Off My Mind: Why are the Secret Avengers a Secret?

• 55 results
Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio
When Steve Rogers returned after Red Skull's scheme to take over his body failed, he left Bucky Barnes with the mantle of Captain America and became the commander of the Avengers. With S.H.I.E.L.D. and H.A.M.M.E.R. no longer active, Steve is also the peacekeeper for the world. What people aren't aware of is he is in charge of one other group as well —the Secret Avengers

Does this team really have to be a secret? Steve Rogers gathered Beast, Nova, Valkyrie, Black Widow, War Machine, Ant-Man and Moon Knight for their first mission that took them to Mars. The idea of heroes going to another planet and having a battle could be something the average citizen would not approve of (think of the cost!). There's also the secret Shadow Council and Max Fury that would only cause panic if their existence were known. 

The team's roster has changed slightly as Nova is no longer around and who knows if War Machine will be able to be active since he's taken on new duties in Iron Man 2.0. The team's second mission continued their battle against the Shadow Council and added Shang-Chi's evil father. Still, it didn't really seem like a super secret mission once again. 

There seems to be something to keeping the team a secret. Soon in Secret Avengers #12.1, the secret will be out and there will be a rush to save compromised superhuman assets. How much of an effect will this have on the team and is there really a need for the secret?   
== TEASER == 
It was odd from the beginning to have someone like Eric O'Grady on a secret team. Yes he wouldn't be someone the Avengers would want to advertise as a member but more so, you would think he'd have a hard time keeping that secret. He's already told a woman he picked up and was casually talking about it in the pages of The Avengers when all the members gathered to solve problem with the Infinity Gems

When the idea of a secret team of Avengers was announced, I envisioned them sort of like X-Force but with way less killing. What the Secret Avengers should be doing is solving world-wide dangers without going through official channels. I see them secretly battling evil forces in foreign lands and crossing the boarders into places like Latveria. Then again, having secrets (and a Secret War) is what got Nick Fury in trouble in the first place. 

I think if the heroes have learned anything during Siege, Dark Reign and Secret Invasion, it's they can't sit around waiting to avenge any wrong-doings. With the change in the threats of today, it might be necessary for the Avengers, or at least a team of Avengers, to take a cue from Wolverine's X-Force. They should consider taking the initiative to seek out potential threats to the world and deal with them before it's too late. The heroes and the world have suffered many losses recently and it's time for them to step up and deal with the next big threat before even more lives are lost. Otherwise, what really is the need to keep the team a secret?
Staff
#1 Posted by leokearon (1751 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a good question, maybe Steve doesn't want any media attention. Also Marvel love people keeping secrets from each other
#2 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe there is a secret goal to it. We'll see it soon enough.

#3 Posted by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
" Maybe there is a secret goal to it. We'll see it soon enough. "
That's what I'm thinking or like G-Man to go to foreign borders illegally to solve problems. 
I also agree that the should be doing more like X-Force such as stopping problems before.
I think the point of keeping the team secret is just to have an ace in the hole. A team your enemies don't know about so they can do thing without drawing attention because Avengers teams (the public ones) have a habit of drawing people's attention to whatever they are doing.
#4 Posted by AFArtist1973 (113 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that like any one commander of a virtual super powered army, you need to have a group of people who can strike hard, strike fast, and be the kind of operatives that if they become "KIA" that it won't generate the type of "Oh my God, the Avengers did that?" publicity that Rogers wants to avoid.    

He even said it to the Avengers team, "I have picked you for this."   

He picked the main team to instill a sense of security to the US and the world that, "we are here and we will handle this."    

Luke Cage's team takes care of the everyday man/street level threats.   

Heck, the Thunderbolts teams are a way for Rogers to give people a second chance.  And Luke Cage and Steve Rogers are always into the second chances.

This Secret team is no different from the type of operatives to take care of the down and dirty missions that someone might get killed in, and the conditions are grey, but not black.  I can understand that being in the military myself.  It's a take it to the enemy mentality, but don't cross the line.

Captain Rogers doesn't make a move without planning it out.  That's why all of the Avengers trust him. 

Those are my two cents... --Jim

#5 Edited by antiterra (168 posts) - - Show Bio

The New Avengers during the Civil War, as well as both New and Mighty teams during Dark Reign would have deserved to be called "Secret": they all operated outside and against the law (against the Superhero Registration Act, then against Osborn), so they had to remain hidden, operate in secret as much as possible, keep their locations secret...

But this team? Their operations may not be public knowledge, but all of the individual members are out and about, hardly hidden, hardly secret. Besides, they're on the side of the angels, so I'm not sure why they have to be secret.

So... secret from the public? No reason.

Secret from the other heroes? They're hardly X-Force, slaughtering their way to a better tomorrow and shooting kids in the head. Again, no reason.

Secret from their enemies? That's the only explanation that makes a lick of sense: as long as they're secret, villains might not see them coming. They're not as conspicuous as the regular Avengers, hanging out in their tower and having a very public profile. (Good luck doing anything secret with Tony Stark on your team.)

But then, that brings up another question: how long can they reasonably hope to remain secret for? Max Fury and the Shadow Council are still out there and they know about Rogers's team: how long until every supervillain on the planet finds out about it, too?

They're probably just called Secret Avengers because it sounds better than Proactive Avengers or Black Ops Avengers. :)

#6 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

We need more secret teams in DC.

#7 Posted by TDK_1997 (14434 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are they secret?Nobody knows.

#8 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:

" We need more secret teams in DC. "

Well, we already have the Secret Six, the Outsiders, the Shadowpact, the Freedom Fighters and in a sort of way, the Young Justice were also a secret team not openly known to the public back then.
But only the Secret Six and the Outsiders really "work" as these Secret Avengers & the X-Force.

Anyway, in relation to this post. I always thought the main objective of a secret team, more than being secret to other heroes or the public, was to be kept a secret from the potential enemies, right?
#9 Posted by KJPPPimp (77 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems less of a Secret Avengers team and more of a super-powered strike force for SHIELD (or whatever its called now the Steve's In charge) like the Ultimates but not working directly for the US Government. What I'm hoping is with this Infinity Gauntlet arc coming up this team will be responsible for the fubars of the Illuminati and Hammer that might not have made it to light yet. Osborn had a lot of pet projects that could potentially mean new enemies. Personally, I think the Secret Warriors are the only major team that actually does cool secret spy stuff in the MU. And Hawkeye, Mockingbird and the WCA too.

#10 Posted by g33ky monk3y (131 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not feeling this "Secret" group. Brubaker does some great modern noir, and the awesome super hero espionage thing with the Captain America book, but SA doesn't feel right. So far the threats they've handled have been closer to Mighty Avengers caliber, which is now just Avengers. I think Secret Avengers was Marvel's way of cashing in on Brubaker's success from Captain America, the thought being that if he did so well with 2-3 characters in CA, than he could do something amazing with a team of 5+ heroes. I haven't been amazed yet.
#11 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Ant-Man's a douche! Someone please tell why he's on the Secret Avengers team.

#12 Posted by Soldier zero (250 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the first issue of the serie the whole point of this Secret Avengers was to be proactive as opposed to more traditional teams that tend to be reactive instead, which is something that the MU always frowned about. The basic idea is that they won't wait for the supervillain to develop his scheme and try to stop him then, but they'll pounce him before he even got a chance to act.

Plus there's a new unwritten rula that any team must have a black ops counterpart (I'm waiting to see the Black Ops version of the Fantastic Four)

#13 Posted by Chris2KLee (173 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty good point, I mean the missions have been out of sight but nothing that needs to be covered up. I was hoping this would be more similar to how Warren Ellis wrote Stormwatch in the early 90's with a Stormwatch Black becoming the team's covert operations group, taking on tasks that would cause trouble if they could be traced back to the main teams. I like the team make up though, they just need more stories with actual covert objectives.

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (57706 posts) - - Show Bio
shhh they're secret...
#15 Posted by SC (12508 posts) - - Show Bio

Trust. Steve is going though a learning experience.  Plus villains use to plan for Avengers, thats easier when you know who is on the team. If they didn't, would be a bit harder to balance resources. 

#16 Posted by GalactaSurfer (429 posts) - - Show Bio

I think traditionally the Avengers have been a very public group to the point of announcing members before the public and meeting with the mayor. The Secret Avengers on the other hand formed without any fanfare and arent saving the world on live TV.

#17 Posted by GalactaSurfer (429 posts) - - Show Bio
@g33ky monk3y said:
" I'm not feeling this "Secret" group. Brubaker does some great modern noir, and the awesome super hero espionage thing with the Captain America book, but SA doesn't feel right. So far the threats they've handled have been closer to Mighty Avengers caliber, which is now just Avengers. I think Secret Avengers was Marvel's way of cashing in on Brubaker's success from Captain America, the thought being that if he did so well with 2-3 characters in CA, than he could do something amazing with a team of 5+ heroes. I haven't been amazed yet. "
I totally agree with you.  Bru's showings on team books have been lack luster.

I also think Marvel fumbled big time by throwing characters on a team that Bru wasnt really interested in writing or wasnt able to keep around due to other books plots.
#18 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are the Secret Avengers a secret? I can't tell you, it's a secret... Duh!

#19 Posted by greenlucario (208 posts) - - Show Bio

It is weird... the concept was cool to start with but with ant man spreading the "secret" around all over the place it's almost pointless.  Plus Steve flipped out on Tony over the Illuminati, and although the Illuminati is different from the Secret Avengers Steve seems like a hypocrite for flipping over the Illuminait's existence.  And if the Shadow Council wanted to deal with the Secret Avengers all they'd need to do would be expose them to the world as an existing team.  the Shadow Council has probably had a good deal of experience fading into the background so I doubt it would be an issue to expose the Secret Avengers and not come into the light themselves.

#20 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss nova :/ 

#21 Posted by xkoenig (393 posts) - - Show Bio
@GalactaSurfer: You don't think that Bru picked the members of the team?
#22 Posted by xkoenig (393 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree with you Tony. I think the book and the team have been fine - the secret part is that their enemies don't know they exist (like they know the regular Avengers exist). That gives Steve a jump on taking down threats that he finds out about. The first arc issues #1 to 10 has been solid - I've really enjoyed it. Yes, Brubaker is leaving now, but Nick Spencer is getting rave reviews for his writing so I'm optimistic about the future of the book.

#23 Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio
@xkoenig I think you misunderstood me. I love this book and Brubaker. I was ecstatic with the roster even if they weren't all fully utilized. The two missions they've gone on haven't necessarily required complete secrecy. I think there's so much more kick ass things they could be doing.

As for being keeping the roster a secret from villains, is that really necessary with all the different Avengers teams? The bad guys won't know who's going to show up. For a while, it wasn't even clear who was on the Avengers and who on the New Avengers.
Staff
#24 Posted by xkoenig (393 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: Sorry G-Man - I didn't mean to sound cranky! I think another reason for being Secret is so they can go where they like in the World in order to fight their enemies under cover. Like spies, foreign governments don't know exactly what spies are doing in their countries, and it's the same with the Secret Avengers - like when the Shadow Council plane crashed in China, Steve was worried about causing an international incident. The regular Avengers have to act openly and there needs to be a special reason for them to just waltz into, say China, as they are really the most official, American superhero team, operating under US government authority. The teams operate under different rules, and it kinda makes sense when you think about it like that. It's like the US army going and doing something versus the CIA going and doing something. One will raise eyebrows if they show up in China, the other are probably operating there all the time without anyone knowing. Bad guys know about the CIA, but that doesn't mean the CIA loses its power to do stuff and operate against enemies.
#25 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
THIS^
#26 Posted by Midnight Monk (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Well for one if the recent Avengers & Hulk book are any indication, the Secret Avengers aren't very "secret". They're pretty much just the "Cool" Avengers if you will or loner Avengers since the majority of the team consist of people who more often than not work alone minus Beast & Rogers. I say the only covert thing they;ve done so far are they're missions in their own book but they sure do love popping up in broad day light in every other book which is strange for a "secret" team.

I think Steve should really take some ques from Wolverine & Cyclops and learn how to run a secret team proper

#27 Posted by goldenshot80 (7349 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:
" shhh they're secret... "
LOl
#28 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

12 more issues, and the plug will be pulled

#29 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats the point of a secret team? 
there only going to get themselves found out with someone dying, it the law!
#30 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Sharon Carter?

#31 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

This strange dichotomy is part of the reason that I left the book.  Not only did I feel like the concept wasn't being fulfilled, but it just didn't feel like a team. 
It felt like Steve Rogers running around doing everything with Valkyrie and Moon Knight standing in the background.  Hell, in the first story-arc, Nova is the ENEMY, so anyone buying the book because he was supposed to be an Avenger would be sorely disappointed.

#32 Posted by MannyMAR (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Marvel loves their secrets. C'mon they even had 3 Secret Wars!

#33 Posted by Spiderslike (652 posts) - - Show Bio

Truthfully it may just be literally for style points. The reason we have such a hard time with them supposedly being secret is because they aren't killing. They really aren't doing anything to questionable. There only real secret factor is basically this is such a stealth team to get in quick and quiet but their just isn't the level of drama involved in X-Force. A more precise name to me would just be the Stealth Avengers

#34 Posted by conformist21 (413 posts) - - Show Bio

they ain't secret, just black ops,
just calling it secret cuz it sounds kewler...
black ops avengers?
naw naw
secret avengers

#35 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

Its just another black ops team

Secret Avangers vs X-Force coming soon

#36 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Because their entire first arc was one long secret mission???? Because they're staying out of the public eye? Because they aren't on file and don't operate like any other Avengers team? Because they're allowed to kill if needed?

#37 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@Larkin1388 said:
" Why are the Secret Avengers a secret? I can't tell you, it's a secret... Duh! "
LOL
#38 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't it obvious?  Secret organizations can often hide large budgets and wage bonuses.

#39 Posted by JonesDeini (3619 posts) - - Show Bio

These guys operate in broad day, folk. Nothing secret about them in that respect, G-Man. I chalk their name up to marketing, "Secret" just sounds cooler. 

#40 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Eyz said:
" @TheMess1428 said:

Well, we already have the Secret Six, the Outsiders, the Shadowpact, the Freedom Fighters and in a sort of way, the Young Justice were also a secret team not openly known to the public back then. But only the Secret Six and the Outsiders really "work" as these Secret Avengers & the X-Force.  Anyway, in relation to this post. I always thought the main objective of a secret team, more than being secret to other heroes or the public, was to be kept a secret from the potential enemies, right? "
But the Secret Six isn't a secret team made from a major hero team. They're mostly just villains. Outsiders technically are a secret team though.
#41 Posted by JonesDeini (3619 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix said:
" This strange dichotomy is part of the reason that I left the book.  Not only did I feel like the concept wasn't being fulfilled, but it just didn't feel like a team. It felt like Steve Rogers running around doing everything with Valkyrie and Moon Knight standing in the background.  Hell, in the first story-arc, Nova is the ENEMY, so anyone buying the book because he was supposed to be an Avenger would be sorely disappointed. "
Bingo 

@xkoenig:  
Whoaaaaa, nelly!!!! Say again!!! Nick Spencer?!!! He's quite possibly my favorite writer in this moment and time. Such an immense talent. Everything's he's touched thus far has been excellent. I quit this book, but I may step back in for his arc. I'm sure he's going to do something very interesting with this title. 
#42 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3443 posts) - - Show Bio
@greenlucario said:
" It is weird... the concept was cool to start with but with ant man spreading the "secret" around all over the place it's almost pointless.  Plus Steve flipped out on Tony over the Illuminati, and although the Illuminati is different from the Secret Avengers Steve seems like a hypocrite for flipping over the Illuminait's existence.  And if the Shadow Council wanted to deal with the Secret Avengers all they'd need to do would be expose them to the world as an existing team.  the Shadow Council has probably had a good deal of experience fading into the background so I doubt it would be an issue to expose the Secret Avengers and not come into the light themselves. "
I agree with everything except I don't think that the concept was ever cool. I'm not even really sure why Valkyrie is in the line up rofl.
#43 Posted by The Impersonator (4921 posts) - - Show Bio

Moon Knight will be going solo again since his new series is coming up.

#44 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Compare this team of Secret Avengers to the actual team of Avengers, and find out what makes their missions much more different from each other. 

Mostly because of this team of SECRET Avengers infiltration purposes, being more mission oriented instead of saving the world from universal threats as the actual team of Avengers (even though they still manage to do the same), and uncovering secrets. 

Anyways, Secret Avengers was probably a better name than Covert Ops Avengers or something like that.
#45 Posted by noj (1061 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I just realized Steve Rogers is kinda a hypocrite. He is allowed to have a team of "Secret" Avengers, but he gets all in Tony Stark's face for having a secret "team" of his own, the Illuminati?

#46 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they like to whisper??

#47 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Marvel are idiots and couldn't think of another title? They put Secret there to sound more badass and edgy.

#48 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, but seriously, the whole "Secret" thing has not paid off yet, being that every Avenger team met up for the Infinity Gem story arc going on in the main Avengers title. Yes, Steve does seem to be a bit of a hypocrite, but what really seems to be going on in the writers are doing the same thing they did with Xavier in the X-Men, making him do things you wouldn't expect him to do to give the character more depth. Xavier seemed to be moving closer toward more Magneto-like methods.  
   The real secret may only be known to Steve himself as to why he put the team together. The serpents crown had to do with the first story arc and the last, right? And that lead us to John Steele, the "first" Super Soldier. What if this all was Steve's plan, and it all has something to do with the SSS/program, and Steve didn't want anyone to know. He doesn't want to bring SHEILD back for his own personal reasons, but makes this team instead. SHIELD, I'm sure started with not as many soldiers, and eventually grew into the monster that it was. It seems that Steve is worried about something, and is going about it in 'Nick Fury'-like ways, no matter how hard he tries to avoid that fate.

#49 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@noj said:

" Wow I just realized Steve Rogers is kinda a hypocrite. He is allowed to have a team of "Secret" Avengers, but he gets all in Tony Stark's face for having a secret "team" of his own, the Illuminati? "

Bit different though. The Secret Avengers are just a black ops group, the Illuminati were a group of people who were not as cool as Black Bolt manipulating others to their own ends. There was nothing heroic about them.
#50 Posted by howlett76 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

steve rogers simply achknowleges that from where he sits a  black ops team is needed and considering his comfortability with the avengers concept   kind of a given...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.