Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

Explain Sentry

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jeanroygrant

I have a question to ask. Is sentry like a god or something because in this scan he is in the air in his position??

Maybe he is linked to some source of power from jesus of god??

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

See his pose

Please explain

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Malevolent1

Your question...and the fact that I don't have the faintest clue as to what message is trying to convey...really epitomizes the Sentry. A complete mystery.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Sentry is a man who was granted powers by something he intended to get high off of.The End.

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:
    Sentry is a man who was granted powers by something he intended to get high off of.The End.
    lol is this for real?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @higher_evolutionary said:
    @Vance Astro said:
    lol is this for real?
    Yes.Robert Reynolds was a junkie before he became The Sentry\The Void.
    Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:
    @Vance Astro said:
    lol is this for real?
    Yes.Robert Reynolds was a junkie before he became The Sentry\The Void.
    so he took the "magic" pill hahhahahahahah..... marvel should really reconsider their editorial staff
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    so he took the "magic" pill hahhahahahahah..... marvel should really reconsider their editorial staff
    No pill..Serum.I may be wrong about this.Of course since Sentry is dead i'm not really following him any more but if i'm not mistaken he "shot up" this serum he found with the intention of getting high.The serum happened to be an accelerated version of the Super Soldier Serum.I believe the dosage 100,000 times that of what Cap took.
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Vance Astro said:
    No pill..Serum.I may be wrong about this.Of course since Sentry is dead i'm not really following him any more but if i'm not mistaken he "shot up" this serum he found with the intention of getting high.The serum happened to be an accelerated version of the Super Soldier Serum.I believe the dosage 100,000 times that of what Cap took.
    Yea as far as I know that's still what happened. 

@jeanroygrant
    When Bendis started righting the Sentry during Dark Reign/Siege he started eluding to Judo/Christian stuff by depicting the sentry in positions like you posted also there was certain biblical events shown and it was hinted that The Void was the Angel of Death, however there was never any fallow through to this so I presume the creators decided it was a stupid idea so nothing ever came of it.  
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @jeanroygrant: When Bendis started righting the Sentry during Dark Reign/Siege he started eluding to Judo/Christian stuff by depicting the sentry in positions like you posted also there was certain biblical events shown and it was hinted that The Void was the Angel of Death, however there was never any fallow through to this so I presume the creators decided it was a stupid idea so nothing ever came of it.  
    This is just like the thing with Sentry suggesting he was Galactus.It's just some thing to say to add suspense.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PrinceIMC

I kinda wish they'd just say the Sentry was Beyonder (and that Beyonder isn't a mutant/inhuman) and be done with it all.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Vance Astro said:
    @spiderbat87 said:
    @jeanroygrant: When Bendis started righting the Sentry during Dark Reign/Siege he started eluding to Judo/Christian stuff by depicting the sentry in positions like you posted also there was certain biblical events shown and it was hinted that The Void was the Angel of Death, however there was never any fallow through to this so I presume the creators decided it was a stupid idea so nothing ever came of it.  
    This is just like the thing with Sentry suggesting he was Galactus.It's just some thing to say to add suspense.
    Yea basically, they where just trying to add things on to the character to try and make him more interesting to people but it actually did the opposite 
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By fodigg

Sentry is the embodiment of bad fan fiction. No seriously. I don't mean that as a dig. It's actually a really interesting concept.

See, he's a big fan of superheroes, and suddenly he's given the power to alter reality at will, so he does so in order to live out his fantasy. He becomes THE premier cape and is literally LOVED by everyone. And it's all real. As soon as he wants something—a new power, a new love interest, a new best friend—it's worked into continuity as if it had always been there. Except, all of these self-aggrandizing changes he's making to reality are destroying it, a process embodied by a literal dark side, the Void. The only way to fight that power is to give it up but he can't, because he's too obsessed. Too deluded. Too addicted to the experience.

We've seen reality-altering villains before: Molecule Man, Proteus, Franklin Richards, Scarlet Witch, Phoenix, and various time-traveling villains (e.g., Kang), but his fractured personality is a new twist on the concept. Not in the least because in many ways he's sympathetic (as all addicts are in a way), but mostly because he's a clear dig against certain elements of the fandom. He's a mirror being turned against every Mary Sue fanfic ever written.

Unfortunately his abilities, by their very nature, tend to muck up continuity when treated loosely or put in the hands of some--shall we say "overworked" writers. He was never meant to be a part of regular continuity, at least, not as a hero. When he's in a self-contained story he's brilliant (original Sentry run and Age of the Sentry) and when he's involved in the day-to-day he's just too powerful. And that power is either being stupidly ignored or it's screwing up the entire Marvel universe.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By majestic99

@Vance Astro said:

Yes, it was a serum, a golden glowing one to be exact.

Morphtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something tells me that he linked to TOAA somehow, that Serum opened something. Maybe the sentry is the embodyment of TOAA's will to keep the safe, and the void is the embodyment of TOAA's will to destroy the universe and rebuilt it.

PD: Im drunk, dont take me serious, just a theorie.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's implied in the Second Sentry Mini that Sentry was a schizophrenic, anxiety-prone child who stole an experimental sample of the Super Soldier Serum and drank it. This made him the Sentry. Most schizohprenics begin to show symptoms in their late teens to late 20s. That Bob would be self-medicating through drugs and alcohol (sadly common in the reality of the mentally ill) is not at all unrealistic. It's just what happens.

Beyond that, though, this is all you need to know about the Sentry: He was once a big hero, but with a dark side that grew out of control. To stop it from continuing to take on a life of its own, he consciously rejected his powers and made the world forget him.

Sentry's declerations of powers are best ignored, because they're nothing more than a delusional mind. 'I'm Galactus' shouldn't be paid any more heed than the homeless bum on the street corner declaring he's Jesus. What makes the Sentry terrifying is that if he's deep into his illness, he actually has the power to inflict some pretty terrible harm.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@fodigg said:

Sentry is the embodiment of bad fan fiction. No seriously. I don't mean that as a dig. It's actually a really interesting concept.

See, he's a big fan of superheroes, and suddenly he's given the power to alter reality at will, so he does so in order to live out his fantasy. He becomes THE premier cape and is literally LOVED by everyone. And it's all real. As soon as he wants something—a new power, a new love interest, a new best friend—it's worked into continuity as if it had always been there. Except, all of these self-aggrandizing changes he's making to reality are destroying it, a process embodied by a literal dark side, the Void. The only way to fight that power is to give it up but he can't, because he's too obsessed. Too deluded. Too addicted to the experience.

We've seen reality-altering villains before: Molecule Man, Proteus, Franklin Richards, Scarlet Witch, Phoenix, and various time-traveling villains (e.g., Kang), but his fractured personality is a new twist on the concept. Not in the least because in many ways he's sympathetic (as all addicts are in a way), but mostly because he's a clear dig against certain elements of the fandom. He's a mirror being turned against every Mary Sue fanfic ever written.

Unfortunately his abilities, by their very nature, tend to muck up continuity when treated loosely or put in the hands of some--shall we say "overworked" writers. He was never meant to be a part of regular continuity, at least, not as a hero. When he's in a self-contained story he's brilliant (original Sentry run and Age of the Sentry) and when he's involved in the day-to-day he's just too powerful. And that power is either being stupidly ignored or it's screwing up the entire Marvel universe.

You grasped very well the essence of the character.

Sentry is a very very very powerful Reality Warper.

Tendrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man.

The one thing I love most about Sentry is the epic level of nerd rage he causes in folks like the guy who wrote the above whose name I do't even remember.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@tomofukuoka: Your hateful comments towards this character are pointless.

If you don't like him why do you come into his threads ?

That sounds ridiculous.

Moreover your claims are full of inaccuracies and shows a deep lack of knowledge of the character and the writers intent.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sentry solos

Avatar image for gildardovillarruel
    GildardoVillarruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YEAH DONT HATE ON SENTRY.. YOU FUCEN GOODY TOO SHOES.. HE WAS POWERFUL ENOUGH TO STAND UP TO WBH..

askujdnakjsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's also a stmt in some guidebook about the void being able to warp reality to suit Bob's whims.

Could anybody find that, if possible?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.