Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman

No Caption Provided
    Viper returns to assume a new identity while Nick Fury has a confrontational dinner with Contessa and the Secret Warriors figure out their next move through a card game.

THE GOOD
    Caselli's art is just downright appealing. I kept going back through this comic just to look at it. He renders everything from Mexican stand-offs to Hydra training sessions to marshmallow-eating contests with equal skill, making even mundane kitchen activities pop off the page. I've been a fan of his work since his days on Hack/Slash and I'm shocked his work isn't getting wider recognition, now. Hickman's script worked very well... his dialogue is concise without being sparse, witty without being smug. There was a variety of great scenes throughout here, each with a different tone. Fury and Contessa's romantic/gun-packing date was genuinely surprising in how it unfolded. Viper's life story recollections were lean and mean (and I was very glad to see her return being a nod to Earth X). The best compliment I can give this book is that, even though I haven't been reading this title, even though I didn't always get the references to the sub-plots, I still got wrapped up in the characters (especially for the emotionally-charged final splash).

THE BAD
    This just needed two points of minor polish. As good as Caselli's art is, it could have been even better with an inker to tighten his lines up. Gho's coloring is great, but ink-less page rarely look good to me. Also, once again, I wish Hickman would stress more words. They would've given the longer passages of dialogue a lot more punch.

THE VERDICT
    This is how you write a monthly title. Really this one the best comics I've read this weekend. I didn't know all the back story, but I still could get follow the plot and, most importantly, I want to learn the backstory, now. That's a testament to Caselli's exceptional storytelling and Hickman's skillfully-accessible writing.

4/5
    Chimichanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Chimichanga

Good review and I agree this was an exceptionally good read.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123

Really? a four?
    maybe its because you havent really been reading it.
    but this wasnt that great for me. i would give this a 3.5 at most.
    I have always loved the art. And i hated the ending of the issue.
    It didnt leave me wanting the next issue.
    And i didnt like the cover art,

Sir Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Sir Duke

Are you for real?  Not enough words were stressed?  That has got to be the most petty, inane complaint I have ever seen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.