Could a Sentry Movie work?

#1 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Could a Sentry Movie Work?  Basically play up the "Superman 24/7" angle, and show the psychological deterioration of the Sentry.  I don't know if they'd want to get into the whole Void thing, but that's a possibility. 

I suppose a modern Squadron Supreme movie (based off of the new continuity) could do the same thing, but I think they're 2 different stories - the first shows how we ask too much of Superman, the 2nd would show how he created our own problems by lying, inequity, etc. 

I wonder if the film could be done at a reasonable price, too.  With movie technology advancing. I suspect the Cost to tell a Sentry movie is going down. 

If Irredeemable gets made into a movie first, I think that's bad news for Marvel though...

#2 Posted by Billy Batson (58269 posts) - - Show Bio

No. 

BB

#3 Posted by MutenRoshi (851 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

I would rather see an Irredeemable film.

#5 Posted by EuanDewar (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd watch it.

Then again I watched Final Destination 5.

#6 Posted by keith71_98 (387 posts) - - Show Bio

Strictly comic fans would come out to see it. But would he have enough name recognition with other movie-goers to make money?
#7 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Clearly they would have to sell this as the "Bad Superman" movie... now... does that sell?  I don't know. 

Take Flashpoint Citizen Cold - He's the "villain hero".  Sentry is the mentally unstable hero. 

I could almost see them doing a straight out parody/comedy, "Bad superman" - sort of like My Super Ex-Girlfriend but with a name brand character.  However, I think what I was thinking is a more "dark" superman... sort of like Hancock, but with a "oops, the main guy's a baddie" lead. 

Perhaps end w/ the whole "everyone forgets him" plotline, and then get a "Sentry Returns" which makes him even more loony tunes?

#8 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith: Squadron Supreme can't work anyway since it was basically the Justice League. That is what made it so great.
#9 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4786 posts) - - Show Bio

Knowing Marvel, there just isn't anything in it for them by making a Sentry film. He really isn't that well known outside of the comics. If they wanted it to be profitable, then they need to follow these steps closely. 

• Retcon his origins.
  • His hair stays short and his costume looks less DC golden age.
  • Give him an actual arch-nemesis.
  • Give him a rare dual personality disorder.
  • Kill Sentry halfway through the movie.
I'd see it.
#10 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

if it stuck to the original sentry series, yes, but then you shouldn't make a sequel and I don't trust hollywood to make the protagonist a convincing tragic villain.

#11 Posted by progenitor (7551 posts) - - Show Bio

It could absolutely work.  Following the hero, you have him battling The Void, and eventually he comes to the realization that The Void is him and he got his powers by being a junkie looking to get a fix, and in the end decides to leave the past behind and be a true hero.
#12 Edited by Enzeru--defunct (2923 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that a Sentry-movie would be awesome, if they would stick to the Paul Jenkins version of the Sentry, especially his first Volume, where Sentry appears for the first time.
The whole thing was brilliant. Besides the Miracle Man, I've never seen something as cool, new and great as that introduction into the comics like his origin was. 
It had many similarities with the Miracle Man, including the Void (Kid Miracleman all grown up? :X), but it was still better and had sharper edges.

The alcohol as the super-soldier-serum, the stressed wife, his phobias. Brilliant.
Yeah, that movie would work, if they would do the real Sentry any justice.

#13 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep his hair short, and face clean shaven. 
 Cast Armie Hammer in the lead role. 
Spend time explaining the nature of The Void and Sentry's seemingly unlimited potential. 
 Find new, mind-blowing ways to show the action. 
Towards the end, show Sentry starting to gain control over his abilities. 
Have him make his costume, but with yellow and black only. 
And finally, have his eyes glow gold, showing that he is indeed becoming something entirely different then just some "Bad Superman".

#14 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Could work if done right.
#15 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it would because he is so similar to Superman but he isn't at all close to being as well known/popular as he is, which would cause the general public, if they had any interest in the movie to begin with, to not care.

#16 Posted by Duncan (11447 posts) - - Show Bio

They should cast

#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Enzeru said:
I think that a Sentry-movie would be awesome, if they would stick to the Paul Jenkins version of the Sentry, especially his first Volume, where Sentry appears for the first time.
The whole thing was brilliant. Besides the Miracle Man, I've never seen something as cool, new and great as that introduction into the comics like his origin was. 
It had many similarities with the Miracle Man, including the Void (Kid Miracleman all grown up? :X), but it was still better and had sharper edges.

The alcohol as the super-soldier-serum, the stressed wife, his phobias. Brilliant.
Yeah, that movie would work, if they would do the real Sentry any justice.

Agreed with this. I think it'd be a better animated film, but I'd watch it either way. 
#18 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

it could work, but i would cast bradley cooper in the role due to seeing from limitless movie good movie btw. the could explore the void & the sentry. i thought he was a great character on dark avengers besides, bullseye and norman osborn. 

#19 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

I don't think it would because he is so similar to Superman but he isn't at all close to being as well known/popular as he is, which would cause the general public, if they had any interest in the movie to begin with, to not care.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Super_Ex-Girlfriend 
Apparently made money.  Do it, and ham up the "Evil/Crazy Superman" angle and it might work...
#20 Edited by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

@labarith: You have a point; a campy movie like this might work. I loathe the thought of a "campy" or comedic superhero movie about a non-comedic character, however.

It seems to me the reason "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" might have been successful was because it was essentially a chick-flick, with some star-power (Uma Thurman), where the female character is physically superior to and able to dominate her ex-boyfriend which probably appealed to the female audience the movie was abviosly aimed at. I don't think the same would hold true for a "Sentry" movie which wouldn't be aimed toward a female audience.

#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it would work, you just couldn't have the mindwipe/regaining memory angle. Mostly just focus on the Sentry/Void stuff, and end it with Robert sacrificing his life via mindwipe.

#22 Posted by naresh80 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose a modern Squadron Supreme movie (based off of the new continuity) could do the same thing, but I think they're 2 different stories - the first shows how we ask too much of Superman, the 2nd would show how he created our own problems by lying, inequity, etc.

Watch this measns war movie online
#23 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@labarith: For me personally yes.. I would see it, but overall no - If you ask the average non-comic book reading guy on the street 98% dont know who Sentry is..

But on another level, you can basicly make a succesful movie about everything, but they will need some serious funding, and i just dont see that happening for a general disliked and unknown hero.

Lets just wait for the next Superman movie instead.

#24 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Anything is possible.

#25 Posted by Dark_Sentry00 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe: Sentry cant be killed

#26 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4786 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dark_Sentry00: The proof is in the pudding. And pudding hasn't been stocked in ages.

#27 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Yes it would work, you just couldn't have the mindwipe/regaining memory angle. Mostly just focus on the Sentry/Void stuff, and end it with Robert sacrificing his life via mindwipe.
#28 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (536 posts) - - Show Bio

Once the movie rights to Spider-man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four revert back to Marvel Studios I would love to see a New Avengers movie that combined aspects of the original Sentry mini-series with the Sentry arc in New Avengers volume 1. Of course, the Sentry is one of my favorite characters of all time, so I'm definitely biased, but with Spider-Man and Wolverine in the film I'm sure it would draw an audience, and then all those movie-goers would gain exposure to such an awesome character.

#29 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: this

#30 Edited by Morphtek (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it should work well if you explain deep the character's psychology and such. Also you'll need to make the film about Jenkin's Sentry, cus Bendis Sentry 1) Sucks 2) he is too inconsistent.

The sentry is rich in every aspect. He's not like a god or a genius or a well trained assasin or a mutant that were born with powers. He was a human with the desire to become a super-hero then he took the serum to get high and bla bla bla. But what is really interesting is the fact that he faces this duality, like a normal human does, but in addition if he somehow fails this being named void comes out and wrecks the things around him

As i said above, here we have a real super hero with mental problems, moral problems. Not just the typical hero that goes out and punches and light out.

Check this facebook link https://www.facebook.com/TheSentryFilm/posts/505962046117998?notif_t=like

#31 Posted by Herokiller12344 (999 posts) - - Show Bio

There are three big problems with making a Sentry movie.

1. People would think it's a rip off of Man of Steel

2. Sentry is literally the only Superhero that can be listed as "invincible"

3. And this is a big one, The Sentry has no villains. He kinda is a villan.

#32 Posted by ChildoftheAtom (491 posts) - - Show Bio

@herokiller12344: said There are three big problems with making a Sentry movie.

1. People would think it's a rip off of Man of Steel

2. Sentry is literally the only Superhero that can be listed as "invincible"

3. And this is a big one, The Sentry has no villains. He kinda is a villan.

This. Although 2 and 3 contradict since invincible heroes are kinda boring. No real challenge. Honestly I was afraid they were going to make him the superman of marvel and every other heroe would be worthless compared to him. I wouldn't see it. The most powerful telepath. The most powerful molecule manipulator. The strongest there is. And as far as we know unharmable physically. To give credit the split personality is crazy good writing( get it?) so that he would have going for him.

#33 Edited by Philip333ify (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it will work but the origin and situation of The Sentry must be changed..Let's say The Sentry isn't mad and there is no Void but he has been given his awesome powers from a powerful cosmic Entity (The Living Tribunal )

Robert Reynolds can be a simple policeman who stands for justice , so much so that the Living Tribunal lets him become Earth's most powerful Judge.

#34 Posted by THORSON (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

yes.

marvel knows what they're doing. be confident.

#35 Posted by sophia89 (4958 posts) - - Show Bio

It could. Depends on the writer and the story.

#36 Posted by Transformers1024 (3158 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, maybe.

#37 Edited by w0nd (3904 posts) - - Show Bio

@childoftheatom: there are no other characters that are invincible?

anyways if they made it like fight club it would have, for that shocker ending, but we already know what the deal is with him so sadly that's a waste

#38 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (4573 posts) - - Show Bio

It would have to be R rated and separated from the rest of the MCU

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.