What? Someone's Saying "I Am A Secret Avenger"

• 137 results
Posted by G-Man (34414 posts) - - Show Bio

Recently we've seen a bunch of promos from Marvel with characters telling us that they're going to be Avengers.  We've seen Bucky, Spider-Woman, Iron Man, Hawkeye and Thor confirmed as Avengers in the upcoming May relaunch by Brian Michael Bendis and John Romita Jr.  Today Marvel takes a slightly different direction. 

Say it with me, "Whaaaaaat?!?"  Yes, we will have more than just one Avengers title (along with Avengers Academy).  This opens up a new can of worms.  What is this "Secret Avengers" team all about?  Last time we saw a team sort of go by this name, it was Cap's team during Civil War.  That team pretty much evolved into the New Avengers.  If the Heroic Age is coming and the good guys are back in the spotlight, why would there be a need for a team of "Secret" Avengers?   

Maybe this will be more of a black ops team like the Ultimate Avengers.  I doubt it'd be any remaining Dark Avengers trying to do either good or bad without the public knowing it.  Maybe this team will have to hunt down any remaining characters that are still loyal to Norman Osborn.   

Actually the big question should be, who the heck is this shadowy person?  We know Marvel likes to play the shadow game, as seen in the recent Ultimate X teasers.  The pose looks a little like something Spider-Man would do but the arm in the back looks a little too thick.  Also the back looks a little weird in the shadow.  Is that a cape maybe?  Who do you think it could be?  Secret Avengers will be out in May and brought to us courtesy of Ed Brubaker and Mike Deodato.  
Staff
#1 Posted by Chaos Burn (1784 posts) - - Show Bio

BEAST .... i called it

#2 Posted by thetitan0 (846 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like venom.

#3 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...it's a very Spider-Man-esque post, but it looks too beefy to be Spider-Man. Venom?

#4 Edited by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

It kinda reminds me of the sentry cape and what not.
#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Burn said:
"BEAST .... i called it "
Actually...I can see it. Good call!
#7 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

since the dude in pic is clearly agile and implied smart via the text it has to be beast really lol , although that poistion is classic spidey

#8 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio

yep, think for Beast. Just look at that giant hands

#9 Posted by Alphaproto (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Has former members of the Dark Avengers picked  up the name? 
HEY!!! That could be Dark Beast.  
Maybe not...
#10 Posted by Chaos Burn (1784 posts) - - Show Bio

It's gotta be Beast coz of the quote... and HE WAS IN THE HEROIC AGE PICTURE,,, go look it up

#11 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Spider-Man he has shoes on so its not Beast and dats a Spider-man like crouch

#12 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio
@Midnightist: But that GIANT left hand... Spider-Man has tiny ones :D
#13 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio
@timrothsays: bad art lol
#14 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio
@Midnightist: If that's really SM... Gross...
#15 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Burn:
i dont think the heroic age picture matters when it comes to the avengers promos coming out, i could be wrong tho.  

I thought it was venom at first and i like the toxin guess but i would have to say it is Beast, altho i would think the secret avengers would be like a black ops team (like x-force). and seeing as how beast probably left the x-men because he disapproves of the x force i cant see him going to that team. 

FInal decision it is Beast and im wrong about what the team will be for
#16 Posted by sam_U_rai (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panter?

#17 Posted by Chaos Burn (1784 posts) - - Show Bio
 BEAST ^^^^^ THE QUOTE MATCHES
#18 Posted by marcelo2169 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man!!!

#19 Posted by Midnightist (10858 posts) - - Show Bio
@timrothsays: probably Deodato art
#20 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Beast would focus on the problem not the solution. I think it is either Venom or Toxin. Due to the Spider Man like crouch and the bulky build. 

#21 Edited by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by mister garbage (365 posts) - - Show Bio
@sam_U_rai said:
" Black Panter? "
Hmmmm.... maybe. Good call.
#23 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

If bru wasn't writing this, it'd be a definite pass. As it is it's a probable pass. 

The figure looks reptilian to me.

#24 Edited by crawler822001 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

since when did beast get all his fingers back? didn't he loose a few when he turned into a cat?

#25 Posted by -Eclipse- (7588 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this interests me. 

I was considering adding Avengers to my subscription, simply cause, ya know, it's the Avengers. But with Bendis writing and Romita Jr (who CAN be very good, but sometimes not so good...) on the art, I was hesitant... 

But Secret Avengers? Ed Brubaker? Mike Deodato? Yes, please. 

Still... Depends entirely on the roster, really...

#26 Posted by Zombielunch (42 posts) - - Show Bio

anti-venom? 

focus on the solution (anti-venom, the cure) not the problem (venom, the poison)

#27 Edited by Maniac2312 (927 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chane said:

"If bru wasn't writing this, it'd be a definite pass. As it is it's a probable pass.  The figure looks reptilian to me. "

I was thinkin the reptilian angle as well....Lizard an Avenger? 

The Shroud.....or Cloak both drawn badly :P.......or Franckencastle
#28 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Burn said:
" BEAST .... i called it "
and a good call that is. I could for sure see that its beast. but i think the real news here is ed burbaker and mike deodato are writing this series!!! I was so unhappy hearing that JRJR is doing the avengers title and that news just got me back to being very happy and excited! sweet!
#29 Posted by BaronVonDredd (250 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather see Mike Deodato do the regular Avengers!!
#30 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

The Lizard

#31 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah is Beast

#32 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to stop letting JRJR do the art for epic comics.He's not that good.

#33 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought they'd refer to them as Dark Avengers, but Secret Avengers works.  

Brubaker + Deodato = Win. I'm in.

#34 Posted by Queen's Halo (2431 posts) - - Show Bio

Checking ... .... .... ok, I'll roll with it. 

Oh, this is so totally going to be a rip-off (no offense) of X-Force.

#35 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

if beast is on the team i hope wonder man will be as well. 

#36 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

Just to be different.......Hank Pym with a new identity! Actually my first thought was that it might be Spider-Man but I'm kinda hoping the people that said Beast are right.

#37 Posted by AirDave817 (813 posts) - - Show Bio

I now have no interest in following any Avengers...

#38 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

He's too thin for Beast, don't you think? Plus doesn't Beast usually go barefoot (eg toes/claws visible)?

I dunno, I see Spider-Man or Black Panther. It's certainly a good contortionist.

#39 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by RozZzje (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Since when does Beast sport a cape and boots? I'm going with Black Panther on this one...

#41 Posted by TheHood (155 posts) - - Show Bio

My first thought was Venom, but i can see Beast in that shadow too. In any case, Brubaker's writing, so I'm already excited.

#42 Posted by ironshadow (1470 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zombielunch said:
" anti-venom?  focus on the solution (anti-venom, the cure) not the problem (venom, the poison) "
interesting idea, it could work
#43 Posted by danhimself (22560 posts) - - Show Bio

if it is Beast then they screwed up his hands pretty badly

#44 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

Just when I thought I could dump all the Avengers titles after Siege, Marvel reels me back in  : P
#45 Posted by monamos (101 posts) - - Show Bio

am i the only perve that thinks the middle lump is this dude's package? (and a quite impressive one)

#46 Posted by smalltropolis (22 posts) - - Show Bio

The Lizard! But it could also be Beast Man...

#47 Edited by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Its the monkey dude.  Looks like a cape but the Mighty Joe Young has a trench coat on.  No one saw that.  And he's got big ass hands, but it looks like they have shoes or boots on so it might not be Beast or the Ape.  Who the hell is Ape anyway? Actually looking at it again i don't see a cape at all just a big body so now im totally confused.  No idea who it is.  Never mind.
#48 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2065 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man!

#49 Posted by theSuperAlbino (15 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey: His name's Gorilla Man and he's part of the Agents of Atlas. Atleast I think that's who you're talking about. 

I could see this being Venom but Beast and Gorilla Man are out. Or Deodato got really lazy...
#50 Posted by Zombielunch (42 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: beast has five fingers in the heroic age poster, could be beast

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.