vagrantsaint's Secret Six #1 - Unhinged, Part One: At the Point of Puncture review

• vagrantsaint wrote this review on .
  • vagrantsaint has written a total of 51 reviews. The last one was for

A Well Kept Secret

I remember picking up the original Secret Six stuff and not liking it at all.  I can't remember who the writer was on the series back then, but I'm pretty sure the artist was Dale Englesham (not a fan, sorry, Dale).
I was happily surprised when I picked this one up.  I saw it in the comic store and thought, "Hey, why not give it another try?"  I'm so glad that I did!
In this issue, the team celebrates Scandal's birthday, all the while Scandal is still trying to cope with the death of her lover, Knockout.   They've been given a mission to break a prisoner out of Alcatraz and transport her across the country to Gotham City.  Along the way they'll pick up their sixth member (Bane is the new 5th member) in Las Vegas.  At the end of the issue, Catman gets a call from an old friend trying to warn him away from accepting the job.
Ok, lets talk about the story.  As a writer, I've never really been a fan of Gail Simone.  I'm sorry, I've heard that she's done some really good stuff, especially over in Birds of Prey - and I even read that book regularly - but I'm just not a fan of hers.  Ok, to be more accurate, I'm more of a non-fan.  I mean I don't avoid a book just because she's writing it, obviously, but I don't go out of my way to pick her stuff up  With that said, I was pleasantly surprised by this issue.  I'm going to say it that it had everything I wanted.  It even felt almost like it picked up where I'd left off with the team.  I can't remember where it was when I finally put down the old title, but Knockout had just exploded and Parademon had died somehow.  Anyways, kudos on the story.  I especially liked the talk between Deadshot and Catman and the characterization of Bane as a strong man of few words, but when he speaks it's worth listening.
The art is phenomenal!  I think Nicola Scott and Gail Simone work perfectly together.  There was nothing about the art that I didn't like and I usually get a little picky when it comes to artwork.  Keep up the awesome work, Nicola!
Until next time...