Follow

Secret Wars

Story arc »

The Secret Wars was a ground breaking mini-series from Marvel that brought all of Earth-616's greatest heroes together to battle with the worst villains under the watchful eye of the Beyonder.

Why You Should Read MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS

• 70 results
    JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By JoeEddie

"In an interesting move, the characters disappeared one month in their titles and returned the following month. This gave readers a heads up as to what the mini-series could expect (for example, the Venom symbiote actually appeared the second month in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #252 while it first appeared in the eighth issue of the series)"

Maybe it's because I am tired but this is not making since to me.

I do have the trade on my Amazon wishlist but it's going to be awhile before I read it because I have so many books ahead of it.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#52  Edited By Teerack

Secret Wars was sooooo good.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By jinxuandi

@charlieboy said:

I just wish Kitty would have been in this. She was originally but apparently it was felt by some at Marvel that Colossus was too old for Kitty so that whole contrived love story with the alien on Beyonder's world happened. The series is great otherwise.

Ah that bizarre romance between Colossus and that alien (which is the weak link of the series) all makes sense now. I wonder if Marvel planned on killing Kitty off at the end of the series like they killed the alien girl?

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

I hope for a Third Secret War

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Grey56

Have you ever tried to track down a trade for this series for less than 40 bucks - even on ebay or amazon? It's tough to do.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By dondave

Might try to buy this

whydama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By whydama

Secret Wars was good. I read them on the internet just a few years ago and I liked it.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#58  Edited By CombatSpoon86

A classic. Can't get stories like these anymore.

Sampsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Sampsman

Good stuff. Secret Wars was one of the first comics I read form Marvel as a kid. It was a great spring board for getting to know all the characters - good and bad. I love this story and still have all 12 issues (plus all nine issues of the campy Secret Wars II).

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Veshark

I remember reading this ages ago, and it was fairly entertaining, if a little dated. I don't know how well it'll hold up now though - might have to reread it again sometime.

But yeah, it was one of the first company-wide crossovers in comic-book history, and while some might hate that it kick-started events, you can't deny that Secret Wars left a mark in the medium. Also, black costume Spidey!

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By jwalser3

I haven't read it. But seeing how #8 is going for over $1,000+....I guess I'm going to get a TPB.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By Onemoreposter

I maybe be the only person who feel's this way but don't pick up Marvel's Super Hero Secret Wars if you're looking for a good story. I picked up the series on ebay a few years ago just because I knew how "important" it was in comic history. I was shocked how bad the writing was.

Marvel Super Hero Secret Wars was written for one reason. Mattel wanted to sell toys. The reason it's called secret wars to begin with is because the words "secret" and "war" tested well with child consumers. The reason Dr Doom's costume goes robo is because Mattel had a certain mold they wanted to use for the action figure. The reason there are so many bases and "flying cars" is because Mattel wanted to make play sets.

Sure. This story is important.....kind of. It was the first big crossover event of its kind. However, nothing that happened in it has remained relevant with the possible exception of Spidey's black suit. Buy this story for the history, but I beg you, do not buy this story for the story.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By New_World_Order

Cool

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Read this in 3rd grade and still remember all of the events nearly perfectly. Good stuff all around in this gem.

Avatar image for michaelthemighty17
    michaelthemighty17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

i WILL read this ill get it off comixology or something

mettlekm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mettlekm

@JoeEddie: "In an interesting move, the characters disappeared one month in their titles and returned the following month. This gave readers a heads up as to what the mini-series could expect (for example, the Venom symbiote actually appeared the second month in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #252 while it first appeared in the eighth issue of the series)"

Maybe it's because I am tired but this is not making since to me.

They are referring to publishing dates. Secret Wars was a 12 issue monthly series, so took a year to finish. The heroes like Spidey were abducted at end of an issue in their run, and returned from fighting in the Secret Wars the next with a week or a month of marvel time gone by. Spidey returned with the new symbiote costume, which was it's first publishing appearance, but publishing origin didn't happen until 8 months later. Chronology of story is The Amazing Spider-Man #251 then Secret wars 1-12 then amazing spider-man 252. But publish time line was ASM 251, SW1, AMS 252.

It wasn't like the crossovers they have now, where each titles series gets tied up in the event for a long period of time. Huge even with a lot of consequences. Where did spidey get new costume? Why did Thing disappear?

etc. GREAT STUFF at the time! Very memorable.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#67  Edited By amazing_webhead

I will, if I can get my hands on it.

adamrcorrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By adamrcorrigan

@Omega Ray Jay: Loved the bit with Storm frying Doc Ok.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Hmmm...since I've been trying to get my hands on some 80s Marvel Comics now, I'm definitely checking this out!

GST1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#70  Edited By GST1976

Secret Wars was the series that got me to recognize comics other than Batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.