Follow

Sentry

Character » Sentry appears in 966 issues.

After ingesting an experimental super-soldier formula, the lowly Robert Reynolds became the Sentry, if only in his mind. In constant battle with his dark side known as the Void, the Sentry has been forgotten and dead, he has resurrected and vanished. Even if he is one of earth's greatest heroes, he is also one of the world's greatest dangers.

does anyone like sentry?

• 152 results
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By AtPhantom
    erik said:
    "My like for him depends on what issue I am reading because his personality seems different each time."
    Agreed! That's what bugs me about him. He has no established personality, powers and mental problems. These wary with each and every book, and allow writers to just pin anything they need on him. One minute he's a schizophrenic, the next he's agoraphobic, he's like world's greatest plot device.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    AtPhantom said:
    "erik said:
    "My like for him depends on what issue I am reading because his personality seems different each time."
    Agreed! That's what bugs me about him. He has no established personality, powers and mental problems. These wary with each and every book, and allow writers to just pin anything they need on him. One minute he's a schizophrenic, the next he's agoraphobic, he's like world's greatest plot device.
    "
    Read Age of the Sentry.
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By geraldthesloth

Sentry sucks

too overrated

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    geraldthesloth said:
    "Sentry sucks

too overrated
    How is he overrated when nobody likes him?
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By geraldthesloth

His whole "powerset"

that's whats overrated

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    geraldthesloth said:
    "His whole "powerset"

that's whats overrated
    "
    How does is powerset make him overrated? Because nobody on Earth can beat him in a fair fight?
    Avatar image for sonofhercules95
    sonofhercules95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#107  Edited By sonofhercules95

I liked him when he was joined with the Mighty Avengers, but when he joined with Norman and the Dark Avengers my opinion of him has changed

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#108  Edited By DMC

I like him

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#109  Edited By Static Shock
    Vance Astro said:
    How does is powerset make him overrated? Because nobody on Earth can beat him in a fair fight?"
    He's talking about the exploding suns thing.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Static Shock said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    How does is powerset make him overrated? Because nobody on Earth can beat him in a fair fight?"
    He's talking about the exploding suns thing."
    Read Age of the Sentry #6: Whether the suns thing is true or it isn't he's still top dog on earth so I still don't see how he's overrated...
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By DEGRAAF

didnt they say thats is how strong he is? that would be more of a fact than it would be an over exageration about how strong ppl think he might be

Avatar image for marshall_madness
    Marshall Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't I read this forum before??????

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113  Edited By pixelized

He's growing on me

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#114  Edited By Korg

I just want to know why anyone felt it necessary to create his character in the first place. Completely unnecessary, blatant Superman clone with shifting power-set and psychological disorders. Horrible idea, has marred many comics I have read. Please stop, Marvel.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Korg said:
    "I just want to know why anyone felt it necessary to create his character in the first place. Completely unnecessary, blatant Superman clone with shifting power-set and psychological disorders. Horrible idea, has marred many comics I have read. Please stop, Marvel."
    Marvel will never stop making Superman clones...they have 5.I see their being 10 by 2014.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#116  Edited By Korg

Maybe we can have them all fight to the death, battle royal style.

TruePwnge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By TruePwnge
    @NinjaGaidenX7 said:
    "

i like sentry, im sick of superman.

"
    I don't like either of them
    Omg chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Omg chris

i like sentry i think his pretty cool...

Nibiru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Nibiru

I want Thor to smash his stupid face in.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By geraldthesloth

eh sentry is a pretty cool guy eh, emotional nutcase and doesn't afraid of anything

Dark King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#121  Edited By Dark King

i think sentry was meant to be a parody like wade was but some writers took it seriously and tried to give him meaningful reasons for his power shift ala superman but using marvel logic.

Cloaked Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Cloaked Man
    Dark King said:
    i think sentry was meant to be a parody like wade was but some writers took it seriously and tried ... [more]
    A parody or spoof is a term that's applied to mockeries meant to be humorous. The Sentry in his initial mini-series was not meant to be any sort of thing.
    SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#123  Edited By SUNMAN

I'm use to him now and I kind of like him on the Dark Avengers, he is one of the forces keeping Dark Reign going and saving Normans butt.

I have one question though. In the newest Spider-Man when he pulls the hood of Norman's car, than slaps him around a few times before telling him to stay away from Harry, where was the Sentry?! I've seen the dude get to Osborn in like 5 seconds half way around the world.    (On another note shouldn't Osborn have forgotten Peter's secret identity?)
    wild spider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By wild spider

I hate him more than I hate superman!!!!!!

AgentOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#125  Edited By AgentOrange

The Sentry's a total cop out, one of the first and most powerful super heroes in the marvel world, just (Scoff!) this is more likely creating a disposable threatening character the good and bad guys will have to kill when he goes crazy.  But he's like a child now a big yellow spandex super powered Arse-tard!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Dark King said:
    i think sentry was meant to be a parody like wade was but some writers took it seriously and tried ... [more]
    You obviously don't read Sentry,Dark Avengers or Mighty Avengers
    Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Valkaad

NO

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Valkaad

I think he is a joke. All of the sudden a guy appears that everyone forgot about and he just happens to be more powerful than just about anyone. I think it's marvel trying to keep up with DC in the power level category. Hopefully they will retcon his overpowered ass and he will go back to being the one shot character he was supposed to be when he was created.

Omg chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Omg chris

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i like him i think his interesting his one of the stongest but his mind is so fragile it makes his charecyer seem more human like knowing that they have weakness unlike supes who's a major powerhouse

Dark King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#130  Edited By Dark King
    Vance Astro said:
    Dark King said: i think sentry was meant to be a parody like wade was but some writers took it ... [more]
    he is still a blatant ripoff...white trash looking putz
    Avatar image for the_ace_of_knaves
    the ace of knaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm Dark King I think you are blinded by your obvious bias towards DC and Superman.

Sentry is literally NOTHING like Superman, apart from on the surface.

Superman is boring, there is no conflict in him or a real personality. It's all a matter of taste but I really hate goody two shoes/boy scout  superheroes, Superman is the epitome of this.

Whereas Sentry has different layers. I like that he questions whether he is real or not. Imagine how messed up you would be if you was basically a God amongst mortals but not sure whether you are even real. I like that sorta psychological stuff.

I do think he hasn't met his full potential yet though, he needs a solo series so someone can really flesh him out a bit more.

box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#132  Edited By box turtle

I like him.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#133  Edited By MrDirector786

Yeah, he's cool.

Sirnoobsalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Sirnoobsalot

No. No one should like Sentry.

I DARE you to argue that with me. I DARE you.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Sirnoobsalot said:
    " No. No one should like Sentry. I DARE you to argue that with me. I DARE you. "
    I like Sentry...
    Sirnoobsalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Sirnoobsalot
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Sirnoobsalot said:
    " No. No one should like Sentry. I DARE you to argue that with me. I DARE you. "
    I like Sentry...
    "

You sure you want to pick this fight?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Sirnoobsalot said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Sirnoobsalot said:
    I like Sentry...
    "

You sure you want to pick this fight? "
    I'm not picking a fight.I like the character.I'm sure you have nothing for me anyway.
    Sirnoobsalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Sirnoobsalot
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Sirnoobsalot said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Sirnoobsalot said:
    I like Sentry...
    "

I'm not picking a fight.I like the character.I'm sure you have nothing for me anyway.
    "
    Its game time Boy'o.

So lets begin where we should: The beginning.

Sentry was by all definitions a punk ass druggie. In fact I would put this guy above a lot of people I knew in high-school who were high all of the time. Now, as such a drug addicted crack-head, he was on his ultimate quest: Get more drugs. By chance, he finds himself in what should have been THE MOST SECURE facility in all of the U.S. Military. Now, as an education-less pothead, dodo-bird here, sees a vial and a needle. The most complex thought he could come up with was, "Ooo, inject self with stuff, me see more pretty butterfly!" Instead of, "Hmm, by some miracle of god I am now in a top secret government facility, and here in this room i have found a vial of some unknown substance (which could very well be Drano), perhaps I should take a moment and reconsider the actions I've taken that have led me here." Instead, he injects himself with it.

Lets take a step back for a moment and think about the next part of this story: The source of his powers. The Captain America Serum (the one they lost and have been unable to recreate) was given to Cap in a very specific dose. Why? Hmm... Oh yes! because anything stronger would kill any human being it was injected into. Now, I don't know if his drug whoring lifestyle built up his immunities to inject-able substances or what, but SOMEHOW the "Sentry"  survives being injected with a serum that is ----100---- not 2, not 10... 100 times more concentrated than Steve's. So, now that we have retconned both the apparent power of the serum, and its failure to be recreated, lets retcon 1 more thing: what the serum actually does.

Project Rebirth was designed to create a super soldier that was at the peak of HUMAN CAPABILITY in strength, endurance, agility and speed. And so it did with Captain America. With Captain Crackhead however it somehow shifted his molecules out of sync with time, and by result he can now fly, survive in space, manipulate some stuff even I have to double check because I don't think they would have been THAT dumb, and of course completely alters the psychological profile of a drug addicted drop out into a superhero of valor, conscience and terrible fashion choice. Captain America somehow didn't get those powers. Or anything like them. Almost as if the Serum did what it was written to do. Crazy, I know.

Ok, so I'll play along for a while. So crack head becomes ultra strong superhero. Whatever. Now, following this moment, our brand new character somehow, someway became responsible for all the good fluffy things that have ever happened: and I quote

"The characters' memories of the Sentry and the Void resurface when Reynolds talks with them. The Sentry had taught Angel how to conquer his fear of falling. Peter Parker's photograph of the Sentry earned him a Pulitzer Prize and fame. The Hulk had never forgotten the Sentry, whom he called "Golden Man". Under the Sentry's influence, the Hulk had been a force for good which had redeemed his violent actions and won the adoration of the public. Reed Richards remembers the Sentry was his best friend and that the Fantastic Four had teamed up with him on many adventures. Meanwhile the general public themselves gradually come to remember the Sentry as does Reynolds' old sidekick, Billy Turner, formerly known as the Scout."

So, apparently being the inspiration for many other heroes he somehow WAS NOT written into the marvel lore until September of 2000.(The boys over at the printing building must have lost his debut back before the Fantastic Four came out).

Need I go on?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Sirnoobsalot said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Sirnoobsalot said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Sirnoobsalot said:
    I like Sentry...
    "

"
    Its game time Boy'o.

Sentry was by all definitions a punk ass druggie. In fact I would put this guy above a lot of people I knew in high-school who were high all of the time. Now, as such a drug addicted crack-head, he was on his ultimate quest: Get more drugs. By chance, he finds himself in what should have been THE MOST SECURE facility in all of the U.S. Military. Now, as an education-less pothead, dodo-bird here sees a vial and a needle. The most complex thought he could come up with was, "Ooo, inject self with stuff, me see more pretty butterfly!" Instead of, "Hmm, by some miracle of god I am now in a top secret government facility, and here in this room i have found a vial of some unknown substance (which could very well be Drano), perhaps I should take a moment and reconsider the actions I've taken that have led me here." Instead, he injects himself with it.

Lets take a step back for a moment and thin kabout the next part of this story: The source of his powers. The Captain America Serum (the one they lost and have been unable to recreate) was given to Cap in a very specific dose. Why? Hmm... Oh yes! because anything stronger would kill any human being it was injected into. Now, I don't know if his drug whoring lifestyle built up his immunities to inject-able substances or what, but SOMEHOW the "Sentry"  survives being injected with a serum that is ----100---- not 2, not 10... 100 times more concentrated than Steve's. So, now that we have retconned both the apparent power of the serum, and its failure to be recreated, lets retcon 1 more thing: what the serum actually does.

Project Rebirth was designed to create a super soldier that was at the peak of HUMAN CAPABILITY in strength, endurance, agility and speed. And so it did with Captain America. With Captain Crackhead however it somehow shifted his molecules out of sync with time, and by result he can now fly, survive in space, manipulate some stuff even I have to double check because I don't think they would have been THAT dumb, and of course completely alters the psychological profile of a drug addicted drop out into a superhero of valor, conscience and terrible fashion choice. Captain America somehow didn't get those powers. Or anything like them. Almost as if the Serum did what it was written to do. Crazy, I know.

Ok, so I'll play along for a while. So crack head becomes ultra strong superhero. Whatever. Now, following this moment, our brand new character somehow, someway became responsible for all the good fluffy things that have ever happened: and I quote

"The characters' memories of the Sentry and the Void resurface when Reynolds talks with them. The Sentry had taught Angel how to conquer his fear of falling. Peter Parker's photograph of the Sentry earned him a Pulitzer Prize and fame. The Hulk had never forgotten the Sentry, whom he called "Golden Man". Under the Sentry's influence, the Hulk had been a force for good which had redeemed his violent actions and won the adoration of the public. Reed Richards remembers the Sentry was his best friend and that the Fantastic Four had teamed up with him on many adventures. Meanwhile the general public themselves gradually come to remember the Sentry as does Reynolds' old sidekick, Billy Turner, formerly known as the Scout."So, apparently being the inspiration for many other heroes he somehow WAS NOT written into the marvel lore until September of 2000.(The boys over at the printing building must have lost his debut back before the Fantastic Four came out).Need I go on? "

Ok,first of all most of this in unimportant.You just told me Sentry's origin (which I already knew) and added your opinion to it.Ok,Robert Reyonlds was drug addict looking for a new high..And? Am I supposed to stop liking the character because of that? I've liked the character since I read his mini which explains his origin.So if I knew how he became the Sentry and it didn't bother me then...it sure as hell won't now.

Now,This is where you should have done your research.In case you were unaware,the super-soldier serum has different effects when altered.There are several people in the Marvel U who have taken different variations of the serum and gotten different results.Here is a list of people who took a variation of the serum and don't have powers anything like Cap.

1.Luke Cage
    2.The Destroyer
    3.Colonel America\Trenton Craft
    4.Master Man

The rest of the stuff you said is completely irrelevant and a waste of my time.
    Sirnoobsalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Sirnoobsalot
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Sirnoobsalot said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Sirnoobsalot said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @Sirnoobsalot said:
    I like Sentry...
    "

"
    Its game time Boy'o.

Sentry was by all definitions a punk ass druggie. In fact I would put this guy above a lot of people I knew in high-school who were high all of the time. Now, as such a drug addicted crack-head, he was on his ultimate quest: Get more drugs. By chance, he finds himself in what should have been THE MOST SECURE facility in all of the U.S. Military. Now, as an education-less pothead, dodo-bird here sees a vial and a needle. The most complex thought he could come up with was, "Ooo, inject self with stuff, me see more pretty butterfly!" Instead of, "Hmm, by some miracle of god I am now in a top secret government facility, and here in this room i have found a vial of some unknown substance (which could very well be Drano), perhaps I should take a moment and reconsider the actions I've taken that have led me here." Instead, he injects himself with it.

Lets take a step back for a moment and thin kabout the next part of this story: The source of his powers. The Captain America Serum (the one they lost and have been unable to recreate) was given to Cap in a very specific dose. Why? Hmm... Oh yes! because anything stronger would kill any human being it was injected into. Now, I don't know if his drug whoring lifestyle built up his immunities to inject-able substances or what, but SOMEHOW the "Sentry"  survives being injected with a serum that is ----100---- not 2, not 10... 100 times more concentrated than Steve's. So, now that we have retconned both the apparent power of the serum, and its failure to be recreated, lets retcon 1 more thing: what the serum actually does.

"The characters' memories of the Sentry and the Void resurface when Reynolds talks with them. The Sentry had taught Angel how to conquer his fear of falling. Peter Parker's photograph of the Sentry earned him a Pulitzer Prize and fame. The Hulk had never forgotten the Sentry, whom he called "Golden Man". Under the Sentry's influence, the Hulk had been a force for good which had redeemed his violent actions and won the adoration of the public. Reed Richards remembers the Sentry was his best friend and that the Fantastic Four had teamed up with him on many adventures. Meanwhile the general public themselves gradually come to remember the Sentry as does Reynolds' old sidekick, Billy Turner, formerly known as the Scout."So, apparently being the inspiration for many other heroes he somehow WAS NOT written into the marvel lore until September of 2000.(The boys over at the printing building must have lost his debut back before the Fantastic Four came out).Need I go on? "

Ok,first of all most of this in unimportant.You just told me Sentry's origin (which I already knew) and added your opinion to it.Ok,Robert Reyonlds was drug addict looking for a new high..And? Am I supposed to stop liking the character because of that? I've liked the character since I read his mini which explains his origin.So if I knew how he became the Sentry and it didn't bother me then...it sure as hell won't now.

Now,This is where you should have done your research.In case you were unaware,the super-soldier serum has different effects when altered.There are several people in the Marvel U who have taken different variations of the serum and gotten different results.Here is a list of people who took a variation of the serum and don't have powers anything like Cap.

1.Luke Cage
    2.The Destroyer
    3.Colonel America\Trenton Craft
    4.Master Man

The rest of the stuff you said is completely irrelevant and a waste of my time.
    "
    Alright, those characters that you mentioned were not the same Serum. They are attempts at recreating it which is why they had adverse effects. Sentry's, was not.
    But, if you aren't getting what I'm saying then... ok. That's that. I'm glad at least someone will buy into that crap. At least he makes you happy.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Sirnoobsaibot
    Alright, those characters that you mentioned were not the same Serum. They are attempts at recreating it which is why they had adverse effects. Sentry's, was not. But, if you aren't getting what I'm saying then... ok. That's that. I'm glad at least someone will buy into that crap. At least he makes you happy. "
    I know the characters I mentioned didn't take the same serum.Did you read my post? Sentry doesn't make me happy.He's not a bad character to read about when written right,that's all i'm saying.Sentry didn't take the same exact serum as Cap which would obviously have a different effect.Also the serum that Colonel America took wasn't an attempt to make the original super-soldier serum.It was purposely altered to make it better.It was built off the original.

BatDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By BatDance
    @Static Shock said:
    " I don't like Sentry. Fanboys spoil him for me. "
    Superman fanboys are far worse

but I agree Sentry sucks, for all Superman's flaws at least he's the original and he doesn't go around half mental claiming to be God or Galactus
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By goldenkey

needs a new suit.  come on yellow?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Vance wins.

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By ironshadow

I really don't understand why everybody keeps comparing Sentry to Superman, they are nothing alike, sure they have similar powers but different origins, different personalities, different behavior, if you want to compare Superman whit someone compare him to this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Edwards

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By warlock360
    @BatDance said:
    " @Static Shock said:
    " I don't like Sentry. Fanboys spoil him for me. "
    Superman fanboys are far worse  but I agree Sentry sucks, for all Superman's flaws at least he's the original and he doesn't go around half mental claiming to be God or Galactus "

No Caption Provided
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @ironshadow said:
    " I really don't understand why everybody keeps comparing Sentry to Superman, they are nothing alike, sure they have similar powers but different origins, different personalities, different behavior, if you want to compare Superman whit someone compare him to this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Edwards "
    He's clearly based on Superman..that's why.
    ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By ironshadow
    @Vance Astro: so are these guys but nobody seems to care
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @ironshadow said:
    " @Vance Astro: so are these guys but nobody seems to care
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    "
    People have past acknowledged those characters as Superman clones or characters obviously based on Superman.The whole Supreme Squadron is based on the JLA.Nobody really cares about Supreme and Hyperion..that's why the comparison is seldom made.
    Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Mooty_Pass

I loooove the sentry he is one of my top 3 fav superheroes

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.