Follow

Secret Avengers

Team » Secret Avengers appears in 341 issues.

The Secret Avengers are a black ops branch of the Avengers. Assembled by Steve Rogers in the Heroic Age. The team is now a highly secret branch of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Thoughts on the new Secret Avengers

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

Edited By DMC

As overjoyed as I was to hear that Rick Remender will be the permanent writer on Secret Avengers (starting February), some of that joy was sucked away when I saw the new roster and more importantly their new leader.

Members

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

While I’m more than willing to be proven wrong about this roster, at the moment I can’t help but feel that the inclusion of Captain Britain, Hammond Torch(?) and Hank Pym (another science guy?) deviate a bit too far from the kind of characters that should be in a “black ops” unit, not that they all have to be (ex) soldiers/warriors mind you……or be dressed in dark colors.

Hank Pym would work imo if he was still the Wasp but a Giant Man doesn't really fit (imo) and I'm not convinced a "human torch" does either....but I could be wrong.

Venom is okay I guess but Black Panther would have been more ideal, Vision would have been great as well (if the Acuna covers are true).

Leader

I understand why Marvel/Remender put Hawkeye on the team (Black Widow) but I just don’t like the idea of him as their leader. I’m sure he has the leadership qualities, he did lead the Thunderbolts at one point (right?)

My real problem with this decision is more about who wasn’t chosen.

A Missed Opportunity
    A Missed Opportunity

Why oh why didn’t they choose Mockingbird?

After what Jim McCann did with her character (in Avengers: The Reunion & Hawkeye & Mockingbird), Secret Avengers would be the PERFECT book for Bobby to spread her wings and live up to her potential as the “world’s most dangerous super spy” which she really isn’t doing in New Avengers. I don’t know what future plans Bendis has for her but I don’t think it could beat Bobby getting back in the spy game as leader of a black ops Avengers squad. She’d feel right at home ^_^

Regardless of her current (super soldier) state, Bobby as leader is a better fit all around IMO. No offense Hawkeye.

So what do you think of the new Secret Avengers?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#1  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @DMC said:

As overjoyed as I was to hear that Rick Remender will be the permanent writer on Secret Avengers (starting February), some of that joy was sucked away when I saw the new roster and more importantly their new leader.

Members

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

While I’m more than willing to be proven wrong about this roster, at the moment I can’t help but feel that the inclusion of Captain Britain, Hammond Torch(?) and Hank Pym (another science guy?) deviate a bit too far from the kind of characters that should be in a “black ops” unit, not that they all have to be (ex) soldiers/warriors mind you……or be dressed in dark colors.

Hank Pym would work imo if he was still the Wasp but a Giant Man doesn't really fit (imo) and I'm not convinced a "human torch" does either....but I could be wrong.

Venom is okay I guess but Black Panther would have been more ideal, Vision would have been great as well (if the Acuna covers are true).

First off the Secret Avengers are an espionage group not "Black Ops" 

Hank is incredible scientist who clearly outclasses Beast, he probably wont even have to leave the lab. Captain Britain and Jim Hammond are much needed powerhouses

Leader

I understand why Marvel/Remender put Hawkeye on the team (Black Widow) but I just don’t like the idea of him as their leader. I’m sure he has the leadership qualities, he did lead the Thunderbolts at one point (right?)

My real problem with this decision is more about who wasn’t chosen.

A Missed Opportunity
    A Missed Opportunity

Why oh why didn’t they choose Mockingbird?

After what Jim McCann did with her character (in Avengers: The Reunion & Hawkeye & Mockingbird), Secret Avengers would be the PERFECT book for Bobby to spread her wings and live up to her potential as the “world’s most dangerous super spy” which she really isn’t doing in New Avengers. I don’t know what future plans Bendis has for her but I don’t think it could beat Bobby getting back in the spy game as leader of a black ops Avengers squad. She’d feel right at home ^_^

Regardless of her current (super soldier) state, Bobby as leader is a better fit all around IMO. No offense Hawkeye.

So what do you think of the new Secret Avengers?

the main reason Bobbi wasn't in this series for the same reason Hawkeye & Mockingbird was canceled, because Bendis is a douchebag who cares more about his own vision for the MU than for what makes the fans happy. Then there is the fact that Hawkeye has closer ties to Steve Rogers and more leadership experience from his days with the Thunderbolts and the West Coast Avengers. And of course there is also name recognition for those who new readers.Its not really like Hawkeye is outof his element, he was a S.H.I.E.L .D agent for a while .
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DMC

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Hmmm forgot about the West Coast Avengers. I guess I would just find Mockingbird as leader more interesting than Hawkeye. With all the effort Marvel put in to bringing her back why not give her more opportunities to be a more prominent character in the Marvel U? Hawkeye's already got Avengers Solo and Ultimate Hawkeye....and UMvC3....and the movie. And wouldn't the fact that she doesn't have close ties to Steve Rogers make her a better person for the job, ya know considering the nature of this group? The less ties to Steve the better right?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @DMC said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Hmmm forgot about the West Coast Avengers. I guess I would just find Mockingbird as leader more interesting than Hawkeye. With all the effort Marvel put in to bringing her back why not give her more opportunities to be a more prominent character in the Marvel U? Hawkeye's already got Avengers Solo and Ultimate Hawkeye....and UMvC3....and the movie. And wouldn't the fact that she doesn't have close ties to Steve Rogers make her a better person for the job, ya know considering the nature of this group? The less ties to Steve the better right?

i know how you feel. i wasnt trying to say that him having more ties to Steve was necessarily better but definitely understandable
    Avatar image for incrediblesplosions
    IncredibleSplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So Steve Rogers isn't leading them anymore???

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @IncredibleSplosions said:

So Steve Rogers isn't leading them anymore???

nope. he's going to lead the main team again.
    IncredibleSplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Sweet!!! I hope we don't see an end to the Steve Rogers: Super Soldier uniform. I thought that uniform was awesome and really enjoyed the "Steve Rogers: Super Soldier" limited run.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @IncredibleSplosions said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Sweet!!! I hope we don't see an end to the Steve Rogers: Super Soldier uniform. I thought that uniform was awesome and really enjoyed the "Steve Rogers: Super Soldier" limited run.

It's already been shown thet he is going back to being Captain America 

Avengers #18
    Avengers #18
    IncredibleSplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Although I like him as Captain America, I will miss that uniform. At least I have the tee shirt!!! :D Sorry, I'm not up to date on Captain America. I've been really busy with college and haven't had the time to stay current. :D

It is good to have him back as the leader of The Avengers though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.