Follow

Secret Wars

Story arc »

The Secret Wars was a ground breaking mini-series from Marvel that brought all of Earth-616's greatest heroes together to battle with the worst villains under the watchful eye of the Beyonder.

SECRET WARS 12" Figure Reproductions Coming From Gentle Giant

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Some of you might remember when MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS came out back in 1984. Besides being a 12-issue crossover event (which were pretty much unheard of back then), we also had a line of action figures from Mattel. Some of them spun out directly from the series, while others, like Hobgoblin or Daredevil, had no involvement in the series but still had figures. The figures came with shields that had interchangeable lenticular images.

Marvel announced at New York Comic Con they would be teaming up with Gentle Giant to produce some merchandise. What we'll see starting next year are 12" reproduction figures digitally scanned from the originals. The first to be released is Black Suit Spider-Man.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Gentle Giant digitally scanned the original figures and reproduced them in 12” scale, with no detail being overlooked. Roto and injection molded and made of durable plastics, this fully-articulated jumbo figure includes a faithfully re-produced lenticular shield. To further capture the vintage feel, Gentle Giant has packaged this figure with a Secret Wars-inspired backer card featuring original photos and artwork.

Because of the size, reproduction, and limited quantities, this first figure will sell for $90. The nice thing about the packaging is there will be a re-sealable plastic outer clam shell so you can take it out and put it back in to protect it.

My question is, will this 12" Spider-Man figure be able to stand on his own? I recall with the position of his right foot, you had to work in order to get him to stand and balance on his own.

No Caption Provided

This first SECRET WARS figure won't be released until Q3 2015 but you can pre-order the figure today over at Gentle Giants by clicking HERE. I have to say, I'm really really tempted.

Marvel also revealed there are more figures coming. The next figure is Hobgoblin. Now I'm really tempted.

No Caption Provided

Gentle Giants has done this with the original Star Wars figures as well. It's pretty impressive seeing them at such a large scale.

The other two figures coming after Hobgoblin should be obvious in the image. Can you figure out who they are?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By longbowhunter

I remember buying a bunch of the original figures way back when. I had black suit Spidey, Magneto, Daredevil, Iron Man, and Doc Ock.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

didn't like the idea of a 12 in figure but saw hobgoblin and changed my mind. wolvie and klaw as the yet-to-be-announced?

Avatar image for ghost_rider_888
    ghost_rider_888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

are theese suppose to be ugly as hell

acomicbooklook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By acomicbooklook

Spidey has a messed up neck, way too thick, that's not Eddie Brock under that mask.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Wolverine. The other looks like it might be Kang, perhaps.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'll probably have to jump on one of these !!! i had the original black costume spidey from Secret Wars but lost it when i was a child. since then i have been on the hunt for one, but didn't want to pay $100 plus for a rubber figure that was 30 years old...

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes, it's supposed to be a nostalgia trip, but I dont see why. There is no real reason to buy these than to relive your childhood. If it was an original in box then yes, but these are remade to be cheap as well to mimic the other ones, but are worth nothing because they are re releases

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa said:

didn't like the idea of a 12 in figure but saw hobgoblin and changed my mind.

Same here. they look lame, but I love Hobgoblin too much.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$90 for that??? It looks like its made out of Lego!

Pass.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@ghost_rider_888 said:

yes, it's supposed to be a nostalgia trip, but I dont see why. There is no real reason to buy these than to relive your childhood. If it was an original in box then yes, but these are remade to be cheap as well to mimic the other ones, but are worth nothing because they are re releases

Yep, I can't really see why its worth $100 for a barely articulated, giant ugly figure- if they cost less, maybe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.