Explain Sentry

#1 Posted by jeanroygrant (20442 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a question to ask. Is sentry like a god or something because in this scan he is in the air in his position??

Maybe he is linked to some source of power from jesus of god??

See his pose

Please explain

#2 Posted by Malevolent1 (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

Your question...and the fact that I don't have the faintest clue as to what message is trying to convey...really epitomizes the Sentry. A complete mystery.

#3 Posted by Vance Astro (89409 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry is a man who was granted powers by something he intended to get high off of.The End.

#4 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
Sentry is a man who was granted powers by something he intended to get high off of.The End.
lol is this for real?
#5 Posted by Vance Astro (89409 posts) - - Show Bio
@higher_evolutionary said:
@Vance Astro said:
lol is this for real?
Yes.Robert Reynolds was a junkie before he became The Sentry\The Void.
#6 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2124 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@Vance Astro said:
lol is this for real?
Yes.Robert Reynolds was a junkie before he became The Sentry\The Void.
so he took the "magic" pill hahhahahahahah..... marvel should really reconsider their editorial staff
#7 Posted by Vance Astro (89409 posts) - - Show Bio
so he took the "magic" pill hahhahahahahah..... marvel should really reconsider their editorial staff
No pill..Serum.I may be wrong about this.Of course since Sentry is dead i'm not really following him any more but if i'm not mistaken he "shot up" this serum he found with the intention of getting high.The serum happened to be an accelerated version of the Super Soldier Serum.I believe the dosage 100,000 times that of what Cap took.
#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (39541 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
No pill..Serum.I may be wrong about this.Of course since Sentry is dead i'm not really following him any more but if i'm not mistaken he "shot up" this serum he found with the intention of getting high.The serum happened to be an accelerated version of the Super Soldier Serum.I believe the dosage 100,000 times that of what Cap took.
Yea as far as I know that's still what happened. 

@jeanroygrant
When Bendis started righting the Sentry during Dark Reign/Siege he started eluding to Judo/Christian stuff by depicting the sentry in positions like you posted also there was certain biblical events shown and it was hinted that The Void was the Angel of Death, however there was never any fallow through to this so I presume the creators decided it was a stupid idea so nothing ever came of it.  
#9 Posted by Vance Astro (89409 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@jeanroygrant: When Bendis started righting the Sentry during Dark Reign/Siege he started eluding to Judo/Christian stuff by depicting the sentry in positions like you posted also there was certain biblical events shown and it was hinted that The Void was the Angel of Death, however there was never any fallow through to this so I presume the creators decided it was a stupid idea so nothing ever came of it.  
This is just like the thing with Sentry suggesting he was Galactus.It's just some thing to say to add suspense.
#10 Posted by PrinceIMC (5505 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda wish they'd just say the Sentry was Beyonder (and that Beyonder isn't a mutant/inhuman) and be done with it all.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (39541 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@jeanroygrant: When Bendis started righting the Sentry during Dark Reign/Siege he started eluding to Judo/Christian stuff by depicting the sentry in positions like you posted also there was certain biblical events shown and it was hinted that The Void was the Angel of Death, however there was never any fallow through to this so I presume the creators decided it was a stupid idea so nothing ever came of it.  
This is just like the thing with Sentry suggesting he was Galactus.It's just some thing to say to add suspense.
Yea basically, they where just trying to add things on to the character to try and make him more interesting to people but it actually did the opposite 
#12 Posted by fodigg (6209 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry is the embodiment of bad fan fiction. No seriously. I don't mean that as a dig. It's actually a really interesting concept.

See, he's a big fan of superheroes, and suddenly he's given the power to alter reality at will, so he does so in order to live out his fantasy. He becomes THE premier cape and is literally LOVED by everyone. And it's all real. As soon as he wants something—a new power, a new love interest, a new best friend—it's worked into continuity as if it had always been there. Except, all of these self-aggrandizing changes he's making to reality are destroying it, a process embodied by a literal dark side, the Void. The only way to fight that power is to give it up but he can't, because he's too obsessed. Too deluded. Too addicted to the experience.

We've seen reality-altering villains before: Molecule Man, Proteus, Franklin Richards, Scarlet Witch, Phoenix, and various time-traveling villains (e.g., Kang), but his fractured personality is a new twist on the concept. Not in the least because in many ways he's sympathetic (as all addicts are in a way), but mostly because he's a clear dig against certain elements of the fandom. He's a mirror being turned against every Mary Sue fanfic ever written.

Unfortunately his abilities, by their very nature, tend to muck up continuity when treated loosely or put in the hands of some--shall we say "overworked" writers. He was never meant to be a part of regular continuity, at least, not as a hero. When he's in a self-contained story he's brilliant (original Sentry run and Age of the Sentry) and when he's involved in the day-to-day he's just too powerful. And that power is either being stupidly ignored or it's screwing up the entire Marvel universe.

#13 Posted by majestic99 (8916 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Yes, it was a serum, a golden glowing one to be exact.

#14 Posted by Morphtek (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Something tells me that he linked to TOAA somehow, that Serum opened something. Maybe the sentry is the embodyment of TOAA's will to keep the safe, and the void is the embodyment of TOAA's will to destroy the universe and rebuilt it.

PD: Im drunk, dont take me serious, just a theorie.

#15 Posted by Tendrin (66 posts) - - Show Bio

It's implied in the Second Sentry Mini that Sentry was a schizophrenic, anxiety-prone child who stole an experimental sample of the Super Soldier Serum and drank it. This made him the Sentry. Most schizohprenics begin to show symptoms in their late teens to late 20s. That Bob would be self-medicating through drugs and alcohol (sadly common in the reality of the mentally ill) is not at all unrealistic. It's just what happens.

Beyond that, though, this is all you need to know about the Sentry: He was once a big hero, but with a dark side that grew out of control. To stop it from continuing to take on a life of its own, he consciously rejected his powers and made the world forget him.

Sentry's declerations of powers are best ignored, because they're nothing more than a delusional mind. 'I'm Galactus' shouldn't be paid any more heed than the homeless bum on the street corner declaring he's Jesus. What makes the Sentry terrifying is that if he's deep into his illness, he actually has the power to inflict some pretty terrible harm.

#16 Posted by TomoFukuoka (781 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis hyped him, then wrote himself into a hole

#17 Posted by RealityWarper (8339 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

Sentry is the embodiment of bad fan fiction. No seriously. I don't mean that as a dig. It's actually a really interesting concept.

See, he's a big fan of superheroes, and suddenly he's given the power to alter reality at will, so he does so in order to live out his fantasy. He becomes THE premier cape and is literally LOVED by everyone. And it's all real. As soon as he wants something—a new power, a new love interest, a new best friend—it's worked into continuity as if it had always been there. Except, all of these self-aggrandizing changes he's making to reality are destroying it, a process embodied by a literal dark side, the Void. The only way to fight that power is to give it up but he can't, because he's too obsessed. Too deluded. Too addicted to the experience.

We've seen reality-altering villains before: Molecule Man, Proteus, Franklin Richards, Scarlet Witch, Phoenix, and various time-traveling villains (e.g., Kang), but his fractured personality is a new twist on the concept. Not in the least because in many ways he's sympathetic (as all addicts are in a way), but mostly because he's a clear dig against certain elements of the fandom. He's a mirror being turned against every Mary Sue fanfic ever written.

Unfortunately his abilities, by their very nature, tend to muck up continuity when treated loosely or put in the hands of some--shall we say "overworked" writers. He was never meant to be a part of regular continuity, at least, not as a hero. When he's in a self-contained story he's brilliant (original Sentry run and Age of the Sentry) and when he's involved in the day-to-day he's just too powerful. And that power is either being stupidly ignored or it's screwing up the entire Marvel universe.

You grasped very well the essence of the character.

Sentry is a very very very powerful Reality Warper.

#18 Edited by TomoFukuoka (781 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry is everything that's wrong with 616 and his creation is a combo of 3 things

1 An original concept by Jenkins and Rick Veitch....to create a forgotten addict character a little like Roy Harper or Triumph

2 A mini series and a wiz magazine prank that went too far

3 A series of failed development by Bendis, ripping off Alan Moore

With the rumors of the Sentry’s demise floating all around, I thought it would be nice to look back at the origins of the character, more specifically, the somewhat “secret” origins of the character.Now, let’s get it straight right from the bat that Paul Jenkins came up with the idea of the Sentry. He created the concept and the character.However, interestingly enough, there was another fellow heavily involved in the development of Jenkins’ concept that has not gotten much credit over the years (basically NO credit, really), and that is the great Rick Veitch.It was Veitch that Jenkins went to with his basic concept of a guy who was over-the-hill and struggling with addiction, and trying to somehow work that into a superhero concept (a superhero addicted to his powers), perhaps by looking at a history spanning the current history of comics.After they discussed it some more, Jenkins suggested the idea of the guy working as a guardian of sorts, eventually choosing the name The Centurion, then boiling that down to The Sentry.Their next big revelation (which Veitch remembers as being his idea) was that Sentry was a “forgotten” hero. He has been part of the Marvel Universe all along, but was forgotten until now (due to some major problem wiping his existence from the memories of everyone).So Veitch developed depictions of Sentry from different eras

comicbookresources

The month following Rosen’s passing, Wizard published a seemingly unrelated report, mentioning that a pre-Fantastic Four super-hero, co-created by Stan Lee, had recently been unearthed by Marvel. The story came to a head in June 2000. In a Wizard exclusive, the magazine reported that following Rosen’s death, his widow discovered a box labeled “Marvel Comics” containing comics, papers and files. She returned the box to Marvel, where it was promptly lost until writer Paul Jenkins accidentally picked it up. Jenkins discovered an old comic in the box, Startling Stories #1, featuring the debut of a Superman-like hero called The Sentry. Moderately intrigued by the forgotten hero, Jenkins dug deeper in the box, discovering old sketches and character outlines. Dated 1961, the developmental sketches were signed by Stan Lee and Artie Rosen.

Quickly realizing the significance of a Silver Age Marvel hero pre-dating the Fantastic Four, Jenkins and collaborator Jae Lee, petitioned both their Marvel Knights editors and Stan Lee for permission to resurrect The Sentry. Stan Lee, who only had vague memories of creating the character, quickly agreed, and a new Sentry project was fast-tracked. Initially conceived as a 5-issue mini-series, four additional one-shots extrapolating The Sentry’s relationship with classic Marvel heroes was added, along with a bookend finale.

*Spoiler Warning*

The following reveals plot points from Marvel’s 2000/2001 The Sentry series.

The Sentry #1 shipped with a September 2000 cover date. “The Suit” introduced readers to Bob Reynolds. The middle-aged, pot-bellied man with agoraphobia wakes one night with the ominous feeling that The Void, a creature of terrible evil, had returned. Drawing from the real-world scenario surrounding the Sentry, Jenkins introduced the idea that Bob had once been a great hero, but for some reason, everyone (including Bob and his wife) had forgotten The Sentry. As the Void’s impending return began to re-awaken Bob’s memories, Jenkins and Lee interspersed the tale with brief flashbacks of the Sentry at various points in Marvel History (a Kirby inspired 1960s origin, a moodier Dark Knight-esque 80s adventure, and a more recent Alex Ross style portrait).

Finally overwhelmed by a sense of dread, Bob drank the super-serum that would transform him back into the Sentry. At that exact moment, The Void channeled itself through Bob’s dog, mocking the hero. Just as Bob lashed out at his dog, his wife Lindy entered the room. Rather than seeing the same images the reader had, Liddy instead saw her husband delirious, holding a bottle of booze and kicking the family pet. At her breaking point, Liddy left her husband. In the final pages, readers saw the small, broken man take a jacket from his hall closet and clip a blanket to it with clothespins – all the while believing he was donning a costume. As the issue ended, Jenkins left readers believing that Bob was a delusional drunk – until the final panel that saw him lift into air, flying.The second issue continued to toy with both perceptions and time. Lee and Jenkins presented several more “flash-backs” including a Rob Liefeld-style adventure in which Sentry’s sidekick, Scout, was maimed by the Void, and a John Byrne inspired wedding between Sentry and Liddy. In the present day, Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) encountered Bob in a bizarre meeting that brings the leader of the Fantastic Four to suspect that something is amiss. Issue #3 further established Bob’s ties with the Marvel Universe, as he encounters the Hulk and Spider-Man. Meanwhile, Mr. Fantastic learns that Robert Reynolds had died years earlier. Finally, Reed discovered a small folder of clippings about the adventures of the Sentry. Dr. Strange then suddenly appeared warning Mr. Fantastic that the questions he was asking were placing the very universe in danger.

old brokenfrontier the wizard magazine prank on Stan Lee's lost superman character

Last week, in my post on character death, I mentioned that the one character who absolutely nobody will miss is the Sentry, Marvel’s attempt to see just how narrowly the courts interpret the laws against copyright infringement (and just how badly they can piss off Alan Moore. I sometimes suspect that the Big Two have some sort of secret engine hidden in their basement, fueled entirely by Alan Moore’s irritation with them, and they need to periodically stoke it by leaving copyright notice off of his work or making a shitty movie version of one of his comics.) But I didn’t get to the root of the problem. Why, apart from being a gigantic fucking Mary Sue and a blatant rip-off of Miracleman and apocalyptically uninteresting, is the Sentry such a goddamn terrible character that death wasn’t good enough for him?Unfortunately for my attempts to be original and clever, Ragnell posted a very nice analysis on her blog that notes a lot of the key points. I’ll try not to repeat too much of what she said, because that’s what links are for, but basically she points out how the Sentry is portrayed as retroactively being the most awesome person in the whole Marvel Universe, the guy who was everyone’s best friend and mentor and helped Angel learn how to embrace his mutant gift and showed Reed Richards how to care and taught Rogue how to love and shot Uncle Ben…no, wait. Not that last one.But she doesn’t get deep enough into the problem. She points to those things as being terrible in and of themselves, because they reduce the entire Marvel Universe to the role of supporting characters in the Sentry’s story, and she’s right, but the deeper problem is that those things didn’t happen. The Sentry is not a long-established, integral part of the Marvel Universe. He’s not the one guy who’s always been able to calm the Hulk down when he’s pissed, he’s not the one guy who Doctor Doom has always been afraid of, he’s not the one guy who Reed Richards can talk to and the one guy that Rogue can turn to for a booty call. He’s some total schmuck we don’t care about. We are not emotionally invested in the Sentry, because that’s something you have to earn over time. It cannot be imposed by editorial fiat.

bendis the moron LOL, made him a miracleman rip off and forced him into mainstream 616 continuity

#19 Posted by Tendrin (66 posts) - - Show Bio

Man.

The one thing I love most about Sentry is the epic level of nerd rage he causes in folks like the guy who wrote the above whose name I do't even remember.

#20 Posted by RealityWarper (8339 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomofukuoka: Your hateful comments towards this character are pointless.

If you don't like him why do you come into his threads ?

That sounds ridiculous.

Moreover your claims are full of inaccuracies and shows a deep lack of knowledge of the character and the writers intent.

#21 Posted by KingOfKings1 (1442 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry solos

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.