. If they decide to use him again they really need to have a better game plan to keep from muddling up the character again.   I would like to see him again....eventually.  It would be interesting if he came back and for some reason no one remembered him.
Not to plug myself, but did you read my Sentry: From the Ashes script? I tried to reconcile much of the issues you just mentioned.
#14 Posted by davidkenneth (443 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt
Still I just don't like what writers did to the character and I think that if he were to come back then they should establish a better background and go more indepth into his relationships with other character's so as not to alienate the readers who in some cases already consider the Sentry to be just some fluke.
#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@davidkenneth
http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/fadetoblackbolt/sentry-1-from-the-ashes-script/87-68493/

That's the script I wrote for the character. It's post-Siege, but is more in line with the first Sentry series. I also try to explain his powers, and why the Void exists.
#16 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

can some one tell me does he really have the power of a million suns cause that makes him technically speaking the most powerful superhero in existence

#17 Posted by Wise Son (1772 posts) - - Show Bio
I would like Carnage to get some revenge.
#18 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@higher_evolutionary said:
can some one tell me does he really have the power of a million suns cause that makes him technically speaking the most powerful superhero in existence
He is the most powerful non-reality warper in existence.
#19 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
then why does he get hit a lot
bad writing?
#20 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

then why does he get hit a lot bad writing?
Yep. Bendis and Pak both had him severely weakened in their respective stories. 

In his original series, when the Void showed up, the Marvel Heroes literally conceded defeat and just said "**** it, we're dead". That's guy like Thor and the Hulk just giving up because they know they're outclassed. In his second series, he took down Terrax with one hand, stopping his axe mid-strike with zero effort. He also overloaded the Absorbing Man, who was able to absorb a Cosmic Cube without fail, by simply powering up slightly; causing the Absorbing Man to vanish.
#21 Edited by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Green Skin said:

Not to plug myself, but did you read my Sentry: From the Ashes script? I tried to reconcile much of the issues you just mentioned.
Found it!  Gonna give it a read.
#22 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin: Cool, I hope you enjoy it :)
#23 Posted by Enzeru (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

What I liked about the Sentry was something that Paul Jenkins also liked about the character and said that he even more enjoyed it then writing about Superman.

I liked that the Sentry was a hero, who wasn't bothering that much with cosmic threats at the beginning. He was that guy with awesome powers and flied from point A to point B to save innocent people. That was realistic to me. That was everything I wanted to see in a superhero-comic book, because it was easy to relate to. It was easy to identify with.

When I look at the Fantastic Four, or the Avengers... I'm never impressed. They mostly all have specific powers like turning invisible, turning into fire or streching or just having the ability to get small. It always lack the imagination to do much more with the powers and if they really want to acomplishe something, they have to unite their powers.
And when they do it, they're fighting against galactic and cosmic threats and that just doesn't feel real to me.

If they ever let the Sentry return, it would be nice to not push him into a team like the Avengers or the Dark Avengers again. It would be nice to see him as a loner, with all of his responsibility.
What I really liked was when Spider-Man asked him to hang out together, but Sentry refused and flied away, since he was still hearing people calling for help, while Spider-Man thought that the day was saved.
It's just a much more intense perspective.
I would like to see the Sentry in a clear state. Not only struggeling with his phobias. It was a nice idea at the beginning and it still would be nice, because we all have our phobias. Many of us are probably afraid of dark places, big crowds, tight places (LOL, well that one probably not, because it's a good thing sometimes) and so on, and also Sentry was something special because he had his weaknesses. It wasn't Kryptonite or magic, it was just something that every one of us can have.
It would still be okay to see him dealing with them, but they shouldn't consume him totally, like they did at the end of his career.
It would be also cool to see the Void again, but then again as being for his own like Paul Jenkis wrote it. When Bendis let them share the same body, it got too messy. You could never say who was doing what and who was having the ability to do what. Bendis fucked up big time and I would like to see a different writer taking on the Sentry.
Probably Stan Lee who was writing the "What If #200" story with Sentry in it and he managed to save Sentry from Bendis' shitty plotting - he still had to deal with some serious issues that have been done to the character, but in his version there wasn't any hellicarrier and Thor wasn't able to stop Sentry at all.
Stan Lee has still that old-sql-touch and writes his heroes really heroic and entertaining, so yeah...

Sentry, please come back!

#24 Posted by jaywray (631 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always liked the sentry, although, id like to see him get put in his place. 
Sure he's super powerful ect, but I believe he needs to be beaten, before we can see really where he stands in the power rankings. 
I wana see someone like the silver surfer take him down with a planet shattering blow, and sentry seeing that he isn't the be all and end all, and likely cure his little fear of, 
"OH NOES MY POWER IS TO STRONG."  
Then maybe we can see him be a useful character to the marvel universe once more.

#25 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

They really, REALLY need to undo the whole Rogue thing.

#26 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

If he returns I hope they make him a full-blown reality-warping villain, like molecule man and proteus.

#27 Posted by The_Mayhem_Theory (1060 posts) - - Show Bio
I always picture Robert teaming up with Surfer on some missions, so perhaps if and when he returns, he could join the Annihilators. Perhaps then we could finally see him realize his potential and unleash the magnitude of 100 million exploding suns power.
#28 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a fan in the beginning. Then they made him into the cry baby walking PIS machine and they killed him for me.

#29 Posted by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio

If he comes back I want to see him and Hyperion battle for the right to be Marvel's preeminent Superman pastiche.

#30 Posted by Blue Outburst (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he should come back as a Future Foundation member

#31 Posted by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

I am curious as to why this time it's taking him so long 're-form' as he was shown doing this with ease after molecule man obliterated him. And when in the sun, void stated that would not achieve anything. Hmmm.

#32 Posted by Enzeru (2954 posts) - - Show Bio
@LordRequiem said:
I am curious as to why this time it's taking him so long 're-form' as he was shown doing this with ease after molecule man obliterated him. And when in the sun, void stated that would not achieve anything. Hmmm.
That were moments where Robert Reynolds didn't want to die and instantly returned.
His fight in the Siege destroyed Asgard and the entire area. He was Robert Reynolds for few minutes during the combat and decided to die to end the madness, so he never returned after he got killed.
#33 Edited by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe:  
 I hate retcons. (Sorry retcons.)

The guestion should start: When he returns.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.