Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Edited By JonesDeini
    Wheels within Wheels: Team Gray's death
    Wheels within Wheels: Team Gray's death
    And I was wondering which story arcs are essential to the main narrative? I know with Hickman "everything" matters, but I've heard this series is an exception. I already read S.H.I.E.L.D. & Fantastic Four/FF and love the interplay between his titles. I read issue 24 and loved it, so I'm going to finish Wheels Within Wheels as single issues, but which trades should I look into?
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Kairan1979
    @JonesDeini:
    Dark Reign and Siege were essential.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Kairan1979 said:
    @JonesDeini: Dark Reign and Siege were essential.
    Did you enjoy these stories or are they totally necessary to fully appreciate the S.H.I.E.L.D./Hydra/Leviathan dynamic?
    Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 353

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Blurred View

Honestly, Secret Warriors is one of those series where you should probably read the whole thing from beginning to end. Hickman really didn't do any filler arcs or standalone stories. I'm not sure why someone would've told you this is an exception to the "everything matters" nature of Hickman's writing. If anything, Secret Warriors is exactly the book that gave him that reputation. Skip any issue, and chances are you've missed something. God of Fear, God of War is the story arc that gets the closest to being skippable since it gets a little sidetracked tying into Dark Reign and sorta crossing over with Thunderbolts, but even that arc is actually a big deal not only for Phobos but because that's where Leviathan is first revealed in the B-story of the arc.

So I'd really say start with the first trade, Agent of Nothing, and make your way through the series from there. You've already read S.H.I.E.L.D. so there's no need to recommend that. Some elements of it do tie into the series like they have with Fantastic Four. Besides that... Secret Warriors really does stand on its own with the exception of a brief tie in to Thunderbolts.
    Mancotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Mancotron
    @Blurred View said:
    Honestly, Secret Warriors is one of those series where you should probably read the whole thing from beginning to end. Hickman really didn't do any filler arcs or standalone stories. I'm not sure why someone would've told you this is an exception to the "everything matters" nature of Hickman's writing. If anything, Secret Warriors is exactly the book that gave him that reputation. Skip any issue, and chances are you've missed something. God of Fear, God of War is the story arc that gets the closest to being skippable since it gets a little sidetracked tying into Dark Reign and sorta crossing over with Thunderbolts, but even that arc is actually a big deal not only for Phobos but because that's where Leviathan is first revealed in the B-story of the arc.

So I'd really say start with the first trade, Agent of Nothing, and make your way through the series from there. You've already read S.H.I.E.L.D. so there's no need to recommend that. Some elements of it do tie into the series like they have with Fantastic Four. Besides that... Secret Warriors really does stand on its own with the exception of a brief tie in to Thunderbolts.
    Absolutely. I know because I missed an issue and I felt like so much happened. Secret Warriors is one of the most intricately plotted series in Marvel right now. Well, that and S.H.I.E.L.D. Both of which are written by Hickman, so go figure.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Mancotron
    Indeed it is. Dammit, figured I could save some dough. Sigh was hoping I could avoid those Bendis issues :'(
    Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 353

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Blurred View
    @JonesDeini: Bendis doesn't really write any of the series. He wrote the team's origin during Secret Invasion, but even though his name is attached to the first arc of the series, it's really almost all Hickman.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Blurred View
    Ooooh okay, cool. That means I got a lot of backtracking to do. I grabbed #24 on a whim, guess I'll buy the issues up to the ending then go about reading the back issues. I know a friend who was following the series so I should be able to catch up that way. 
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By MrUnknown

You need to read all the Secret Warriors issues. Actually you can skip issue 7, 8 & 9. Those were more cross-over and aren't really essential.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JonesDeini
    @MrUnknown: Word, I usually buy a series as single issue, but This I'm just gonna go ahead and collect in trade. 
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrUnknown
    @JonesDeini: Well it is awesome, so you aren't wasting money. Did you read this week's issue? Awesome Fury moment. =D
    Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
    @MrUnknown: That was great issue. His last line to Strucker was exactly what I would expect from Fury.
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrUnknown
    @Mechanical_Ape: Yeah so awesome! Got any last words?
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JonesDeini
    @MrUnknown:  
    Epic...classic Fury!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.